Do something nobody has done before

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2017 at 8:21 PM, JacobJHC said:

As far as I know nobody has gone to Moho and back using only 2 fuel tanks

I did Eeloo and back on two tanks. I'm guessing that Moho might be harder though because of the higher gravity?

On 7/24/2016 at 2:34 AM, Stratzenblitz75 said:

I think I have another first (In stock KSP, at least). A completely reusable Eve mission:

*snip*

I know this is a really late reply, but nice! I don't know if you get notified for quotes or not, so I'm @Stratzenblitz75 'ing you. I think I was the first one to come up with the idea of using a tug like that to finish orbital insertion, but I never got around to doing it, so it's quite amazing to see it actually done. Bravo.

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

I'm not entirely sure if this is the first time anyone's done this, but here goes...

First mission to Moho with a launch mass of under 5 tons...

Sorry, that one's been done once by the prolific @hazard-ish. Yours is the first in 1.2 though :). I think it goes without saying though it's a rare and difficult accomplishment, and I like your setup! um... If you'd like to keep pushing it down, I can show you a "developer unintended strategy" (glitch) to reenter kerbals from interstellar speeds in jetpack mode. Should buy you an extra 500m/s while pushing down the launch weight. I haven't tested it in 1.2, but I've been keeping up with the changelogs (I'm a glitch hunter) and it should still work. I mean... I'm a developer unintended strategy hunter! :blush: Anyway, your mission's an awesome one in it's own right, so just if you want!

Edit: Woops, that was the low mass Eeloo mission thread... where was the low mass Moho mission thread. Uh. I'll do you a quick novelty search and be right back. Moho's a bit harder than Eeloo traditionally, so you may be in business!

Edit Edit: I was remembering the low deltaV moho thread. For mass, I'm getting nothing lower than this. Good job!

Edited by Cunjo Carl
Woops!

1 hour ago, Cunjo Carl said:

Sorry, that one's been done once by the prolific @hazard-ish. Yours is the first in 1.2 though :). I think it goes without saying though it's a rare and difficult accomplishment, and I like your setup! um... If you'd like to keep pushing it down, I can show you a "developer unintended strategy" (glitch) to reenter kerbals from interstellar speeds in jetpack mode. Should buy you an extra 500m/s while pushing down the launch weight. I haven't tested it in 1.2, but I've been keeping up with the changelogs (I'm a glitch hunter) and it should still work. I mean... I'm a developer unintended strategy hunter! :blush: Anyway, your mission's an awesome one in it's own right, so just if you want!

Edit: Woops, that was the low mass Eeloo mission thread... where was the low mass Moho mission thread. Uh. I'll do you a quick novelty search and be right back. Moho's a bit harder than Eeloo traditionally, so you may be in business!

Edit Edit: I was remembering the low deltaV moho thread. For mass, I'm getting nothing lower than this. Good job!

Thanks! There are a number of ways I can improve on this mission even without... er.. developer unintended strategies, but I think I'll do that at a later date. I'm just not up for another tedious mission.

On 19.01.2017 at 9:29 AM, Teilnehmer said:

3 parts are enough to get into Mun’s orbit from KSC. See this challenge.

Why did you need RCS?

It isn't a kinds of parts. I builded rocket that have only command module, SAS, RCS tank, nose cone (it have remote guidance unit that' s flat) and Twin Boar + six RCS linear ports.

Pretty sure I was the first to try circumnavigate kerbin in a diesel electric (proper) locomotive carrying her own supply of fuel? it never ended well. still hasn't ended.. just on hold :)

waiting for a new PC to resurrect the thread and some new 3d models..but their story is well documented.. if a tad buried at times in the fan works forum

One of the original decendents of class leader 4408 remains in my signature, 4427 if I recall. 4429 is in my profile picture.. and yes.. they started at 4401

:(

The original concept grew from an engine converted into a pure alternator with 3 stage power setting.. half/full throttle and lighting 2 engines ment full speed.. joystick throttle pegged at full for the wheels. they simply turned when given enough power.. this changed into a full throttleable yet realisticly delayed power curve that became legendary in its power to both deliver torque while sounding beautiful... and deadly in its habbit of overheating on steep hills and exploding horribly killing everything

below is something not documented anywhere else - theres more advanced stuff but not these early prototypes and how they grew

Behold!.. one of the very first pure diesel electric trains I made on my old youtube account  - complete with detriot diesel sounds applied to an alternator that used to be a sam hall jet pod.. in 0.25 before small jets were a thing :) (early 2015)

a month or two later - things were refined a little.. ant engines were given air brake sounds on start/shutdown inline with brake application commands - and radial ant engines became airhorns..  the mainline 44 class was born :)

A few months of puttering around kerbin with these trains. they started to grow a soul... their sistertrains scattered around kerbin in bits..

it was time to put one to the ultimate test - 4408 was born - re-engine and modified slightly.. she was a capable beast that actually never exploded.. she became the victim of a lost of save file.. and she lives on in memory in my own personal landliner train lore..

It was during this time in the old days where kerbin was rather flat - that it was proven.. that once someone.. feels.. kerbin.. its isolation.. its.. loneliness.. it can actually translate into realworld feelings of genuine unease and sadness at being the only thing alive on this planet - where the train is truly her own..

because there is nothing else.. all the systems, physics and parts working in harmony.. when outside that there is .. nothingness

In November 2015 the 44 class was well and truly a mainline locomotive and staple of train operations in KSP - refined. powerful.. deadly and beautiful.. 4427 remains in my signature -

The other mainline locomotive was a relation to D4001 that saved 4408 in the elcano challenge - a 40 class long hood, their unconventional design enabled a kind of ironsights rifle heading indicator - 4016 enjoyed a long life before being disabled on a long journey documented elsewhere, she like D4001 her class leader and 4408 were never lost in service but rather victim of a save file lost on a flash drive -

Seen here on one of her final returns to KSC depot before being lost a month later -

My controller of choice is an Xbox steering wheel and joystick throttle - only usd for KSP and eurotruck simulator :D

2017 - Things changed - - KSP Changed - leaving me missing the old days of KSP - I still drive trains but damn I miss the oldskool stuff..

I drive RTG powered Puma Rover trains now as fuel and passenger trains.. their quiet. 12m/s top speed.. capable and... modern

the old days were best :)

HA12gMN.jpg

First?

Edited by Overland

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.