The Elite: Dangerous thread

gmpd2000

It is definitely a game where I am glad that I have my Saitek X52 HOTAS (and definitely a game where generelly spoken, HOTAS systems with lots of buttons/hats/switches can be recommended)

As one would expect from reality :D

As they model the game after reality, I guess you might get a little bit disappointed by asteroid belts ...

after all they (at least the one we can observe) have such a low asteroid density, that (aside from local clusterings) you won´t fnd more than a single asteroid for every couple of kilometers.

But have you been to planetary ring systems in game?

They make a good substiture for asteroid belts ;)

But I guess life will get much more interesting with Beta 2 (which miht om eout before the 30th anniversary of Elite, on September 20th) ... according to the newsletters we will get the first approach at the exploration system (with you hevng to visit and scan the planets/major bodies in a syste in order to explorer it (and gain money from it) and with the risk of drawing in unwanted attention.

It will also have outposts (as kinda small space stations

Nobody confirmed we get exploration. The newsletter was talking about exploration only to fill up space, as frontier does not feel like posting a lot of WIP content.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not what you had in mind, but the exploration mechanics coming in beta 2 are all about research and very pure research at that. Finding and mapping previously unknown systems, seeking out new life and new civilisations - all that good stuff.

Elite has never been about crafting and base building though. Personally, I would be all over it in single player - the best bits from the X series combined with proper solar systems and flight model - yeah count me in for some of that. I'm less convinced about it in multiplayer for the same reasons that I've never really been tempted to try Eve.

are they gonna reset everyone for beta 2? I assumed they where but actually I don't recall them saying anything.

Guess we don´t know ... I didn´t read any official from FD concerning a Reset. Nevertheless I assume that our data will be reset ... just to not be disappointed if it is the case.

I've been reset once or twice, but I wasn't so bothered because I was just in a Sidewinder back then. My Viper, though...

Ah well, if we're reset, I'll just have to get another one! :P

Not that I've been able to play without freezing on supercruise/hyperjump in 1.06... *mutters*

another neat feature I discovered in ED for all of us that's wants realistic environment in their space games - the farther the planet is from the star, the darker it appears. This is Styx 4 in Styx system. Lovely cold gas giant with quite a few asteroids around it. :)

CF44PcB.jpg

another neat feature I discovered in ED for all of us that's wants realistic environment in their space games - the farther the planet is from the star, the darker it appears. This is Styx 4 in Styx system. Lovely cold gas giant with quite a few asteroids around it. :)

-snip-

I've only ever passed through Styx once or twice on the way to Opala, but from what I've seen here, I'm going to have to nose round this place.

Also, this video. Do want Beta 2:

It looks like they've improved the starfield quite a bit, the HUD's changed, and of course, we have an outpost and the Ocellus starport. Amongst all the other additions and improvements, this is shaping up to be an awesome update :D

Also, I finally got a Cobra in the sale they've got on at the moment. Aw yiss.

Ahh man, looks like I need to explore systems more to see these cool planets! Hopefully the remote outposts will promote this rather than all activity centralising on the star port.

Anyone else been joining in on the Eranin conflict?

Thought I'd try my hand at combat (insert shameless promotion:

), turns out i'm not that good but it was pretty dam fun!

Ahh man, looks like I need to explore systems more to see these cool planets! Hopefully the remote outposts will promote this rather than all activity centralising on the star port.

Anyone else been joining in on the Eranin conflict?

Thought I'd try my hand at combat (insert shameless promotion:

), turns out i'm not that good but it was pretty dam fun!

I haven't been fighting much but you can make some sweet profits trading there these days. High demand for lots of stuff.

Looking forward to tomorrow! First order of business is to scrape together enough cash for a hyperdrive upgrade on my Cobra and then it's time to explore some of those 450 new systems. Next up - trading my way up to an Asp and heading off to the frontier to see what I can find - assuming there's anything left to find by the time I get there. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.