Xeldrak

What did you do in KSP today?

34841 posts in this topic

MAV and Copernicus MTV:

MKIbTye.jpg

3VLcP4Q.png

13 people like this

Posted (edited)

Continuing to cash in on the wave of lucrative tourism contracts (Ed: I set them to 300% usual value in the face of a 15% funding game setting, so they're now the bread and butter of my space program), mission control responds to a request to visit Gael's nearest and least intimidating moon.

ix7dBKY.jpg

Carrying three tourists and a scientist, Drake I is an SSTO with ambition - to be the best. The very best. Like no one ever was. To tour them is it's only... no, wait. 

Honestly, Drake I is... functional at best. Yes, it's the same mass and engine count as the Wyvern class SSTOs launched a few months earlier, but somehow it manages to be much harder to fly. The nerva has to be briefly ignited at a mere 10km altitude just to get this reluctant spaceplane to go transonic, and the entire ascent leaves it with surprisingly little in the tanks. Fortunately, Piggu to the rescue! A quick kiss on the cheek, and Drake has 3.2km/s range - plenty to get to Iota. Whatever held it back in-atmosphere isn't going to be relevant for the rest of the trip, so mission control gives it a green light to continue.

bDH0fML.jpg

Admittedly the landing procedure isn't exactly tidy, what with lacking any kind of ventral thrusters, but the low gravity basically means Drake can come down on its tail and pivot over onto its wheels without issue.

Takeoff is only slightly more challenging, requiring a couple of reaction wheels to tilt the vessel onto it's rear tyres before kicking the main engine. Indeed, so easy is Iota to fly over that one might almost thing there's an atmosphere here to help out.

i4hkquM.jpg

The poor handling during ascent translates into a remarkably good descent. The unexpected drag does wonders for slowing Drake down as the runway approaches, and touchdown is achieved without so much as spilling the passengers' chocolate milkshakes.

Post mission investigation reveals that the MK2 cargo bay is not properly shielding the MK1 and MK0 fuel tanks within, causing an excessive drag to build up and causing the observed difficulty in passing mach 1. A refreshed design is quickly tabled, doing away with the cargo bay and slightly extending the outboard nacelles in order to make up for the lost fuel capacity. It also gets rid of some of the excess of wheels. The design team still has no idea how those ended up on the production model.

Early tests of Drake II are promising, with no requirement to involve the nerva at low altitudes, and about 5% more range than the original. Image below is taken at 700m/s at 10km. Tiny drag indicators are highly auspicious!

bwMEiHn.jpg

The press office responds by sending out flyers to every rich idiot they can possibly find in the hopes of drumming up business. A kerbal has to eat, after all.

Edited by eddiew
9 people like this

I've finally joined the reusable rocket bandwagon! Well, sort of. Pawn is a semi-reusable design capable of putting 5 tons in Low Earth Orbit, and landing the first stage engines and the upper stage back on Earth. However the first stage tanks are discarded. Hey, it's what ULA plan to do on the Vulcan!

Packs 10 km/s, the first stage calculated for sea level and the rest for vacuum. That's 5600 m/s in the lower and 4400 in the upper. The upper stage delta-V is deliberately chosen - as an alternative to returning, it can be refuelled in LEO and is then capable of taking the payload to low lunar orbit, elliptical Venus orbit, or Mars intercept.

About 560 tons on the pad, which is a pretty lousy payload fraction compared to what I can do with disposable asparagus and nuclear upper. She lifts off nicely on the dual Mammoth engine. Quite an aggressive pitchover, to 80 degrees at 100 m/s, is required for a good ascent.

Let's get on the reusable lifter bandwagon!

Drop tanks are essential to get the delta-V, I'm using stock Kerbal parts and the tanks have so much dry mass.

Clean drop tank sep

As we deplete the fuel the TWR really spikes, over 10 I believe at MECO.

Approaching burnout and that TWR really spikes

The dual-Nerv upper stage has pretty low TWR, 0.5 when full, and won't make orbit before I land the first stage, so I do some corrective steering to give me extra 'hang time' because I'll need to interrupt the burn.

Corrective steering to maintain time to apo

The engines separated from the first stage core and now come in to land helped by airbrakes and parachutes.

A look at the internals

I always miss the interesting bits, but it did safely slpashdown: https://flic.kr/p/SGbew1

I switch back to the upper stage and with some more serious angled burning get into orbit with a generous fuel margin. But I shan't be staying long.

Upper stage and payload delivered to orbit!

From a 330x70 km orbit, we come in fast and hot. But those made-of-iron Kerbals parts are tough enough to take it.

Upper stage coming in hot

We can't have the airbrakes open all the way or they'd cook, but once we're slower than about 3500 m/s they're deployed and really dump the remaining speed fast.

Hit the anchors! Once those airbrakes deploy they really slow it down.

And another safe splashdown!

Upper stage safely splashed down!

6 people like this

I realize this maybe hard to see. But, did finaly try some of the Mk3 plane parts it flew alright and was able to land it safely too. To bad its cargo was still a bit to wide to drive out from it:

F98B3ADFDDB9373BB00CD43A5A275A51A37C5054

1 person likes this

Launched 1,345.4 tonnes of flaming awesomeness! It barely fits in the VAB.

eEOtiZM.png

Heading to the moon. Lander, Command Pod, and all the necessary bits to make it work.

5 people like this

2 hours ago, cantab said:

I've finally joined the reusable rocket bandwagon! Well, sort of. Pawn is a semi-reusable design capable of putting 5 tons in Low Earth Orbit, and landing the first stage engines and the upper stage back on Earth. However the first stage tanks are discarded. Hey, it's what ULA plan to do on the Vulcan!

Packs 10 km/s, the first stage calculated for sea level and the rest for vacuum. That's 5600 m/s in the lower and 4400 in the upper. The upper stage delta-V is deliberately chosen - as an alternative to returning, it can be refuelled in LEO and is then capable of taking the payload to low lunar orbit, elliptical Venus orbit, or Mars intercept.

About 560 tons on the pad, which is a pretty lousy payload fraction compared to what I can do with disposable asparagus and nuclear upper. She lifts off nicely on the dual Mammoth engine. Quite an aggressive pitchover, to 80 degrees at 100 m/s, is required for a good ascent.

Let's get on the reusable lifter bandwagon!

Drop tanks are essential to get the delta-V, I'm using stock Kerbal parts and the tanks have so much dry mass.

Clean drop tank sep

As we deplete the fuel the TWR really spikes, over 10 I believe at MECO.

Approaching burnout and that TWR really spikes

The dual-Nerv upper stage has pretty low TWR, 0.5 when full, and won't make orbit before I land the first stage, so I do some corrective steering to give me extra 'hang time' because I'll need to interrupt the burn.

Corrective steering to maintain time to apo

The engines separated from the first stage core and now come in to land helped by airbrakes and parachutes.

A look at the internals

I always miss the interesting bits, but it did safely slpashdown: https://flic.kr/p/SGbew1

I switch back to the upper stage and with some more serious angled burning get into orbit with a generous fuel margin. But I shan't be staying long.

Upper stage and payload delivered to orbit!

From a 330x70 km orbit, we come in fast and hot. But those made-of-iron Kerbals parts are tough enough to take it.

Upper stage coming in hot

We can't have the airbrakes open all the way or they'd cook, but once we're slower than about 3500 m/s they're deployed and really dump the remaining speed fast.

Hit the anchors! Once those airbrakes deploy they really slow it down.

And another safe splashdown!

Upper stage safely splashed down!

*slow clapping*

1 person likes this

I began working on what I think to be the penultimate variable geometry/swing-wing/variable incidence jet in the U.S. arsenal, the XB-70.

Iten5Zx.gif

Visuals are seriously lacking, but she performs. 20km service ceiling, 950m/s maximum speed, plus the wings are really smooth up and down. Pretty good for an afternoon's work.

This thing is so draggy that it takes six whiplashes to push this thing to Mach 3, and even then it can't go supersonic at sea level. Good thing the service ceiling is so high, or it would never be able to accelerate.

dO7k5G2.png

6 people like this

Had some interesting happenings in my KSP!

1, A stable orbit around Eeloo!

And an eeloo landing!

4NNg44J.png

(solar panel is just for test)

5ZREmSa.png

2.I Will restart building my Munar base! I already have my ginormous base on Mun, but i want to expand it!

qd14kYl.png

(photo from Lunar-3 low orbit relay)

8 people like this

'Twas the week of an update, 

And all through the drive,

back ups were been copied

to keep Jeb alive!

(Not downing 1.3, I'm just comfortable with my 1.2.2 save!)

1 person likes this

On 12. 3. 2017 at 4:29 PM, Bornholio said:

the ship part count started to be a bit high for my computer, 480 parts.

Hi, have you tried the UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued mod? That could help you with your problem i think.

Posted (edited)

Ij84Qo3.png

Setting up an orbital base in Moho

Edited by Fury1SOG
14 people like this

(1.1.3) Had an hour to play yesterday, so I set myself to work on the three new contracts I'd picked up the day before. I began by setting KAC expiration alarms for the two crappy contracts I decided not to take on and then went to look at what would be required for the first of the contracts, to put the Kerbinport 7 Probe probe into a new orbit:

BBvecen.png
The Kerbinport 7 Probe probe (properly named Faux News 1), constructed in space by engineer Juluna Kerman at the Kerbinport space station from a KAS/KIS kit.

I determined a single burn would be required, so I set it up. The probe will make the burn in a few hours, and at that time it will be renamed to its proper designation of Faux News 1.

Moving on to the next item of business, I went to the Kerbinport space station next to get things ready to try to rescue scientist Leema Kerman from LKO. Fuel was shifted around; there was sufficient fuel to refill Strange Cargo docked at the station and to give the engineering craft Mission Bloat 7 a full tank of gas. Since Mission Bloat is a single Kerbal craft designed with an RGU installed so that engineers could go where they're needed, I figured it could be used as a rescue ship. Mission Bloat was dispatched from Kerbinport:

GIqtbZE.png
Mission Bloat 7 departing the Kerbinport space station. Docked at the station are The Great Artiste (zenith left), Next Objective (zenith fore), Strange Cargo (zenith right, barely), Nostromo (amidships left) and Faux News 7 (amidships right).

It was going to be a little while before Mission Bloat could make its first rendezvous burn, so I went ahead and began preparations for the third and final contract, which was to establish a new outpost on Minmus with the usual outpost accouterments, two scientists and a capacity of nine Kerbals. I started with the old Bates Motel 7 design and came to the determination that it would work as is if I added habitable space four for more Kerbals. A Mk1 cockpit was added to each of the craft's four outrigger fuel tanks, fitting the bill and only raising the mass of the craft by a little over three tonnes. Since the original Bates Motel design had plenty of delta-V and excess thrust to begin with, no further design tweaks were required - the Bates Motel 7a craft dubbed Hojo Eta was placed out on the pad to verify that it met the required mission specs, with scientists Isavie and Danwig aboard. Launch was delayed long enough for Mission Bloat to make burn to rendezvous with Leema's debris:

M1SQ86m.png
Hojo Eta launch from KSC.

The craft reached LKO successfully and the initial transfer burn for Minmus was conducted, with the course correction burn at the craft's descending node set up. Mission Bloat made its rendezvous with Leema's debris and she successfully transferred to the ersatz rescue ship, and plans have been made to return her to Kerbinport. Planned activities for the next session include returning Leema to Kerbinport, conducting the burns for the Kerbinport 7 Probe probe and Hojo Eta, and the launch of an Auk II passenger craft to Kerbinport with seven KSC staffmembers aboard, with a mission to conduct flag-planting activities on Mün and Minmus. Strange Cargo will be the ferry ship for that mission.

First of the Duna correction burns is coming up quick at this point as well.

8 people like this

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, winged said:

MAV and Copernicus MTV:

3VLcP4Q.png

Which mod part pack?

5 hours ago, Salvator said:

Hi, have you tried the UbioZur Welding Ltd. Continued mod? That could help you with your problem i think.

Yes, I should weld the eye-candy together but other things have to be left alone because of function.  It would also be easier if more parts had tweakscale enabled.  My lithium tanks are one of the offenders.

Edited by Bornholio
composite
1 person likes this

Not much is currently happening at KSC the past while, at least in terms of missions needing attention.  There are actually plenty of missions underway but they are all on holding patterns.  For instance, we have 4 ships transitting to Duna and are now about 100 days away from arrival.  Two other ships are also in flight towards their destinations but won't arrive for even longer.  We recently just accepted a contract to haul a class A asteroid into Kerbin orbit, which fits nicely along with two other contracts for class D rocks.  But our F.O.O.D. department has yet to spot suitably sized candidates so yet again we wait.  Therefore, almost out of boredom, the department heads accepted a trivial mission to rescue a rival company's engineer who they left hopelessly stranded in LKO.

This opportunity was taken to design a ship around a new concept, which we are calling SIOP - Stay In One Piece.  We wanted to try to build a ship that is all one stage, won't shed any parts or drop engines or some such nonsense.  The only exception to this concept is fairing covers but those come cheap and manage to evaporate into thin space, so we don't care about those.  And we succeeded!

Before launching this new ship we first picked up our new recruit in Flubber, our LKO picker-upper ship designed for exactly this purpose that has been loitering for over 300 days now, occasionally picking up and transferring astronauts from one place to another.  Then we launched our newest creation.  It features 4 Reliant engines surrounding a large fuel core, a command module seating 2 even though it can also be remote controlled, a junior docking port, 8 parachutes and a big ole inflattable heat shield for re-entry.  The pictures below describe its ascent, gaining orbit, docking with Flubber, and coming back dow to splash down to the west of our complex here.  It's not yet perfect, there are some refinements we will do on future versions to maximise fuel usage and perhaps have enough left over to do a powered landing on solid ground, but we pulled this mission of successfully, proving the SIOP concept and saving some funds in the process!

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.00. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.04. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.21. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.22. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.26. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.30. 

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-13%20at%2010.34. 

5 people like this

2 hours ago, Bornholio said:

Yes, I should weld the eye-candy together but other things have to be left alone because of function.

Well it still should help at least a little bit :)

1 person likes this

Nope, I don't know how it got like that either...

sHjuCOJ.jpg

e9uiaUJ.jpg

5 people like this

I started my first mining operation.XfKLRh4.png

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Under the heading of "You got to be freakin' kidding me", it's gone. It's all gone. Yesterday, I sent Jeb up in Unnamed craft to 120k. Val followed at 80k in Unnamed craft. So maybe I should have named them Jeb1 and Val1 but I didn't. I was determined to learn to rendezvous. Using Precise Nodes I locked in a maneuver node that brought the two ships within 1k of each other. Good start. Then I had company and had to quit. Today I fired up KSP and immediately ran into problems. Everything was in super slooooow moootiooonn. Eventually the game crashed. Restarted. Crashed again. Restart and had warnings that various ships couldn't load because some parts were missing. What? There was no abort load option. only an ok button.  Game loads and everything, ship, lander, rover, and flag,  I had ever placed in the game is gone. GONE! 

I notice there are backup persistence files - even a couple from yesterday. I now have to figure out how to restore one of them. 

Edited by Red Shirt

Posted (edited)

I Built an Indiana-Class battleship and I am still planning it as my main class of battleship and making the USS Evansville the flagship.

UtjF2L-LVvKryS28tYm_1iXKpJ_6GT9XSc6FI9-xhMiVjghjaVkcbpv7y_qAEtjwtsE03hje_b0hEtXwMelbgJb_F_dt4c9gnCWqeIqvfweG4GbCB8IUgkdWQLHoipzLRa4m87H8

Edited by Sgt Doomball

Got a hard and a good day...

1. Visited Veluchinks Peak ( that is how i call a sharp mountain, a part of the mountaint chain near the KSC)

Kv7prYp.png

2. Tested new suborbital spaceplane- not good enough for now, needs improvement.

5ghTgOX.png

3/4 Flights of two rockets that will start the new age in private spaceflight

"Argon" and "Blue ghost"

2EJW67Q.pnglUeClvI.png

Carried two capsules- Mk-1EUNLS (engine upgrade + new landing system) and Mk-1-New dawn modification.

wIarjSj.pngUEulr4C.png

That is it for today!

3 people like this

18 minutes ago, Sgt Doomball said:

I Built an Indiana-Class battleship and I am still planning it as my main class of battleship and making the USS Evansville the flagship.

[Edited by adsii1970 - removed the image]

You wouldn't happen to live in Evansville, Indiana, would you? If so... hi neighbor!

What I did in KSP today/yesterday:

I began working on the images for the next installment of Kerny's journal. The light cruiser, URKN Sinaan, arrives at dawn for a much needed port call in its maiden voyage around Kerbin.

RU6rIZR.jpg

An early morning air patrol conducted around the KSC easement area reports nothing suspicious or out of the ordinary while on the first leg of its patrol.

WBUQm0c.jpg

4 people like this

44 minutes ago, Red Shirt said:

<snip />

I notice there are backup persistence files - even a couple from yesterday. I now have to figure out how to restore one of them. 

It's already a .SFS file, so you should just be able to pick one and rename it "persistent", assuming you're running the game in Windows. Might want to make a backup copy of the...backup copy, I guess, just in case it turns out I'm a raging idiot who likes to watch it all burn...

11 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

You wouldn't happen to live in Evansville, Indiana, would you? If so... hi neighbor!

Newburgh, Indiana

Posted (edited)

I built and launched a little ion tug so to move my Hubble telescope up to a higher orbit. All went well until I undocked the tug. I'd left SAS on course hold, and while undocking the telescope, also on course hold, it swung around smashing into the tug and obliterating its solar panels (it also took out two of the tug's four panels).

Doh.

I ended up deorbiting the whole mess.

I still have a Duna encounter coming up; I've been patiently waiting on a ship on its way out there. Let's see what kind of trouble I can get into with that.

Edited by LordFerret
3 people like this

3 hours ago, Salvator said:

Well it still should help at least a little bit :)

Advice taken, need to be careful what gets welded or access is lost to functions (two cargo bays lose open/close of one of the doors), but darn that worked great for lag killing.  Broke it up into functional blocks and part count down to about 30.  I'll probably end up with closer to 70 to maintain functions.  one part did disappear ( a nuclear power plant)

1 person likes this