[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

1 hour ago, younitty said:

I do not understand why this mod is still made available considering the fact that it cannot transmit any science in career mode.

The bug was reported and there is apparently a fix for it... I just downloaded the latest version on Github and it is still not working !

What am i doing wrong ?

Thanks for the mod and support work nevertheless !

In Stock KSP, there are two user interfaces for how you transmit science data:

(1) Rightclick an antenna and use the antenna's menu to transmit all pending science from the vessel from this one one button click.

(2) Rightclick a stored experiment part (i.e experiment module that took it, or the capsule if a kerbal has moved the data into the capsule), and pick "Review Data".  Then from the "Review Data" popup, click the blue antenna button to transmit just that ONE experiment only.

Technique (1) is broken in RemoteTech, for some reason that was explained to me once but I don't remember it now.

But technique (2) still works, and you can go through all the experiments and transmit them one by one.

2 hours ago, jacksa2 said:

I am sure this is a extremely easy situation to solve, but I am having a hellofa time getting satellites connected to each other.  Have 2 in geo sync orbits at 600KM, both with long range dishes and also omni directional connectors.  Have both satellites pointed at each other with dishes focused on opposite.  Still no connection between the two, only connection to closest red dot on kerbin.  What is the issue?

Perhaps a screenshot of your map view screen, and EXACTLY which dish & omni you are using would help... :)

12 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

In Stock KSP, there are two user interfaces for how you transmit science data:

(1) Rightclick an antenna and use the antenna's menu to transmit all pending science from the vessel from this one one button click.

(2) Rightclick a stored experiment part (i.e experiment module that took it, or the capsule if a kerbal has moved the data into the capsule), and pick "Review Data".  Then from the "Review Data" popup, click the blue antenna button to transmit just that ONE experiment only.

Technique (1) is broken in RemoteTech, for some reason that was explained to me once but I don't remember it now.

But technique (2) still works, and you can go through all the experiments and transmit them one by one.

Technique 2 doesn't work either... It is the one i always use.

Technique 1 doesn't even propose the contextual menu you're talking about. I noticed when i first installed RemoteTech2 that this contextual menu is no longer available for any antennas. To send science, one must right click on the experiment device or on the Processing Lab and transmit the data or science.  The issue i am talking about here is specifically related to sending processing lab's science results. (What researching produces after a while.)  This doesn't work.

13 hours ago, younitty said:

Then the answer to the question why the mod is marked as still working despite this feature not working is that it IS working for other people.  There is some other reason it's not working on your install and I have no idea what that is.  For me, Technique 2 is working just fine.

No flare - official DLL is indeed broken in 1.0.5 for science lab and orbital survey transmission functionality, with the symptom being the message texts showing on the upper left corner but nothing happens eventually. Most people find my hack fixes the problem, but since I don't have enough time to support it, it is basically what it is. And also it has a known caveat that there might be something unexpected when you save during transmitting science, remove my hacked RT, then load the save. I consider this rare case so didn't bother taking care of it.

I'm not sure why my network isn't working here.  Any ideas?

My orbiter at Minmus has line of sight to the polar relay, and all the relays beyond chain through to the mountains west of KSC.

If I switch to the northern relay station just east of the EVA (8 links north from KSC) that gets a green connection link to KSC, but the data doesn't seem to flow any further today, despite the link lines all touching.

KSP_whyNoComms.png

Edit:

Oh!  Does a relay need to have an active control component?  The plane has comms equipment, but no probe core.

Edited by suicidejunkie
Possible reason

On 2/9/2016 at 7:39 PM, younitty said:

Technique 1 doesn't even propose the contextual menu you're talking about. I noticed when i first installed RemoteTech2 that this contextual menu is no longer available for any antennas. To send science, one must right click on the experiment device or on the Processing Lab and transmit the data or science.  The issue i am talking about here is specifically related to sending processing lab's science results. (What researching produces after a while.)  This doesn't work.

Do you have Science Alert?  If so, did you install the patch for it?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/69538-104-sciencealert-189-experiment-availability-feedback-july-13/&page=30#comment-2277677

I'm getting these errors when I perform an orbital survey scan with the M700 Survey Scanner. I initially reported this to the SCANSat dev but he pointed out it may possibly be a RemoteTech issue so I'm posting it here for your analysis. This is what happens when I start the scan:

7VPreuI.png

Then I get this when the scan is finished and nothing happens, no ore data or anything, the resource scan just doesn't work.

FSy7jJ0.png?1

Hi

I've got a probe on it's way out to Duna.  I had it's dish pointed at Kerbin because I didn't realise how narrow the beam is.  So I lost connection.

I used another mod to point the dish at my geosynchronous commsat and both probes agree they are in range, have LOS, and the commsat at Kerbin is connected to the network.

When I switch to the Duna probe, it says "no connection" and cannot be controlled.  It has an orange line connecting it to the other commsat.

Please help - here's my log if it helps.

Edit - My initial commsat network had their dishes all set to "active vessel" which works for all my operations in the Kerbin system.  I just switched one to focus on the long-range commsat, and connection has been restored.  For now anyway.  The network needs to be upgraded.  I see why Squad has chosen not to need a satellite network in stock - it is really fiddly and time-consuming.

Edited by Matt77

22 hours ago, FlareFluffeon said:

I'm getting these errors when I perform an orbital survey scan with the M700 Survey Scanner. I initially reported this to the SCANSat dev but he pointed out it may possibly be a RemoteTech issue so I'm posting it here for your analysis. This is what happens when I start the scan:

7VPreuI.png

Then I get this when the scan is finished and nothing happens, no ore data or anything, the resource scan just doesn't work.

FSy7jJ0.png?1

Scroll up a bit. Check what FancyMouse said and test his fix. 

You can imagine how old this gets when there are multiple bug reports at github and the same gets asked a few times on each page for the past 4 months or so. The other issue with Science Alert at the same time did cause some confusion.

17 hours ago, Matt77 said:

Hi

I've got a probe on it's way out to Duna.  I had it's dish pointed at Kerbin because I didn't realise how narrow the beam is.  So I lost connection.

I used another mod to point the dish at my geosynchronous commsat and both probes agree they are in range, have LOS, and the commsat at Kerbin is connected to the network.

When I switch to the Duna probe, it says "no connection" and cannot be controlled.  It has an orange line connecting it to the other commsat.

Please help - here's my log if it helps.

Edit - My initial commsat network had their dishes all set to "active vessel" which works for all my operations in the Kerbin system.  I just switched one to focus on the long-range commsat, and connection has been restored.  For now anyway.  The network needs to be upgraded.  I see why Squad has chosen not to need a satellite network in stock - it is really fiddly and time-consuming.

"Active Vessel" -target has been confusing a lot of people. I avoid using it myself.

Every network should be built always pointing satellites at each other from both ways (usually I do this by having proper cones pointed at planets and moons).

8 hours ago, Varsi said:

"Active Vessel" -target has been confusing a lot of people. I avoid using it myself.

Every network should be built always pointing satellites at each other from both ways (usually I do this by having proper cones pointed at planets and moons).

Yes, I'm going to stop using "Active Vessel", and manually target dishes in future.  It sounds counter-intuitive, but I think it'll make life easier.

I'm having some issues with RO/RSS+Remote Tech and sending probes to the outer planets.  I've got a pair of probes I've sent to Uranus and Neptune, respectively.  Both probes are setup identically using the RN_US_Probes pack, Voyager 1/2 probe as the base.  That probe has a 10Tm (1E+13) dish antenna which is on and pointed at Earth.  And the generator on the probe is keeping it's ElectricCharge topped off so there is plenty of power.

Back at Earth, the default Deep Space network sites have a 100Tm (1E+14) range.  Plus I have four satellites in geostationary orbit each equipped with a 40Tm (4E+13) dish antenna (set to target "Active Vessel").

At the present time, the Earth is more or less between the sun and both probes.  The probe that's going to Neptune is 3.25Tm from the Sun while the probe going to Uranus is 2.73Tm.  So as far as I can tell, the antennas should be in range to communicate and I can't seen any problems with LOS.  But in both cases I've got a "No Connection" notice so I can't issue commands or make course corrections or anything.  Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? 

7 hours ago, chrisl said:

I'm having some issues with RO/RSS+Remote Tech and sending probes to the outer planets.  I've got a pair of probes I've sent to Uranus and Neptune, respectively.  Both probes are setup identically using the RN_US_Probes pack, Voyager 1/2 probe as the base.  That probe has a 10Tm (1E+13) dish antenna which is on and pointed at Earth.  And the generator on the probe is keeping it's ElectricCharge topped off so there is plenty of power.

Back at Earth, the default Deep Space network sites have a 100Tm (1E+14) range.  Plus I have four satellites in geostationary orbit each equipped with a 40Tm (4E+13) dish antenna (set to target "Active Vessel").

At the present time, the Earth is more or less between the sun and both probes.  The probe that's going to Neptune is 3.25Tm from the Sun while the probe going to Uranus is 2.73Tm.  So as far as I can tell, the antennas should be in range to communicate and I can't seen any problems with LOS.  But in both cases I've got a "No Connection" notice so I can't issue commands or make course corrections or anything.  Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? 

I don't know whether my own problem is related or not, but...

I have RemoteTech and RealismOverhaul/RSS installed. The available antennae are showing Stock ranges.

For example, the KR-7 shows a range value of 75 Mm (I take it that means 75 million meters, so 75.000 km), whereas the description mentions 90Gm, which I take for 90.000.000 km.

Another example: the Pioneer 10/11 Class Antenna - its displayed range value is 20 Gm (20.000.000 km), while the descriptions mentions an 'effective' range of 1500 Gm (1.500.000.000 km).

I can change the RangeMultiplier in the "RemoteTech_Settings.cfg", but as you can see, the ratio between displayed and real range differs (1/1200 for the KR-7, 1/75 for the Pioneer).

The RealismOverhaul folder contains a file labeled "RO_RemoteTech.cfg", which seems to have the correct values, however they are not being applied.

Does anyone know a way to force KSP to use the RO config file? Obviously I could try to uninstall and reinstall Realism Overhaul, but that will probably result in the invalidation of my Career savegame :(

Thanks in advance !

4 hours ago, sackfalte said:

I have RemoteTech and RealismOverhaul/RSS installed. The available antennae are showing Stock ranges.

For example, the KR-7 shows a range value of 75 Mm (I take it that means 75 million meters, so 75.000 km), whereas the description mentions 90Gm, which I take for 90.000.000 km.

Another example: the Pioneer 10/11 Class Antenna - its displayed range value is 20 Gm (20.000.000 km), while the descriptions mentions an 'effective' range of 1500 Gm (1.500.000.000 km).

I can change the RangeMultiplier in the "RemoteTech_Settings.cfg", but as you can see, the ratio between displayed and real range differs (1/1200 for the KR-7, 1/75 for the Pioneer).

The RealismOverhaul folder contains a file labeled "RO_RemoteTech.cfg", which seems to have the correct values, however they are not being applied.

Does anyone know a way to force KSP to use the RO config file? Obviously I could try to uninstall and reinstall Realism Overhaul, but that will probably result in the invalidation of my Career savegame :(

Thanks in advance !

I could be wrong but I think modulemanager reads configs in alphabetical order. So if the RealismOverhaul folder is read before RemoteTech then the values from RemoteTech configs would overwrite those of RO.

Maybe you could try creating some zzz folder in gamedata and copy the RO_RemoteTech.cfg there. See if that would help?

5 hours ago, sackfalte said:

Thanks in advance !

Please see the RP-0 FAQ

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/FAQ

The stated range in the description is correct. It's the range you get talking to Earth's DSN. The range shown in the tooltip is the "base" range if you will, it doesn't take the other node into account.

6 hours ago, Varsi said:

I could be wrong but I think modulemanager reads configs in alphabetical order. So if the RealismOverhaul folder is read before RemoteTech then the values from RemoteTech configs would overwrite those of RO.

Maybe you could try creating some zzz folder in gamedata and copy the RO_RemoteTech.cfg there. See if that would help?

Thanks, I will try and do that! I should be so lucky that it's only a matter of ModuleManager going alphabetical...

Nope, that does not change anything, unfortunately. The only thing that has any effect on antenna-range is changing the RemoteTech config file directly :(

6 hours ago, NathanKell said:

Please see the RP-0 FAQ

https://github.com/KSP-RO/RP-0/wiki/FAQ

The stated range in the description is correct. It's the range you get talking to Earth's DSN. The range shown in the tooltip is the "base" range if you will, it doesn't take the other node into account.

Nah, I don't think so. The antennae I am using are already set to 'Additive' (or Root), and they do not work beyond Kerbal-scale, while I am using RSS.

If your assumption were correct, I would not be able to send anything unmanned to anything further than the Moon until I have unlocked 95% of all science. That cannot be right, can it?

Edited by sackfalte

Hi

I'm  experiencing an issue where the orescanner module (stock) is throwing an error in the VAB from the construction helper, saying "data transmitter required" even when I have antennae on my craft.    In game, when I try to use it (with a connection back to KSC of course) it transmits data but then does not complete the experiment, gives no ore data (overlay in the map etc) and no science.  I have managed to get around this by using scansat and disabling the stock ore scanning, but I wondered if this was a known issue with remotetech or if I cam doing something wrong.

1 hour ago, Iasus said:

Hi

I'm  experiencing an issue where the orescanner module (stock) is throwing an error in the VAB from the construction helper, saying "data transmitter required" even when I have antennae on my craft.    In game, when I try to use it (with a connection back to KSC of course) it transmits data but then does not complete the experiment, gives no ore data (overlay in the map etc) and no science.  I have managed to get around this by using scansat and disabling the stock ore scanning, but I wondered if this was a known issue with remotetech or if I cam doing something wrong.

Try the modified dll by FancyMouse he mentioned earlier post on this page (and has been mentioned on every page for the past for months). Hopefully it works for you.

//Edit

Seems the link to the file in the old post doesn't quite show correctly but try to manage :)

Edited by Varsi

14 minutes ago, Varsi said:

Try the modified dll by FancyMouse he mentioned earlier post on this page (and has been mentioned on every page for the past for months). Hopefully it works for you.

//Edit

Seems the link to the file in the old post doesn't quite show correctly but try to manage :)

Problem solved, thanks mate :)

Ias

5 hours ago, sackfalte said:

Thanks, I will try and do that! I should be so lucky that it's only a matter of ModuleManager going alphabetical...

Nope, that does not change anything, unfortunately. The only thing that has any effect on antenna-range is changing the RemoteTech config file directly :(

Nah, I don't think so. The antennae I am using are already set to 'Additive' (or Root), and they do not work beyond Kerbal-scale, while I am using RSS.

If your assumption were correct, I would not be able to send anything unmanned to anything further than the Moon until I have unlocked 95% of all science. That cannot be right, can it?

In RSS, there are three Deep Space Network (DSN) facilities each with a 100Tm range.

Using the equation from the FAQ that Nathan pointed you to [ (the smaller range) + SQRT(range1 * range2) ] and your KR-7 example you get the following:

(75Mm, 100Tm) + SQRT(75Mm * 100Tm) = 86,677,540,378.4m or 86.7Gm which I'm guessing is rounded up to 90Gm in the description.

Looking at the Pioneer 10/11 example you get:

(20Gm, 100Tm) + SQRT(20Gm*100Tm) = 1,434,213,562,373.1m or 1,434.2Gm which I'm guessing is rounded up to 1500Gm in the description.

The ranges displayed in the description are basically correct when the antenna is able to link back to Earth's DSN.

@sackfalte if you do not have lots of multicolored dots over Earth in map view (the various groundstations) then you have an install issue. If you do, then the FAQ should be correct. You can test it in sandbox by sending an octo2 (Early Controllable Core) with a single Comm16 to the moon. Extend the antenna once you leave the atmosphere, and if you still have contact near the moon, everything is working as designed.

9 minutes ago, chrisl said:

In RSS, there are three Deep Space Network (DSN) facilities each with a 100Tm range.

Using the equation from the FAQ that Nathan pointed you to [ (the smaller range) + SQRT(range1 * range2) ] and your KR-7 example you get the following:

(75Mm, 100Tm) + SQRT(75Mm * 100Tm) = 86,677,540,378.4m or 86.7Gm which I'm guessing is rounded up to 90Gm in the description.

Looking at the Pioneer 10/11 example you get:

(20Gm, 100Tm) + SQRT(20Gm*100Tm) = 1,434,213,562,373.1m or 1,434.2Gm which I'm guessing is rounded up to 1500Gm in the description.

The ranges displayed in the description are basically correct when the antenna is able to link back to Earth's DSN.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

2 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@sackfalte if you do not have lots of multicolored dots over Earth in map view (the various groundstations) then you have an install issue. If you do, then the FAQ should be correct. You can test it in sandbox by sending an octo2 (Early Controllable Core) with a single Comm16 to the moon. Extend the antenna once you leave the atmosphere, and if you still have contact near the moon, everything is working as designed.

I do have the multicolored dots. What bugs me is that I am trying to complete one of the RemoteTech Contract-Pack's contracts, namely to point a dish at one of the inner planets (Mercury, Venus or Mars), and even the Pioneer 10/11 cannot reach any of the planets.

I will try your suggestion right now. Here goes nothing...

@sackfalte RP-0 is meant to be played only with the mods it supports. In particular it does *not* support any contract packs, so it's no surprise the contracts are not correct for it. ;)

(All comms devices in RO/RP-0 are designed to mimic real-world use, where the probe has a comparatively small antenna/dish and relies upon massive ground stations for communications with home. There are a few larger-than-real-life dish parts, but they're few and far between, and not costed for RP-0 IIRC)