What did you think of the movie?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the movie?

• Out of this world 10 out of 10
    • Really, Really Good
    • It was an ok movie
    • I really did't like it that much
    • I absolutely hated it

I almost picked this book up awhile back but instead read the complete Red, Green, Blue Mars trilogy and got burned out on Mars for a bit. Totally forgot about it until just seeing the trailer for the first time. And I'm like.. wow.. is this going to be the hardest, most realistic space sci/fi ever DONE?!? I know the book is super-hard sci/fi and it almost..almost looks like they are staying true to what I have read about it. Are we seriously slowly entering an age of increasingly realistic space sci/fi?? What is happening????

AHAHHAAHAHAHHHH I don't believe any of this! I think I'm in a parallel universe.

I love the spacecraft, omg. It actually shares a basic design aesthetic with an old Duna cruiser I built forever ago only it looks a thousand times better.

Weird seeing actors reappearing from Interstellar.

To those that read the book: I found a full copy online while searching for info. I feel guilty reading it and haven't yet for I know the guy self-published and I have way too much respect for that. Was it released free or something? Or did I stumble onto some pirate site? It looks very official, no sketchness.

Its really cheap on Amazon. I would buy if not only for the fact that from now on every copy is going to have Matt Damon's face on it. So I would pick it up just so you can have a copy from before the movie release. Plus its a book you should have!

- - - Updated - - -

Also how many times have all you guys watched the trailer? The more I watch it I can clearly hear that they edited the sound and video to make it seem like the hermes crew received Watneys message. Its too good of a plot point to not include in the film. What I would like to discuss is, what do we think they will cut from the film? What from the book do we think is going to be cut because of time constraints. From the trailer we see an Atlas Rocket on the launch pad, and a person looking quite upset after that shot and a launchpad in the forgroround, so the first supply mission will be in the film. There is a clip of to chinese people looking completive, so the hermes supply rendezvous is in it. His trip to the pathfinder seems to be in it obviously because that is his first means of communication. Honestly most of it seems to be there. Even the hab exploding looks like it is going to be in there. So honestly I think they might his trip to retrieve the RTG? Yes it is an important plot point and science wise he definitely needs it. What do you guys think? What will they cut?

One last thing my only complaint is that the hermes is way too luxurious. I was picturing more of a constellation program design but hey how could I really complain about it looking too nice. The gravity ring with the bay windows are not very realistic but I suppose makes for a beautiful shot and scenes so.....whatever!! ITS BEAUTIFUL OK!!! I love it!!

Also what are the chances they find a way to kill Sean Bean?

Edited by sp1989

Also what are the chances they find a way to kill Sean Bean?

<<<<<<<< spoiler >>>>>>>>>

I see Watney, safe and sound. NASA crew celebrating. Fade to black. Credits roll. Bonus scene opens with Sean Bean's character walking down the street and is suddenly killed by a falling antenna. Scene fades to black, and a notice comes up on screen saying "its in his contract."

Edited by Tourist

I said before that with all of your parts we can make a really close replica of this Hermes.

Believe it or not, I made this long before the trailer, I'm amazed how much it resembles the design shown. I made this and all the other craft in the book for a "The Martian" challenge to recreate the scenarios :)

en9KvcQ.png

One thing that is really bothering me is that everyone seems to be commenting that it's an Interstellar prequel or an Interstellar ripoff. There are a few superficial similarities, but instead of a 1h70m pseudo-intellectual borefest with laughable plot points we may well be treated to a tight, well thought out thriller with decent characters and good humour. I really wish people would see that. However, I wouldn't be surprised if word of mouth turned those impressions around once it's released.

Weird seeing actors reappearing from Interstellar.

Yeah, I never got why Neo gave up all his powers while hunting the son of a Russion mobster ... :wink:

To those that read the book: I found a full copy online while searching for info. I feel guilty reading it and haven't yet for I know the guy self-published and I have way too much respect for that. Was it released free or something? Or did I stumble onto some pirate site? It looks very official, no sketchness.

If I remember correctly - and it seems I do - Weir offered the book to publishers without success and decided to put it online for free first.

I myself got it for free as an audiobook when I first subscribed to Audible.

From various reference pics, I've come to the conclusion that the Hermes, is in fact, solar powered. This is a bit disappointed,

What exactly makes you think that?

And even if, why is it disappointing? It has no real impact on the story.

One thing that is really bothering me is that everyone seems to be commenting that it's an Interstellar prequel or an Interstellar ripoff. There are a few superficial similarities, but instead of a 1h70m pseudo-intellectual borefest with laughable plot points we may well be treated to a tight, well thought out thriller with decent characters and good humour. I really wish people would see that. However, I wouldn't be surprised if word of mouth turned those impressions around once it's released.

Yup.

And what also bothers me: I am in no way a big patriot and far from being a nationalist, but can anyone explain to me why they almost never get Non-American/-English-speaking characters right?

I remember sitting next to a couple of apparently Russian descent in "Airforce One" - they always snickered and shook from stifled laughter whenever the "Russians" on screen spoke. :D

In this case Vogel, not getting a German actor to play a German is fine with me, Asian characters from a specific country get replaced with any Asian actor as well - e.g. Sulu's new actor Cho is Korean -, but please find someone who actually speaks German or at least is able to immitate it and find someone on set who can teach him the few German words he has to say?! :P

*sigh* Better now that it is out of my system.

Yeah, I never got why Neo gave up all his powers while hunting the son of a Russion mobster ... :wink:

If I remember correctly - and it seems I do - Weir offered the book to publishers without success and decided to put it online for free first.

I myself got it for free as an audiobook when I first subscribed to Audible.

What exactly makes you think that?

And even if, why is it disappointing? It has no real impact on the story.

Yup.

And what also bothers me: I am in no way a big patriot and far from being a nationalist, but can anyone explain to me why they almost never get Non-American/-English-speaking characters right?

I remember sitting next to a couple of apparently Russian descent in "Airforce One" - they always snickered and shook from stifled laughter whenever the "Russians" on screen spoke. :D

In this case Vogel, not getting a German actor to play a German is fine with me, Asian characters from a specific country get replaced with any Asian actor as well - e.g. Sulu's new actor Cho is Korean -, but please find someone who actually speaks German or at least is able to immitate it and find someone on set who can teach him the few German words he has to say?! :P

*sigh* Better now that it is out of my system.

Can say the same about the fake Russian accents I see so often :P that hard to get a talented Russian actor when there are plenty available.

That's Hollywood for ya.

Edited by SpaceXray

First look at the Hermes

4lvVOt9.png

A few things I instantly noticed:

- It has a spinny gravity thing in the middle rather than the very front or back, much like the USS George W Bush from Iron sky.

- The solar arrays look just like those from the ISS, and for some reason there is a third pair of arrays in a random position at the front that is oriented differently from the other two pairs

- The very back of the spacecraft has an X-shaped radiator module as well as 6 relatively small propellant tanks, so the propulsion system is likely nuclear-electric

- Overall, the spacecraft has a very modern-tech feel. It also looks like it was constructed modularly, so that is good.

Drive section with reactor at the aft - storage for fuel, air, water, stuff in those "balloon tanks" - more storage for supplies - ring-habitat section - another (probably secondary) support module - technical/sciency/communication stuff - command module/cockpit - weird thingy in front, hm ... emergency: inflatable shelter, aerobraking shield, sun screen for solar storm or maybe transfer vehicle to the Mars Decend Vehicle, seeing no thrusters though ...

This seems about right.

I was picturing a more classic white space suit, I just doesn't look bulky enough.

Interstellar had the perfect space suit for this kind of movie. Of course, they can't use the same design twice.

I think the timeline differs from ours quite a bit more than them landing on Mars regularly in a few years - either it is set far more in the future than 10-15 years (shame on me, cannot remember a date from the book ... ) or they never stopped at Apollo like we basically did.

I think it is supposed to be set in the late 2030s or early 2040s. I think.

The only unbelievable is NASA has the money to go to Mars lol.

This is the one thing I don't like so far. NASA won't do this alone, if at all. America simply won't give the money for that. I bet the film won't even mention any other space agencies.

ALMOST like in this future they harvested the ISS for parts to build the hermes and then added alot of infrastructure.

I never even thought of that... it's not a bad idea...

Speaking of which what's with the solar panels on a nuclear powered ship?

Backup. You would not want to freeze to death in utter darkness while your engineer try to get the reactor running again after an emergency shutdown.

Come here, my beautiful nuclear-electric ion propelled friend!

I wonder how long Hollywood will keep this up, Gravity in 2013, Interstellar in 2014, and The Martian in 2015. Three good sci-fi movies in three years, it's a good time to be a sci-fi fan!

You forgot about Europa report in 2013.

Matt Damon stranded in space

A team is sent to rescue him

HAVEN'T WE LEARNED BY NOW THAT THIS IS NOT A GOOD PLAN

I... How... I literally can't breathe right now...

After thinking about it I can see why they would cut the sub plot of NASA keeping the crew in the dark about Watney. While it is good for the book (added depth) it doesn't really add much to the over all story when you think about it, all that it amounts to is a bit of banter and some tension between the crew and NASA. I really hope they show Melissa being really conflicted about leaving Watney, it made the story seem so much more real.

Can say the same about the fake Russian accents I see so often :P that hard to get a talented Russian actor when there are plenty available.

That's Hollywood for ya.

The most annoying thing when Hollywood portrays foreign characters is that they get a corny accent, but use perfect English grammar, colloquialisms and idiomatic expressions, while still using words like "bonjour" or "fraulein" whenever they can. Tip for screenwriters: foreigners usually know how to say "good morning" or "thank you", but they are more likely to get their grammar wrong and won't use expressions like "driving me up the wall" or "pulling your leg".

i like seeing movies like this at the box office. gravity, interstellar and now this. i hope this trend continues. its better than the usual blend of action/scifi/fantasy that seems to be run of the mill these days. i haven't read the book yet, i tend to watch the movie first, then read the book some years later, that way im not disappointed.

id say the ship is not nuclear, thats too much solar panel area for a backup system, and even an all solar platform like the iss needs radiators. that doesn't look like enough radiator area for a nuclear reactor either its comparable to what the iss has. its definitely some kind of electric propulsion. the propellant looks about right for some kind of next gen ion propulsion. but from the 4 year estimate of a rescue mission they are probibly going to need to do a hohmann transfer. so it could be some kind of arc jet.

I was excited when it was announced they were making a film of Andy Weir's The Martian. At the time, I hadn't read it, but I had heard the author did alot of homework to make the plot convincing - and an astronaut trying to survive stranded on Mars while back home we are scrambling to save him is an awesome story! Today I saw the trailer for the first time - the first look you got at the actual film.

Well no need to be coy. What in Alekseyev's name is Mark Watney wearing? It's the most awful modern-science-fictiony non-spacesuit-looking joke of a costuming mistake I have ever seen! It looks more like a stormtrooper costume than any kind of real spacesuit, let alone one designed for extravehicular activity! That freaking armor chest-plate just screams fake. It's not just that it's unrealistic, it simply does not convince me that it was meant to be a spacesuit. They clearly did not take any inspiration from anything real!

This bupkis costuming job does not bode well for this film's scientific "realism".

id say the ship is not nuclear, thats too much solar panel area for a backup system, and even an all solar platform like the iss needs radiators. that doesn't look like enough radiator area for a nuclear reactor either its comparable to what the iss has. its definitely some kind of electric propulsion. the propellant looks about right for some kind of next gen ion propulsion. but from the 4 year estimate of a rescue mission they are probibly going to need to do a hohmann transfer. so it could be some kind of arc jet.

Hermes is propelled by VASIMRs (says so in the book), and IIRC, it is nuclear-powered; those solar arrays alone wouldn't cut it for such power-hungry engines.

Hermes is propelled by VASIMRs (says so in the book), and IIRC, it is nuclear-powered; those solar arrays alone wouldn't cut it for such power-hungry engines.

Yeah, I'd say judgin by the amount of solar arrays and the size of the ship, the power from the solar panels goes to the ship life support, instruments, avionics and other. The reactor powers the engines exclusively most likely, to keep the power systems separate. Also, the engines and reactor are separate from the crew sections, lowering risk. If the reactor fails for a while or needs an emergency shutdown, all they need to keep the ship running are the large panels.

I read the book. Lost it when they mentioned slide rules. Pretty funny so far, seems to have weird spelling, or I'm just blind. XD

Also, "Try updating a Linux server some time", had me actually laughing out loud. i rarely do that.

Edit 2: Oh god, this is freaking hilarious

Edited by waterlubber

If you read the book, you might have tempered your statement a bit. It's not supposed to be a spacesuit per se, more of a Mars surface suit. But I'm four other books past that one now, so don't remember all the details of the suit's descriptions. My point is, read the book first before you jump all over the movie producer's interpretation of it.

For me, it's not outside it's fairly inside the line of possibility; a suit that can withstand the Mars climate hours at a time.

I just watched the trailer..and can I just say, when he was making his first log entry, I laughed out loud for about 30 seconds after his comment about having to use science. XD

On the topic of the suit though, I didn't think it was that unrealistic. Interstellar's suits look much more like clone troopers anyways. :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.