Sigma Dimensions

Sigma88

Well, it's kind of working.  Couple issues:

I resized atmopsheres to 1.32x and they've visually disappeared on all non-gas-giants. So have the oceans.

The rings around OPM bodies are massive. For example, Ovok and Hale are supposed to be shepard moons rather near the rings around Sarnus. Instead, the rings don't even start until the edge of Slate's orbit.

Hyperedit's doesn't play nice with the bigger planets. Causes things to explode. No idea if this is an issue with resize packs like 64k.

The ship won't timewarp in Kerbin orbit as was earlier said because, the game claims, it's accelerating. This seems to happen everywhere in Kerbin's SOI below 700,000m and is probably the most game-breaking bug for me.

I would like to say this pack does an excellent job of making sure bodies retain their stock shape and feel. Minmus doesn't feel bland like in 64k. It's just as lumpy. I bet some of the highest points are 30km up. Also, hit detection with the surface seems perfect. Not any more sinky than in stock KSP.

Being able to rapidly resize the system is great. Overall this is spectacular. Just needs some kinks worked out. That's what beta's for, right? :D

Edited by Jodo42

7 hours ago, Jodo42 said:

Well, it's kind of working.  Couple issues:

I resized atmopsheres to 1.32x and they've visually disappeared on all non-gas-giants. So have the oceans.

The rings around OPM bodies are massive. For example, Ovok and Hale are supposed to be shepard moons rather near the rings around Sarnus. Instead, the rings don't even start until the edge of Slate's orbit.

Hyperedit's doesn't play nice with the bigger planets. Causes things to explode. No idea if this is an issue with resize packs like 64k.

The ship won't timewarp in Kerbin orbit as was earlier said because, the game claims, it's accelerating. This seems to happen everywhere in Kerbin's SOI below 700,000m and is probably the most game-breaking bug for me.

I would like to say this pack does an excellent job of making sure bodies retain their stock shape and feel. Minmus doesn't feel bland like in 64k. It's just as lumpy. I bet some of the highest points are 30km up. Also, hit detection with the surface seems perfect. Not any more sinky than in stock KSP.

Being able to rapidly resize the system is great. Overall this is spectacular. Just needs some kinks worked out. That's what beta's for, right? :D

Could you send me the settings.cfg so I can see how you scaled the system?

could you also send me a screenshot of the "disappeared atmosphere" ?

Edited by Sigma88

4 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

Could you send me the settings.cfg so I can see how you scaled the system?

could you also send me a screenshot of the "disappeared atmosphere" ?

Sure. Settings:

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Rescale = 6.4
	Resize = 6.4
	Atmosphere = 1.32
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1
}

// Advanced Settings

@SigmaDimensions
{
	geeASLmultiplier = 1
	SoIsfromRadius = 0
	orbitalPeriod = 0
	daysVSyearRatio = 0
}

Here's some screenshots of the atmospheres. The oceans seemed to be back this time.

Unfortunately I'm running into some strange new issues. When I load onto the launch pad, sometimes the rocket will be launched into the air. One time, this strange terrian deformation occured:

RBp5OP7.png

No idea what's causing this. It's not this vessel. Only had it happen once, when I reverted to the launch pad.

Something interesting to note: a 100km orbit in a 6.4x Dimensions Kerbin is about 800m/s slower than the same orbit around a 64k Kerbin. I wonder why.

Edited by Jodo42

57 minutes ago, Jodo42 said:

Sure. Settings:

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Rescale = 6.4
	Resize = 6.4
	Atmosphere = 1.32
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1
}

// Advanced Settings

@SigmaDimensions
{
	geeASLmultiplier = 1
	SoIsfromRadius = 0
	orbitalPeriod = 0
	daysVSyearRatio = 0
}

Here's some screenshots of the atmospheres. The oceans seemed to be back this time.

Unfortunately I'm running into some strange new issues. When I load onto the launch pad, sometimes the rocket will be launched into the air. One time, this strange terrian deformation occured:

No idea what's causing this. It's not this vessel. Only had it happen once, when I reverted to the launch pad.

1- I've managed to fix the Rings, the fix will be in the next release

2- I'll now look into the atmosphere problem

3- that terrain issue looks like a "reparenting kerbin bug" are you playing with some mods that reparent kerbin?

EDIT:

regarding atmospheres, which version of modulemanager are you using? and which planets packs?

atmospheres work fine in my STOCK + OPM install, but I'm using the development version. Haven't checked with v0.0.2-alpha.

if you are using MM 2.6.15 that may have caused some issues. try using either 2.6.13 (official release) or 2.6.16 (latest dev build)

Edited by Sigma88

7 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

1- I've managed to fix the Rings, the fix will be in the next release

2- I'll now look into the atmosphere problem

3- that terrain issue looks like a "reparenting kerbin bug" are you playing with some mods that reparent kerbin?

I'm afraid I don't quite know what reparenting means. I don't have any mods that mess with planet positions other than Dimensions, Binary, and OPM.

No idea if this matters but I'm running several mods which mess with the atmosphere that might be related to the visual bug: FAR, Deadly Reentry, and RealHeat.

Thanks for looking into the bugs!

13 minutes ago, Jodo42 said:

I'm afraid I don't quite know what reparenting means. I don't have any mods that mess with planet positions other than Dimensions, Binary, and OPM.

No idea if this matters but I'm running several mods which mess with the atmosphere that might be related to the visual bug: FAR, Deadly Reentry, and RealHeat.

Thanks for looking into the bugs!

"reparenting kerbin" means that some mod moves kerbin to orbit something other than the Sun

In case you missed that before:

24 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

EDIT:

regarding atmospheres, which version of modulemanager are you using? and which planets packs?

atmospheres work fine in my STOCK + OPM install, but I'm using the development version. Haven't checked with v0.0.2-alpha.

if you are using MM 2.6.15 that may have caused some issues. try using either 2.6.13 (official release) or 2.6.16 (latest dev build)

no idea about other atmosphere mods, but I don't think those would matter, unless they mess up with kopernicus

Edited by Sigma88

7 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

"reparenting kerbin" means that some mod moves kerbin to orbit something other than the Sun

In case you missed that before:

no idea about other atmosphere mods, but I don't think those would matter, unless they mess up with kopernicus

No reparenting then. Only planet pack is OPM. Currently using 2.6.13; I'll try 2.6.16 and see if that changes anything.

2 minutes ago, Jodo42 said:

No reparenting then. Only planet pack is OPM. Currently using 2.6.13; I'll try 2.6.16 and see if that changes anything.

well, v0.0.2-alpha was made to work fine with 2.6.13 so updating it shouldn't solve the problem.

you could try downloading the SigmaDimensions dev.version here + MM 2.6.16, but be careful and backup your saves and everything

Edited by Sigma88

33 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

well, v0.0.2-alpha was made to work fine with 2.6.13 so updating it shouldn't solve the problem.

you could try downloading the SigmaDimensions dev.version here + MM 2.6.16, but be careful and backup your saves and everything

Unfortunately the dev version threw out lots of errors according to ModuleManager and didn't resize/rescale anything. I did change the settings.cfg file, and used MM 2.6.16. I can provide log files if necessary, just name them.

Here's what ModuleManager output before the game started:

Q98uEpB.png

Using the dev seems to have really messed things up. OPM's planets no longer show up despite it still being installed. Luckily I made a backup as you suggested.

Strangely, using the dev + 2.6.13 gave no errors, but still failed to change anything.

Edited by Jodo42

1 hour ago, Jodo42 said:

Sure. Settings:

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Rescale = 6.4
	Resize = 6.4
	Atmosphere = 1.32
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1
}

// Advanced Settings

@SigmaDimensions
{
	geeASLmultiplier = 1
	SoIsfromRadius = 0
	orbitalPeriod = 0
	daysVSyearRatio = 0
}

Something interesting to note: a 100km orbit in a 6.4x Dimensions Kerbin is about 800m/s slower than the same orbit around a 64k Kerbin. I wonder why.

maybe 64k changes the rotationperiod of kerbin?

if you want to adjust the lenght of the day, you can use the "dayLengthMultiplier" variable

the number you set there will be multiplied to the rotation period, so to get a day of double lenght you just put 2 there.

Stock has
rotationPeriod = 21549.4251830898
While 64K has
rotationPeriod = 86400

so you will need to set
dayLengthMultiplier = 4.00938768741728

(I guess just "4" works fine)

25 minutes ago, Jodo42 said:

Unfortunately the dev version threw out lots of errors according to ModuleManager and didn't resize/rescale anything. I did change the settings.cfg file, and used MM 2.6.16. I can provide log files if necessary, just name them.

Here's what ModuleManager output before the game started:

Using the dev seems to have really messed things up. OPM's planets no longer show up despite it still being installed. Luckily I made a backup as you suggested.

weird, have you deleted the old GameData/Sigma/Dimensions folder before installing the new one?

could you send me the "KSP.log" file you find in the KSP installation folder? and the modulemanager.cache file you find in gamedata?

be careful that the dev.version has more variables in the "settings.cfg" so if you copied all the old config and pasted into the new one, that may generate the MM errors

right now I am testing with

KSP 1.0.5
Kopernicus 0.6.3
ModuleManager 2.6.16
SigmaDimension dev.version (same parameters you posted before)
OPM 1.9.1
FAR_0_15_5_4_Hoerner
RealHeat_v2
DeadlyReentry_v7.3.1

everything loads correctly and the atmosphere looks fine

LPVYzzh.png

Edited by Sigma88

36 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

maybe 64k changes the rotationperiod of kerbin?

if you want to adjust the lenght of the day, you can use the "dayLengthMultiplier" variable

the number you set there will be multiplied to the rotation period, so to get a day of double lenght you just put 2 there.

weird, have you deleted the old GameData/Sigma/Dimensions folder before installing the new one?

could you send me the "KSP.log" file you find in the KSP installation folder? and the modulemanager.cache file you find in gamedata?

be careful that the dev.version has more variables in the "settings.cfg" so if you copied all the old config and pasted into the new one, that may generate the MM errors

right now I am testing with

KSP 1.0.5
Kopernicus 0.6.3
ModuleManager 2.6.16
SigmaDimension dev.version (same parameters you posted before)
OPM 1.9.1
FAR_0_15_5_4_Hoerner
RealHeat_v2
DeadlyReentry_v7.3.1

everything loads correctly and the atmosphere looks fine

LPVYzzh.png

OK, got a fresh Sigma folder, reinstalled the dev version and 2.6.16. Also using the same verisons of all your listed mods. Getting really weird issues now. The planets don't resize and the atmosphere is missing like before. I'm not sure if it resized or not; didn't check. In map view when zoomed in there's a white "halo" around the planet which disappears when zoomed out.

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Rescale = 6.4	Resize = 6.4
	Atmosphere = 1.3
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1
}

// Advanced Settings

@SigmaDimensions
{
	geeASLmultiplier = 1
	SoIsFromRadius = 0
	RingsFromRadius = 0
	orbitalPeriod = 0
	daysVSyearRatio = 0
}

There's Dimension's settings.cfg.

I was unable to find a ModuleManager.cache, just a ModuleMangaer.ConfigCache. That's hereHere's ksp.log.

Just in case there's any conflicts that are obvious to you but not me, here's all the other mods I'm running:

KER, version uncertain

KJR 3.1.4

PreciseNode 1.2.1

RealFuels 10.8.1 with Stockalike Config 3.0.0

RealPlume 10.4.9 with Stock Config 0.8.1

SmokeScreen 2.6.10.0

SpaceY 1.8 and SpaceY Expanded 1.1

Transfer Window Planner 1.4.0.0

EDIT: Checked, and the atmosphere is in fact resized.

Edited by Jodo42

@Jodo42 you have Rescale and Resize on the same line :D

that's most likely the cause of all the errors

your ksp.log shows you are still getting a bunch of errors

ModuleManager: 2556 patches applied, found 655 errors

1 error related to GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/advancedSettings.cfg

2 errors related to GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/setAsteroids.cfg

33 errors related to GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/newCacheFiles.cfg

350 errors related to GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/ResizePQSMods.cfg

269 errors related to GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/setDimensions.cfg

edit the cfg so they are on two different lines, that should solve the not-rescaling of the planets and all the errors listed above

also, this:

34 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Stock has
rotationPeriod = 21549.4251830898
While 64K has
rotationPeriod = 86400

so you will need to set
dayLengthMultiplier = 4.00938768741728

(I guess just "4" works fine)

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Rescale = 6.4
	Resize = 6.4
	Atmosphere = 1.3
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1
}

// Advanced Settings

@SigmaDimensions
{
	geeASLmultiplier = 1
	SoIsFromRadius = 0
	RingsFromRadius = 0
	orbitalPeriod = 0
	daysVSyearRatio = 0
}

33 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

@Jodo42 you have Rescale and Resize on the same line :D

that's most likely the cause of all the errors

your ksp.log shows you are still getting a bunch of errors

ModuleManager: 2556 patches applied, found 655 errors

1 error related to GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/advancedSettings.cfg

2 errors related to GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/setAsteroids.cfg

33 errors related to GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/newCacheFiles.cfg

350 errors related to GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/ResizePQSMods.cfg

269 errors related to GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/setDimensions.cfg

edit the cfg so they are on two different lines, that should solve the not-rescaling of the planets and all the errors listed above

also, this:

// Base Settings

SigmaDimensions
{
	Rescale = 6.4
	Resize = 6.4
	Atmosphere = 1.3
	dayLengthMultiplier = 1
}

// Advanced Settings

@SigmaDimensions
{
	geeASLmultiplier = 1
	SoIsFromRadius = 0
	RingsFromRadius = 0
	orbitalPeriod = 0
	daysVSyearRatio = 0
}

Those are my current settings. Unfortunately I'm still experiencing no atmosphere. The planets and orbits do appear to be resized now, though.

3 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

@Jodo42

found the issue, and solved it! :D

fix will be included in the next release, I'll post here when I will have uploaded the changes to the dev.version so you can use that if you want :D

Thanks a bunch! Looking forward to using this. Nice to only have 1 config to change for everything instead of downloading multiple 64k configs for various planet packs.

27 minutes ago, Jodo42 said:

Thanks a bunch! Looking forward to using this. Nice to only have 1 config to change for everything instead of downloading multiple 64k configs for various planet packs.

added the fix to the dev.version

you can download it here

remember that this dev version requires MM 2.6.16 or higher

also, remember to keep a BackUp of you saves in case it messes something up ;)

I suppose this would be a question to both Jodo42 and/or Sigma88, would this mod completely replace 64k? or is it to be used in addition to?

I am looking into ways to simplify my 64k install and get it working in the latest KSP versions with OPM and a bunch of realism mods and Dimensions seems like it could really help out with that.

Edited by Shania_L

58 minutes ago, Shania_L said:

I suppose this would be a question to both Jodo42 and/or Sigma88, would this mod completely replace 64k? or is it to be used in addition to?

I am looking into ways to simplify my 64k install and get it working in the latest KSP versions with OPM and a bunch of realism mods and Dimensions seems like it could really help out with that.

this is definitely NOT compatible with 64k

as of replacing it, I'm not sure, I don't really know all the features included in 64k honestly.

do you know if 64k does something other than changing sizes of planets and orbits?

10 hours ago, Shania_L said:

Doing the same deal. Dimensions works well enough for sandbox at the minute but the career contracts can be silly. I'm running a 6.4x setup and most of the survey contracts are for flights above 100km, despite the atmosphere ending around 91km. I figure this is something that'll eventually get fixed but I didn't see it as important enough at this early stage in development to bring up. The "high atmosphere" situation doesn't exist with Dimensions for some reason, so there'll be less science to do.

The atmosphere will be thicker higher up and give you more heating problems than you're accustomed to with stock or 64k. Make your rockets reasonably stable. I still get noticable shock heating on my ascents at 60-70km. I'm not sure if this is an effect of RealHeat, or FAR not working properly with Dimensions at the moment, or just a result of how Dimensions rescales the atmospheres. Orbits below about 200k around Kerbin won't let you timewarp more than 4x/

As I have said earlier one benefit of using Dimensions relative to 64k is that Dimensions keeps the shape of the bodies much more intact. Minmus feels just as lumpy as it does in stock KSP, which is definitely not the case with 64k. Surface collision detection is also, in my opinion, better with Dimensions.

As far as I'm aware Dimensions does everything 64k does- resize the planets and their orbits, and edit their rotation periods- except for solar power curves. I've yet to see how solar panels perform in Dimensions, so you'd have to ask @Sigma88 how Dimensions currently/in the future handles solar power. I will say that I installed Outer Worlds and Dimensions seems to have rescaled the Cercani system correctly, something which you just can't do with 64k without creating a custom config. The atmopsheres on its bodies aren't visible, but I believe that's a result of a previously mentioned limitation of 25 atmospheric keys per planet pack.

tl;dr I'm liking it reasonably well. It's still in early dev so expect some graphical weirdness with the atmospheres. It handles the actual resizing of planets and orbits better than 64k. No idea about how it handles resources with mods like OKS/MKS, or solar power. If what you want can be done currently with 64k you might want to stick to it. If it can't, Dimensions is an adequate replacement with great potential. Use either/or.

Edited by Jodo42

11 hours ago, Jodo42 said:

Doing the same deal. Dimensions works well enough for sandbox at the minute but the career contracts can be silly. I'm running a 6.4x setup and most of the survey contracts are for flights above 100km, despite the atmosphere ending around 91km. I figure this is something that'll eventually get fixed but I didn't see it as important enough at this early stage in development to bring up.

I haven't looked at contracts yet, I will need to check which are the "altitude" parameters and fix them, if anyone knows which they are I could use the info :D

The "high atmosphere" situation doesn't exist with Dimensions for some reason, so there'll be less science to do.

I've made some fixes to the calculation of science limits, they should be calculated correctly now (fixes are already uploaded to the dev version and will be included in the next release)

The atmosphere will be thicker higher up and give you more heating problems than you're accustomed to with stock or 64k. Make your rockets reasonably stable. I still get noticable shock heating on my ascents at 60-70km. I'm not sure if this is an effect of RealHeat, or FAR not working properly with Dimensions at the moment, or just a result of how Dimensions rescales the atmospheres. Orbits below about 200k around Kerbin won't let you timewarp more than 4x/

I've yet to see how solar panels perform in Dimensions, so you'd have to ask @Sigma88 how Dimensions currently/in the future handles solar power. I will say that I installed Outer Worlds and Dimensions seems to have rescaled the Cercani system correctly, something which you just can't do with 64k without creating a custom config. The atmopsheres on its bodies aren't visible, but I believe that's a result of a previously mentioned limitation of 25 atmospheric keys per planet pack.

are you using the dev.version or the latest pre-release?

I have uploaded a bunch of fixes to the dev.version and if you download it now chances are the atmospheres will look fine (I hope) :D

the 25 key limit was just for the pre-release, dev version requires ModuleManager 2.6.16 and has no key limit :D

I'll look into the time warp issue, since you rescale atmosphere by a different factor than the radius there must be some issues there :)