Have you ever met anyone who thinks that Apollo was fake?

FishInferno

Have you met nyone who thinks the Moon landings were fake?  

151 members have voted

1. 1. Have you met nyone who thinks the Moon landings were fake?

it's hard to think of how knowing details of space exploration would help you in some practical situation

Well, yes, true. But we're talking about someone who "doesn't have the knowledge to judge if the evidence is real or fake... And she doesn't care", according to hugix. Thankfully, you don't need to know details of space exploration to determine whether Apollo actually took humans to the Moon or not. There might be a fair number of specific claims you have to admit ignorance about, but there's still a lot of evidence you can assess.

As a teenager, i used to hang out with people like that. Conspiracy treories, hoaxes, paranormal stuff, UFO etc. I did research those things, realising that most of it is just mental, end eventually leaving the group, while other spiraled down to pseudo-religions, flat earth theories and benevolent people from Venus (higher dimention Venus ofc, regular one would be just stupid aint it?).

Hell, i even dated a girl that believed that there are just 'planets' Sun, Moon and Earth and the stars. Becouse. Also, only dead people can go to 'heaven' so spaceflight is prepostrous. When i shown her (with my mighty binoculars!) Jupiter with it moons, ISS and some sattelites, she simply went ape....-crazy on me.

I still believe in extraterrestials tho, there are even some UFOs in Apollo pictu... khem... photos ;)

I have met several...on a college campus of all places. I always ask them if since they believe the moon landings were faked why we haven't built a huge colony on Mars already. No one ever has an answer.

Just as an aside, it is possible to believe that NASA is largely a waste of money while believing it was not always so. NASA's problems aren't its scientists and engineers, its the politics and bureaucracy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2014/12/15/nasas-349-million-monument-to-its-drift/

NASA has been in a slow tragic decline since the Apollo program. Congress and the various administrations constantly jerk it around and complicate its development and productions processes. What was once the flagship of science and exploration has turned into the Detroit of government agencies.

Edited by [email protected]

I haven't met anyone personally who thought they were fake, my friends sometimes joke with me saying they're fake just to mess with me, but they believe in the moon landings. I can't look anywhere on the internet without seeing someone saying the moon landings are fake though...:P

Personally I don't think that back in 60s anyone would even consider a hoax of such a big scale. It's just too big to remain secret. Still, even if we cannot go to the Moon right now, we can look at it. What I mean - we do have optics that can pick tiny details, do we? We left many artifacts on the Moon that should be seen in telescope, am I right?

Personally I don't think that back in 60s anyone would even consider a hoax of such a big scale. It's just too big to remain secret. Still, even if we cannot go to the Moon right now, we can look at it. What I mean - we do have optics that can pick tiny details, do we? We left many artifacts on the Moon that should be seen in telescope, am I right?

Even if we do have the optical capability it wouldn't make any difference, people would just claim photoshop. We did however leave some reflectors we use to measure its distance.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLaser.html

Edited by [email protected]

• 1 month later...
From moon landing deniers' sad ignorance Apollo participants can draw strange pride: what they did was, for some people, beyond belief.

-Duxwing

I just can't wait till space travel is as common as car travel..........

Sadly, that will probably not happen anytime soon.

As far as people I've met denying Apollo... Yeah, a few. My normal argument is that the USA's Gov would be insane to spend over 100 billion dollars (in today's money) on a soundstage and some props... That can be done for at least a few hundred thousand.

Although, Nixon's head did say that he faked the landing, on VENUS!

Nope

never met such a person ... but I am not active in circles of conspiracy theorists ...

rather in academic circles, therefore it would have been a surprise for me to encounter someone like this

Yes.. i have conspiraoic acquaintances.

I am thinking about the USA carried that guys to the moon but that is only part of the truth. there are many questions about the hidden truth and a lot of interesting surprises waiting to be revealed.

Edited by SUJETO
wrong answer

not personally no. Though if I do, I'd probably refer them to the Lunar Laser Ranging experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_experiment

Conclusive evidence that there are reflectors on the moon, and the ranging experiment (sending a strong laser to the precise spot on the moon) can be done from sites in several countries these days.

not personally no. Though if I do, I'd probably refer them to the Lunar Laser Ranging experiment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Laser_Ranging_experiment

Conclusive evidence that there are reflectors on the moon, and the ranging experiment (sending a strong laser to the precise spot on the moon) can be done from sites in several countries these days.

I thought we were going even one step better than that. The VLT is supposed to have a resolution high enough to see the landing sites.

I was this person for a brief period when I was 13. Had been doing some research for one of my classes and came across a conspiracy site for it, and some of what they were saying made a lot of sense to my 13 year old brain, so I told my parents about it. My parents refuted it fairly well, but I did keep some of the stuff that site brought up in the back of my mind, because it was still interesting (the shadows in particular) and I wanted to know why some of the stuff regarding the landing was the way it was.

Years later, I got to see the mythbusters show about this, which was cool, since I had been holding onto some of those questions for a while (like, a decade at least).

I thought we were going even one step better than that. The VLT is supposed to have a resolution high enough to see the landing sites.

quite possibly, which would be even better. I chose the LLR experiment mostly because of the slightly better availability: there's a couple of observatories in different parts of the world who can perform the laser experiment, but only one VLT. Honestly I would be kinda interested in seeing what the VLT can show us when looking at the landing site coordinates, but I doubt that the scientists would spend time, money or effort in capturing it. I don't think there's a lot of scientific value in trying to look at it now, more sentimental curiosity than anything else.

Edited by Cirocco
spelling is hard!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.