[0.25] 6S Service Compartment Tubes - "Design smooth!"

nothke

This looks awesome! The only thing that I would love to see is a rescaled version for the 3.75m size. Any chance of that?

I'm at work and haven't tested this, but paste this into a different part .cfg, or at the end of one of the existing ones, and you should have a 3.75m version... unless I've missed something.

PART
{

// --- general parameters ---
name = SerCom3
module = Part
author = Nothke

// --- asset parameters ---
scale = 1.0

MODEL
{
model = NothkeSerCom/Parts/SerCom2mt3
scale = 1.2, 1.2, 1.2
}

// --- node definitions ---
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.2805, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.2805, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
//node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, -.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 1

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = generalConstruction
entryCost = 2500
cost = 100
category = Structural
subcategory = 0
title = 6S 3m Service Compartment Tube
manufacturer = Found lying by the side of the road
description = Hide the stuff you would normally attach to the hull inside here for a nice smooth aerodynamic look. Beware of stowaways!

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,1,1

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.15
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.2
minimum_drag = 0.3
angularDrag = 2
crashTolerance = 20
breakingForce = 75
breakingTorque = 75
maxTemp = 1500
fuelCrossFeed = True

MODULE
{
name = FSanimateGeneric
animationName = DoorAnim
startEventGUIName = Open service hatch
endEventGUIName = Close service hatch
//toggleActionName = Toggle service hatch
availableInEVA = True
availableInVessel = False
EVArange = 2
}

}

A suggest that occured to me looking at the second to last screenshot, 'if I didn't tell you, you'd never notice'.

How about a service compartment alternative for the Rockomax Brand Adapter (the Large to Small cone adapter).

In my past sandbox I had two early workhorse craft, a Soyuz style crew ship for delivery 3 kerbals to LKO and a 2nd Progress style craft, which was essentally my Soyuz but with extra space for fuel instead of a decoupler and an adapter in place of the command pod. I always wanted that adapter piece to actually store things, like supplies for my crew so that it would match the Progress model.

I have to say kudos on the model and texture work. I went ahead and made some double-tall rings by scaling the height up. I was worried the texture would look bad... but it doesn't even look stretched. Fantastic work.

Anyway, these versions shield stuff that's inside them. Only things changed are the titles - I added "(Cargo bay)" to the end - and the descriptions - I added "(Not actually a cargo bay)" to the end. I only included the .cfg files - so just replace the ones from the first page's download.

You can just add "(not cargo bay)" to the title - FAR doesn't actually read and understand the text, you know :wink:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Such a simple thing (conceptually) but so great. I always hated how I had to plaster all of my science instruments and batteries to the side of a rocket! It looked awful and ruined the immersion for me.

Now on spaceport: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/6s-service-compartment-tubes/

EDIT: Edited OP with the link

I just noticed this one. Although I am focusing more on simplicity and modularity - one-for-all kind of style. If someone needs walls inside the compartment you can put a stock metal sheet yourself.

Quick suggestion/request, how bout also reworking these into 1/2/3 meter adapter cones??

Not for now, I think KW rocketry has some hollow conical parts if you need to put things like monopropellant or batteries.

OK, so... it seems that fairings aren't working to shield the parts inside. I've tried "Fairing," "Payload," and "Shroud" in the title and they bring up the "Parts shielded" on right click but it is 0, and any items inside aren't shielded.

If I rename it as a "Cargo Bay" it works to shield it. Perhaps nothke could get Ferram to include "Utility Bay" for cargo bay shielding properties?

Anyway, these versions shield stuff that's inside them. Only things changed are the titles - I added "(Cargo bay)" to the end - and the descriptions - I added "(Not actually a cargo bay)" to the end. I only included the .cfg files - so just replace the ones from the first page's download.

EDIT: Derp, forgot the link:

http://www.matchfiregames.net/andon/ksp/SerCom_cb_cfg.zip

Thanks for the info, funny part description =). I will put this in for the next version. But it's just strange that you need to put the special words in the name to make it work.

Edited by nothke

I added "cargo bay" to the titles in the cfg files, and it works for the 2m version but not for the 1m version. It might be because the model is different but I don't know.

The only differences between the two .cfg: the name (SerCom1m vs SerCom2), the model (SerCom1m vs SerCom2mt3), the "node_stack_top" and "node_stack_bottom" (1m ends in 1, 2m ends in 2), the title (6S 1m vs 6S 2m), the mass (0.07 vs 0.1) and the animation (DoorAnim2 vs DoorAnim).

so, something I found here that may be considered a "bug" by the creator (but others may take advantage of) is that, in the Action Groups, you can assign the doors to a group - and it functions as a toggle open/close, even without anyone remotely near it.

I strongly suggest some kind of "rimless" stackable cargo bay part (i.e. remove the frame around the door, and you'd have a great cargo bay). Also, some kind of open-folding nosecone would be nice, as a more debris-friendly alternative to traditional fairings.

Edited by zxczxczbfg

Nothke has explicitly said that these are not intended to be cargo bays and isn't going to make them as such. It wouldn't be a bad mod, though. B9 is a HUGE amount of parts for just cargo bays, and some of the other ones aren't very nice looking.

What I would like to see is a 2m to 1m adapter that's the same style and also hollow. Adapters are a "waste" of space since they don't do anything BUT change sizes - if we could shove stuff inside them, it would be fantastic.

so, something I found here that may be considered a "bug" by the creator (but others may take advantage of) is that, in the Action Groups, you can assign the doors to a group - and it functions as a toggle open/close, even without anyone remotely near it.

Yes I knew about this "cheat" long before, snjo fixed the problem in Firespitter plugin by creating an action group that does nothing (it is impossible to make it dissapear) to address the problem, but the fix will only be available in the next FS update after 0.23 comes out. I did not specifically mention the bug cause I didn't want people to overuse it =P

Nothke has explicitly said that these are not intended to be cargo bays and isn't going to make them as such. It wouldn't be a bad mod, though. B9 is a HUGE amount of parts for just cargo bays, and some of the other ones aren't very nice looking.

What I would like to see is a 2m to 1m adapter that's the same style and also hollow. Adapters are a "waste" of space since they don't do anything BUT change sizes - if we could shove stuff inside them, it would be fantastic.

I also said that more cargo bays will come with FLEXracks so I will see. I agree adapters are a "waste" and I wish the stock ones were already hollow.

I just made part.cfg for the Rockomax 2,5 - 1,25 adapters for them to have fuel, 400 for the big one and 100 for the flat one. The tests seem promising. If anyone is interested, I might copy & paste it over here (or elsewhere, don't mean to spam Nothke's topic).

I don't suppose there is a way for non-radial parts to be used inside the compartment? My issue is that I want to put a probe core inside the compartment (with a Fuel Tank as the root part), but it uses the spare attach node so the compartment can't be capped. Is there a way around this that I can't find, or could this be a future feature?

Love the part regardless. =)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.