[WIP][1.9.x-1.12.x] Scatterer-atmospheric scattering (0.0838 - 14/08/2022) Scattering improvements, in-game atmo generation and multi-sun support

blackrack

Cool video Daze!

I love the mod!, but I keep getting these strange bugs.... Its hard to explain but as I ascend to orbit the ground and sea "flicker"... Looking at the horizon at low levels, there are graphical errors in the distance (green and rainbow pixels at the horizon). I tried reinstalling and it didn't fix it, so any help for my problem?

Modlist:

yrbAxaI.png

Video of problem:

Output_log file: (game ended in crash)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzwBQu9jNY8cdkJwR2FtLXJOUnc/view?usp=sharing

Cool video Daze!

I love the mod!, but I keep getting these strange bugs.... Its hard to explain but as I ascend to orbit the ground and sea "flicker"... Looking at the horizon at low levels, there are graphical errors in the distance (green and rainbow pixels at the horizon). I tried reinstalling and it didn't fix it, so any help for my problem?

Modlist:

http://i.imgur.com/yrbAxaI.png

Video of problem:

Output_log file: (game ended in crash)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzwBQu9jNY8cdkJwR2FtLXJOUnc/view?usp=sharing

The horizon artifacts are a known issue. However some unlucky people reported the flickering and I was never able to replicate it or find out what causes it. All I can say is, try without any other mods.

Is anyone else getting this rough transition to scaled space textures once they pass 110km? I'm running this on Dx9, dunno if that makes a difference. If its just me I'll have to do some poking but thought I'd ask. Thanks :)

Well, the transition is still very very rough in general and still needs work, unless you get something very different from the transition JT2227 posted a few posts up.

Blackrack, all I can say is keep up the amazing work on the mod! Here is a video I made with your "masterpiece" XD Enjoy!

Great video, but you guys just wait, I still plan to work on an 8k kerbin texture that will have a much more realistic, and non-stockalike look, I will also work on making the continent/sea boundaries better defined.

Is it possible to disable this mod in cameras that are not the main one? Currently it looks very weird in RPM cameras and BDarmory targeting one.

Not sure this is possible, unless maybe I could add all of the scatterer effects in a different layer than the base ones, add that layer to the main camera(s) and then just tell other modders to not use this layer for their mods.

Well, the transition is still very very rough in general and still needs work, unless you get something very different from the transition JT2227 posted a few posts up.

Well the transition he showed in the video was pretty smooth and gradual. What I'm experiencing is no transition going from the 25km config point to the 110km config point, its just a sudden change. I can post a video of an actual rocket launch going past it if that would make the problem clear?

Well the transition he showed in the video was pretty smooth and gradual. What I'm experiencing is no transition going from the 25km config point to the 110km config point, its just a sudden change. I can post a video of an actual rocket launch going past it if that would make the problem clear?

sorry, I didn't notice you included a gyfcat link, it seems like the configPoints are not working in your case or you deleted the config file. There should be 4 or 5 config points in the UI, if you get only 2 configPoints then the mod is reverting to default values, either the config file can't be read or it was overwritten.

sorry, I didn't notice you included a gyfcat link, it seems like the configPoints are not working in your case or you deleted the config file. There should be 4 or 5 config points in the UI, if you get only 2 configPoints then the mod is reverting to default values, either the config file can't be read or it was overwritten.

I was messing with them before I noticed the bug and thought that I had messed something up like you said so I tried reverting to the default config and it was still happening. It has 4 config points in there, I was just saying the 25km and 110km config points is where the issue was arising.

I was messing with them before I noticed the bug and thought that I had messed something up like you said so I tried reverting to the default config and it was still happening. It has 4 config points in there, I was just saying the 25km and 110km config points is where the issue was arising.

There are no 25km and 110km points in the default config, there are 1km, 5km, 55km and 160km so make sure you revert to the default config included iwth the mod. Also, I set them all by eye in like 15 minutes so probably it's better to make your own configs.

There are no 25km and 110km points in the default config, there are 1km, 5km, 55km and 160km so make sure you revert to the default config included iwth the mod. Also, I set them all by eye in like 15 minutes so probably it's better to make your own configs.

Whoops yeah sorry I meant 55km and 160km. The 25km and 110km are the ones from RVE configs I was messing with. I'm going to re-download the mod and see if it fixes it. I was using a cached copy so that might've been what was making it mess up. I'll post back when I do that :) Thanks for the help :D

Ok, I tried a fresh copy and it still has the same issue, I'll post the settings file that it's using just in case even though its the default one. I haven't seen anyone else post this issue so I'm guessing its something on my end that's causing it.

forceOFFaniso = False
displayInterpolatedVariables = True
extinctionMultiplier = 1
extinctionTint = 1
mapExtinctionMultiplier = 1.5
mapExtinctionTint = 1
MapViewScale = 1
mapExposure = 0.12
mapAlphaGlobal = 1
rimBlend = 20
rimpower = 600
configPoints
{
Item
{
altitude = 1000
skyAlpha = 1
skyExposure = 0.25
postProcessAlpha = 0.78
postProcessDepth = 0.06
postProcessExposure = 0.23
skyExtinctionMultiplier = 1
skyExtinctionTint = 1
}
Item
{
altitude = 5000
skyAlpha = 1
skyExposure = 0.25
postProcessAlpha = 0.78
postProcessDepth = 0.1
skyExtinctionTint = 1
}
Item
{
altitude = 55000
skyAlpha = 1
skyExposure = 0.25
postProcessAlpha = 0.78
postProcessDepth = 0.8
skyExtinctionTint = 1
}
Item
{
altitude = 160000
skyAlpha = 1
skyExposure = 0.15
postProcessAlpha = 0.78
postProcessDepth = 2.4
skyExtinctionMultiplier = 1.35
skyExtinctionTint = 0.9
}
}

Hey. Love the mod. I love what it does. I'm running it under 64 bit linux. I get serious serious moiring, developing as I ascend, with the strongest being between the 55km and 160km altitude points. Interestingly, it's the camera's altitude; it's pretty apparent when I pull way out from the ship that it switches to the orbital config. Nice work :)

Here's a screenie of the moiring:

Y53TTuCArIC7KPM5ppqpgXxl89BemXsVj9EvgySClHWnLjYHDrjTz9wfdCh_zfVYZ0bPwWYQol0IXY9kIKg4qM0EFddkn3LvRFGkRb6WX0tZDm89nNUj7DxMwdpXxBi_RijJA5E7FJOSCEhwkJj5Tw8I0yWi6WQvSDWtvFruahsQYgFToJ-1HmhqkV9_Ag_ZJJ4cSDN1B_MXBQBkAJXCntWBNknHRkXlsp-sM2n3srnGFLI10Dyccbna_V8C-clNTmQ35Fvl-wqLMhMJ-XSPUXCqsGsgL0-0cmvlOpN7fFRl5pGrFXN_GjWHY1dUrKYW7QdxUbb4WMG8YtR0ZCnJVCOkVUd8w0STGdAhHG1CWgZwXSW_fMJg_ys9LXZm_bilf9NXlOJkiT6mPwYII-mg6Kt-REcCLF6GAineJRgKZkX0U7G7oOsES_pb4q2rJxBEkVwo-hY02dTQ1LJoyoAURP3HmVxOp6TqQqL3o83lIxCavVFkCoasjLmbAg666BxdgkemIxgtV2HGkXpTYgOQY3V_E3uSK2p2Ht7d87uQm5I=w1721-h968-no

If you're interested, I'd be happy to run a debug build for you. I love the potential of this and I'd really like to help it get fixed. The in-game AA doesn't work. I've been messing around with the nvidia control panel etc to try to get the card to do it, but so far not very successfully. PM me and we can exchange emails.

Just wanted to let you know that there is a small issue when using Real Solar System with 0.01781.

If I change ParentPlanetCelestialBodyName to "Earth" in PlanetName.txt, I get about 1 frame every 3 seconds (0.3 fps) on the KSC screen, making the game unplayable.

However, if I leave ParentPlanetCelestialBodyName as "Kerbin", and instead comment out "cbNameLater = Earth" in GameData/RealSolarSystem/RSSKopernicus.cfg (effectively renaming Earth back to Kerbin), scatterer works as expected.

Just wanted to let you know that there is a small issue when using Real Solar System with 0.01781.

If I change ParentPlanetCelestialBodyName to "Earth" in PlanetName.txt, I get about 1 frame every 3 seconds (0.3 fps) on the KSC screen, making the game unplayable.

However, if I leave ParentPlanetCelestialBodyName as "Kerbin", and instead comment out "cbNameLater = Earth" in GameData/RealSolarSystem/RSSKopernicus.cfg (effectively renaming Earth back to Kerbin), scatterer works as expected.

yeah me too, there still appears to be allot of stuff named Kerbin e.g. in the config.xml and proland shader name (I think)

Pingopete already reported this, I'll look into it as soon as I get some time.

yeah me too, there still appears to be allot of stuff named Kerbin e.g. in the config.xml and proland shader name (I think)

These are actually completely ignored now, the only names that matter are those in the planetName file.

Blackrack, kind of off topic question perhaps. Can you remember in the early days of this mod you posted a demo, where shaders were used to generate clouds?

Have you, in the course of developing Scatterer up till now, been able to do some research into the feasibility of using shaders to generate clouds instead of using textures like with EVE?

Blackrack, kind of off topic question perhaps. Can you remember in the early days of this mod you posted a demo, where shaders were used to generate clouds?

Have you, in the course of developing Scatterer up till now, been able to do some research into the feasibility of using shaders to generate clouds instead of using textures like with EVE?

I don't remember this exactly, I may have posted a few outerra videos (they have really good clouds), one video demo from reset (I think this might be the one you're talking about) and a few proland videos. If I'm not mistaken Proland's source code doesn't actually include the godrays and the cloud shaders.

I haven't actually really researched this much yet but I have to say it doesn't look easy at all to make convincing clouds. One thing that I find more feasible right now is volumetric smoke and fire plumes/rocket exhausts but don't get excited yet. I will probably give all of this stuff a better look later down the road.

Pingopete already reported this, I'll look into it as soon as I get some time.

These are actually completely ignored now, the only names that matter are those in the planetName file.

It may be then to do with the load order, presumably (I'm probably wrong, always am) the line in RSS: cbNameLater changes the names after initial game launch which might be why, if scatterer's looking for Earth on startup, it's missing it?