Can't create a maneuver node (and it's not a 0.90 issue)

I'm experiencing a problem that I've occasionally seen in the past. This has nothing to do with not having upgraded my facilities in 0.90. I have a ship on an interplanetary trajectory and I can't place a maneuver node on its orbit. I'm moving the pointer around everywhere and clicking and it's just ignoring me. I was able to create a node when I was in Kerbin orbit, but now that I've left Kerbin's SOI, I can't do it anymore. I can focus on other ships and create nodes, I just can't do it on the one I just launched. As I said, I've had this happen to me in the past long before the upgrade, but I can't remember if or what I did to fix it. Does anybody know what's causing this and how to correct it?

Edited by OhioBob

I've noticed this on suborbital trajectories when your current position is past the apoapsis. Sometimes if you just keep diligently moving the mouse cursor along the orbital plane, you eventually get a chance to place a node, if even only for an instant. Another way to fix it is to reverse your descent so that you are behind the apoapsis, or bring your self back into an orbital trajectory. And I also find if I adjust the camera angle around, sometimes I find a position that is easier to place maneuver nodes from. The major conflict seems to be from the post-crash orbit line sometimes allowing you to place a maneuver node on it but always preventing you from clicking on your present trajectory.

But in 0.90 there is also no way to set nodes until you upgrade something...not sure what but might be the tracking station.

Edited by thereaverofdarkness

I'm experiencing a problem that I've occasionally seen in the past. This has nothing to do with not having upgraded my facilities in 0.90. I have a ship on an interplanetary trajectory and I can't place a maneuver node on its orbit. I'm moving the pointer around everywhere and clicking and it's just ignoring me. I was able to create a node when I was in Kerbin orbit, but now that I've left Kerbin's SOI, I can't do it anymore. I can focus on other ships and create nodes, I just can't do it on the one I just launched. As I said, I've had this happen to me in the past long before the upgrade, but I can't remember if or what I did to fix it. Does anybody know what's causing this and how to correct it?

Yes, come across that one a few times, assuming it's the same cause then saving and reloading usually sorts it out.

I managed to complete my first course correction without a maneuver node, so I at least have an acceptable encounter. I've tried creating a maneuver node all along my current trajectory without success. Oddly I can create a node on the purple post-encounter trajectory but not on the blue current trajectory. I've tried saving and reloading (even rebooting) but that didn't fix the problem. Hopefully I'll be able to create maneuver nodes once I've passed into the planet SOI. The mission is actually two payloads that will separate and fly different approach trajectories once I hit the SOI. It won't be impossible, but it will certainly be much more difficult if I have to make two critical and time sensitive course corrections without maneuver nodes.

But in 0.90 there is also no way to set nodes until you upgrade something...not sure what but might be the tracking station.

Are you sure that you can't place maneuver nodes until you upgrade something? Because that seems logical to me, since I updated to 0.90 and started from the beginning I can't place maneuver nodes at all.

If this is the case, what do I need to upgrade? I upgraded my tracking station to lv 2 and it didn't help. I still can't place maneuver nodes.

That's a very common, and very annoying bug unfortunately. Squad should have fixed this long ago.

I use Mechjeb as a workaround: Create a maneuver node with the Maneuver Node planner, then use the Maneuver Node editor to set all vectors to 0. Then you can use it like a normal maneuver node, but in those situations I would not recommend dragging it around (because then the circle will turn red and you will delete it as soon as you release the mouse button)

I'm experiencing a problem that I've occasionally seen in the past. This has nothing to do with not having upgraded my facilities in 0.90. I have a ship on an interplanetary trajectory and I can't place a maneuver node on its orbit. I'm moving the pointer around everywhere and clicking and it's just ignoring me

Yup, I agree, this is a pre-0.90 issue and very annoying. I have found several ways to work around it (sometimes one works, sometimes another).

1. Try to create a node WAY far ahead of the ship instead of near where you actually want it. Then drag it back to where you want it. Usually doesn't work, in that either you still can't create a node anywhere, or it won't let you drag it all the way back.

2. Quicksave and reload. Fairly successful, just as with curing locked controls.

3. SLIGHTLY change the ship's velocity. Do a very short, low-throttle prograde or retrograde burn, or a blip with forwards or backwards RCS. This almost always works for me.

Are you sure that you can't place maneuver nodes until you upgrade something? Because that seems logical to me, since I updated to 0.90 and started from the beginning I can't place maneuver nodes at all.

If this is the case, what do I need to upgrade? I upgraded my tracking station to lv 2 and it didn't help. I still can't place maneuver nodes.

You need to upgrade the Tracking Station and Mission Control. Tracking Station lvl 2 is needed for patched conics, i.e. the ability to see the results of the maneuver node. Mission Control lvl 2 is needed for flight planning, which means the ability to place the maneuver nodes in the first place. AFAIK this is the only feature that requires two facilities to be upgraded before it can be used.

You need to upgrade the Tracking Station and Mission Control. Tracking Station lvl 2 is needed for patched conics, i.e. the ability to see the results of the maneuver node. Mission Control lvl 2 is needed for flight planning, which means the ability to place the maneuver nodes in the first place. AFAIK this is the only feature that requires two facilities to be upgraded before it can be used.

Thank you, I can put maneuver nodes now.

1. Try to create a node WAY far ahead of the ship instead of near where you actually want it. Then drag it back to where you want it. Usually doesn't work, in that either you still can't create a node anywhere, or it won't let you drag it all the way back.

2. Quicksave and reload. Fairly successful, just as with curing locked controls.

3. SLIGHTLY change the ship's velocity. Do a very short, low-throttle prograde or retrograde burn, or a blip with forwards or backwards RCS. This almost always works for me.

After unsuccessfully trying #2 and #3, I eventually got #1 to work.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had the same issue.

it is kind of stupid actually, but even if you want to do the tutorial you have to upgrade Mission Control and Tracking Station in the career mode.

that was the wohle mystery!

I've noticed this on suborbital trajectories when your current position is past the apoapsis.

I also see it on orbital trajectories when I'm past the Ap, and there's an encounter before Pe. Very annoying, because it's a common time to want to place a node -- this situation happens when I raised Pe at Ap to set up an encounter, and a bit later (e.g. at the AN/DN) I want to do a correction burn.

Typically I can find a place where it'll let me put a node on the path, after a bunch of camera manipulations (zooming in, out, rotating, repeat).

• 4 weeks later...

If you can place a node after your encounter, SOMETIMES the game will allow you to drag it back until before the encounter.

As luck would have it, my experience is that if quit/restart doesn't work, then the above will. I don't know if that's always the case, but it has been for me, so far. (hoping this statement doesn't summon a kraken down on me...)

• 7 months later...

Yea this has plagued me many-a-time, in particular right now. sometimes you can still place a node after the apoapsis, and you can always place it on the purple line, but I cant place it at all on the blue line. Veryy annoying, especially since its 1.04 now and still not fixed. SMH

• 4 weeks later...

well.. We're at the end of 2015 and the bug is still here... Very annoying. Squad, do correct these annoying bugs before moving forward, please. Only workable solution, use mechjeb as suggested. All others may or may not work, mechjeb always works.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.