Is this the longest ramp jump ever attempted in ksp?

Roflcopterkklol

Edit:

After what i am going to call popular request i have made a challenge for this so that everyone can try to jump a craft further with guide lines to make it fair on everyone :D have fun

Jump competition forum location:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/110568-Who-is-the-best-dare-devil-in-KSP?p=1733898#post1733898

Managed to jump my jet ATV over the entire Kerbal Space Center diagonally just before :confused: now idk if it is the longest jump on kerbin with a stock craft but it has to be pretty close

l6sSZKa.jpg

xYPJjML.jpg

Can find the jet ATV on my forum if anyone wants to download it.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109004-Roflcopterkklol-Industries-is-back!-0-90-craft

Edit:

Since doing this i have refined the design of my craft and done better, still yet to find a way to get rid of the down force.

forum location:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/110449-Jet-ATV-mk6-Jebs-favourite-toy-%28Jump-the-KSC%29

Edited by Roflcopterkklol

More speed tends to make bad things happen haha

this is hitting the ramp at about 520km/h lol

Thats physics for ya.

The physics is tick based, if you move faster then ur framerate can calculate physics, parts start to phase through each other. Ive tried to make a reverse orbit collision before with a anti-satelite missile. It went perfectly, but the velocities were so high (4K relative), every time, the projectile phased through the target. This phenomenon is exactly why your craft went through the ramp, and got the ramp stuck inside it.

At least it had entertainment value :D.

Wait, are wings allowed for these ramp jumps? Because I think I could "ramp jump" all of Kerbin with enough lift and jet fuel :P

Idk, it does actually jump a hell of a lot further without "wings" all they do is provide downforce haha, stops it going crazy at 150ishm/s and flipping.

Edit:

here are some pics of the ramp, it is fairly basic

SM8hifi.jpg

tabEaCo.jpg

RL4GoFw.jpg

jets and wings disqualify it imo. otherwise i could just build a 2m ramp with SRBs attached to the car pointing straight up and boom > > > ramp jumper achieves orbit

It would make a nice challenge.

Jets/Rockets allowed for acceleration and on the ramp itself but must be unpowered as soon as it is airborne.

No wings.

Must not lose any parts.

Must still be drivable after the landing.

Anything else is a go.

jets and wings disqualify it imo. otherwise i could just build a 2m ramp with SRBs attached to the car pointing straight up and boom > > > ramp jumper achieves orbit

This is why it has "wings" they kinda do the opposite of make it fly, they are only for down force lol, point is the jet atv can jump that far without exploding. probably could jump it a lot further without them just uncontrollably and it would never make the landing haha

Without downforce

With downforce

This is why it has "wings" they kinda do the opposite of make it fly, they are only for down force lol, point is the jet atv can jump that far without exploding. probably could jump it a lot further without them just uncontrollably and it would never make the landing haha

You should try it with spamming reaction wheels - they can't help you with downforce, but they could keep your vehicle on course :)

You should try it with spamming reaction wheels - they can't help you with downforce, but they could keep your vehicle on course :)

Oh i have been there done that :P

Once it gets too big you need too many engines and the whole thing just ends up a big oaf

this thing has been in development for a long time it was at mk3 i figured out you need the down force, this one was the mk3 i believe

just finished building the Jet ATV mk6 :)

Decided to do another re design after learning about the jumping capabilities of the mk5 haha, can jump this one even further

Forum location:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/110449-Jet-ATV-mk6-Jebs-favourite-toy-%28Jump-the-KSC%29?p=1731813#post1731813

Hm, well I realize your wings are at a negative angle of attack, creating "downforce" (negative lift) while accelerating on the ground, but you pitch up substantially through your jump which causes those wings to have a positive angle of attack, and thus generate positive lift. I'm with spikeyhat09 on this one, though I do kinda feel bad joining the thread just to rain on someone's parade... it really is a cool contraption and an exciting video. It's about 90% a high speed jump and 10% a little bit of gliding :P

Edit: well, that and the jet engines. With a TWR > 1, you could jump all of kerbin without any wings at all even...

Edited by Xavven

Hm, well I realize your wings are at a negative angle of attack, creating "downforce" (negative lift) while accelerating on the ground, but you pitch up substantially through your jump which causes those wings to have a positive angle of attack, and thus generate positive lift. I'm with spikeyhat09 on this one, though I do kinda feel bad joining the thread just to rain on someone's parade... it really is a cool contraption and an exciting video. It's about 90% a high speed jump and 10% a little bit of gliding :P

Edit: well, that and the jet engines. With a TWR > 1, you could jump all of kerbin without any wings at all even...

Its just not doable without them, the craft is impossible to drive i already made that clear haha, if someone can find a way to make it stable without the wings be my guest its beyond me :sticktongue:

if you could make it stable without the wings could easily jump it further they cause so much drag while it is in the air, would still need to jet engines to make the landing more flat though otherwise you hit the ground too hard

Better wheels might help (not stock)

Different aero system (not stock either)

You'd be surprised at how hard you can land with the Kerbal Foundries' biggest wheel set. Which, incidentally, make anything that use them more of a monster truck than a rover proper.

decoupling wings at the ramp would be fine, but you'd also have to turn off the jets at the ramp.... jets on while pitched up = I could do the same and orbit kerbin.

The pitching up and a combination of jet thrust + wings = I'm going to have to say that while its a cool contraption, I don't think its a fair entry for "longest ramp jump"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.