Advanced Aircraft, Building Techniques And Help

V8jester

2 hours ago, yanlokcheng said:

Thank you very much!!!
My  dream plane is going to be come true!
However many mod are not able to use in 1.2.2 is still a problem

Which mods are you still waiting for? ALG is one of the last "big" mods left to be updated. (For aircraft anyways)

On 2017/1/17 at 5:07 AM, V8jester said:

Which mods are you still waiting for? ALG is one of the last "big" mods left to be updated. (For aircraft anyways)

Oh, it is OK now, since I use a wrong way to install the procedural part. However I find that it is no reaction when I right check the procedural part, I think there is still something I need to install before I have to use it.

7 hours ago, yanlokcheng said:

Oh, it is OK now, since I use a wrong way to install the procedural part. However I find that it is no reaction when I right check the procedural part, I think there is still something I need to install before I have to use it.

You can only right click Procedural parts after the part has been attached to the craft. It was a change after 1.2

37 minutes ago, TheGrim said:

How could I go about creating a propeller VTOL to move different BD Armory weapons? What type of basic design would I need and what mods would I need?

Well, VTOL's are easy yet can be difficult at first. In the beginning just remember COM (center of mass) bellow and directly under COT (center of thrust) And use lots of SAS / RCS until you learn to build more stable designs. That's a lot of acronyms... 

Propeller mods off the top of my head...

Firespitter

Quiztech

KAX

KRX

SXT

(Zodius Infuser is working on rotors for a future update to IR Rework)

Edited by V8jester

17 hours ago, V8jester said:

Well, VTOL's are easy yet can be difficult at first. In the beginning just remember COM (center of mass) bellow and directly under COT (center of thrust) And use lots of SAS / RCS until you learn to build more stable designs. That's a lot of acronyms... 

Propeller mods off the top of my head...

Firespitter

Quiztech

KAX

KRX

SXT

(Zodius Infuser is working on rotors for a future update to IR Rework)

Thanks man. And what attachment did you use for the winch in the Osprey video when you moved the howitzer? Also what are some good beginner designs?

4 minutes ago, TheGrim said:

Thanks man. And what attachment did you use for the winch in the Osprey video when you moved the howitzer? Also what are some good beginner designs?

A good beginner design is one that works :)

Dont let anyone hold you back. If you have an idea. Keep hammering on it until it works.

For the winch I just surface mounted two KAS winches to the belly of the osprey, and clipped them in slightly with the offset tool in the SPH. Then used a kerbal to attach them on the ground in "undocked mode" with the howitzer next to the osprey. Once connected I hovered and leveled the load with the KAS winch control panel. Then it was just a matter of keeping the osprey in heli mode so it didn't crash :).

3 hours ago, yanlokcheng said:

Yes I did.

http://imgur.com/zeGJS7x

http://imgur.com/F8TJnwh

http://imgur.com/q9nNzFq

Maybe is my own problem of computer.

I think I see what's wrong.

Open GameData/procedural parts1.2.8 - and tell me what you see.

I think you put too much in your game data folder. You should see

gamedata/procedural parts

You also appear to have put something in your main KSP directory that shouldn't be there. The "parts" folder there should be empty.

Edited by V8jester

10 hours ago, V8jester said:

You also appear to have put something in your main KSP directory that shouldn't be there. The "parts" folder there should be empty.

http://imgur.com/a/ds2iQ

Here you are.

12 hours ago, V8jester said:

Yeah! I did it!

http://imgur.com/a/6ItIO

11 hours ago, TheGrim said:

Sorry back again, but I have figure out a good helicopter design but what would be the best way to help it move forward because the propellers are in a Chinook design and whenever i try to use an engine... it goes boom.

Goes boom on its own or goes boom when it meets the ground?

A Chinook setup tends to be a little less stable in KSP as you aren't adjust lift between the front and back rotors to control pitch (unless you use the mod TCS) so more reaction wheels :)

25 minutes ago, V8jester said:

Goes boom on its own or goes boom when it meets the ground?

A Chinook setup tends to be a little less stable in KSP as you aren't adjust lift between the front and back rotors to control pitch (unless you use the mod TCS) so more reaction wheels :)

It goes boom when it meets the ground because it tends to lose lift when I move forward because so far, TCA does not increase lift in the front. Also I will take your suggestion on the more reaction wheels and what type of propeller design would you recommend for stable cargo hauling with KAS and I can move forward without losing lift, because that is my main boon at this point in time because I am still experimenting.

29 minutes ago, TheGrim said:

It goes boom when it meets the ground because it tends to lose lift when I move forward because so far, TCA does not increase lift in the front. Also I will take your suggestion on the more reaction wheels and what type of propeller design would you recommend for stable cargo hauling with KAS and I can move forward without losing lift, because that is my main boon at this point in time because I am still experimenting.

I can't design your craft for you. I suggested rotors. The last two suggestions I would offer is. You need to be able to take off with less than half power. Otherwise you won't have enough extra power for maneuvers, like forward flight. And if speed is your goal. You can tilt the rotors forward slightly. This makes it more like a plane than a helicopter though. So hovering becomes more difficult.

I use FS and KRX helicopter rotors on my numerous multirotor helicopters I have built. And when they are properly setup they fly great.

12 hours ago, V8jester said:

I can't design your craft for you. I suggested rotors. The last two suggestions I would offer is. You need to be able to take off with less than half power. Otherwise you won't have enough extra power for maneuvers, like forward flight. And if speed is your goal. You can tilt the rotors forward slightly. This makes it more like a plane than a helicopter though. So hovering becomes more difficult.

I use FS and KRX helicopter rotors on my numerous multirotor helicopters I have built. And when they are properly setup they fly great.

Sorry I did meant rotors. I am going to continue to refine my design because I tweaked the Chinook enough design to actually lift cargo. I will just have to redesign for.. stability reasons with the winches. Would you mind looking at my design and suggesting and ideas? 

I don't mind helping you with your design (That's why I started this thread :)) I didn't start this thread to do all the hard work for you though :wink:

Post some pictures and I would be happy to help you trouble shoot what you are working on.

• 2 weeks later...
On January 30, 2017 at 4:28 AM, Wyleg said:

Hello Jester, I got a question.

Do you know how I can modify CFGs to make 'Part Clipping in Editors' and 'Non-Strict Part Attachment Checks' cheats be enabled automatically?

I don't know of a way to enable clipping automatically (I honestly never understood "enabling" it as it works natively....)

And I can say the same for Node attachment. The only way I know is the cheat menue. But On parts with weird nodes I tend to attach them "wrong" and then just rotate with the rotation tool set to snap angles.

You can actually play with nodes in game with the Node tool @linuxgurugamer has taken over. If I find the link before he responds I'll post it here.

4 minutes ago, V8jester said:

I don't know of a way to enable clipping automatically (I honestly never understood "enabling" it as it works natively....)

And I can say the same for Node attachment. The only way I know is the cheat menue. But On parts with weird nodes I tend to attach them "wrong" and then just rotate with the rotation tool set to snap angles.

You can actually play with nodes in game with the Node tool @linuxgurugamer has taken over. If I find the link before he responds I'll post it here.

Actually, I was only doing that for a while. @Felbourn came back and is now supporting it:

https://github.com/Felbourn/NodeHelper/releases

• 2 months later...

Hey Jester, 

I see in your 1.2.2 mods "IR" and "IR Rework" ; I was searching for a IR to work in 1.2 but when I installed those two Ziw edits, the parts were "gliding" just like if the first part of my arm and the last part were fixed to the ship and the middle parts were distorting; is that a known issue? is there a way to fix it?

thanks!

12 hours ago, Tomato29 said:

Hey Jester, 

I see in your 1.2.2 mods "IR" and "IR Rework" ; I was searching for a IR to work in 1.2 but when I installed those two Ziw edits, the parts were "gliding" just like if the first part of my arm and the last part were fixed to the ship and the middle parts were distorting; is that a known issue? is there a way to fix it?

thanks!

Hey I also responded with this same link in the rework thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.