Height, malnutrition and post-communistic countries

Wjolcz

Fun (not) fact: In some countries or cities homeowners were taxed by number of windows. So more unscrupulous landlords walled up all or almost all windows in their houses, creating literally man - made caves. And dreadful living conditions for tenants of course. Cue widespread tuberculosis, arthritis and rickets in poorer classes. Man, and people today are complaining when their neighbours play music too loud.

52 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Man, and people today are complaining when their neighbours play music too loud.

I currently live in an 80 unit townhouse complex, and some neighbors complain that the kids are playing too loud. Granted, the kids don't need to be screaming all day long, and/but the playground here was meant for preschoolers instead of the rapidly-growing 6-16yo population here, and/but the old guard here isn't interested in investing in play areas,  and/but the only way out (even on foot)  of the complex is out to the major traffic artery in this area, etc....

And yeah, the kids are getting bigger for their age. Except mine, who has my tiny genetics...

2 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

They were limited with area and storey count, not door height.

This was also common on farm houses in remote ares.
Some reasons is, people was smaller, having low ceiling make it easier to heat, small doors reduce heat loss. an smaller door is easier to make. 
If you build the house with logs you need at least one lot below and above the door. 
In an dangerous area an small door is an nice ambush point  

• 5 months later...

North Koreans are smaller than South Koreans due to collapse of Soviet Union thus trade with it that is misleadingly labeled as "aid" despite fact material trade was being done to fullfil each others need, it wasnt anywhere close as Cuba to be considered aid. Collapse of SU which NK heavily depended on lead to famine due to necesary materials for fertilizers couldt be aquired for food production.

Also we should not forget that USSR and other "communist" countries were under western embargo.

Let me drop in some Russian Imperial soldiers into this Polish-dominated thread! Data from this paper gets thrown around quite a lot.

slide-6-638.jpg?1353056860

I’ve seen further reasearch based on Soviet anthropometric records that paints a similar picture.

My post-communistic malnutrition is somewhat strange, mostly results into D/H ratio growth.

(Not already horisontally challenged, but could easily withstand a 1.3 g planet if drop some fat.)

(Upd. Or spend 1-2 weeks more in a capsule without external food supplies.)

Edited by kerbiloid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.