Favorite Car

Bill Phil

2 hours ago, WinkAllKerb'' said:

yup ; ) another classic ; )

Taxi-001.jpg

Wow, I forgot about London cabs. I like the look of them...

2 minutes ago, cantab said:

Old black cabs have godawful suspension though. I've actually got backache from riding in them with a driver who took all the speed-bump riddled back streets. I hate speed bumps.

I've never had the pleasure of riding a London cab, but as far as I can tell from the local cab drivers, these guys often seem to drive over the speed bumps (and regular bumps) as fast as possible, and the last time I've taken a cab my rear took quite a beating, even though the car was a Skoda Octavia, which I own by the way and never had this problem when driving myself. 

• 5 months later...
On 03/12/2015 at 8:05 AM, Nookos said:

Same for me. But I'd like one that has been updated with today's technology like the gt350 cr

I never get this. People say they love old cara, but they want nothing that is actually an old car. The most charming part of classic cars are their peculiarities and limitations. You just seem to want a modern car with a Mustang body shell.

1 hour ago, Camacha said:

You just seem to want a modern car with a Mustang body shell.

And I'm fine with that. The old cars have the classic looks, but I like the hot rods myself, seeing what people can make happen under the vintage steel. Drop a modern Corvette engine into a nice old Chevy and I'd be a happy guy.

b8d306cb2bb816ab7161e7de752dcf85.jpg

Edited by StrandedonEarth

11 hours ago, Camacha said:

I never get this. People say they love old cara, but they want nothing that is actually an old car. The most charming part of classic cars are their peculiarities and limitations. You just seem to want a modern car with a Mustang body shell.

I know.. It is so weird that we are not all attracted by the same things. Unconceivable people have different tastes... I like the look of the old car, and the charm it carries. But at the same time I like technology and how much we progressed in the last 50 years. More comfort, more efficiency, better handling,... No issues for me to leave behind the limitations and flaws.

And I just don't seem to want a modern car with an old look, I actually say so :D

I have a couple of contenders. For aesthetics, you can't go wrong with a 1969 Corvette Stingray.

babyblue1969corvette-l-170a00e46db53b98.

However, as a country boy, I also have a soft spot for big lifted vehicles, particularly an 80's Chevrolet Suburban.

2yuf40j.jpg

5 hours ago, Nookos said:

I know.. It is so weird that we are not all attracted by the same things. Unconceivable people have different tastes...

No need to get defensive. It just seems that people on both sides of the ocean have different views regarding what constitutes a classic car. It seems people in the US (not sure about other American nations) just want the classic looks with modern technology, whereas people from the old continent seem to favour originality and the pure/Spartan (depending on your views :D) classic experience. Something tells me that is not a coincidence, but a result of the different take on history as a result of the relatively young age of the US. Of course, people from the opposite camps live on either side of the ocean too, though they seem to be quite a bit more rare.

More comfort, more efficiency, better handling,... No issues for me to leave behind the limitations and flaws.

It always breaks my heart to see a nice, original car torn to shreds to make it into something modern. The latter certainly are fun cars, but do not seem worth the price of admission: destroying a beautiful classic. Something can only be original once. Now, if you take something that is on the verge of being shredded and restore it to life, it might be a little different, but that often does not seem to be the case.

On December 2, 2015 at 11:08 PM, legoclone09 said:

I like my Mustangs. Especially the old ones from late 60's/early 70's.

ford-00089-1.jpg

Mach II Cobra, Its more or less a powered down strip racer, not very stabke in hilly terraine or curvacious roads. 

4 hours ago, Maximus97 said:

I have a couple of contenders. For aesthetics, you can't go wrong with a 1969 Corvette Stingray.

babyblue1969corvette-l-170a00e46db53b98.

However, as a country boy, I also have a soft spot for big lifted vehicles, particularly an 80's Chevrolet Suburban.

2yuf40j.jpg

The topic of conversation on monday morning at my highschool,was who rolled their jacked up bronco (i know its a chevy) over the weekend. I once rode a jacked up F350 tow truck, it had to be the most unconfortable ride, you feel every bump in three dimensions, which basically describes were you lunch is going to come out. 

At a car show I saw a Maserati 3500 GT and I thought it was the most beautiful car I had ever seen.  I didn't get a picture of it but i recreated the car on my racing sim and this is what it looked like

Maserati%203500%20GTI_zpsliokb4nd.jpg

Easy Peasy. BMW M3. Unassuming exterior. Murder underneath. Not so super-expensive that I'd have to remortgage the house and employ an engineer if i scratch a panel. Also like, super safe.

Obviously if I had unlimited money I'd have a whole collection of cars, but if I won the lottery tomorrow, that would be the car I would go and buy the next day. Or whenever I got back from honolulu.

Before i had kids

_lamborghini-murcielago-8.jpg

Their price was starting to come down towards 100k when the first baby arrived.

Now though, i have a new dream car to go with the new priorities

2008%20MB%20Viano.jpg

Mercedes viano, these are seriously nice vans.

But if im ever looking at a 100k car again, it will be an Oka because roadtrips without roads are fun for the kids.

category_leisure.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.