Fresh install, 45+ mods, no conflicts, boots and runs (listed)

milint33w

I haven't played in months and I just plowed through the latest mods with a fresh 64 bit install and naturally assumed their would be failures and conflicts upon loading ksp, however, the game loaded everything perfectly and seems to run great so far.

Here is what I have:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1gmZDEgHKL4TWdQLUI0YkpuR0U/view?usp=sharing

#####

Edit

#####

According to posters here, it has come to my attention that some of the mods I installed may not be running in 64 bit as a choice by the developers. I have taken no action to "unlock" them for 64 bit, though all of the mods I wanted to work seem to. FAR may be the exception. I'm not sure yet if it is actually running. I only started career a half hour before bed last night.

I am sad to see the negative stigma that has apparently developed for 64 bit. It has worked just as well as 32 bit for me since it was released (the first and second times) with the exception of the annoying right click left click bug when alt tabbing.

for reference, I am running windows 7 pro on:

i7 3770k

GTX 680

16G high performance ram.

Samsung 840 Pro series SSD

As a personal opinion, 64 bit KSP should never be removed. It works well enough to at least be referred to as experimental. If they want to bury it under some extreme caution tape on the download site that's fine, but the potential benefits are too great for it to be removed.

Edited by milint33w

I haven't played in months and I just plowed through the latest mods with a fresh 64 bit install and naturally assumed their would be failures and conflicts upon loading ksp, however, the game loaded everything perfectly and seems to run great so far.

Here is what I have:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1gmZDEgHKL4TWdQLUI0YkpuR0U/view?usp=sharing

Wait... my [bEEP] alarm just went off... computer! Scan that post!

naturally assumed their would be failures and conflicts upon loading ksp, however, the game loaded everything perfectly and seems to run great so far.

Hmmm... I see something. Computer! Enhance that last part!

the game loaded everything perfectly and seems to run great so far.

What was that?

great so far.

"So far"? Ah. With a glowing endorsement like that, clearly 95% of mod makers and the entire KSP dev team are just delusional, and perhaps trying to keep all the x64 to themselves.

Please Squad! Give us our broken x64 if it means milint33w can continue to show us how amazing he is at bucking the trend and proving everyone else wrong with brilliant evidence such as "it works great so far."

This can only end well.

Edited by technicalfool
BEEP!

Okay kids, we get the idea. A little less of the snark, please?

milint33w, you might have noticed by the responses that you're somewhat lucky to have a 64 bit KSP working, if you're running Windows. Unfortunately it is rather horrendously buggy, and those bugs can crop up in many and varied mysterious ways.

Good for you if you can get it working, but Win64 KSP is still rather too dodgy for Squad (or many modders) to support.

I'm currently running ~85 mods and ksp sits at around 6.8gb RAM usage at the main menu. I have noticed the glaring bug with career buildings, but am able to workaround that by destroying them and rebuilding them to their correct level every time I load the save...

Occasionally KSP does stop loading and I may have to start it multiple times but it usually gets up and running. Illicit, there was a thread laying around that used to have a 64bit enabled versions of those mods but the author discontinued updating the .dlls. I found a tool that unchecks the restriction for 64bit .dlls and found FAR works just fine now..Check the last post in this thread to get the tool.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98707-0-25-Win64-Enabled-NEAR-1-3-10-FAR-0-14-4-Real-Fuels-8-1-MFT-5-2-3/page15

Disclaimer: Win64 previously did not work for me, I reinstalled my pc due to necessity and found that it works for me now. Don't burn me because I have a chosen PC. There's nothing I can do about it...At this point I'll have to start dualbooting Linux when 1.0 releases because I don't think I can go back to <4gb of ram

I'm currently running ~85 mods and ksp sits at around 6.8gb RAM usage at the main menu. I have noticed the glaring bug with career buildings, but am able to workaround that by destroying them and rebuilding them to their correct level every time I load the save...

Occasionally KSP does stop loading and I may have to start it multiple times but it usually gets up and running. Illicit, there was a thread laying around that used to have a 64bit enabled versions of those mods but the author discontinued updating the .dlls. I found a tool that unchecks the restriction for 64bit .dlls and found FAR works just fine now..Check the last post in this thread to get the tool.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/98707-0-25-Win64-Enabled-NEAR-1-3-10-FAR-0-14-4-Real-Fuels-8-1-MFT-5-2-3/page15

Disclaimer: Win64 previously did not work for me, I reinstalled my pc due to necessity and found that it works for me now. Don't burn me because I have a chosen PC. There's nothing I can do about it...At this point I'll have to start dualbooting Linux when 1.0 releases because I don't think I can go back to <4gb of ram

Sweet thanks, are these mods disabled only on windows 64? Like if I setup a virtual machine and run Linux will I need to do anything to activate them?

You're not allowed to have fun in 64-bit. You're especially not allowed to offer up any evidence of it working well. Everyone knows it's impossible.

LOL, been using 64 bit since it was introduced without issue. I love being lucky, now if only I could win the powerball.

According to posters here, it has come to my attention that some of the mods I installed may not be running in 64 bit as a choice by the developers. I have taken no action to "unlock" them for 64 bit, though all of the mods I wanted to work seem to. FAR may be the exception. I'm not sure yet if it is actually running. I only started career a half hour before bed last night.

I am sad to see the negative stigma that has apparently developed for 64 bit. It has worked just as well as 32 bit for me since it was released (the first and second times) with the exception of the annoying right click left click bug when alt tabbing.

for reference, I am running windows 7 pro on:

i7 3770k

GTX 680

16G high performance ram.

Samsung 840 Pro series SSD

Updating OP with this info.

Sweet thanks, are these mods disabled only on windows 64? Like if I setup a virtual machine and run Linux will I need to do anything to activate them?

Only a few are specifically disabled in 64bit due to the mod authors receiving too many complaints of the mod not working when in reality it was just x64. You'll probably have to run the unlocker same as windows. The only mods I can think of that are locked on 64bit is FAR, NEAR, and TacLS. There may be more but it usually says on the mod page.

Only a few are specifically disabled in 64bit due to the mod authors receiving too many complaints of the mod not working when in reality it was just x64. You'll probably have to run the unlocker same as windows. The only mods I can think of that are locked on 64bit is FAR, NEAR, and TacLS. There may be more but it usually says on the mod page.

TAC LS is not locked. I am using it now and it required no special setup.

FAR does not disable itself on 64-bit Linux, at the very least. It checks the following:

return (IntPtr.Size == 8) && (Environment.OSVersion.Platform == PlatformID.Win32NT);

That checks to see if the size of a pointer or handle is 8 bytes (=64 bits), which says it's a 64-bit machine if true, and if it's running on the "Win32NT" platform.

Win32 refers to post 16-bit Windows, and all current versions of Windows are actually just Windows NT 6.x (Vista is 6.0, 7 is 6.1, and 8 is 6.2. Not sure about 8.1, it's probably 6.2 or 6.3 though).

I just loaded up the x64 version of my highly modded game and it crashed as soon as it entered the VAB. In my opinion, it doesn't work and should be pulled.

Hooray for anecdotal evidence!

This was not constructive, and I hope your comment that it should be pulled is purely antagonistic and not a representation of your reasoning skills.

This was not constructive, and I hope your comment that it should be pulled is purely antagonistic and not a representation of your reasoning skills.

Why? It's just as valid as the OP. You say you had mods, used x64 and didn't crash, therefore you reason that the stigma against Win64 is unfair. I said I had mods, used x64 and crashed, therefore I reason the stigma is justified.

You used a personal experience to base your OP on, just as I used a personal experience to base my comment on. They're both anecdotal evidence, but you think mine isn't constructive and should be erased from existance? Can we erase your OP too, as it uses the same logic?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.