Is it frowned upon to ask for Alpha helpers?

Bilfr3d

So at the moment I'm working on some of my skills in terms of game development - in preparation for one of my quite large games that I plan to be working on. As with any game, I obviously need some alpha testers, but at the moment I can't seem to find any reliable source for gamers and the like (ok, I haven't even searched that much yet). Now, given that this is a forum for Kerbal Space Program - a game, would it be frowned upon to look for alpha testers for a game? And this isn't just limited to the KSP forums either, is it frowned upon in general to look for alpha testers on ANY game forum or discussion page(s), regardless if the topic area is listed as an area for 'off-topic' discussions.

5 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I think most put feelers out or advertise as such elsewhere, like Google groups or maybe Yahoo groups. If you're looking for a more serious lot, try maybe Programmers Heaven.

I've never seen programmers heaven before, thanks for the link. I'm not particularly looking for a 'serious' group as such, more so I guess a more community-knit group (such is the KSP forums/community).

4 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

As long as you're not paying people, asking them to pay you, and posting in the non-KSP part of the forum (which you are), should be alright. :) 

:o If I have blessings from @Vanamonde then nothing can stop me now *evil cackling*

Seriously though, having a mod comment on this makes it much more justifiable for me :P Maybe I could even make a 'development' thread here in the lounge? :0 then SQUAD will find it... see how amazing I am... then hire me! :DDon't hurt me SQUAD, SQUAD is love, SQUAD is life

8 hours ago, LordFerret said:

I think most put feelers out or advertise as such elsewhere, like Google groups or maybe Yahoo groups. If you're looking for a more serious lot, try maybe Programmers Heaven.

I thought Programmers Heaven was Stack Exchange. 

Anyway, I'd be willing to alpha test, depending on what sort of game it is. 

6 hours ago, ToTheMun said:

I've never seen programmers heaven before, thanks for the link. I'm not particularly looking for a 'serious' group as such, more so I guess a more community-knit group (such is the KSP forums/community).

:o If I have blessings from @Vanamonde then nothing can stop me now *evil cackling*

Seriously though, having a mod comment on this makes it much more justifiable for me :P Maybe I could even make a 'development' thread here in the lounge? :0 then SQUAD will find it... see how amazing I am... then hire me! :DDon't hurt me SQUAD, SQUAD is love, SQUAD is life

Science of the Spheres has a development thread here.

14 hours ago, Robotengineer said:

I thought Programmers Heaven was Stack Exchange. 

Anyway, I'd be willing to alpha test, depending on what sort of game it is. 

Stack Exchange is a newer web based thingie - a conglomeration of stuff. Never used it. Programmers Heaven has been around since like the early 90's, and if I recall correctly, was a magazine before that.

i know one guy from another community who always wants me to test his stuff. and most of the time i find it rather annoying. of course he asks me a lot and is very annoying about it. if you ask nicely, once, i dont see anything wrong with that. if they say no, just accept it, if they say yes maybe ask them if they want to keep testing but dont nag em to check every little thing. however you will find a lot of people will help you test stuff just to get an early glimpse at your game. but you better wow them otherwise they will get bored and wonder off. you can also pay them.

Edited by Nuke

Just now, Nuke said:

you can also pay them.

I could. But not if I'm advertising the opportunity through these forums here, as one of the mods has also stated. That's also not an option in any case, due to obvious budget limitations which is why I'm going to open communities in the first place.

1 minute ago, Nuke said:

you better wow them otherwise they will get bored and wonder off.

Cool. If I'm not paying them, they can 'wonder off' any time they want. It's not like a beta test is a binding contract (most of the time).

2 minutes ago, Nuke said:

most of the time i find it rather annoying.

Cool, I'll be sure not to ask you for help. There's how ever many million people left on the internet to ask.

ANYWAY,

I'll most likely be making a development thread here in the off-topics lounge soon(tm) about my amazingly horrible game that I'm going to be making, that's going to 'wow' no one and make everyone 'get bored and wonder off.' :)

soon(tm) being within the next couple of month. events and other stuff are delaying this. such is life

im not trying to be harsh or anything. its just my experience with people asking me to alpha test their stuff, and sometimes even help work out a code problem. he still bugs me a couple times a month even though ive made it clear that i have no further interest in helping. in this case i probibly wouldnt help if he paid me. i had another guy ask awhile back to do some modeling, he even offered to pay, but some stuff was going on and i couldn't put myself into the right frame of mind to get creative. i told him i couldn't help and he was cool with that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.