[1.0.4] Oblivion Aerospace Pack: Now supports stock heating! (v0.1.5, 2015-06-24)

LostOblivion

A small parts package of heat shields that also works with the Deadly Reentry (DR) plugin by Starwaster! :)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Features:

• Currently features the Conical Heat Shield inspired by the sphere-cone heat shield on the Mars Science Laboratory.
    • Comes in three sizes: 1.25m, 2.5m, and 3.75m.
    • Works great with Ferram Aerospace Research (FAR) by ferram4, in that sphere-cone shaped heat shields offer greater control (by lift) over blunt ones.
    • Comes with an auto-shroud adapter that meets flush with the shield. It works just like the stock heat shields. Just add something to the heat shield's bottom node (like a decoupler) and the shroud/adapter will appear!
    • Supports the Deadly Reentry plugin by Starwaster, based on the works by NathanKell, ialdabaoth (who is awesome), and r4m0n.
    • Unlike the heat shields in DR, the Conical Heat Shield does not have an omni-decoupler. Instead, it has a single decoupler on the top attachment point (yellow/black ring), allowing for more custom designs.

Known issues:

• Stock KSP has an issue with rescaleFactor on root parts. Since this mod uses rescaleFactor, you should avoid using these shields as the root part on your vessel.

Future:

• More heat shields based on real-life ones, like a Galileo-style reflective heat shield.
  • I've been playing with the idea of a giant heat shield with a "hatch" at the center, allowing for engines to fire through it once the hatch is open, allowing for a more realistic spaceship design with g-forces pointing the same direction during both burns and aerobraking (like the one in BBC's documentary Space Odyssey: Voyage to the Planets).
  • I have plans on making all heat shields tweakable in size, like the brilliant Procedural Fairings mod by e-dog.
  • Future plans for this mod.

Thanks to...

• ialdabaoth and r4m0n, for creating the excellent Deadly Reentry mod, and to NathanKell and Starwaster for extending upon and maintaining it. Reentry would be boring without it!
  • ferram4, for creating Ferram Aerospace Research, which really makes the KSP experience for me!
  • Squad, for making such a great game! (And now finally stock heating!)
  • Hattivat, for testing.

License is CC BY-SA (click icon above or see included file for details).

Installation

Install by merging the `GameData` folder in the zip with the `GameData` folder in your KSP install.

• I highly recommend Deadly Reentry for more realistic re-entry and heating.
  • I also recommend trying out Rareden's really good-looking heat shields parts mod in his thread over here. :)

Changelog

v0.1.5

• Maintenance release to support KSP 1.0.4.
  • Tweaked heat shield configurations to reflect changes in stock heat model.

v0.1.4

• Maintenance release to have the heat shields support stock heating. Does not support DRE until Starwaster releases a version compatible with KSP 1.0 in a few days.
  • Not backwards compatible with previous versions of this mod (if you really, really need this, send me a message on the forums and I'll help you fix your save so it magically works with the new version :)).
  • Command Pod Heat Shield still in the works, but textures are WIP, so I moved it to v0.2.0 (alpha for it shortly).
  • Oh, and the mod is using ModuleManager now. :)

v0.1.3

• Corrected the bottom node size of all three heat shields and tweaked some reentry parameters. Many thanks to Hattivat for testing and pointing this out. :)

v0.1.2

• Added an auto-shroud to the Conical Heat Shield. It works like an engine shroud. Just add something to the heat shield's bottom node (like a decoupler) and the shroud/adapter will appear! :)

v0.1.1

• Added the Duna Exploration Rover example craft using the Conical Heat Shield for reentry. (You'll need the Procedural Fairings mod by e-dog.)

v0.1.0 Initial release.

• Added the Conical Heat Shield.

Edited by LostOblivion

Hm, I like this, but how would it work, if I was sending a probe to Duna, and wanted to land it, would it drop away with the bottom of the shield? or stick to the top part? or is the top part only with the fairings mod?

Hm, I like this, but how would it work, if I was sending a probe to Duna, and wanted to land it, would it drop away with the bottom of the shield? or stick to the top part? or is the top part only with the fairings mod?

The aeroshell (top part) is the Procedural Fairings mod by e-dog. This mod is only the heat shield part. I should parhaps change the front page image. :)

The aeroshell (top part) is the Procedural Fairings mod by e-dog. This mod is only the heat shield part. I should parhaps change the front page image. :)

I just wasn't sure, I couldn't tell if there was a top part, and you were using the procedural fairings, or if there was only the fairings. But... how do you make it cone like that? without a fairing base on the top... why does it not cover the parachute?

I just wasn't sure, I couldn't tell if there was a top part, and you were using the procedural fairings, or if there was only the fairings. But... how do you make it cone like that? without a fairing base on the top... why does it not cover the parachute?

It's an interstage fairing adapter up-side-down fitted between the fuel tank and parachute with a base diameter of 0.625m and top diameter of 2.5m (heat shield).

The heat shield is my first contribution to the community, so I hope you like it. :)

It looks like the heatshield has nodes to place the fairings on then you can see a tiny .625m fairing right underneath the parachute. It's the grey disk piece that comes with the PF mod.

Great mod though. It looks incredibly useful for DRE+FAR/NEAR

Hehe thanks! I'll look into it. :)

I polished and added the example craft for you guys. I haven't made a release yet, but the craft file is on GitHub. I released v0.1.1 with the example craft. :) You need my mod and e-dog's excellent PF mod to use it.

Duna Exploration Rover:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/LostOblivion/OblivionAerospace/master/OblivionAerospace/Ships/VAB/Duna%20Exploration%20Rover.craft

Made an operator's guide (also in the craft file description):

1. Reentry.

2. Wait for reentry heat to dissipate.

3. Deploy parachute and wait until fully deployed.

4. Jettison heat shield.

5. Detach sky crane from aeroshell and immediately throttle up to neutralise downward acceleration.

6. Set parking brakes and adjust throttle to gently touch down.

7. Immediately after touch down, without throttling down, detach rover from sky crane and see it fly away into oblivion.

Edit: I guess it would make more sense to call it Duna Science Laboratory since it features a jetted rover instead of a hoisted one, although you could actually make a true Mars Exploration Rover-lookalike with the KAS mod and some proper winches! Challenge accepted? I want to see! :sticktongue:

Edit: Bumped to v0.1.1 with the example craft. :)

Edited by LostOblivion

Nice pictures! Let me know how the shield worked for you. :-)

I'm a little unsure how much the shields should take, though. I mostly tested them with the Mk 1-2 pod for the 2.5m one, and equivalently up/down-scaled for the 1.25m and 3.75m ones, leaving them at around 50 % ablation for reentry from the Mun, but with the (realistically sized) example craft I just made the heat shield is way too tough, leaving the ablation at over 95 % when done reentering. And that's on Kerbin, Duna would almost be neglible. Should I find the nerf-bat?

Oh, you mean like an adapter that meets flush with the heat shield? I've thought about it, and consider to make one, but for now you'll have to make do with attaching decouplers to its bottom node. I've adjusted the bottom node so that (at least the stock) decouplers should fit pretty well.

Until I make a shroud decoupler, you could fit the heat shield up side down and leave the bottom part free, like MER/MSL. Looksee here:

Edited by LostOblivion

Looking forward to the auto shrouds! Once those are completed, these will be my go-to heat shields.

Very early WIP pictures. Feedback welcome. :) What kind of texture/color do you want on it?

Edited by LostOblivion

I like the models so far. I take it instead of a shroud, you're opting for a decoupler? If yes, then I, personally, think it's a better choice than an auto shroud. I'd offer texture help, but I'm no good at that :P I'd just end up making it look like trash! Keep up the solid work!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.