[DEVTHREAD]Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Hmm. What counts as a surface scan to unlock core samples? I've got a TERRAIN probe in orbit and ran the geosurvey. Also ran a low-res ScanSat scan using the radar scanner.

Great question. :) The way it works is you can use either the TERRAIN or the stock M700 orbital scanner to unlock the planet, then use the stock surface scanner or the geology lab to unlock the biome. Basically, Pathfinder uses the stock system to unlock resources. Here is a link from the wiki page: https://github.com/Angel-125/Pathfinder/wiki/Scanning-For-Resources-In-Pathfinder

Get the latest here.

The Buffalo gets new wheels! The stock-based RoveMax M1A1 wheels were always interim placeholders, but now the Buffalo has its real wheels. The new M1A1 Mountain Goat is inspired by the wheels found on NASA’s MMSEV but they have been brought inline with the KSP art style. The current stock-based wheel will be going away. They are deprecated in this release (existing craft won’t break but you won’t find the wheels in the catalog) and it will be removed at a later date, so be sure to retrofit or retire your rovers that have the older wheels.

New Parts

- Added the Patio, a 3.75m muncrete slab that's useful for making landing pads and foundations for bases on uneven terrain. You can clip slabs together to form larger areas. To use it, bolt it into the ground NOTE: This is an experimental part, use at your own risk.

- Added the M1A1 Mountain Goat. The M1A1 can switch between a wide wheelbase for normal driving, and a narrow wheelbase to get in and out of cargo bays. And to top it off, it has sound effects if you have the Wheel Sounds mod installed. Thanks for the suggestion, Supermarine! :)

- Added the Tundra 200 and Tundra 400. These are conformal storage tanks for the Buffalo that are intended for ground and aerospace craft. Unlike the Wagon, they do not expand, but you can attach other parts to them.

Gold Digger

- Lowered EC requirements for the Gold Digger to reflect its lower efficiency compared to the stock Drill-O-Matic.

Buffalo Command Cab

- Increased storage slots slightly.

Interim Rover Wheel

- The existing stock-based rover wheel has been deprecated in favor of the new M1A1 Mountain Goat. Be sure to retrofit your rovers.

Other

- Moved the Mineshaft, Capstone, and Switchback to the Structural tab (they are still found under the Pathfinder category as well).

- Moved the part config files to the new Parts directory, organized by tab. Textures and mesh files remain in the Assets folder.

Bug Fixes

- The greenhouse will now retain its resources when you switch away from the vessel and switch back.

- The Spyglass can now attach KAS pipes.

- The Watney Rainmaker no longer complains about a lack of Oxidizer or MonoPropellant (you might need to transfer some into the Doc).

- Fixed GeoEnergy resource distribution for Eeloo. Thanks for pointing it out, CyberFoxx! :)

- The Switchback's KIS storage capacity is now available from inside your base as well as during EVA.

Get the latest here.

New Part

- Added the Smoke Pipe portable cooling tower. It is good at radiating heat. Be sure to keep it charged with electricity and fill it with water; it needs both.

Gold Digger

- Increased efficiency on the drill, but it now also generates heat. Be sure to plan accordingly.

Hacienda

- Added the Claw Marks Strip Miner. Credit goes to AdmiralTigerclaw for the concept, thanks AdmiralTigerclaw! :)

Hot Springs

- The Hot Springs now generates heat. Be sure to plan accordingly.

Sunburn Lab

- Added Ore, Water, and Minerals resources to help with conversions.

Pigpen

- Added Organics, Ore, and Minerals resources.

Flatbeds

- Removed KIS part mount module; it was only applicable to a small number of parts.

- You can now surface-attach parts to the flatbeds.

Buckboards

- Anybody can now stack Buckboards.

Other

- Added ability to switch between different resources to the stock shuttle and airliner wings.

- Increased breaking torque and breaking force on all base parts.

- Updated to KSP 1.0.5

Bug Fixes

- The TERRAIN satellite will now benefit from Antenna Range if installed.

- Added missing resources to the Brew Works.

3AQbPEZ.png

Get the latest here.

- Increased the node size on all the base attachment nodes.

Chuckwagon

- Moved center of mass for the Chuckwagon to the center of the dome.

- Adjusted storage capacity after taking a closer look at the mesh's volume. No more Tardis Chuckwagon...

Bug Fixes

- You can now carry the Smoke Pipe.

- Some inflatable modules have resources that are kept even when switching templates. Now, those resources won't be affected by the part being inflated or deflated.

I am finding that the new 3.75m experimental muncrete slabs are suffering from the bounce on load bug.

I built a large base on a 5x15 muncrete patio.

When I flew in with some more supplies the hole thing kicked like a wave flinging the entire base and a couple of kerbals on the patio about 500m into the air and exploding a few of the slabs.

I am using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement if that helps.

[quote name='bazz']I am finding that the new 3.75m experimental muncrete slabs are suffering from the bounce on load bug.

I built a large base on a 5x15 muncrete patio.

When I flew in with some more supplies the hole thing kicked like a wave flinging the entire base and a couple of kerbals on the patio about 500m into the air and exploding a few of the slabs.

I am using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement if that helps.[/QUOTE]
That could be the local terrain. Some areas are fine, others not so much. Unfortunately it's hit or miss; I have two test bases on Duna, for instance, and one is solidly attached to the ground while the other needs to rest on the surface without being attached. It's an ongoing struggle to find something that works well in all situations so for now, if you notice your base getting jumpy after timewarps, don't just immediately stop the timewarp, give the game time to lower the warp down to 5x and then ease back into 1x.

Meanwhile, progress! :)
[img]http://i.imgur.com/4FaZHtz.jpg[/img]

What happens if you land a craft on the ground and just surface attach the Pathfinder modules to it? Do you get the exploive bade issue as well? I am also starting to think that many locations are not suited to large bases, and you need clusters of smaller bases with some kind of resource distribution. Maybe have some expandable camper shell for the Buffalo that serves as a foundation for the base with an adapter for the other modules..

[quote name='MaverickSawyer']Sign me up![/QUOTE]
It's definitely getting there, I have more work to do before it's ready. But the engine effects are where I want them, and the hover system is working, though it tends to rev the engines. For an initial release that's ok, but I want a steady engine thrust. It also has issues with holding its pitch, but that too can be overcome with some finesse. And You can't just strap the wings on your back via KIS and fly away; I haven't figured out how to point straight with stability assist because kerbals on EVA don't "fly" the same as an aircraft. And I am cleaning up the context menu...

All that said, it flies, it can hover, it can make precision landings thanks to its RCS thrusters, and you can switch between LiquidFuel/IntakeAir for great range on Kerbin and Laythe, or MonoPropellant for mediocre range on Duna and Eve. And it has accessories that can be attached via KIS. Hopefully it is a worthy successor to the discontinued KerbolQuest winged jet pack...

I'll be needing test pilots soon... :) Edited by Angel-125

Hmmm... Ducted fans might be useful on Eve, instead of monoprop...

Wait. No, I got a better idea. Monoprop turbofan. Use the monoprop as part of a gas generator, flow it across a power turbine that drives a larger fan. :cool: BAM. Significant performance boost.

[quote name='Whizzkid']Does this work ok with 1.0.5? Sorry if it has already been asked.[/QUOTE]
Yup! It works just fine in KSP 1.0.5.

[quote name='Gaultesian']Wow, this personal wing would make searching and moving on Duna (will the air pressure be ok?), Laythe and EVE super fun![/QUOTE]
Exactly. :) The air pressure is fine, I've tested the wing on Duna as well as Kerbin. On Kerbin I can reach about 15k in altitude.

[quote name='MaverickSawyer']Hmmm... Ducted fans might be useful on Eve, instead of monoprop...

Wait. No, I got a better idea. Monoprop turbofan. Use the monoprop as part of a gas generator, flow it across a power turbine that drives a larger fan. :cool: BAM. Significant performance boost.[/QUOTE]
The JetWing is capable of using monopropellant/atmosphere or liquid fuel/intake air, with mono propellant providing its own oxygen at reduced performance compared to liquid fuel. It also hovers, complete with jet engine-powered RCS for precision landings. The approach may lead to other parts in the future...

I was testing things out over the weekend; it's definitely flyable and has pretty good range. Some compromises had to be made though; the wing has a parachute accessory, but I haven't had any luck making it useable as an individual KIS part that you can strap to your back and jump out of an aircraft with. If you strap it to the back of the wing, however, you're fine. The initial prototype will take some creativity to use properly (hence the experimental stripes on the top of the wing), but hopefully later revisions will improve things. That's where I'm needing help. Ideal test pilots will be unafraid to dive into the config files and tweak values to test performance improvements and then post their results. Anyway, the next batch of updates will be available soon. Edited by Angel-125

Get the latest [URL="https://github.com/Angel-125/Pathfinder/releases/tag/0.9.4"]here[/URL].

0.9.4 Believe it or Not
The Greatest American Hero Theme Song - Believe it or Not

Now you can fly around any planet that has an atmosphere with a personal jet-powered wing! It works similarly to a command seat; just drop it on the ground (be careful, some terrain is explosive), right-click to board it, then rotate upright. Alternately, bolt it to the side of a craft, board, and decouple. The wing can be used on any planet with an atmosphere thanks to its monopropellant-powered jet engines. Just don't expect terrific range, unless you switch to liquid fuel and fly in an oxygenated atmosphere like Kerbin or Laythe. JetWing is inspired by JetMan Yves Rossy and the defunct KerbolQuest winged jetpack. The JetWing and its accessories work best with Kerbal Inventory System and either GoodSpeed Fuel Pump or TAC Fuel Balancer.

In addition to the Jetwing, this release also introduces the M1A2 Grizzly, a larger wheel than the Mountain Goat that has a wider wheelbase and better traction. This all comes at the expense of not being able to enter and exit Mk3 cargo bays, however.

Finally, there were some big changes to OSE Workshop and the Community Resource Pack recently, and Pathfinder has been updated to reflect the changes. You might find prospecting a lucrative business if you bring stuff home...

NOTE: Due to changes in OSE Workshop, you can no longer switch between MaterialKits and RocketParts. However, the Ironworks still has converters that switch between

RocketParts and MaterialKits. Additionally, OSE Workshop's changes now require ExoticMinerals and RareMetals for some parts, so plan accordingly.

New Parts
- Added the M1A2 Grizzly.
- Added the JetWing.
- Added the JetWing Drop Tank. Works great with Good Speed Fuel Pump or TAC Fuel Balancer.
- Added the JetWing Parachute. Like the Outback, it can be attached to the JetWing.
- Added the JetWing Cargo Pallet. Mount these to the wing's hardpoints and you can surface-attach small items.

JetWing Flight controls
Insert: Toggle VTOL mode
PageUp: Increase vertical speed
PageDown: Decrease vertical speed
Delete: Reset vertical speed to zero
Gear: Toggle kickstand

Outback
- Moved the Outback from Pathfinder to the Buffalo mod.

Storage Templates
- Added ExoticMinerals template.
- Added RareMetals template.

Blacksmith
- Removed ability to switch between RocketParts and MaterialKits.
- Updated production requirements to latest OSE Workshop standards.

Clockworks
- Removed ability to switch between RocketParts and MaterialKits.
- Updated production requirements to latest OSE Workshop standards.
- Added converter to sift Dirt into ExoticMinerals and RareMetals.

Pathfinder Geology Lab
- Added converter to sift Dirt into ExoticMinerals and RareMetals. It isn't as efficient as the converter in the Clockworks but it gets the job done.

Bug Fixes
- The Greenhouse will now properly account for the current crewmember residing in the module.
- If you have Extraplanetary Launchpads installed, when making RocketParts, excess ScrapMetal will be dumped instead of halting RocketPart creation.
- The Smoke Pipe should inflate properly now, and its active cooling can be enabled/disabled.

Other
- Updated to latest CRP
- Updated to latest OSE Workshop.
- Adjusted maximum stored resources by module. Ponderosa/Casa: 2000, Doc: 3000, Hacienda/Homestead: 4000

I'm curious about MKS compatibility with this mod. In my last install, the Wild Blue Industries mod was more of an alternative parts pack for MKS / OKS (which I loved), containing all of the same functionality with fewer and (IMHO) better looking parts. Now, more than a year later, it appears that this has gone on to develop its own identity, which is great, but since I'm looking to develop more permanent bases (my current career goal is to plant a permanent colony on every solid body), for which MKS is designed, I'm wondering if there is any integration between the two. I have done some reading through the thread, and there is some mention of MKS / Pathfinder integration, but as near as I can tell, it hasn't gone anywhere as of yet. Am I correct in this assessment, or has the integration been successful and my search-fu skills simply lacking?

In addition, has anyone worked up a configuration that would allow this to be use with Real Fuels rather than the stock liquid fuel, oxidizer, and monopropellant resources? I always run RF because of the extra realism and layer of complexity involved, so storage units which can only hold the stock fuels wouldn't do me much good.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Didn't work Manage Operations button in  context menu or rather its not present in building (vab/sph) mode.And in game mode ponderosa Inflate button its not present in consequence.

pictures

mods installed

1.KIS/KAS

2.Buffalo: NASA Inspired MSEV

3.Pathfinder 0.9.4

4.Wild Blue Tools

5.MCM

6-99 others mods

Edited by zvergk