[0.90] Lazor System v35 (Dec 17)

Romfarer

rkman i have thoroughly investigated the issue and i believe i have found the cause. :) This is a really good find btw. It is not caused by a bug in Lazor System. But Lazor System is triggering it.

Let me explain:

The way Lazor System triggers this bug is because Lazor System modifies the loading and unloading distance for all vessels in the game. Normally this distance is something like 2250 but Lazor system sets this to 95000.

The direct cause of the bug seems to be a ksp bug related to rapid loading and unloading of vessels.

With the range extending features of Lazor System. Your vessel A2 is loaded and unloaded every time it passes over the Lazor System vessel on the launch pad. And when you crank the warp up to 1000x it loads and unloads the A2 vessel faster than the game can handle, which causes a nullpointer exception which in turn makes it impossible to end flight.

To illustrate this i have created a test case which will trigger this bug in KSP with no mods installed.

Steps to re-produce:

Load up the attached persisten.sfs.

Set the time warp to 1000x.

After a few passes this will trigger the exception.

I will forward this bug report to the devs.

I also noticed that your Lazor System vessel from the persistence.sfs file you attached is not set up correctly. You probably made it like that to illustrate the bug, but if you have problems using the system i\'ll be happy to explain it. I can also fix your persistence.sfs if need be. Again, thanks a lot for your bug report, i\'m sure the devs will find it interesting.

Hey Romfarer,

I have some criticism but it is completely my opinion and it is about usability & balance.

Point 1.

I kind of dislike the interface. It is overwhelming and not really customizable. It is also pretty big and taking up loads of the screen. Maybe something along the lines of MechJeb would be really awesome.

Point 2.

Balance the parts itself. It is extremely irritating to make these lazors because they are little. Not to mention that you need very little to create a lot. You having transporters, tractors beams & KPS's systems.

I would love to see the KPS system as a kind of antenna/radar, transporter as its own module and that counts the same for the rest. For the rest, it is an amazing plugin. Just the balance & parts feel really wrong.

Point 1.

I kind of dislike the interface. It is overwhelming and not really customizable. It is also pretty big and taking up loads of the screen. Maybe something along the lines of MechJeb would be really awesome.

I am planning to do some re-structuring of the interface. Specifically the Subsystems window. It will be possible to open these in their own windows. I also plan to make all the windows move out of the structure they are laid out in now, but also have an option to make them snap back again.

Point 2.

Balance the parts itself. It is extremely irritating to make these lazors because they are little. Not to mention that you need very little to create a lot. You having transporters, tractors beams & KPS's systems.

I would love to see the KPS system as a kind of antenna/radar, transporter as its own module and that counts the same for the rest. For the rest, it is an amazing plugin. Just the balance & parts feel really wrong.

If i can fix the snap on the small parts i will. But at the same time i don't want to make them too big. Many of the systems will move to a scheme where the more lazors you run the systems with, the more effect you will get. This is fully implemented in the new tractor beam systems. Right now the system will assigns all magenta lazors on your vessels to this system, not just a random counterpart group. If you want to lift heavy stuff, you will need A LOT of these lazors.

Should the tractor beam focus on the target like the other lazors or no? Not sure if this is working for me.

The tractor beam system will apply force at whatever the magenta lazors is pointing at. You will have to use the up, down, left, right to aim the lazors. It will also be usefull to press the C button (chase mode) on the upper part of the main window and follow up by pressing the L button (lock mode). That will aim all the lazors at whatever you are targeting. If you have a small vessel, and point the magenta lazors at the ground, it will "push kerbin away" :P

Thanks for the update, it works very well with rockets now.

Let me know if you find any other issues.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Nice find Romfarer :) I am testing your current Lazor now, it is coming along nicely, I probably won't have any suggestions for you tonight though.

As to the title change, I thought you could edit your post but it looks like it's not possible any more, I'll get back to you in a few minutes on this.

Update

To edit your thread title, you must first click to edit your original post, then click on the "Go Advanced" button below the edit box, this will present new options including the ability to change your title.

Edited by sal_vager

You can aim the Lazor at the ground and get a distance reading :)

There are so many options with the Lazor now, it's amazing what it can do.

Quick edit:

The surface parameters box seems to give you your height above the ground instead of sea level :)

Edited by sal_vager

You can aim the Lazor at the ground and get a distance reading :)

There are so many options with the Lazor now, it's amazing what it can do.

Quick edit:

The surface parameters box seems to give you your height above the ground instead of sea level :)

YAY!!! now I won't be afraid to launch to the Mun to rescue Bob. One rescue lander coming up!

I honestly wonder if there is anything Romfarer cannot accomplish at this point, and fuel transfer beams, oh my how will they work?

Thanks :D For the most part i really feel like that, but sadly i spend 95% of the development time figuring out something in the KSP API or fixing weird bugs. Well, perhaps if i spent more than 5% of the time actually implementing new stuff, i wouldn't have to bug fix so much.....haha :P

Concerning the altitude issue: You can also turn on Lazor Vision, that will enable an overlay which will indicate distance and angle for anything ANY lazor hits.

Fuel transfer will be a vessel to vessel and a vessel to Fuel Tank (the one at ksp) kind of thing. It will be a "slow" timed transfer, and each transfer lazor (probably yellow color) will transfer a set amount per second. The more of these lazors you add, the faster the fuel transfer will go.

<s>Here's the issue I'm having with Beta 5:

There was no difference what screen resolution was set, from 800x600 to 1280x1024 result was just the same.

I'll gladly provide any information required... I just don't know what to provide</s>

Nevermind, I just didn't get it that there must be only one LazorSystem in the vessel. Everything worked fine as I remove excess ones.

Moreover, "LazorSystem" part has "KPS" PartModule connected, but as I can see from the code, this module is not even compiled in Beta 5...

Edited by Tosh

@Tosh: I take it the thumbnails you provided was a result of having more than one lazor system on your vessel?

And thanks for the Heads up. I forgot to remove that part module after i move it's peristance to PluginData/romfarer/kps.txt.

Any other issues?

@Tosh: I take it the thumbnails you provided was a result of having more than one lazor system on your vessel?
Yep. Just add two of 'em -- and GUI goes screwed up.

It's not the only case when GUI fails though... as I switched back and forth between main vessel and EVAing kerbanaut I also lost Functions/Targets/Parameters buttons... as well as Game Paused menu and End Flight window (!!!). I'm still looking for consistent steps-to-reproduce.

BTW, excellent job with that target camera! Mind me 'stealing' the code? :o

Edited by Tosh

Yep. Just add two of 'em -- and GUI goes screwed up.

It's not the only case when GUI fails though... as I switched back and forth between main vessel and EVAing kerbanaut I also lost Functions/Targets/Parameters buttons... as well as Game Paused menu and End Flight window (!!!). I'm still looking for consistent steps-to-reproduce.

I'm going to add something that will inform the user that only one lazor system can be placed on a vessel.

I have had other reports about the end flight window. I have only been able to reproduce this bug once, and that was related to a ksp bug. If you can reproduce this it would be really helpfull.

BTW, excellent job with that target camera! Mind me 'stealing' the code? :o

I guess it is only fair as i have 'stolen' some code from your plugins :P What are you going to use it for?

Hello Plugin-Powered Addon Releases section :D This thread has been in the Plugin Development and Projects as the Lazor System has been in continous development since late April. Lazor System is still being developed and i will try to update it bi-weekly.

I'm going to add something that will inform the user that only one lazor system can be placed on a vessel.
Alternatively, you may detect whether is it the second LazorSystem in the vessel -- and then disable GUI...
What are you going to use it for?
Telescopic sight for Sunbeam ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.