[OLD]Tundra Exploration

tygoo7

Thanks guys for the kind words! I got a few minutes of free time tonight. I'll have more free time to work on this more tomorrow. Should it be 3.75 or 2.5? I was originally planning 7 Kerbals but I could do like 4 or 5 and have it 2.5m.

I was originally planning oval windows but I couldn't get them to look right using squad textures. It's a bit too late to change since the windows are embedded into the model. I may consider that in the future but I'm not just doing the Dragon V2 for this mod. I'm also planning a launcher for it, rovers, and other stuff. :)

How about a Dragon V1? It obviously wouldn't need an internal, so it'd be significantly less work than the V2. Just a suggestion, you seem to have a good deal of stuff on your plate right now.

I think that your dragon shodul be 3,75m. It follows ingame progression, 1 kerbal capsule - 1,25m 3 kerbal capsule - 2,5 m, so 7 kerbal capsule - 3,75 m.

And dragon capsule from other mod as well as taurus 7 kerbal capsule are 3,75 m so im pretty used to this size when it comes to bigger pods :)

I think that your dragon shodul be 3,75m. It follows ingame progression, 1 kerbal capsule - 1,25m 3 kerbal capsule - 2,5 m, so 7 kerbal capsule - 3,75 m.

And dragon capsule from other mod as well as taurus 7 kerbal capsule are 3,75 m so im pretty used to this size when it comes to bigger pods :)

There are already two high-capacity 3.75m vehicles. There are no high-capacity 2.5m vehicles. Also, assuming that the MK 1-2 is an Apollo analogue, the Dragon V2 should be 2.5m to be realistic. But mainly because it would fill a niche that has not been filled before.

There are already two high-capacity 3.75m vehicles. There are no high-capacity 2.5m vehicles. Also, assuming that the MK 1-2 is an Apollo analogue, the Dragon V2 should be 2.5m to be realistic. But mainly because it would fill a niche that has not been filled before.

I'm in line with this reasoning as well. Just needs to be further in the research tree than the MK 1-2.

1920px-Size_comparison_of_Apollo%2C_Orion_and_Dragon_spacecraft.svg.png

I love the design of this pod, it's so slick. Stock-like but still realistic; you've done an amazing job so far. Question though, do you plan to implement the Draco engines? If you do, will they be integrated or separate parts? If not, there are a few radial engines that might work, but none that will really look right with the pod. I hope you are at least considering adding the engines, in one form or another.

As for the size, 2.5m is perfect. 3.75 is far too big for a versatile, everyday-use pod like the Dragon.

The pod will be 2.5m with 4 or 5 kerbals. I chose 2.5m because it would be easier and fit in more. Also that picture above seems to say it will be 2.5m. And yes it will be in a further tech node than the Mk 1-2.

I love the design of this pod, it's so slick. Stock-like but still realistic; you've done an amazing job so far. Question though, do you plan to implement the Draco engines? If you do, will they be integrated or separate parts? If not, there are a few radial engines that might work, but none that will really look right with the pod. I hope you are at least considering adding the engines, in one form or another.

As for the size, 2.5m is perfect. 3.75 is far too big for a versatile, everyday-use pod like the Dragon.

Do you mean the SuperDraco engines or the RCS thrusters? I already have the SuperDraco engines on the side of the pod which will work as normal engines already. I don't think it's possible for them to be separate parts since they look really derpy behind the pod (clipping).

Got it in-game. I need to re-do the animations because the shroud opens with the landing gear, polish some textures, get the trunk in the game, and do some config stuff and it will be ready for an alpha release. :)

XUTbE7n.jpg

4QWCfHQ.jpg

Engine thrust is just a placeholder, it will be more tilted later like the actual Dragon V2.

Just great! But I think you should add engine smoke to the SuprrDracos, I would like this more than no smoke. :)

One problem: landing will be much harder (and only solid fuels cause a significant amount of smoke IRL). But primarily, it'd just make landings hard. Maybe a compromise could be made, with just a little steam being ejected?

This is on the right track I think. I'm glad to see the hatch in the middle. I think this will be my first choice for 2.5m pods when it's out. Keep going. I'm interested to see what you do with the textures.

Thanks! Yeah I'm going to probably redo some of the textures on the pod itself(it will look almost the same) since it looks a bit unfinished. :)

Just great! But I think you should add engine smoke to the SuprrDracos, I would like this more than no smoke. :)

Thanks and like I said the engines are just placeholders. I'll make them look better once I fix some textures and animations.

• 2 weeks later...
This is looking great tygoo. Any news?

Also, are there plans for a built-in emergency chute?

Thanks. I've been really busy with school and playing 0.25 so this might be put on hold until I get more free time. I'll consider a chute if I can figure out how to make them. :)

Could you give a pre-release download, I can do rigorous "crash-testing" on it.

Well, right now it's really buggy actually. I just covered up the bugs in the screenshots. I could make some time for it next weekend. :)

Any news? I'd love to hear how it's going!

Well so far it looks like I need to work on some Unity stuff and work on the animations. I still have to look at some tutorials for KSP modding in Unity. It is really buggy in-game and acts like an anchor or something in flight because it likes to sink through everything, even the water. I'll look at it more in Unity tomorrow and see what I can do to solve this stuff. Here's an album showing some of the bugs.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Just add a line in the description about how an intern managed to bolt on a phase changer to the pod and if any landing of any kind is attempted, warranty is void. Nobody will question it.

No but in all seriousness I hope you get it working, beautiful pod!

Hi tygoo, have you considered making the heatshield and/or the nosecone separate parts to circumvent the animation issues?

Otherwise, any updates?

Hmm, haven't thought of that. I may try that out. Today I will probably be able to slip in about 30min or an hour to work on this mod. :)

Hmm, haven't thought of that. I may try that out. Today I will probably be able to slip in about 30min or an hour to work on this mod. :)

Thanks for the update! I hope you can get everything straightened out!

• 1 month later...