linuxgurugamer

[1.2] FTL Drive Continued

82 posts in this topic

@linuxgurugamer I'm having the same problem editing the .cfg as others here have had. I don't see a resolution.

For example, I tried to increase the maxGeneratorForce in /GameData/FTLDriveContinued/Parts/FTLDriveS2/FTLDriveLarge.cfg. I increased the value to 750000 for testing purposes.

I just did a test jump. The required force was around 250000iN. Even with the edited config, it had a 0.1% success rate. While the drive was spooling up, I noticed it only reached 2500iN (the default in the .cfg I edited, which should have been changed). I obviously exploded because the maxGeneratorForce was not recognized by the part in-game after editing the .cfg.

Is the maxGeneratorForce hard-coded into the .dll? I assume that's the case. After editing the .cfg, the part displays 750000iN in-game, but that only seems to be a reflection of the text I changed, not the actual function of the drive.

Is there anyway to actually change the maxGeneratorForce thas has an effect on jumps?

Also, I saw you were upset a few posts back about not adding any logs. If you think a log would be helpful, just let me know which one you require, and I will add it. But I don't see it helping right now since I've described the issue pretty clearly.

Thanks

Edited by slontone
formatting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slontone said:

@linuxgurugamer I'm having the same problem editing the .cfg as others here have had. I don't see a resolution.

For example, I tried to increase the maxGeneratorForce in /GameData/FTLDriveContinued/Parts/FTLDriveS2/FTLDriveLarge.cfg. I increased the value to 750000 for testing purposes.

I just did a test jump. The required force was around 250000iN. Even with the edited config, it had a 0.1% success rate. While the drive was spooling up, I noticed it only reached 2500iN (the default in the .cfg I edited, which should have been changed). I obviously exploded because the maxGeneratorForce was not recognized by the part in-game after editing the .cfg.

Is the maxGeneratorForce hard-coded into the .dll? I assume that's the case. After editing the .cfg, the part displays 750000iN in-game, but that only seems to be a reflection of the text I changed, not the actual function of the drive.

Is there anyway to actually change the maxGeneratorForce thas has an effect on jumps?

Also, I saw you were upset a few posts back about not adding any logs. If you think a log would be helpful, just let me know which one you require, and I will add it. But I don't see it helping right now since I've described the issue pretty clearly.

Thanks

Nothing to be annoyed about (yet).  That episode was when there was a new set of parts and new code,people were saying there was a problem but nobody posted.

In your case, I would still appreciate the log file.  Among other things, it shows me what OS you are on, what version of the mod you are using, what version of KSP, etc.  None of which, you realize, you mentioned above :-)

Anyway, the log file:

To find your log file:

  • Windows (32-bit): See {KSP}\KSP_Data\output_log.txt
  • Windows (64-bit): See {KSP}\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log. Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log
  • Linux: See ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Nothing to be annoyed about (yet).  That episode was when there was a new set of parts and new code,people were saying there was a problem but nobody posted.

In your case, I would still appreciate the log file.  Among other things, it shows me what OS you are on, what version of the mod you are using, what version of KSP, etc.  None of which, you realize, you mentioned above :-)

Anyway, the log file:

To find your log file:

  • Windows (32-bit): See {KSP}\KSP_Data\output_log.txt
  • Windows (64-bit): See {KSP}\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt
  • Mac OSX: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log. Aka Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log
  • Linux: See ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal Space Program/Player.log

 

Thanks for your reply.

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04. KSP 1.2.2, and the latest version of this mod.

I looked in the location you specified, but there is no "Kerbal Space Program" directory under ~/.config/unity3d/Squad. Only "Kerbal Launcher"

There is a player.log file in that directory, here it is: http://pastebin.com/0kC3ywsj

I hope that helps.

Thanks again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need the whole file, not just a part of it.

anyway, the success depends on, among other things, the location of the jumping ship and the location of the beacon, specifically in relation to the nearest planetary body.  If you are too close, nothing will work and you will explode.

So, before you jump next time, record exactly how far you are from the nearest body, and how far the beacon is from the nearest body.  Nothing is hard-coded, I'm thinking (without the full log file) that you are too close with one or both of them.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New Release: 0.1.7

  • Added FTL Analysis window, when you right-click the drive module

For anyone who is having problem such as @slontone, before you contact me, please get an FTL Analysis report and post the data.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I need the whole file, not just a part of it.

anyway, the success depends on, among other things, the location of the jumping ship and the location of the beacon, specifically in relation to the nearest planetary body.  If you are too close, nothing will work and you will explode.

So, before you jump next time, record exactly how far you are from the nearest body, and how far the beacon is from the nearest body.  Nothing is hard-coded, I'm thinking (without the full log file) that you are too close with one or both of them.

I did post the full log. Selected all, copied, pasted into pastebin. As I said in my other post, I think you were looking for another log. But the one you requested wasn't there. That was the only player.log in ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/

Also, I used hyper edit for testing, I noticed the forced required changed the further I got from the planet, but my max force generated did not. (Even though I changed it in the .cfg.)

I will update the mod and paste the new log as you requested in a few minutes.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, the log on pastebin is only 70k, and is only about 1500 lines long.  It definitely isn't a complete log.

Could you use Dropbox or Google Drive instead?

Oh, and HyperEdit is very good for testing this :-)

Edited by linuxgurugamer
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@linuxgurugamer Here is the log before I edited maxGeneratorForce in /GameData/FTLDriveContinued/Parts/FTLDriveS2/FTLDriveLarge.cfg. (It was set at the defualt of 2500 in the cfg)

Spoiler

 

Beacon: Kerbin (10.0Mm)
Force required: 145418.8iN
Success probability: 1.7%

Vessel orbiting around: Eve
Vessel altitude: 20000000.0m
EveRadius: 700000.0m

Beacon orbiting around Kerbin
Beacon altitude: 9999289.2m
KerbinRadius: 600000.0m

 

Here is the log after I edited maxGeneratorForce in the same cfg (I set it to 750000, and yes, I closed and re-loaded the game after changing the config befor getting the next log). Which should be more than enough to give me 100% success, but its the same problem as my original post, the change I make in the .cfg doesn't reflect anything in-game. (Except to change the text showing it has a max force of 750000, but that doesn't affect the jump calculations at all)

Spoiler

 

Beacon: Kerbin (10.0Mm)
Force required: 145418.8iN
Success probability: 1.7%

Vessel orbiting around: Eve
Vessel altitude: 20000000.0m
EveRadius: 700000.0m

Beacon orbiting around Kerbin
Beacon altitude: 9999289.3m
KerbinRadius: 600000.0m

 

 

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

well, the log on pastebin is only 70k, and is only about 1500 lines long.  It definitely isn't a complete log.

Could you use Dropbox or Google Drive instead?

Noticed your reply while I was writing this post. That's because the log is 70.7kb with 1512 lines. (Checked it on my PC just now) so the pastebin link I gave you was a complete log.

Again, thanks for your assistance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok.  It's still not the whole log, the data I linked with that may be missing some info.

But, what you provided is useful.  I'll try the same tomorrow morning and see what results I get

I'll need copies of the craft file also, please

There are a number of things impacting the success probability.  The Force Required is what's required to do the jump, not what can be generated

 

Edited by linuxgurugamer
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok.  It's still not the whole log, the data I linked with that may be missing some info.

But, what you provided is useful.  I'll try the same tomorrow morning and see what results I get

I'll need copies of the craft file also, please

There are a number of things impacting the success probability.  The Force Required is what's required to do the jump, not what can be generated

 

Yes, I realize that the force required is how much force is required to do the jump. I've understood that from the beginning. (Not being rude, just want you to know we're on the same page). But the maxGeneratorForce is how much force the drive can produce, correct? Because if the force required is 250000, and I set the maxGeneratorForce to 750000, that should have given me way more than the required force to complete the jump in question, right?

Here is the craft file: https://kerbalx.com/download/craft/23611 (I made it big and bulky intentionally, its nothing more than just to test the FTL. I wanted it to be large so it would increase the force required, so I could test to see if the force generated would have any affect)

As far as the log goes, it is most certainly the complete player.log file found in ~/.config/unity3d/SQUAD/Kerbal Launcher. As I mentioned in the other post, ~/.config/unity3d/SQUAD/Kerbal Space Program doesn't exist.

17 hours ago, slontone said:

I looked in the location you specified, but there is no "Kerbal Space Program" directory under ~/.config/unity3d/Squad. Only "Kerbal Launcher"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, slontone said:

As far as the log goes, it is most certainly the complete player.log file found in ~/.config/unity3d/SQUAD/Kerbal Launcher. As I mentioned in the other post, ~/.config/unity3d/SQUAD/Kerbal Space Program doesn't exist.

I meant that I may not have given you the correct location of the correct log file.

But the craft file will be useful, I can now test

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I meant that I may not have given you the correct location of the correct log file.

But the craft file will be useful, I can now test

Ah, ok.

Awesome, thanks for testing, hope we can get to the bottom of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slontone said:

Here is the craft file: https://kerbalx.com/download/craft/23611 (I made it big and bulky intentionally, its nothing more than just to test the FTL. I wanted it to be large so it would increase the force required, so I could test to see if the force generated would have any affect)

Craft file is a 404, meaning it's not there

 

Edit: I was able to find it on KerbalX

Edited by linuxgurugamer
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, so here is what's happening (you are going to kick yourself)

Even though you changed the value in the part, the value is NOT changed in any vessels that are either saved or in flight.  Those values are stored in the vessel.  This is why, when you changed the part value, it wasn't appearing in the vesse.

I did find a bug which was only significant if you had multiple drive modules, it had no effect in your case since you only had a single drive module.

I've also added the charge time and combined generator force to the analysis report to better identify this in the future. look for an update later this evening

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Ok, so here is what's happening (you are going to kick yourself)

Even though you changed the value in the part, the value is NOT changed in any vessels that are either saved or in flight.  Those values are stored in the vessel.  This is why, when you changed the part value, it wasn't appearing in the vesse.

I did find a bug which was only significant if you had multiple drive modules, it had no effect in your case since you only had a single drive module.

I've also added the charge time and combined generator force to the analysis report to better identify this in the future. look for an update later this evening

LMAO, you're right. Kicking commenced.

I didn't think about that at all. I'll do a quick test to confirm everything works, I'm sure it will now.

Thanks for your help, glad it was such an easy fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New release:  0.1.8

  • Added more data to FTL Analysis window
  • Fixed problem with multiple drives not being combined properly
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, what a cool mod. I have been playing around with this in a sandbox and so far have been successful sending a jump ship to Eve and back. I then loaded my career save and I found the parts in my tech tree. The parts are about half way through the tree, costing 160 research to unlock. 

@linuxgurugamer, have you considered moving the parts farther down the tree? My assumption would be that they would be late game parts. Or maybe I am missing something and having them available earlier makes sense and I am just not seeing it.

 

Either way, thank you for resurrecting this mod!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dr Farnsworth said:

Wow, what a cool mod. I have been playing around with this in a sandbox and so far have been successful sending a jump ship to Eve and back. I then loaded my career save and I found the parts in my tech tree. The parts are about half way through the tree, costing 160 research to unlock. 

@linuxgurugamer, have you considered moving the parts farther down the tree? My assumption would be that they would be late game parts. Or maybe I am missing something and having them available earlier makes sense and I am just not seeing it.

 

Either way, thank you for resurrecting this mod!

 

I don;t think he has had the to balance the parts any further than the original mod. I suspect any input such as this would be a welcome discussion. Where abouts in the tree do you think they should go? 

Don't forget the bear in mind that unlike many 'warp drive' or similar mods this one requires you get the destination with a probe first. so you can;t just jump to somewhere you haven;t already been. It does make the game easier though (as do many mods).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dr Farnsworth said:

Wow, what a cool mod. I have been playing around with this in a sandbox and so far have been successful sending a jump ship to Eve and back. I then loaded my career save and I found the parts in my tech tree. The parts are about half way through the tree, costing 160 research to unlock. 

@linuxgurugamer, have you considered moving the parts farther down the tree? My assumption would be that they would be late game parts. Or maybe I am missing something and having them available earlier makes sense and I am just not seeing it.

I originally did this for @TheReadPanda. who uses it during streaming.

I'm not going to change the current, but I could have a patch which modifies where they come, it would be an optional install.  But since I don't use it myself that much, I'd like your suggestions as to where the parts should be in the tech tree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2017 at 6:27 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

I originally did this for @TheReadPanda. who uses it during streaming.

I'm not going to change the current, but I could have a patch which modifies where they come, it would be an optional install.  But since I don't use it myself that much, I'd like your suggestions as to where the parts should be in the tech tree.

in CTT, WAYYY far. like, unified field theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May I ask that how could I active a number of FTL Jump the same time if I forget the action group?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 9:31 AM, 影之瑒 said:

May I ask that how could I active a number of FTL Jump the same time if I forget the action group?

from my understanding the current version of this mod will autonomously activate all the FTL drives attached to the vessel (whether action grouped or not) when you ask one drive to jump.

although @linuxgurugamer should be able to clarify.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, steedcrugeon said:

from my understanding the current version of this mod will autonomously activate all the FTL drives attached to the vessel (whether action grouped or not) when you ask one drive to jump.

although @linuxgurugamer should be able to clarify.

Hi guys,

@steedcrugeon is right, just need one and it takes into account all FTL drives of the current vessel.

On 11/25/2016 at 2:22 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

New release: 0.1.5:

* Updated stacking to be a descending exponential curve for additional drives.  It is now using the formula:
        force * 1.4 ^ (-cnt)
        Where force = generated force by drive
        cnt = cnt of additional drive mode.
        So this means that the following applies to additional drives:
        Drive #        Multiplier
            2        0.714285714
            3        0.510204082
            4        0.364431487    
            5        0.260308205    
            6        0.185934432    
            7        0.132810309    
            8        0.094864506
            9        0.067760362
            10        0.048400258

    * Updated display of generated force and chances to take multiple drives into account

 

Regards =)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @steedcrugeon

It's really nice when some else helps out.

Especially when they have the correct information :-)

On 1/29/2017 at 7:15 PM, toric5 said:

in CTT, WAYYY far. like, unified field theory.

I'm not too familiar with CTT, but it kind of sounds right.

Is there something wrong about this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now