Devnote Tuesday: Fairing well

SQUAD

fairing parts (at least covering 1.25m through 3.5m profiles)

Why won't you make it scalable like in Procedural Faring mod? So it would be 1 part instead of 3. (I wish the same for fuel tanks as well as for other parts that have identical functionality)

Why won't you make it scalable like in Procedural Faring mod? So it would be 1 part instead of 3. (I wish the same for fuel tanks as well as for other parts that have identical functionality)

But then where would the progression be? I can see there being a case for that in sanbox, but that would rather ruin career mode, don't you think?

That's half the work done, now we just need a way to travel back in time and implement the features before they're requested.

But then everyone might complain about the feature being implemented like they always do. :P Then eventually we'll all be like, "I'm so glad this feature is in the game. I never realized I would need it."

Interstage fairings are something we've discussed here to quite an extent. The current system doesn't support them completely at the moment, but it doesn't preclude them either. They're just not accounted for yet, and we're probably going to have to do some playtesting to figure out how (and if) the fairings would work in between two chunks of spacecraft. We might be able to adapt the current module to do both, or we might require a separate module to handle those cases. The short answer is, we're not quite there yet. :)

Amazing! Hope that they will come soon, even if there will not be present in 1.0 but in next updates

But then where would the progression be? I can see there being a case for that in sanbox, but that would rather ruin career mode, don't you think?

If options would be locked, then I see no problems with it. Like the MJ do. You start only with 1.25 available. The an option for 2.5 is opened and so on...

If options would be locked, then I see no problems with it. Like the MJ do. You start only with 1.25 available. The an option for 2.5 is opened and so on...

Fair enough, I don't have anything against that at all. On the other hand, Tweakscale-type parts will always look the same, just bigger/smaller variations. Perhaps the fairings Squad is working on have different looks, like the fuel tanks? Either way, I'm really looking forward to it.

One thing I would really like to know is whether or not you can strut things to the inside of the fairing?

The enclosure is subdivided into panels, which can break off individually or in groups, which means we can have full control over how the fairing will come apart once it’s jettisoned

Does this mean that we can have the fairing peel off in layers from top to bottom?

I like the sound of the fairings, and more IVA. :)

Regarding IVA, can I make two requests?

First, can the altimeter be corrected like this, so it displays like every real altimeter, and every flight sim out there? That mod I linked changes exactly three lines of code to make the instrument work correctly.

Second, might an airspeed gauge be included for IVA? In addition to surface speed and orbital speed, how about equivalent airspeed? Just as a third option on the default speed gauge? I understand that reading EAS might be confusing for some, and probably shouldn't be included in the default external views. Players choosing to fly IVA, however, are probably seeking that more immersive experience and have already decided to learn how to interpret the instruments. This update promises better atmospheric flight, better airplanes, better flying... and just about the first thing anybody needs to understand about flying an airplane is airspeed.

Actually, thinking about it... you've told us mach effects are modeled ingame. So we could probably make great use of a machmeter, otherwise players are going to wonder why their airplanes suddenly start flying completely differently, possibly going uncontrollable, at seemingly arbitrary speeds and altitudes. So I guess that's three requests. :P

Squad, I love your game. These are great devnotes, thank you! I'm so happy about the continued work on aerodynamics.

Quote from HarvesteR on reddit on how fairings are shaped

"Up to you. You build fairings by placing cross-sections, one by one. Each can extend up to a max height, and also vary in radius.

Although possible, I didn't want to make fairing construction fully automated. It's much more fun to build it up manually.

Mind that the fairing's mass and cost are computed by panelling area, so the larger the fairing is, the heavier and more expensive. Something to keep in mind if you're on a tight budget.

Cheers"

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2x1e8i/devnote_tuesday_fairing_well/

Quote from HarvesteR on reddit on how fairings are shaped

"Up to you. You build fairings by placing cross-sections, one by one. Each can extend up to a max height, and also vary in radius.

Although possible, I didn't want to make fairing construction fully automated. It's much more fun to build it up manually.

Mind that the fairing's mass and cost are computed by panelling area, so the larger the fairing is, the heavier and more expensive. Something to keep in mind if you're on a tight budget.

Cheers"

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2x1e8i/devnote_tuesday_fairing_well/

I am really liking the sound of everything with this update now, and this is a very clever way to do procedural fairings while still letting you piece it together. Can't wait to see it in action!

I really hope interstage fairings are made a thing, I would love every rocket I build to have this moment:

C0154022-Saturn_V_interstage_separation,_artwork-SPL.jpg

Felipe (HarvesteR): This week has been mostly focused on the new fairings, the procedural mesh generation is already up and running, and you can already place them in the editor and sculpt the fairing as you wish. The enclosure is subdivided into panels, which can break off individually or in groups, which means we can have full control over how the fairing will come apart once it’s jettisoned. During construction, you can place a fairing and build it up immediately after placement, or you can use Tweakable actions to edit it later. There are actions to delete, re-build and edit fairings at any time in the editor.

Next up is implementing the actual jettisoning behavior for the panels, and also writing in the enclosure detection, which is already being handled by the cargo bay module. There is quite a bit of work still left to be done, but I dare say what we have is looking pretty good already. .

The fairings are very customizable via the part.cfg, so we can determine the number of panels, the amount (if any) of edge smoothing between panels of different angles, as well as a number of other parameters, on a per part basis. And yes, we are planning on a number of different sizes of fairing parts (at least covering 1.25m through 3.5m profiles).

YAYYY!!! STOCK FAIRINGS!!! no need to install mods! nice looking rockets! (better drag model makes it useful btw)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.