GregroxMun

Seven Worlds around SLIPPIST-1 (v0.4)

29 posts in this topic

DOWNLOAD Pre-Release 0.4 at GitHub

The Kerbal Astronomical Union's SLIPPIST instrument (Shadow of Light Imaging of Planets and Planetesimals In the Sky Telescope, not to be confused with the Kerbal brand of Root Beer after which the telescope was named), has just made an incredible discovery this week. The SLIPPIST-1 Star System, around which we previously knew of three Kerbin-sized planets, has been confirmed to be the parent to an additional four planets, for a total of seven. At least three of these worlds are known to be in the habitable zone, the region of space around which water can remain liquid.

SEVEN WORLDS AROUND SLIPPIST-1

Rendered in a stockalike art style, SLIPPIST-1 is a Kerbalized rendition of the TRAPPIST-1 star system. Planets have been scaled down to 1/10 scale to fit in the Kerbal universe. By default it replaces the stock system, but there is a setting.cfg that can be used to make the Slippist star system into an alien star system a distance away from the stock system.

3z2K0Js.png

More Pictures:

Spoiler

trdpKaQ.png

SLIPPIST-1. Yes, this is what red dwarf stars really look like (though perhaps the sunspots are a tad exaggerated). Red dwarfs are actually yellow-orange in color. They are very dim to the naked eye, however.

Dc84fss.png

Beta, or SLIPPIST-1 b. A so-called "Fat Io" planet, a Kerbin-sized planet with many volcanoes upon its surface. It is kept nice and toasty by its proximity to the star, and then it goes the extra step and gets EXTRA HOT ON THE INSIDE because of tidal forces.

CkPA3oL.png

Charlie, or SLIPPIST-1 c. Covered in volcanoes too, but you wouldn't notice on account of all the clouds and the runaway greenhouse effect.

sWQKMKj.png

Delta or SLIPPIST-1 d. A desert with some oceans along the terminator and an ice cap along the far side.

YIIMtQL.png

SLIPPIST-1 e, or Echo. Home of the Echoan Kerbals. Largely deserted like its orbitally inferior neighbor, but along the temperate band there is a distinct occurrence of wildlife.

z1pSUs7.png

SLIPPIST-1 f, or Foxtrot. Largely an ocean world (Large landmasses would have mostly covered the land on the night side, if only there wasn't an ice cap there) with a few spots of land. Panspermia is a heck of a thing, and as a result, plant life has grown along the temperate ring.

LpOHdFb.png

SLIPPIST-1 g or Golf. Similar story to its smaller brother, and the largest of the SLIPPIST-1 planets. Plant life on Golf had evolved on its own, and takes a novel approach to photosynthetic pigment.

OVYNply.png

The final planet of the SLIPPIST-1 Star System. The relatively small, but still formidable, icy SLIPPIST-1 h or Hotel. It is remarkably smooth aside from its large rift valleys.

PLANNED FEATURES:

• Define atmospheres for all bodies.
  • Asteroids and comets. (Potential early-game landing destinations.)
  • Science Definitions
Edited by GregroxMun
14 people like this

Spoiler

Progress Update:

0emj3RM.png

Hp3biOs.png

SLIPPIST-1d, the closest planet to have a dark side ice cap. 1c is a venusian planet with a hot enough atmosphere to melt the ice, and 1b is either volcanic or has a spin-orbit resonance, take your pick.

Because LandControl is a witch, I create the terrain with a heightmap, procedurally color it with landControl, then edit the map to add the white ice cap. The map goes on both color for PQS and color for scaledspace, and I remove the LandControl coloration.

This method must be reproduced for planets e through g. Despite still having unfinished planets (Laythe, Kerbin-clone, and Eeloo currently represent planets f, g, h) I want to release what I have tonight.

FEATURES

• TRAPPIST-1 analogue with accurate orbits and planetary sizes, Kerbalized as the SLIPPIST-1 system.
  • SLIPPIST-1: A red star with accurate color and reasonably reddish lighting.
  • S-1 b: A volcanic fat Io, covered in an awful lot of volcanoes. (Volcanoes are decorative of course.)
  • S-1 c: A venusian planet with clouds (Kopernicus-based clouds that work by putting a cloud texture in scaledspace and a regular planet in PQS) covered in volcanoes.
  • S-1 d: A hot Duna-like planet with an ice cap on the far side.
  • S-1 e: A mostly procedurally generated Kerbin-like planet, no ice cap or tidal lock yet. (This will happen eventually)
  • S-1 f: A Laythe clone.
  • S-1 g: A Kerbin clone.
  • S-1 h: An Eeloo clone.

DOWNLOAD at GitHub

Edited by GregroxMun
5 people like this

Nice, I was wondering when someone would get inspired!  I have a really odd questions for you.  I would love to try this mod out as if my crew and I where on a ship coming in from a long space journey from Kerbin/Earth.  First off, can you make a version of this without any KSC on any planets?  Second, is it even possible to create a craft file and inject it into the system without the KSC?

If not, maybe its possible to model the VAB, Kerbalnaut Center and a Launch Pad as a Monolith, a rock, and a flat area fill in as proxies for them.  Then we can build the ship and get the crew loaded in the VAB, and then cheat the entire craft/crafts into a incoming orbit, simulating a incoming mission.  Its a perfect system for a sandbox mission like this!  Hope this idea catches your intrest! :D

what other mod requirements are needed for this?

and thanks for more of your great work.

Cheers.

13 hours ago, CarnageINC said:

Nice, I was wondering when someone would get inspired!  I have a really odd questions for you.  I would love to try this mod out as if my crew and I where on a ship coming in from a long space journey from Kerbin/Earth.  First off, can you make a version of this without any KSC on any planets?  Second, is it even possible to create a craft file and inject it into the system without the KSC?

If not, maybe its possible to model the VAB, Kerbalnaut Center and a Launch Pad as a Monolith, a rock, and a flat area fill in as proxies for them.  Then we can build the ship and get the crew loaded in the VAB, and then cheat the entire craft/crafts into a incoming orbit, simulating a incoming mission.  Its a perfect system for a sandbox mission like this!  Hope this idea catches your intrest! :D

When I release the mod I will include support to put it in another star system "orbiting" Kerbol at 4 light years away (40/10 ly) and I expect @Sigma88 will jump to have more M-class stars in his Galactic Neighborhood mod. Both of those versions will have removed space centers on their planets. It's possible to put a craft in the save file without a space cneter to launch it from, but the space center is how you go to the tracking station Perhaps quickloads could do it. Actually it would be kind of cool to be trapped in a system that has no Space Center, no Kerbin. Only your one space ship operating alone and far from home. That isolation, that feeling that there is no other Kerbal soul in the entire universe except for the ones on your spacecraft...

Remodeling the KSC is however out of the question. I don't even know if it's possible, let alone for me to do it.

10 hours ago, drtedastro said:

what other mod requirements are needed for this?

Kopernicus and its prerequisites.

Edited by GregroxMun
1 person likes this

Deleted

Edited by UnnamedProdigy
Deletion

8 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

When I release the mod I will include support to put it in another star system "orbiting" Kerbol at 4 light years away (40/10 ly) and I expect @Sigma88 will jump to have more M-class stars in his Galactic Neighborhood mod. Both of those versions will have removed space centers on their planets. It's possible to put a craft in the save file without a space cneter to launch it from, but the space center is how you go to the tracking station Perhaps quickloads could do it. Actually it would be kind of cool to be trapped in a system that has no Space Center, no Kerbin. Only your one space ship operating alone and far from home. That isolation, that feeling that there is no other Kerbal soul in the entire universe except for the ones on your spacecraft...

Remodeling the KSC is however out of the question. I don't even know if it's possible, let alone for me to do it.

Kopernicus and its prerequisites.

Thanks for the reply.  You get it, what you wrote is exactly what I'm looking for!  I totally forgot about necessity of the tracking station, I guess that could be another rock, lol!  Thanks for additional support version.  I think I finally have a mod idea that I'm willing to do!  I think I'm going to try my hand at making a mod that takes KSC 'out of the loop' by transforming them into something else so you get that experience of vast emptiness.

pyiXW3d.png

tZaMxph.png

Planet f is done. It's got grass on its "sunset" band, and a little island of inhospitably further noonwards.

2 people like this

http://imgur.com/a/4loFK

ztGzJlC.png

Zg6RrHk.png

Planet G, finished. Download at GitHub. Link in OP.

2 people like this

This mod doesn't get enough attention. :(

1 person likes this

39 minutes ago, electricpants said:

This mod doesn't get enough attention. :(

I'm patiently waiting until official release.

1 hour ago, GDJ said:

I'm patiently waiting until official release.

It is currently stable, so go ahead and give it a go.

1 minute ago, GregroxMun said:

It is currently stable, so go ahead and give it a go.

I may. Is Slippist in orbit of Kerbol or does it take Kerbol's place?

Just now, GDJ said:

I may. Is Slippist in orbit of Kerbol or does it take Kerbol's place?

It replaces Kerbol.

Just now, electricpants said:

It replaces Kerbol.

I see. Darn. I was hoping it would orbit Kerbol at, say, 4 ly.

Just now, GDJ said:

I see. Darn. I was hoping it would orbit Kerbol at, say, 4 ly.

He posted earlier that he would eventually add a version that makes SLIPPIST-1 orbit Kerbol.

Just now, electricpants said:

He posted earlier that he would eventually add a version that makes SLIPPIST-1 orbit Kerbol.

Then I'll wait patiently.

On 3/8/2017 at 11:51 PM, GDJ said:

Then I'll wait patiently.

As I am not a patient person, I made a set of configs that change the system to another star rather than replacing Kerbol. Copy these into your GameData and you should get the SLIPPIST system around 4 light years from Kerbol.

Do note that this is unofficial and once 0.3 comes out with @GregroxMun's location options, you should use those.

Just signing in to voice my support in this forum as well. Many of the challenges of KSP won't exist in this system, but it'll be a hell of a thing to see.

Posted (edited)

I did a livestream this evening in this system, here's the full stream, and here's an excerpt, and here's a pic.

2ozPEKU.png

Edited by GregroxMun

Hey man! great work!! Any chance to get a scatter and EVE compatibility?

Posted (edited)

Chance? Sure. Actually doing it is a different beast.

Edited by GregroxMun

Anything recent with this mod? (Yes, I know it's been a month, but this is the BEST. MOD. EVER. :))

Something soonish perhaps, yes. SLIPPIST-1 is now an awful lot of meters away. It's placed at a playable "interstellar" distance. (Same scale as the stars in Sigma88's Galactic Neighborhood) But you can also play in the system (which is actually the default setting.) Planets are also now named by the NATO phonetic alphabet (Slippist, Beta, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel)

I still don't have a proper terrain for SLIPPIST-1e, it's still the placeholder planet with a finite solar day. I have a basic map for it, but development of its terrain is slow because I have to keep rotating the texture in a convoluted way.