[WIP] GoingUnderground - Subterranean Habitats Mod

steedcrugeon

58 minutes ago, Warsoul said:

Great Job ! How it dig in into ground ?

It doesn't actually dig into the ground. The entire part and its colliders stay on the surface but the IVA extends down underneath (IVA's have 0 physics colliders).

Edited by TheRagingIrishman
spelling

5 minutes ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

It doesn't actually dig into the ground. The entire part and its colliders stay on the surface but the IVA extends down underneath (IVA's have 0 physics colliders).

Which is a point I plan to test thoroughly soon, I'm doing some layer 16  /Layer 20 colliders for testing purposes. I wonder how much they might upset things.

Just now, Benjamin Kerman said:

so how will you handle things like base extensions? i think I saw something earlier up about doing it from in the IVA, but I didn't really understand it. 

By manipulating (basically its a sort of cheat) how 'IVA offset' works when building in unity, this part below has a single core part (the central round part) and 4 expansion modules. The expansion modules are small node attache external parts with disproportionately large IVAs. The rationale behind this is that the same apparatus that was used to make the core part was then reused to make the expansion modules, hence they should not be used independent of a 'core' part.

mJgawNa.png

I'm down to help you on modeling few base mesh without textures and UV if you want cooperate with MaErDa Corp. But i will need yours sources models for references.

Let me know if you are open to this.

4 minutes ago, Warsoul said:

I'm down to help you on modeling few base mesh without textures and UV if you want cooperate with MaErDa Corp. But i will need yours sources models for references.

Let me know if you are open to this.

Appreciate the offer but the modelling is the most fun part for me (I do this because I really enjoy the mod making). I really enjoy making parts, its my down time after work, thanks all the same though.

On 5/3/2017 at 3:29 AM, steedcrugeon said:

You may note the use of 'RegoSeal' a new resource that will be introduced with this Mod unless the presence of MKS or Pathfinder is detected, in which case RegoSeal with be replaced with MaterialKits, a more common resource used by KSP off world building (the Qty will also be changed to balance).

RegoSeal is used by the part to create (when mixed with regolith procured, sifted and processed in the drilling process) a very tough and airtight skin, or pressure vessel if you will, in which Kerbals can reside comfortably.

MaterialKits are a CRP resource. So rather than detect the presence of other MaterialKits-using mods, you could bundle CRP as a dependency and just use MaterialKits (or any of the other CRP resources). Saves you the trouble of introducing a new resource and then maintaining two different configurations for the same thing.

6 minutes ago, PocketBrotector said:

MaterialKits are a CRP resource. So rather than detect the presence of other MaterialKits-using mods, you could bundle CRP as a dependency and just use MaterialKits (or any of the other CRP resources). Saves you the trouble of introducing a new resource and then maintaining two different configurations for the same thing.

I wish to use the minimal dependencies as possible. If players use any mods with use CRP (which is pretty much all the bigger offworld mods) then the 'RegoSeal' resource won't be implemented. I'll change the focus of the MM patch to detect CRP. 

However, the dependencies may be changing for this mod to something more bespoke.

• 1 month later...

Background things have been going on, development of this has NOT been abandoned but I have spent my time recently focusing on bringing other mods up to 1.3 (the localization stuff was a bit more work than originally anticipated but these things happen).

Whilst I have no new pictures to share as of yet I have fleshed out the family of parts and the progression through the tech tree both Stock and CTT. Concept designs have been completed for about 80% of the parts with detailed sketches for about 50% so it's coming along. Balancing in terms of cost etc. is still to be done across all parts, hopefully this will be resolved or at least started in Beta.

Plugin stuff is back up in the air again, as workload for all parties concerned is unpredictable. It is probable that initial release (certainly the Beta) will use USI tools for functionality, that is unless I can learn to write plugins :confused: oh and code too :D.

I think a lot of us are looking forward to this one, glad to see it still lives.

Whatever you think is best to do is the right answer for now. You're making a shiney toy for yourself first, and you're awesome for sharing it with us.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

@steedcrugeon I know you haven’t been here in a couple months, and the mod is quite old, but is there any news about this? It looks fantastic and I’d love to give it a try, or maybe continue development if you could send me the files.

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

• 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.