Ask the Mods questions about the Forums!

Dman979

2 hours ago, Maximus97 said:

Well said, a much more in-depth answer than I could come up with :P

The Rocket Builders subforum was a thread were players essentially had threads dedicated to their own rocket or aerospace company. I'm not entirely sure of all the reasons behind it, because I'm pretty sure the subform was taken out before I became a moderator, but I believe it had something to do with the roleplay rules. It became a little difficult to moderate properly.

I say the RP reason was just the smallest of the reasons (PERSONALLY). The largest was the occasional user conflicts.

Hey, I asked a question too! :)

15 hours ago, cubinator said:

When one posts something, then posts again a short while later on the same thread, the forum automagically merges the two posts if no one has replied in between. What's the time threshold for it doing this? Is it one minute? Five? Sometimes I feel rushed to finish my second post before it decides not to merge them, but I don't know how long I have.

2 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Hey, I asked a question too! :)

I'm not precisely sure, but I wanna say maybe... 20 minutes? I know that I don't think its any more than an hour. I'm not entirely certain on it. However, multiple responses by the same person in a row that aren't merged automatically can still be subject to be merged depending on if the moderator decides to or not. Usually it's best to just leave them be, though.

I happened to notice, some posts with random KSP-related acronyms and stuff have dotted lines under them (like the ones where you hover the mouse over them and find the full name, I'm on an IPad so I can't hover over them). Is this autocorrection or something?

Ill test: KSC

Yep, it is. When was this added?

Edited by RA3236

16 minutes ago, RA3236 said:

I happened to notice, some posts with random KSP-related acronyms and stuff have dotted lines under them (like the ones where you hover the mouse over them and find the full name, I'm on an IPad so I can't hover over them). Is this autocorrection or something?

Ill test: KSC

Yep, it is. When was this added?

Kasper began implementing this on Monday: 

is it possible to augment the browser's auto-correction feature from the forum's side? it would be great if kerbal and rocket science jargon would be auto corrected and accordingly not marked if correct. (while writing this "kerbal" is marked as wrong. herbal, kernal and verbal are the suggestions :rolleyes:)

19 hours ago, MircoMars said:

is it possible to augment the browser's auto-correction feature from the forum's side? it would be great if kerbal and rocket science jargon would be auto corrected and accordingly not marked if correct. (while writing this "kerbal" is marked as wrong. herbal, kernal and verbal are the suggestions :rolleyes:)

Sorry, no. That is all done client-side and outside of our influence, you need to add the desired words to your local dictionary. Most browsers handle this easily, just right-click a word the spell checker is complaining about and select "Add to dictionary".

32 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Sorry, no.

what a pity, that would have been a great feature for the forum. perhaps we should persuade google, apple and mozilla to add "english (rocket science)" to their official languages... :wink: 

I'm pretty certain I posted a question here earlier today, then answered it myself after a minute or so of thought, then edited it to say "removed". Now it's gone. Do mods prune away posts that have been edited to say "removed", "removed by author", etc.? Also, can mods see the edit history of a post?

9 hours ago, cubinator said:

I'm pretty certain I posted a question here earlier today, then answered it myself after a minute or so of thought, then edited it to say "removed". Now it's gone. Do mods prune away posts that have been edited to say "removed", "removed by author", etc.? Also, can mods see the edit history of a post?

Yes, such posts are removed if noticed as they interrupt the flow of conversation. 

Yes, moderators can see the edit history of posts. It's important for us to do be able to, as someone could post something very inflammatory or insulting, wait for the inevitable heated response, then edit their post to something innocuous and claim innocence.

7 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Yes, moderators can see the edit history of posts. It's important for us to do be able to, as someone could post something very inflammatory or insulting, wait for the inevitable heated response, then edit their post to something innocuous and claim innocence.

That's good.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, legoclone09 said:

What did happen to that Kerbal Klub thread I saw two months ago or so? I looked for it a week after it was posted and couldn't find it anymore.

It had... issues. It is no more. 

(Please don't ask. Confidentiality of moderation actions and whatnot.) 

I have a question - earlier today I was cleaning my computer desk and found an old post it note from 2012 when I first registered with the forum. Could I get a mod to check to make sure that my original user name, adsii, is indeed, no longer there? I can give you the email address it is associated with, if needed...

If it is there, please delete it... I'll stick with this one and no, I do not want this name changed to that one.

Edited by adsii1970

29 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

There is no member account under that name, new or old, @adsii1970

@Vanamonde: Thank you for looking that up for me. As I mentioned in the posting, I found a post it note with KSP Forum, then that user name and a password. I did try to log on, and got an error message. I was hoping that was the case and as I mentioned before, I had to recreate a new login for the forum in October of 2013; apparently my user name was one of the victims of the great forum fiasco of 2012!

I just didn't want to risk the dreaded FORUM VIOLATION message for having two accounts. Thanks again.