Dynamic Deflection v0.5

Crzyrndm

All my minor mods are going into a single thread post-1.0 release. Please check my signature for the new thread

The control authority a plane needs from it's control surfaces may vary over the length of a flight. At low altitude or high speed, the deflection we have may be too high causing excessive G loadings, but we can't reduce it because at higher altitudes we need all of that deflection to keep the nose pointing forwards. Currently, the tools we have for this problem focus on changing input scale (fine control, FAR's dynamic control authority (DCA) helper, etc.) which isn't always what is needed.

Dynamic Control Surface Deflection approaches this from a different direction, altering the maximum deflection individual control surfaces can use according to the current dynamic pressure. This deflection scaling can be different for each set of control surfaces (so you can set ailerons to scale differently to elevators, etc.).

Download - Source

0w1hsvK.png

NOTE: This fixes SAS wobble with much lower complexity than PID tuning and without permanently compromising control output

NOTE2: To open the window, mouse over a control surface and press 'K'

License is GPLv3

Edited by Crzyrndm

Hmm. Can you get info from FAR to determine what inputs are sent to a control surface? I'm thinking about things like elevons which might want roll scaled differently to pitch, or a control with some AoA input.

Also this should let you effectively disable a surface in flight, shouldn't it?

Maybe (will get it working on the basics first, but probably can), and yes. It also serves as an Auto speed/altitude tuner for PA/SAS :D (given correct inputs)

EDIT

Flying on Stock SAS (no tweaks at all) @400m/s @ 500m in FAR with no wobble (dyn press > 80kPa). This has definitely the most useful mod I've made in a while :D

ymh86vN.png
Edited by Crzyrndm

v0.1 release

Mouse over a control surface (in editor or flight) and press 'K' to open the editor window for that part and it's symmetry counterparts (window behaves very similarly to B9 PWings configuration window in this respect)

The left hand column is the dynamic pressure in kPa (for those using FAR, it doesn't match ferrams value of Q just yet E: Fixed on git), right is the percentage of deflection angle (that you set as normal in the editor) that it can use at that Q level. Output deflection is clamped between 0 and 89 degrees (you can input values > 100%).

All symmetry counterparts receive the same settings automatically, and there is a copy to all button for doing a quick setup ;)

Now, off to do something about that window... (E: Git version improved)

NOTE: I won't do another packaged release for ~24 hours, but you can get the latest updates directly from github

Edited by Crzyrndm

Great work, that's matching the idea i got for use of inner and outer ailerons on roll axis. It's now possible to use outer ailerons at low speed and low dynamic pressure and inner ailerons (less torque on roll axis) at high dynamic pressure.

Less deflection for yaw at high speed/high dynamic pressure is also very good as it protects tail fin integrity and plane integrity.

Could you give us an idea of dynamic pressure at different speed/ mach and altitude?

Thank's for the work!

FAR has a dynamic pressure (Q) readout in it's data (in Pa, note that settings here are in kPa), and I'll add one somewhere for tomorrows release ;)

The equation for Q is: density * velocity2 * 0.5 (decreases exponentially with altitude, increases by the square of velocity). Typical takeoff Q is ~10kPa IIRC

- - - Updated - - -

And a video

Edited by Crzyrndm

v0.2

• A default setup can be created (from file only at the moment) that will be applied to all new parts automatically
  • Dynamic pressure (Q) readout added to flight UI
  • Automatic addition of new entries (no more add button), just keep hitting tab
  • Fixed "Copy to all" causing all surfaces to always use the same setup (only symmetry relations should copy each other permanently)
  • internal Q now matches FAR Q calculation when using FAR
  • UI cleanup (slightly, it's never going to be pretty :P)

Edited by Crzyrndm

v0.3

• Added buttons to restore defaults and to save as default
  • Fixed text focusing so it doesn't get stuck after creating a new row (this is why you don't make releases when dead tired...)

Might look into adding a little graph to better visualise what's happening, but otherwise this is good for a while.

Edited by Crzyrndm

Major Bug Discovered

Don't set the deflection at the lowest Q (ie. the first entry) to anything other than 100%. Reloading craft is causing them to use the last set value and then apply the % again on top of that. Will update as soon as I have a fix

Edited by Crzyrndm

Urgh, 4 releases in 24 hours just isn't my style :(. My apologies to anyone who got caught in the bugs in 0.2/0.3 that I really should have caught

v0.4

• Fixed 100% deflection angle not being saved correctly
  • Fixed loading of config when no config exists
  • Fixed single nullref on closing the window

Edit

Make that 5... (Dang it, It will be right this time *shakes fist at PC*)

v0.4.1

• Fixed FAR ctrl surface 100% deflection being saved as 0 unless window opened over it in editor

Edited by Crzyrndm