[1.1] RemoteTech v1.6.10 [2016-04-12]

Peppie23

1 minute ago, NathanKell said:

@sackfalte that sounds like an install issue then. :( Might some other mod besides RSS/RO be modifying your Remote Tech settings? Can you post a complete modlist and your GameData/ModuleManager.ConfigCache file? (you will need to zip it first). Your log would also help.

right now, I am busy downloading all the mods I want to use manually. I plan to put those files into CKAN's cache folder (with proper renaming, so CKAN knows what's up), to have CKAN do a fully automated install.

I also suspect that my current installation is in some way flawed, and if this Tabula-Rasa-approach for an alternative KSP installation won't do the trick, then I will provide the information you are requesting. thanks so far :)

3 hours ago, AdamMil said:

A while back I made a fancy calculator for designing networks of equatorial omni satellites. It's perhaps not all that useful in general, but it does its one job pretty well, I think.

Thanx for that... :)

Any chance to add a feature to allow for custom antennas/ranges, sometime in the future?... I use modified Blackleg Ind. antennas... I use pretty much ONLY omnis in Kerbin SOI... The only dish I ever use in KerbinSOI, is to connect two polar sats in Kerbin orbit, to a single polar sat in Minmus orbit... EVERYTHING else is all omnis... Makes using RT MUCH simpler... :)

51 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

Any chance to add a feature to allow for custom antennas/ranges, sometime in the future?

It's already in there. :-)  Just type whatever antenna range you want in the box and click "Compute Altitudes". You can also have custom planets by typing their radii and gravitational parameters (e.g. for RSS), although for very large planets you probably want a spherical network rather than a circular (equatorial) network...

Edited by AdamMil

29 minutes ago, AdamMil said:

It's already in there. :-)  Just type whatever antenna range you want in the box and click "Compute Altitudes". You can also have custom planets by typing their radii and gravitational parameters (e.g. for RSS), although for very large planets you probably want a spherical network rather than a circular (equatorial) network...

Ahhh.. OK... Thanx :D

Please forgive me if this is answered somewhere in the 82 pages above but I can't look though all of those posts.

According to the devnotes, KSP 1.1 will incorporate some of the aspects of RemoteTech, but I'm unclear which ones, or if parts and /or the flight computer from RT are being rolled into the update.  Does any know any more about this?  Thanks.

@Peppie23 would it be possible to make the "RemoteTechSettings" node editable with Module Manager?

I'd like to add compatibility for RemoteTech to my rescale mod, but right now the only way I have is to edit the ranges values inside the "PART" nodes.

having the possibility to change the RangeMultiplier would simplify things greatly

EDIT:

just to be clear, I have already tried to change it using modulemanager, the value was changed (confirmed in modulemanager cache) but the values found ingame were the standard ones.

The only way to change the behaviour in game was to change manually the settings file. or to change the range on the PART nodes

Edited by Sigma88

Just came across a strange situation.  I was using Hyperedit to test a craft, and found that hyperediting a simple craft from the launchpad to an orbit would make it lose the antennas.  If I uninstall RT (was using the Comm 16), hyperedit worked properly.

The message in Flight Results is "Communotron 16 was ripped off by strong airflow"

I'm contacting the hyperedit author as well.  This only happens when RT is installed

Also, it only happens when the antenna is extended

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Just came across a strange situation.  I was using Hyperedit to test a craft, and found that hyperediting a simple craft from the launchpad to an orbit would make it lose the antennas.  If I uninstall RT (was using the Comm 16), hyperedit worked properly.

The message in Flight Results is "Communotron 16 was ripped off by strong airflow"

I'm contacting the hyperedit author as well.  This only happens when RT is installed

Also, it only happens when the antenna is extended

In RT antennas like the communotron and the non rigid dishes are not suitable for atmospheric flight. When you hyperedit to kerbin orbit from kerbin land it's like flying instantly through the whole atmosphere and so the antenna breaks. You can easily avoid this "bug" by hyperediting in orbit around the mun instead than kerbin. (From mun orbit you can then hyperedit to kerbin orbit safely)

This trick worked a while ago, idk if it still does

26 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

In RT antennas like the communotron and the non rigid dishes are not suitable for atmospheric flight. When you hyperedit to kerbin orbit from kerbin land it's like flying instantly through the whole atmosphere and so the antenna breaks. You can easily avoid this "bug" by hyperediting in orbit around the mun instead than kerbin. (From mun orbit you can then hyperedit to kerbin orbit safely)

This trick worked a while ago, idk if it still does

So the real answer is to not launch a ship with the antenna deployed.  How can I check (in code) to prevent that form happening?

58 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

So the real answer is to not launch a ship with the antenna deployed.  How can I check (in code) to prevent that form happening?

So you want to remove this feature completely?

There is  module inside the part that is responsible for this feature, I can't remember which one right now.

I don't know if there is an option in the settings as well

Just now, Sigma88 said:

So you want to remove this feature completely?

There is  module inside the part that is responsible for this feature, I can't remember which one right now.

I don't know if there is an option in the settings as well

No, I just want to be able to either retract the antennas on the launchpad, or to set all the antennas on the vessel to start retracted

54 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No, I just want to be able to either retract the antennas on the launchpad, or to set all the antennas on the vessel to start retracted

Antennas are retracted by default. At least they were last time I checked

I know nothing, so pardon me if I'm way off on this...

So it sounds like you would want to look at the active vessel in the persistent file, rather than messing with the PART files at all (OTHER than to maybe determine if they will break if deployed in atmo), to determine what antennas it has that are PRESENTLY deployed, and then deactivate (close) them before allowing a Hyperedit move.... I created a test craft, with a few antennas, launched it to the pad, and looked at the persistent file... Looks like there are ALL kinds of lines in there that could be checked to determine current antenna status, and also to toggle them...

Also, just a thought, but should you also consider the state of things like the M700 Survey Scanner?... I know you said this is an RT thing... I was just thinking if ANY part that will break when extended/deployed in atmo will need to be looked at, besides RT antennas... For instance AEIS has lots of deployable antennas, also... ???

Edited by Stone Blue

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

I know nothing, so pardon me if I'm way off on this...

So it sounds like you would want to look at the active vessel in the persistent file, rather than messing with the PART files at all (OTHER than to maybe determine if they will break if deployed in atmo), to determine what antennas it has that are PRESENTLY deployed, and then deactivate (close) them before allowing a Hyperedit move.... I created a test craft, with a few antennas, launched it to the pad, and looked at the persistent file... Looks like there are ALL kinds of lines in there that could be checked to determine current antenna status, and also to toggle them...

Also, just a thought, but should you also consider the state of things like the M700 Survey Scanner?... I know you said this is an RT thing... I was just thinking if ANY part that will break when extended/deployed in atmo will need to be looked at, besides RT antennas... For instance AEIS has lots of deployable antennas, also... ???

I tested with the M700, no problem, even with RT installed.  I also tested with Antenna Range, no problem with that either.  It seems to be specific to RT

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I tested with the M700, no problem, even with RT installed.  I also tested with Antenna Range, no problem with that either.  It seems to be specific to RT

Now that seems odd, and definately puts an odd twist on the situation...lol

Hello, I just wanted to ask some question about the available antennas an dishes in RT.

I'm trying to build a simple mission to Dres with the smallest satellite I can build (in order to avoid having to make a giant rocket to get it into lower kerbin orbit) and when I had to choose an antenna for the craft, my satellite was suddenly being very heavy, because the needed Reflectron KR-14 weighs a ton.

After a delay of reflection, I decided to do some check with European Space Agency's Rosetta satellite who had to go roughly at one billion kilometers (it crossed Jupiter's orbit). I crunched a bit at the numbers and  figured that it was weighing 3 tons, including 1.7 tons of propellant, and about 300 kilograms of payload (science and lander), leaving one ton for the solar arrays (64 square meters, that should weight a bit), the propellants tanks, the frame itself, and many more things that surely don't weigh that much and lastly, a 2.2m dish.

So, if I had to do some guessings, I'd say that dish would not weigh more than 300kg (and maybe only 200kg)

The Reflectron KR-14 is not a real life dish, I get it, but I really think it's way heavier than it should be. because of this overweight, we ought to put heavier engines on our probes and embark a lot more of propellant. However, I know that modders don't do anything on a whim and I guess you had reasons for making these dishes so heavy, maybe you could share it with us (sorry if you already done it before and I missed it).

I really like this mod because it gives KSP more realism and makes us remember that putting something in space is not a magical thing, but needs some work and preparation, even when it's a game. But this issue, added to some other issues (the M700 survey scanner does not work with RT, and when a probe is away from kerbin with SAS enabled, it wobbles, making it almost impossible to control it but with the built-in flight computer), are beginning to make me ponders if that mod is mature enough to be used daily in KSP. Note that I'm not ranting blindly, and should need help to address these issues, I'd be very glad to (i'm a .NET software developer with 8 years of experience).

For the conclusion of this big chunk of text, I'd like to thank you for the job you did on RT, because although it has some points that could be improved, it is really a nice mod to play with.

Edited by Baleine

On 2/28/2016 at 4:29 AM, NathanKell said:

Because you couldn't extend it again once you got there?

You can use the same procedure that you'd normally use for communication blackouts - the Flight Computer.

On the ground, start with antenna retracted.

Set RT delay to 15 seconds.  Click "extend antenna" (which starts the 15-second countdown).

HyperEdit to the stars.  Sit around for a few seconds till the 15 seconds run out, then antenna extends.

But yeah, it would be nice for RT to leave it up to the stock aerodynamic system (or FAR) to break the antennas instead of RT having its own system.  Then we could leave antennas extended inside fairings.