'Voyager' The Biggest KSP movie EVER

ThePULSAR

• 2 months later...
On 06/02/2016 at 1:34 PM, Majorjim said:

How do you know they needed hardware? And if so what exactly?

Well I can tell you first hand, nass did not initially want to do a kickstarter but people wanted to help. i had to do  a serious GPU upgrade to  make render times feasible, even then not all the software uses the GPU so a lot of shots still took 50+ hours of straight rendering on my CPU, not including designing, modeling and testing time. It was not a money grabbing exercise, people could donate or not, it's free will dude, if you don't want to that's just fine. We are just ordinary guys doing what we love in our spare time, we still have to make a living outside of that.

And it WILL be on YouTube as well nass has stated that previously, not sure why you stated that it will be charged.

Edited by Rareden

Well, getting a powerful PC is one hard thing... The most powerful one we have at our home costs $1000. The best ones cost around $40,000. Which is quite alot of money. My dad's one takes 30 min to compile a 30 min HD video. For a 4K 40 min cinematic, it will take at least a day to render everything. But with a massive PC, it will be just a few hours... So thats why he needs money.

On 05/27/2016 at 5:48 AM, Rareden said:

And it WILL be on YouTube

HI!

I think I indeed made a point that it would also be on YT and would get many views I'm sure which in turn gives money through ad revenue to Naz.

Still waiting on the cinematic.

Edited by Majorjim

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

HI!

I think I indeed made a point that it would also be on YT and would get many views I'm sure which in tern gives money through ad revenue to Naz.

Still waiting on the cinematic.

Even if Nassault and Rareden had borrowed money to pay for the hardware they needed, ad revenue would certainly not have recouped those costs and as they've already made clear: they aren't putting it on YouTube solely for revenue, far from it. 

Just now, HatBat said:

Even if Nassault and Rareden had borrowed money to pay for the hardware they needed, ad revenue would certainly not have recouped those costs and as they've already made clear: they aren't putting it on YouTube solely for revenue, far from it. 

I am just voicing my opinion. I welcome yours too.

Do you know why it did not show at DOCVILLE Film Fest as Naz said it would? I checked the site and found no mention of it.

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

I am just voicing my opinion. I welcome yours too.

Do you know why it did not show at DOCVILLE Film Fest as Naz said it would? I checked the site and found no mention of it.

Forums are designed for voicing opinions, as well as arguing them; there's no need to mention it. My first thought would be that it's not at Docville because it's likely not finished yet.

Just now, HatBat said:

there's no need to mention it.

Even so, sometimes it is good to remind each other.

I guess so. I am very interested to see it given that he called it the cinematic of the decade. :P I've seen some amazing game cinematics that had zero hype.

8 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

Even so, sometimes it is good to remind each other.

I guess so. I am very interested to see it given that he called it the cinematic of the decade. :P I've seen some amazing game cinematics that had zero hype.

I think you've underestimated Nassault's abilities quite a bit throughout this thread. Even calling his videos boring at one point. If you don't like his film making now then I have doubts that you're going to enjoy Voyager as much as you're hoping to. It even seems as though you're setting yourself up to be disappointed. To clarify, I don't think describing Nick's films as 'boring' could be further from the truth but you seem to expect that Voyager will be miraculously different from every other film he's made, which you don't seem to be such a fan of. 

Edited by HatBat

Just now, HatBat said:

I think you've underestimated Nassault's abilities quite a bit throughout this thread. Even calling his videos boring at one point. If you don't like his film making now then I have doubts that you're going to enjoy Voyager as much as you're hoping to. It even seems as though you're setting yourself up to be disappointed. To clarify, I don't think describing Nick's films as 'boring' could be further from the truth but you seem to expect that Voyager will be miraculously different from every other film he's made, which you don't seem to be such a fan of. 

I have watched quite a few of his videos and I understand why they where all very slow, sweeping affairs. They, due to the subject matter, games, lacked emotional content. Ie, human interactions. This is understandable and also why I feel that Voyager could be different in every regard. That coupled with his descriptions of it I am hoping it will be different, gripping, emotionally stimulating. I would like him to progress as a film maker beyond game videos and if this is what he wants to do, and I imagine it is, he needs to move away from the long shot replacing content style he relies so heavily on in his videos.

6 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I have watched quite a few of his videos and I understand why they where all very slow, sweeping affairs. They, due to the subject matter, games, lacked emotional content. Ie, human interactions. This is understandable and also why I feel that Voyager could be different in every regard. That coupled with his descriptions of it I am hoping it will be different, gripping, emotionally stimulating. I would like him to progress as a film maker beyond game videos and if this is what he wants to do, and I imagine it is, he needs to move away from the long shot replacing content style he relies so heavily on in his videos.

I think you either haven't watched as many videos of his as you think you have or you lack the ability the ability to see his work for what it is. "Gripping, emotionally stimulating", "emotional content. Ie, human interactions". Nassault has delivered on all those things in the past, and many of his films are much more than "very slow, sweeping affairs". 

If you expect Voyager will deliver all those things when according to you none of his other films have then I'm afraid that you're only going to be disappointed. 

Edited by HatBat

Just now, HatBat said:

I think you either haven't watched as many videos of his as you think you have or you lack the ability the ability to see his work for what it is. "Gripping, emotionally stimulating", "emotional content. Ie, human interactions". Nassault has delivered on all those things in the past, and many of his films are much more than "very slow, sweeping affairs". 

If you expect Voyager will deliver all those things when according to you none of his other films have then I'm afraid that you're only going to be disappointed. 

I don't know how I could have watched most of his YT videos and his three Vimeo ones and yet not seen as many as I think.. My memory is not that bad. :)

We obviously do not agree and any further discussion would be pointless. Thank you for the discourse mate. Only time will tell if I will indeed be disappointed.

Edited by Majorjim

12 minutes ago, Majorjim said:

I don't know how I could have watched most of his YT videos and his three Vimeo ones and yet not seen as many as I think.. My memory is not that bad. :)

We obviously do not agree and any further discussion would be pointless. Thank you for the discourse mate. Only time will tell if I will indeed be disappointed.

We obviously haven't agreed for the entire conversation but that didn't seem to stop you, why stop now? If everyone agreed on everything then forums wouldn't exist. Further discussion is never pointless. Though I can't make you continue, so time will have to tell.

I will say that it may just be a lack of perception or a difference in taste. A lot of people like Transformers; not as many people like the Godfather, unfortunately. Perhaps you don't see what I see in Nassault films because they just aren't for you. You've already stated that the only purpose you see in film festivals is the ability to use it in a film's advertising and a reward. If you can't see why it's an honour to get your film anywhere near a film festival then maybe you just don't have a particularly developed perception of film. 

Edited by HatBat

Just now, HatBat said:

We obviously haven't agreed for the entire conversation but that didn't seem to stop you, why stop now? If everyone agreed on everything then forums wouldn't exist. Further discussion is never pointless. Though I can't make you continue, so time will have to tell.

I will say that it may just be a lack of perception or a difference in taste. A lot of people like Transformers; not as many people like the Godfather. Perhaps you don't see what I see in Nassault films because they just aren't for you. 

Ok I will bite.

I saw a lot of skill and heart in his videos and yet I felt they where wasted making game based videos as, for me, the emotional content is blunted by it.

I hope he, and maybe Voyager is the first step of this, moves away from game videos and makes more short films with actual people and places in them. I think he is wasted doing what he is. And yes I found the endless sweeping scenes boring at times. They lacked, not action, that is too simplistic. They lacked content that drew me in. This as you say may be a lack of perception although I doubt this greatly. It is more likely to be my personal tastes.

On 18/03/2016 at 3:52 AM, Majorjim said:

11 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Don't know, I've been on Holiday for the past month so I haven't spoken to nass, last I heard the final cut was done and handed over to the musician to score the last part.

10 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Ok I will bite.

I saw a lot of skill and heart in his videos and yet I felt they where wasted making game based videos as, for me, the emotional content is blunted by it.

I hope he, and maybe Voyager is the first step of this, moves away from game videos and makes more short films with actual people and places in them. I think he is wasted doing what he is. And yes I found the endless sweeping scenes boring at times. They lacked, not action, that is too simplistic. They lacked content that drew me in. This as you say may be a lack of perception although I doubt this greatly. It is more likely to be my personal tastes.

Game videos don't always blunt emotions simply because they are video games, there are a lot of exceptional story based games that can make you teary eyed. The main reason we haven't made videos with actors is because that requires a huge deal of money and time, nass doesn't do 3d animations, he films it in ksp and space engine, I do all the animations, bringing actors into that adds a huge amount of complexity to that, and we simply don't have the infrastructure to do that. Voyager is the first instance in moving away from ksp.

As for sweeping scenes, true they aren't to everyone's taste, nass's style so far is that though, he does the same in his live action films, it's all part of progressing and what the feel/theme of the film is

Edited by Rareden

Just now, Rareden said:

Don't know, I've been on Holiday for the past month so I haven't spoken to nass, last I heard the final cut was done and handed over to the musician to score the last part.

Game videos don't always blunt emotions simply because they are video games, there are a lot of exceptional story based games that can make you teary eyed. The main reason we haven't made videos with actors is because that requires a huge deal of money and time, nass doesn't do 3d animations, he films it in ksp and space engine, I do all the animations, bringing actors into that adds a huge amount of complexity to that, and we simply don't have the infrastructure to do that. Voyager is the first instance in moving away from ksp.

As for sweeping scenes, true they sent to everyone's taste, nass's style so far is that though, he does the same in his live action films, it's all part of progressing and what the feel/theme of the film is.

Fair enough. I will definitely be watching it when it is released.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2016 at 9:47 AM, Majorjim said:

I am in two minds about this thing. I think a kickstarter for something like this is madness and just a greedy money grabbing exercise. They will monatise the video too no doubt so no way in hell I am sending them any money.

Secondly, 45 minutes?? That is WAY too long for a game video. Also calling it 'the cinematic of the decade'...

Also, also they are making DVD cases for this?? That is some major ego trip..

I began making Kerbal Space Program cinematics in 2012, when Kerbal Space Progam was still on it's .vbullitin. I credit my channel growth to the parrellel between my understanding of editing and composition, while Kerbal Space Program began to really get going. Many people stuck around, and we began to see names connected to Youtube Channels on the subject matter of this game. We all offered something new and different to the community.

This film was the pinnicle--for myself and the people who helped work with me. My channel slowed down for a bit, as I headed back to uni, for film production, to learn the industry and standards within Los Angeles county. Indie films, by Hollywood standards range anywhere from a $1-11 million budget average, Rom-Coms and drama are upward, and then we begin to see budgets of $400,000,000 for a studio to  produce an action film. Budgeted at 500 times lower than even half of the lowest Hollywood standard indie film budget, we are all very proud of the quality of V O Y A G E R. I am sorry it is not up to your standards.

Death is a void that as an non-believer I find quite daunting. My best way to motivate my life, be relevent and fight this innevitable fate is to create. Creation makes me feel like I can fight back the dark, for now, and at least leave something for even just one person to see when I am gone.

I will try harder next time, as I am still learning

Nassault

Edited by Nassault630

Just now, Nassault630 said:

I am sorry you found this project not up to your standards.

I'll try harder next time.

Hi Nassault.

I wrote that a while ago, I have yet to watch the cinematic so I am unsure why you would suspect that it was not up to my standards.

I understand that you must have put a lot of effort, time and love into the cinematic and I understand about wanting to create and to leave something of yourself behind, I really do.

I do still feel the same way about the way the project was presented and hyped. Sorry. That is just my opinion posted on a thread on a website. It has no bearing on your ability to create or to think or live or love or any of those good things. Try to step back and see it for what it is. Nothing.

I wish you luck for the future Nassault.

I wanted to add, your reply made me feel like an ass. It was eloquent and more importantly, truthful.

I apologize if I caused any upset or annoyance @Nassault630. I will think a little more before making comments like those at the beginning of this thread, no matter how I feel.

Edited by Majorjim

5 hours ago, Majorjim said:

Hi Nassault.

I wrote that a while ago, I have yet to watch the cinematic so I am unsure why you would suspect that it was not up to my standards.

I understand that you must have put a lot of effort, time and love into the cinematic and I understand about wanting to create and to leave something of yourself behind, I really do.

I do still feel the same way about the way the project was presented and hyped. Sorry. That is just my opinion posted on a thread on a website. It has no bearing on your ability to create or to think or live or love or any of those good things. Try to step back and see it for what it is. Nothing.

I wanted to add, your reply made me feel like an ass. It was eloquent and more importantly, truthful.

I apologize if I caused any upset or annoyance @Nassault630. I will think a little more before making comments like those at the beginning of this thread, no matter how I feel.

Well said, but opinions are quite useful, we have all listened to the opinions of others in our lives and made changes, most of the time for the better.
People should not be discouraged from voicing their opinion, as long as its useful however and not just "bro, this was crap." (as an example, not saying you said that).

@Nassault630 a soothing work of art. I really hope FTL travel is someday made possible. As Carl Sagan said, 

The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space.

Good luck on all your future voyages! :wink:

Edited by cubinator
actual quote box

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.