[1.12.x] Mk2 Expansion v1.9.1 [update 10/5/21]

@iammr_schuck; The white models are a result of KSP not loading the textures, which, for but a few exceptions, are all stock textures referenced via MODEL nodes in the .cfgs. So the first question is did you delete parts from squad folder? If you haven't touched the squad folder, can you post your KerbalSpaceProgram/KSP_Data/output_log.txt?

@robson1000: Arg, don't know how I missed that flipped texture. Thanks for pointing it out!

@More Boosters;

1) I can see how it would be a useful end-of-tech-tree sort of thing, but I'm not totally sold on adding one, so maybe?

2) I'm experimenting around with some spaceplane SRB concepts, so next update will feature some sort of solid rocket option

3) The Stork example craft and the linear aerospike do this already, although I'm guessing you are after something with more thrust? If so, given the other LF/O engines planned, it shouldn't be too difficult to fit in.

@iammr_schuck; The white models are a result of KSP not loading the textures, which, for but a few exceptions, are all stock textures referenced via MODEL nodes in the .cfgs. So the first question is did you delete parts from squad folder? If you haven't touched the squad folder, can you post your KerbalSpaceProgram/KSP_Data/output_log.txt?

@robson1000: Arg, don't know how I missed that flipped texture. Thanks for pointing it out!

@More Boosters;

1) I can see how it would be a useful end-of-tech-tree sort of thing, but I'm not totally sold on adding one, so maybe?

2) I'm experimenting around with some spaceplane SRB concepts, so next update will feature some sort of solid rocket option

3) The Stork example craft and the linear aerospike do this already, although I'm guessing you are after something with more thrust? If so, given the other LF/O engines planned, it shouldn't be too difficult to fit in.

Did you make up your mind on the *real* tricoupler? Also some guy in my other thread mentioned a 2.5m to 2 x mk2 adapter; that might be pretty cool too.

@More Boosters; The next update will include 1.25m tricouplers. The 2.5m - 2x mk2 adapter is a maybe.

I see.

Well, you already have the EnrichedUranium-using nuclear reactor, so Alcubierre Drive and Hydrolox engines aren't going to break anything here in the sense that there are already non-stock mechanics added.

Did you consider a Mk2 ISRU at some point?

Edit: Would you consider making the textures on the junction adapters more stockalike? They feel rather out of place. Being able to fill them with fuel would be great as well.

Edited by More Boosters

@More Boosters; I'll include a hydrolox engine config MM patch that will allow players to toggle between LF/O and LH2/O modes on appropriate engines for the next update, as well as updating the IFS MM patch to expand the tank lineup and add a LH2 option. The Alcubierre drive I'll have to take a look at how other mods do them, but I have some ideas about how to fit one into a mk2 hull.

Have I considered ISRU?

xM3AhpG.png Early WIP screenshot. As can be seen, they aren't ready for release yet, mainly since documentation on making drills is basically non-existent as far as I can tell, leading to brute-force trial and error troubleshooting; there will be much rejoicing when trouble has been shot.

The nest update will have an ISRU focus, with ore storage, mining and processing parts, along with things like LF/O VTOL engines for mining ops on airless worlds.

As for the hubs, the current textures do stand out; reworking them wouldn't be too hard.

@More Boosters; I'll include a hydrolox engine config MM patch that will allow players to toggle between LF/O and LH2/O modes on appropriate engines for the next update, as well as updating the IFS MM patch to expand the tank lineup and add a LH2 option. The Alcubierre drive I'll have to take a look at how other mods do them, but I have some ideas about how to fit one into a mk2 hull.

Have I considered ISRU?

http://i.imgur.com/xM3AhpG.png Early WIP screenshot. As can be seen, they aren't ready for release yet, mainly since documentation on making drills is basically non-existent as far as I can tell, leading to brute-force trial and error troubleshooting; there will be much rejoicing when trouble has been shot.

The nest update will have an ISRU focus, with ore storage, mining and processing parts, along with things like LF/O VTOL engines for mining ops on airless worlds.

As for the hubs, the current textures do stand out; reworking them wouldn't be too hard.

This keeps getting better and better! I had no idea the Mk2 form factor had so much potential.

Though I couldn't find the conformal solar panels on the utility section, wasn't the last release supposed to add them?

@KroShan; Looking at the CKAN github repository, it looks like the mk2expansion.netkan update is still in the pull request queue, and it will probably get processed in the next few days.

@More Boosters; Yeah, I've been surprised at what I can do with the mk2 formfactor. Pity Mk3 is sort of boring by comparison. For the solar panel, it's named 'Mk2 Shrouded Solar Panel' and, at least on my test copy of KSP, is next to the Mk2 Service bay; it's sort of a whitish rectangle.

I've been using this mod for a while, but one thing has always bugged me. The Vector turbojet is extremely weak. It isn't even as strong as 2 basic jets, and that means that it's only useful on really small planes. I'd suggest buffing it to at leas the 600 thrust range, which is still not even the power of one normal turbojet. Possibly turn down the ISP if that seems a bit OP.

@Dman1791;The engines have different thrustcurves - a 'Vector' will get you supersonic, 2 'Wheesley' engines won't. Also, where are you getting your thrust numbers from? The 'Vector' produces 140 kN, the stock turbojet only produces 130 kN; 600 kN for the 'Vector' would put it on par with the 'Skipper' rocket engine.

@sebi.zzr; Given how landing legs work in KSP, at present, no. Feet will only rotate around one axis; the only way to have feet that rotate sideways like that would be to have a second landing leg part configured for sideways mounting. However, once 1.1 comes out and and modders can explore how the new wheel/leg system works and is configured, a multi-axis foot joints might be possible.

@sebi.zzr; Given how landing legs work in KSP, at present, no. Feet will only rotate around one axis; the only way to have feet that rotate sideways like that would be to have a second landing leg part configured for sideways mounting. However, once 1.1 comes out and and modders can explore how the new wheel/leg system works and is configured, a multi-axis foot joints might be possible.

How about some more exotic stuff?

1. A LANTR engine in the Mk2 form factor, basically that nuke engine from Atomic Age that is lighter, less efficient and can punch in LOX for a reduced ISP but reduced LF consumption rate and higher thrust.

2. A gas-core closed-cycle nuclear thermal rocket, basically a nuclear lightbulb.

3. Nuclear ramjet for high performance at non-oxygenated atmospheres. I'm not sure how you would balance it but if you can balance a nuclear lightbulb this shouldn't be too hard either.

4. Air-augmented rocket engines, which draw air for higher ISP

My only problem with this mod is that its bundled version of interstellar fuel switch conflicts with the full interstellar fuel switch causing neither that nor mk2 expansion to work. The fuel switching totally breaks and most mk2 expansion parts disappear. Is the version that comes with this modified or not because if it isn't I suggest removing it from the CKAN download and making the full interstellar fuel switch mod a dependency or at least recommended. If it is modified maybe you could try to find a way to stop them conflicting or something.

If I'm totally wrong about anything in that paragraph then sorry. The mod doesn't work on my other CKAN managed ksp either and I don't think that has IFS so maybe it's just CKAN. It works fine when installed on a clean ksp from the kerbalstuff download.

EDIT: When I tried installing it rather than just updating it I noticed that IFS is already a dependency so maybe the problem was to do with updating on CKAN not working out dependencies properly.

EDIT 2: CKAN is conflicting with thumbs.db in the @thumbs folder now so idk whether it actually works or not.

Edited by volcanicshrimp
further research

I seem to be having a problem, all the parts in this pack (with the exception of engines) have the max temperature set to 933.15 (exactly). Is this normal or is some other mod messing with the max temperatures?

I was hoping that moving from 1.5 to 1.6 would fix it, but no joy.

I have tried both manually installed and CKAN and it doesn't seem to make a difference. The parts are all there and they all work correctly and I have all the dependencies installed, I think I have everything installed right.

The engines all have max temps in the 2000-2500 range which seems 'normal'. 933.15 makes re-entry a not be a thing :(

I play on Linux (64 bit) so, I have a 'few' mods installed. Anyone got any idea what could be causing the problem? I do not have DRE installed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

@sebi.zzr; Yes, I can do that.

@More Boosters; A LANTR is possible, the gas-core probably not; it doesn't seem the sort of thing that would convert to mk2 - the closest would probably be 1.25m sized GC with a mk2 mount. Don't know about the nuke ramjet, but I'd be willing to buff the Rontgen. Air-augmented rocket engines are being experimented with, and will likely show up in some form.

@volcanicshrimp; I think CKAN updated its install stanza syntax lately, so that might be the root of the issue. If its conflicting with the @thumbs I think I might know whats going on, but can't say for sure - if I'm right, I should be able to fix it in the next day or so.

@Stained_Axe; The lowered temps are from the DRE compatibility MM patch, but that shouldn't trigger unless you actually have DRE installed. The easiest work around is to simply delete the Mk2Expansion/patches/M2X_DRE.cfg MM patch

Just updated on CKAN. Loaded game. All ships using parts from this mod did not load. SPH and VAB missing all parts from this mod. Checked what and how CKAN installed the mod and found that inside the Mk2Expansion folder was a Gamedata and Save folder. Files were not put where they were supposed to. If this was already mentioned, sorry. :o

@Xyster; A save folder was inside the Mk2Expansion? That definitely isn't working as it should - looking at the netkan there's no mention of a save folder, and the mk2expansion folder should be going into gamedata... Hmm. I'm getting a slightly clearer idea of what might be happening, but won't be able to test my suspicion (and hopefully fix the CKAN issue) until tomorrow.

@Elith; The dependency is new with 1.6, since its now doing some things besides providing fuel tank options. I'm fairly certain the mod won't break if it's not there, but you'll lose some part functionality.

@SuicidalInsantiy -- CKAN seemed to drop the GameData and Ships folders into the GameData/Mk2Expansion, rather than up two levels so they could integrate properly. It worked fine for the previous version.

--also it seems like there was a further GameData/CommunityResourcePack within the newly contained gamedata folder. Rather self-recursive!

Edited by Beetlecat

Seems any newly installed mod will automatically gets into that folder rather than the real root. There's a InterstellarFuelSwitchCore update I picked up and CKAN claims I have the update but in game it says I need update. Look at it and it turns out it goes into mk2expansion. This is definitely not good - the CKAN config has to be fixed/rolled back.

@volcanicshrimp; I think CKAN updated its install stanza syntax lately, so that might be the root of the issue. If its conflicting with the @thumbs I think I might know whats going on, but can't say for sure - if I'm right, I should be able to fix it in the next day or so.

It's not the stanza. You renamed the top folder inside the .zip from Mk2Expansion-1.6 to Mk2Expansion.

This made it match

[TABLE="class: highlight tab-size js-file-line-container"]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line"] "install" : [[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-num js-line-number, align: right"][/TD]
[TD="class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line"] {[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line"] "find" : "Mk2Expansion",[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line"] "install_to" : "GameData"[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line"] },[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

sticking the whole thing as a subdir in gamedata.

Just renaming that, or not using a root folder altogether and just dumping the subfolders into the .zip would help.

Please release soon :D

Edit:

Old match: Mk2_Stock-a-like_Expansion-1.6.05.zip\Mk2Expansion-1.6\GameData\Mk2Expansion

New match: Mk2_Stock-a-like_Expansion-1.6.05.zip\Mk2Expansion\GameData\Mk2Expansion

My proposals: Mk2_Stock-a-like_Expansion-1.6.06.zip\Mk2_Stock-a-like_Expansion\GameData\Mk2Expansion

OR: Mk2_Stock-a-like_Expansion-1.6.06.zip\GameData\Mk2Expansion

- - - Updated - - -

In case you won't do this for a while, I posted the fix I used for myself up at NetKAN. - https://github.com/KSP-CKAN/NetKAN/pull/2383

Mind you, this locks you to always using "GameData\Mk2Expansion" inside your .zip

.zip\Mk2Expansion would no longer match, if you ever decide for that to be the desired behavior.

Edited by qm3ster