So are you practicing "Pointy Rockets"?

SpacedCowboy

They could change the aerodynamics in ways other than what I'm asking/wondering about. Guess this one is a wait and see.
If nose cones were as terrible as they are now when we get to 1.0, I'd say the "overhaul" would have failed completely.

Even with FAR intalled I managed to launch (with low TWR and speeds in lower atmosphere, late and wide gravity turn) an interplanetary ship encased in a proc.fairing with a base as wide as four orange tanks radially attached to another orange tank (so three orange tanks wide) in the middle.

And since I used FAR since forever - although I seem to never manage planes ... - so I suppose stock aero will be not that different for my designs.

Although I am wary of some parts of the dev notes, as it looks like lift will be generated by numbers in the wings part.cfg rather than real physics calculations?

Oh good lord, I messed that up?

Actually, I liked your version. :D

Edited by KerbMav

Although I am wary of some parts of the dev notes, as it looks like lift will be generated by numbers in the wings part.cfg rather than real physics calculations?

That's how it's done in FAR. It's generally better to precompute figures than rely on geometries of meshes etc, as there can be.. infelicities in meshes. So loading values from files isn't a problem..unless the values are precomputed by way of the "arse-pull" algorithm.

Example:

// from FerramAerospaceResearch.cfg:
@PART[R8winglet]:FOR[FerramAerospaceResearch]
{

// stock values are nullified:
@module = Part
@maximum_drag = 0
@minimum_drag = 0
@angularDrag = 0
@dragCoeff = 0
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0
@ctrlSurfaceRange = 0
@ctrlSurfaceArea = 0

// FAR values are put in:
MODULE
{
name = FARControllableSurface
MAC = 1.311
MidChordSweep = 27.6
maxdeflect = 15
b_2 = 1.388
TaperRatio = 0.611
}
}

So as long as Squad isn't making up random numbers from the A-P method, we'll probably be okay.

I started building reasonable-looking rockets in 0.23.5 and switched to FAR soon after that.

Then I learned that trying to achieve aerodynamic stability is a waste of time, and tail fins are pointless, except on small rockets without thrust vectoring.

mushroom_3.jpeg

I always practice "pointy rockets", since that's how they do it in real life (because of how aerodynamics work), and not to mention for aesthetic purposes (I want my rockets to look sleek and aerodynamic, and not to look like abominations filled-to-the-brim with rocket fuel).

But since there's no payload fairings by default in stock, it can't be done without improvising. Improvising = more parts = more chances of lagging. So my typical stock lifters look something like this:

With mods, they look like this:

So aerodynamics are now getting overhauled... say goodbye to lifters looking more like "stack of boosters" than actual lifters and oversized irregular payloads :cool:

Hello realistic looking rockets! :D

Edited by Flixxbeatz
u fookn wot m8? i rek u swer on me mum

I started building reasonable-looking rockets in 0.23.5 and switched to FAR soon after that.

Then I learned that trying to achieve aerodynamic stability is a waste of time, and tail fins are pointless, except on small rockets without thrust vectoring.

http://jltsiren.kapsi.fi/ksp/0.90/mushroom_3.jpeg

Yes, the nice thing about that mushroom is that it would fit one of my larger motherships comfortable, might be an bit higher but that is all.

Strutting might be an issue if you can not strut trough the fairing. Anyway an 6+1 asparagus would fit nice in the drag shadow of the mushroom

Your finless designs intrigue me and I wish to learn more! (unless they involve lots of careful vectoring to keep the AoA under like two degrees, I know that bit already~)

Actually, even with FAR you can build a pancake with no fairings and get it to orbit. Just 'add moar boozterz' :D

I posted one a couple of pages back. Tanks at right angle to the airflow. Didn't even need moar boosters, took less delta-v to get to orbit than a stock design heh.

Yes, the nice thing about that mushroom is that it would fit one of my larger motherships comfortable, might be an bit higher but that is all.

Strutting might be an issue if you can not strut trough the fairing. Anyway an 6+1 asparagus would fit nice in the drag shadow of the mushroom

I'm pretty sure FAR doesn't have drag shadows (I wish it did, but I think that might require CFD). Not sure about the upcoming aero though. While I'm hoping it's a good deal better than FAR, I'm expecting it to be not as good as NEAR ;)

(Hope for the best, expect the worst, y'know.)

Edited by Renegrade

Your finless designs intrigue me and I wish to learn more! (unless they involve lots of careful vectoring to keep the AoA under like two degrees, I know that bit already~)

Keeping the angle of attack under 5 degrees is usually enough. The square-cube law also works in your favor: the bigger the rocket is, the less it cares about aerodynamics.

While I haven't been using FAR (I HAVE dabbled with it in the past, but... I prefer as few mods as possible), I do tend to build my rockets as aerodynamically as I can. Of course, it still does bug me a bit when I have some weird payload at the top. Perhaps I should get into Procedural Fairings just for the sake of fairings.

Since I play FAR + RSS I'm already ahead of the curve. No need to practice, I'm already livin' the life.

I am right here with Regex. Both of my installs have FAR+DRE and one is RSS. So well ahead I curve also.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.