Windows 64 bit community workaround

WWEdeadman

So, from what I tested so far: The mods that disabled themselves on the official KSP 64 bit versions still do it for the workaround. (Also the toolbar still gives you Nyan Cat on the loading screen and the message saying you're using 64 bit)

As for 64-bit specific bugs: I still get the stop-motion IVA pictures of the kerbals in the bottom right corner while flying. I can't seem to find anything else being wrong with it though, apart from very minor things like the screen glitching out for a bit on transition between the KSC screen and the inside of any building. Modded it to hell and back, still not crashing.

Yes but it is pointless, they support only an unmodded installation however if you begin to use mods and you reach the 4GB limit it is as unstable as the Windows 64bit version.

However it is more difficult to reach 4GB under Linux because of OpenGL. Also overall performance under Linux is not as good as on Windows.

I have no idea where you got this, but it is completely false. I mod the living heck out of it, and it never, ever crashes or bugs out on me. And yes, it exceeds 4GB. And that's not an isolated experience. I know many people running it with heavily modded installs exceeding 4GB who have no issues at all. I have maybe 2k hours with it over various versions, and I have had 3 crashes in all that time. The last time was a very long time ago. That's almost unheard of levels of stability.

tl;dr 64 bit KSP for Linux is beautiful.

Squad officially support their own code in KSP on 32bit Windows, 32bit OS X, 32bit Ubuntu Linux and 64bit Ubuntu Linux.*

Squad doesn't provide support for Unity3D specific issues or 3rd party code, but do support the modding of KSP.

Squad will be looking again at x64 with the move to Unity5, but if you have issues with your own 64bit binary for 1.0 there's nothing Squad can do, sorry about that.

*Oops, nope still experimental.

This is just a bunch of us goofing around with the old hack methinks. I know in advance that if my game goes up like a Jebediah creation, it's my own doing. Addle, what version of Linux are you using? I tried Ubuntu but it wasn't happy. Maybe I'll try again. I like Linux but most of my games are Windows games.

Well thats Fantastic.

Works perfectly under W7.

Not that I have many mods loaded. Just Chatterer : ColiisionFX : EVE : PlanetShine : TextureReplacer

I have a few of the HD textures loaded from various sources.

So far its been running smoothly.

Even did a climb, orbit, and landing with no issues.

Totally worth the 15 minutes it took to DL Unity just to get those two files.

Like a charm! Lots of mods loaded, textures and graphics maxxed out, over 8gb of ram used and stable as a rock! XD

This is after 8 hours straight playing while using many other programs in the background and not a single crash:

Capture.jpg

Btw, I've also gained quite a bit of fps. 100 part rocket on re-entry before with half of these mods and 1/8 texture was about 8fps.

Now with all graphics maxed out and full res textures with the same rocket on re-entry I'm around 50-60fps. XD

Edited by JeeF

So far working great for me, actually more stable than 32 bit for me because I teeter on the memory limit with my mods. I've actually resorted to pruning parts that I don't use often including quite a few base game items. Will be nice if this works to not have to deal with that anymore

WWEdeadman Thanks for posting this. I have tripled my mod capacity. And it appears to be more stable than 32 bit for me as well. I managed to get 1.0.2 to crash on startup with mods approaching the 3GB mark before. But now, it loads just fine and I seem to be able to revert to the VAB SPH as much as I want with no crashes like the ones most common with .90 32 / 64 bit. It does appear that you need the horse power, as it's not unusual to rise to 8GB + of memory usage. But for those with the head room. I say go for it, this is how KSP is meant to be played.

I have no idea where you got this, but it is completely false. I mod the living heck out of it, and it never, ever crashes or bugs out on me. And yes, it exceeds 4GB. And that's not an isolated experience. I know many people running it with heavily modded installs exceeding 4GB who have no issues at all. I have maybe 2k hours with it over various versions, and I have had 3 crashes in all that time. The last time was a very long time ago. That's almost unheard of levels of stability.

tl;dr 64 bit KSP for Linux is beautiful.

I'll second this. I also run KSP 64bit on Linux and have had extremely few crashes and those were only caused by mods not behaving.

Blimey, JeeF, what are you doing with Skype that makes it use nearly 800 megs of memory?

Maybe cos of me restarting/shutting down my computer once every 6 months. I just put it in standby and leave everything running.

Got my first crash using the 64 bits. KSP was at 13gb ram usage after 48 hours running straight, when I started getting some graphical glitches and it eventually crashed during a launch.

Must have something to do with Project Cars running in the background and Vegas encoding a video.

Edited by JeeF

Addle, what version of Linux are you using? I tried Ubuntu but it wasn't happy. Maybe I'll try again. I like Linux but most of my games are Windows games.

Arch Linux. It's my favorite so far, and very nice, but not really for everybody. Mostly because updates are on the command line and sometimes require you to manually merge config files. The installation is also command line, but the docs are fantastic. On the other hand, it's a rolling release so there are no big upgrades to annoy you at regular intervals. None of those things bother me one bit, and the rest of the desktop and such is pretty much like any other distro. Worth checking out and maybe trying in a VM if you are curious, IMO.

Downloading here to test - My KSP is crashing constantly. I have lots of mods, but almost none add new parts - just new mechanics (Ferram; RemoteTech), some new missions... things that shouldn't use a lot of memory... I'll post back with my results!

Edit: It stopped crashing my saves - they usually would crash in some seconds - truly impressive.

On the other side, i got the missing parts icon (in my case the chutes won't appear on the F(x) tab, only in sort by tier, and the chutes won't deploy (or let right click it - I'm using RealChutes and FAR 0.15). Also the building some times get upgraded to level 3 automatically (as reported before).

Given just the bugs above, and the incredible increase in stability, I expect them to release a x86-64 version again (or I will start to dual boot linux lol).

Edited by SacaSoh

Downloading here to test - My KSP is crashing constantly. I have lots of mods, but almost none add new parts - just new mechanics (Ferram; RemoteTech), some new missions... things that shouldn't use a lot of memory... I'll post back with my results!

Edit: It stopped crashing my saves - they usually would crash in some seconds - truly impressive.

On the other side, i got the missing parts icon (in my case the chutes won't appear on the F(x) tab, only in sort by tier, and the chutes won't deploy (or let right click it - I'm using RealChutes and FAR 0.15). Also the building some times get upgraded to level 3 automatically (as reported before).

Given just the bugs above, and the incredible increase in stability, I expect them to release a x86-64 version again (or I will start to dual boot linux lol).

Yes the only mod I had to stop using was RealChute, a great tradeoff if you ask me.

And for the buildings, just enter and exit the contract buildings and it fixes it! =)

Yes the only mod I had to stop using was RealChute, a great tradeoff if you ask me.

And for the buildings, just enter and exit the contract buildings and it fixes it! =)

I tried again without realchutes (just wih the lite version embedded in FAR): It`s working all right, with just the upgrade bug (manageable, as you said above).

Thank all you guys for this - I couldn't play without the 64bits executable!

Edit: too early comment lol: the chutes are the issue right now - they open, but don't produce drag... the craft falls as if they aren't deployed. Unfortunately, for me, it's removing FAR entirely or playing - so no play for me. I'll get arch linux and do a dual boot.

Edited by SacaSoh

I tried again without realchutes (just wih the lite version embedded in FAR): It`s working all right, with just the upgrade bug (manageable, as you said above).

Thank all you guys for this - I couldn't play without the 64bits executable!

Edit: too early comment lol: the chutes are the issue right now - they open, but don't produce drag... the craft falls as if they aren't deployed. Unfortunately, for me, it's removing FAR entirely or playing - so no play for me. I'll get arch linux and do a dual boot.

I have done this x64 workaround. ive bought the game direct so no steam, just did a separate fresh copy of KSP,

i installed approx 40+ mods but the ones i was most interested in where these, installed via CKAN

Astronomer's Pack

Clouds - high

Distant object enhancement

Planetshine

Atmospheric scattering

Auroras 4k

clouds for eve & jool 4k

Sandstorms and surface dust

snow

surface glow

These were insta kill on 32bit, but am running max res, max AAx8 and runs smooth.. so far

hadnt put too much hours in, but looks very promising no bug encountered yet

dont think i can ever go back to 32bit, 4k eve and jool.

also have a 4k skybox, most ram used 5.1gb

So guys I finally got my first crash last night. I was running at 10 Gigs during the crash and I almost feel like it was something else because I was hardcore testing with explosions and launching an awesome Space shuttle I built. I jettisoned MY srbs on the shuttle and they impacted my wings and caused rapid disassembly of the entire ship and then crash! But I really had to push hard for this crash and I'm starting to feel like all the hate for 64 bit is being proven here in this thread as just being mis-informed modders who don't know how to ask for/read the error report. The very first thing you see in a report is if the user is running 64 bit or 32 bit so it's super easy for them to see and deny help to those using 64 bit. When they say 64 bit was causing too much headache for them the real reason was this! It's kind of too good to be true how much more stable 64 bit is in this version of KSP and I'm starting to wonder just how much of the issues really are from the Unity engine itself and not just problems with code on Squad's end. Anyways I wanna see later if I can replicate the crash and if so I will update you guys. Fly safe everyone!

WARNING TO TROLLERS: This is a friendly post for people wanting to help the 64 bit cause because KSP needs 64 bit to be a finished game! If you are against it and wish to just mock us then just stay out of this thread! You know who you are and your hate is not welcome here! And if you are a modder who disables on win64 bit than most likely that means you as well unless you have something helpful to add! Thank you and fly safe everyone! :cool:

So guys I finally got my first crash last night. I was running at 10 Gigs during the crash and I almost feel like it was something else because I was hardcore testing with explosions and launching an awesome Space shuttle I built. I jettisoned MY srbs on the shuttle and they impacted my wings and caused rapid disassembly of the entire ship and then crash! But I really had to push hard for this crash and I'm starting to feel like all the hate for 64 bit is being proven here in this thread as just being mis-informed modders who don't know how to ask for/read the error report. The very first thing you see in a report is if the user is running 64 bit or 32 bit so it's super easy for them to see and deny help to those using 64 bit. When they say 64 bit was causing too much headache for them the real reason was this! It's kind of too good to be true how much more stable 64 bit is in this version of KSP and I'm starting to wonder just how much of the issues really are from the Unity engine itself and not just problems with code on Squad's end. Anyways I wanna see later if I can replicate the crash and if so I will update you guys. Fly safe everyone!

WARNING TO TROLLERS: This is a friendly post for people wanting to help the 64 bit cause because KSP needs 64 bit to be a finished game! If you are against it and wish to just mock us then just stay out of this thread! You know who you are and your hate is not welcome here! And if you are a modder who disables on win64 bit than most likely that means you as well unless you have something helpful to add! Thank you and fly safe everyone! :cool:

I had my first crash too, but i was pushing it as well

I have 8gb Ram, and while playing KSP at max graphics inc texture replacements etc noted earlier in my reply,

I was also running alot of chrome pages, and streaming youtube vids on a second screen,

I was hovering at 500-800mb system Ram free, eventually screen locked up.

after reboot i just ran KSP only, and was hovering with 1.2-2gb free RAM and no crash,

ran out of RAM, guess i should up it from 8 to 16, but im ok with running lean and use my laptop instead for streaming and browsing.

Guest cheesehelmetbiscuitbarrel

If anyone is after getting Kerbal Joint Reinforcement usable on 64 bit Windows, it's blocked in the build by the devs - as they didn't / don't want to support it until there's an official release of 64bit KSP for Windows

But I removed the block in the source code, recompiled - and replacing the KerbalJointReinforcement.dll with the one in the link below should work for you...

Myself and the devs of this awesome mod won't be able to support you though!

Here's the link to the dll

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpbr9fr3lq1k80q/KerbalJointReinforcement.dll?dl=0

This is the source code

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvgq9xh5sukf8gb/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement-master.zip?dl=0

Licensed under GNU GPL v3

Edited by cheesehelmetbiscuitbarrel

If anyone is after getting Kerbal Joint Reinforcement usable on 64 bit Windows, it's blocked in the build by the devs - as they didn't / don't want to support it until there's an official release of 64bit KSP for Windows

But I removed the block in the source code, recompiled - and replacing the KerbalJointReinforcement.dll with the one in the link below should work for you...

Myself and the devs of this awesome mod won't be able to support you though!

Here's the link to the dll

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpbr9fr3lq1k80q/KerbalJointReinforcement.dll?dl=0

This is the source code

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qvgq9xh5sukf8gb/Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement-master.zip?dl=0

Licensed under GNU GPL v3

Thanks!! This was the main reason I went back to 32-bit. I'm running KJR under 64 bit using your .dll and so far it's rock steady.

Edited by Jim Kernan

Drat, nuFAR disables itself as well. Ferram seems to be taking every precaution, even though there is no official 64bit build, not to have those false bug reports. Y'know what, though... I don't seem to be getting any weirdness specific to 64-bit.

That is, until I tried to install the mod.

Ohhhh buddy! I can't wait to implement this workaround. I'm using .90 x64 right now.

Has anyone been able to use Procedural Parts and Real Fuels in 1.0 64 bit?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes but it is pointless, they support only an unmodded installation however if you begin to use mods and you reach the 4GB limit it is as unstable as the Windows 64bit version.

However it is more difficult to reach 4GB under Linux because of OpenGL. Also overall performance under Linux is not as good as on Windows.

Creating a dual boot just to run one game in linux on my gaming/HTPC/work/school computer is simply impracticable. That is why I'm sticking with Windows KSP x64. I use my computer for multiple things at a time so booting to another OS just to run a game is not feasible for me.

Can confirm that this workaround works other than the KSC facilities upgrade/downgrade bug. But that's very minor compared to the huge benefit of stability. My RAM usage is well over 4GB and no crash yet. It gets a bit unresponsive in VAB but that may be due to the overall high RAM usage with other programs as I only have 8GB RAM in total in my rig.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.