Drag racing idea

28 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

HA HA you funny man, certainly not giving anything away in the demo craft!   I love the engine but the car it's in....   First trials have been hilarious in the level of incompetence shown by the driver, a return to the workshop saw me stretch it a little which improved things, added a touch of locked off down force and made it, albeit at pedestrian speeds  (163ms) down to the end of the runway. I like that you've held true to the fact that drag engines have practically zero cooling and take forever to cool enough to be touched by bare paws. 

The only thing i don't like much is the off on nature of the torque, a little more build up would be nice, but that I know is a personal thing, and I'll certainly get used to the way it is ....eventually.   

Op agreed :) and there's a little issue with reverting, which i reckon many will be doing over the next few days, if you revert to launch after a disastrous run, the compressed air is depleted and the engine flames out,  currently it's not a problem but for events,  using hyper edit to top up things will undoubtedly  be frowned upon

0dMqfeG.gif

Seems like you like it :-)

Yeah after the fuel flow problem solved I was out of energy, decided to take a rest and just ... throw it online :-)

Indeed, the demo vehicle is more of a joke than anything useful.

Torque buildup: with those top fuel machines you see those engines accelerate almost instantly to max RPM. According to the wiki, they're able to accelerate to 44m/s in 0.8 seconds. Since a torque converter or clutch is difficult to build with stock modules and no rotating parts, I decided to tie torque directly to engine power output. The values you see (like 2000kN in a cylinder) are meaningless and can't be compared with real life. I do hope the values give some balance for anyone interested in using these engines ... and I might choose to make them overheat even quicker.

First I need to reduce power output or ... increase resource consumption of the wheels while maintaining their max torque. The max torque of the wheels is enough to reach Mach 1 ... maybe even faster. I think I'll keep it that way. If someone wants to build a V12, V16 or W24 they'll have a chance to really approach ridiculous speeds. You've probably noticed an awful lot of wheelspin ... keeping your finger constantly fixed on the accelerator is a bad idea.

I might include a sample for Wheelsounds so you can actually hear when the wheels are spinning. 

What I see in your animation ... at first I had the rear wing positioned rear of the wheels. If you put it directly above the wheels, you'll probably need less downforce on the front.

What I also see: the bug in KerbPaint. If a mirrored part forgets it's colour, go the first, open KerbPaint interface and choose copy, then paste on the other one. It's a bit tedious with a lot of parts but it works.

What do you think of the visual/audio fx? I've put hours in them to get them somewhat realistic.

Edit: about reverting: compressed air shouldn't be the issue. I forgot to mention, I've put in a single unit of torque to start the engine. If you touch the wheel controls (forward/reverse) it's instantly depleted.

Edited by Azimech

2 minutes ago, Azimech said:

What do you think of the visual/audio fx? I've put hours in them to get them somewhat realistic.

I love it, all the way through the range it looks good, the low rev haze above the pipes is very pleasing.  I reckon you could reduce the output by at least half although I've just tweaked my way to a decent  everybody lives half throttle run so maybe a third  , keep the heating the same( please no hotter quicker)

I do have wheel sounds and I'll add something in, as being able to hear the wheelspin with my Dakar entries saved my car many times

Below not bad for an old man, car as supplied just stretched and glued down a bit more, oh and a little tweak or ten to the suspension settings 11.6g !!!!

DXGROco.png

2 hours ago, Triop said:

It fits !

giphy.gif

siXmZAU.png

Edit: Found out it also works without the fuellines.

My progress:

gyBcnwp.png

Yes, the fuel lines are for looks.

24 minutes ago, Triop said:

Did some work on the engine, corrected the exhaust pipes so my car won't burn down, made the engine a bit compacter:

rGDg589.png

Tip: type "77" in the sph search bar for quick access to the parts. :wink:

I used the tag "racing" ... didn't think of this one, nice!

By the way, you can use a smaller air intake if you wish. Plus: the engine runs fine without the exhaust stacks. You can also place them in the rear of the car for a 600N boost, per stack.

Idea: shall I rescale all parts to make them easier to fit?

Edited by Azimech

1 minute ago, Triop said:

Well, I got the car ready, but it doesn't work, won't go faster than 20 m/s... :blink:

qTe7rpk.png

I'm going to experiment with the demo dragster to see what's going on....&)

Check the wheels I supplied ... They run on a custom resource named "Torque". You can edit your wheels or ... wait until I upload a new test version with more and rescaled parts. Also an engine option to run on Super 98 (Premium in US) with lower power output but better mileage.

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

@Azimech - I made this just for you ...... :cool:

Nice! Thanks! I see a big potential in your design!

Edit: With all that power ... maybe an extra set of rear wheels would do even more magic ... I don't know ... wish I could calculate all that stuff :-)

That's something probably never tried before ... a 6-wheeled dragster. GRIN.

Edited by Azimech

3 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Nice! Thanks! I see a big potential in your design!

Edit: With all that power ... maybe an extra set of rear wheels would do even more magic ... I don't know ... wish I could calculate all that stuff :-)

That's something probably never tried before ... a 6-wheeled dragster. GRIN.

She has 6 rear wheels clipped into each other and two on the front

The biggest problem is keeping it going straight as well as the terrain seams ... need more downforce

So I am wondering how fast you can go on a flat surface and have your vehicle survive (mostly)

I'm having issues with the seams on the runway but have clocked over 280m/s on it, however when doing a run on the grass beside the runway I can clock over 300m/s

I challenge all of you out there in Kerbal Land to post your top speed using @Azimech's amazing mod listed earlier in the thread

Just an idea for a challenge : Fastest car in 10 seconds.

The idea is that you make a rocket car, hit space, go, press F1 at 10 seconds and we have time and speed proven.

lP6GMM2.png

Simple but fun, what do you guys think ?

Edit, extra fun, hit F1 just before 11 seconds could give you a faster time.

Edited by Triop

57 minutes ago, DoctorDavinci said:

So I am wondering how fast you can go on a flat surface and have your vehicle survive (mostly)

I'm having issues with the seams on the runway but have clocked over 280m/s on it, however when doing a run on the grass beside the runway I can clock over 300m/s

I challenge all of you out there in Kerbal Land to post your top speed using @Azimech's amazing mod listed earlier in the thread

-I'm having issues with the seams on the runway-  What version ? I use v1.2.2.1622, I have seams on the grass, but not on the runway.

I keep spinning using Azimech his mod, but I love playing with it, I bet he's working on his mod right now it will be

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, DoctorDavinci said:

:D

Enjoy it while you can, the next version will be more balanced towards realism. But ... I'm also including different parts and setups for the creation of road cars. Every part resized to real world values and much lighter. Instead of parts exploding, I'm choosing to make them indestructible but make them break loose easily on impact ... if feasible.

qURzZWp.png

Edited by Azimech

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.