[0.25] 6S Service Compartment Tubes - "Design smooth!"

nothke

Hmm... Would it be possible to make kerbal-sized door versions? I could see that being particularly useful sometimes

Then you better look for cargo bays. B9 aerospace pack has lots of them. This is just meant to hide all the stuff you can put on the outside, and the hatch is just a service hatch, a cupboard basically, to check whats going on inside or leave some cookies.

Then you better look for cargo bays. B9 aerospace pack has lots of them. This is just meant to hide all the stuff you can put on the outside, and the hatch is just a service hatch, a cupboard basically, to check whats going on inside or leave some cookies.

I use B9 and the cargo bays are usually fantastic.

Sometimes, though, you just want a closet to shove a kerbal in. These are perfect size for a protected command seat on small rockets, which can be particularly useful for places where every itty bit of mass counts. Storing cargo in them, though... Not really practical, honestly.

had to remember my password and log in to tell you:

"this is the best freaking idea ever! Thank you for these, now my rocket doesn't have 90 different gadgets hanging off the side and i don't have to turn on part clipping to cheat stuff inside the structure!"

[*]Also I am planning to make them possible to shield parts inside from aerodynamics in FAR, but I don't know how to do that yet. (awaiting message from Ferram)

I'm not Ferram, but I ran into the same issue with Novapunch fairings. IIRC, you need to have the words payload fairing in the title line for the part.

Looks GREAT... Have needed this for long time. Many thanks.. Downloading and running now...

Cheers, DrTedAstro.....

Edit: Wow, looks great. In the future you might want to think about getting with NathenKell of StretchyTanks / SRB and those guys for ability to add multiple user select-able textures.

This is an awesome idea and mod. You did great....

Edited by drtedastro
More Info.

I'm not Ferram, but I ran into the same issue with Novapunch fairings. IIRC, you need to have the words payload fairing in the title line for the part.

If the title contains the word bay or hold, and also bomb or cargo, it is a cargo bay (shields when doors are closed). Otherwise, if the title contains any of fairing, payload or shroud, it is a fairing (shields until decoupled).

So you could rename the parts "Service Compartment Shroud Tube", and it should work as a fairing automatically.

Edited by a.g.

I love this mod, but a suggestion, perhaps including a version with a proper bottom, so we can jettison whatever is below it, and not lose everything inside it. I use deadly reentry, and mounted one of these on a heat shield, to use as a science return pod, but when I decoupled the heat shield, all my science parts went with it. :( If I use other parts to mount under it, it starts to get heavier than I'd like.

I love this mod, but a suggestion, perhaps including a version with a proper bottom, so we can jettison whatever is below it, and not lose everything inside it. I use deadly reentry, and mounted one of these on a heat shield, to use as a science return pod, but when I decoupled the heat shield, all my science parts went with it. :( If I use other parts to mount under it, it starts to get heavier than I'd like.

Just attach stuff to the "ceiling" (upper part) instead of the heatshield. What I usually do, as you can see in the screenshots is that I get detach the rocket below the compartment, flip my rocket upside down and attach the parts from above.

Just attach stuff to the "ceiling" (upper part) instead of the heatshield. What I usually do, as you can see in the screenshots is that I get detach the rocket below the compartment, flip my rocket upside down and attach the parts from above.

Er.. Never thought of that... :blush:

If the title contains the word bay or hold, and also bomb or cargo, it is a cargo bay (shields when doors are closed). Otherwise, if the title contains any of fairing, payload or shroud, it is a fairing (shields until decoupled).

So you could rename the parts "Service Compartment Shroud Tube", and it should work as a fairing automatically.

OK, so... it seems that fairings aren't working to shield the parts inside. I've tried "Fairing," "Payload," and "Shroud" in the title and they bring up the "Parts shielded" on right click but it is 0, and any items inside aren't shielded.

If I rename it as a "Cargo Bay" it works to shield it. Perhaps nothke could get Ferram to include "Utility Bay" for cargo bay shielding properties?

Anyway, these versions shield stuff that's inside them. Only things changed are the titles - I added "(Cargo bay)" to the end - and the descriptions - I added "(Not actually a cargo bay)" to the end. I only included the .cfg files - so just replace the ones from the first page's download.

EDIT: Derp, forgot the link:

http://www.matchfiregames.net/andon/ksp/SerCom_cb_cfg.zip

Edited by Andon

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.