[1.10.1+] Contract Pack: Field Research [v1.2.2] [2020-09-20]

nightingale

20 minutes ago, DMagic said:

@nightingale What does the config consist of?

The SIGINT scan and the two spy telescopes use only two biomes, northern and southern hemisphere (too much science and too many science results for full biomes :P), and they work as InSpaceLow from 5X the normal altitude.

The DMOS config currently lives here.  Most of the experiments just have an empty entry (to quiet warnings), although some have special flags to identify whether they are valid or not in certain custom situations (like requiring an atmosphere).

Until I get some documentation done, you can at least see the valid fields in the code here.  The config serves a few purposes:

1. To tie experiments to parts (to determine if the appropriate tech for performing an experiment has been unlocked).
  2. To tie experiments to building unlocks (again to see if it's unlocked)
  3. To support mods that make special situation/biome/body exclusions/inclusions in their own code so that Contract Configurator contracts don't show invalid ones (in your case that'd be stuff like a Bio Drill experiment on the Mun).
  4. To completely exclude experiments that are just too specialized

For stuff like the SIGINT scan I'd be inclined to just set ignored=true to prevent it from showing up (as supporting the special biomes would be more work, and you have your own contracts anyway).

Oh, and as far as the config files go, there's no special location or file names needed - just the config node names need to be correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @nightingale

So I added your mod after I already got a bunch of science using contracts and the money to science thing. So at this point running around kerbin for science isn't exactly worth it, is there a way I can tell field science that I have collected all the science on Kerbin or just not offer me contracts on Kerbin. I might just start a new game, I kinda cheesed it by doing a huge amount of suborbital tourism contracts lol. 

Thanks

23 hours ago, PortableGoogle said:

Hi @nightingale

So I added your mod after I already got a bunch of science using contracts and the money to science thing. So at this point running around kerbin for science isn't exactly worth it, is there a way I can tell field science that I have collected all the science on Kerbin or just not offer me contracts on Kerbin. I might just start a new game, I kinda cheesed it by doing a huge amount of suborbital tourism contracts lol. 

Thanks

I forget exactly the condition, but when you go interplanetary it'll stop offering a lot of the Kerbin contracts.  Also, it should only offer contracts for which there is still science available, so you would have to otherwise hack that in your save file.

• 3 weeks later...

@nightingale I ran into an issue where field research contracts aren't completing properly again, not sure what is causing it. I took this contract to do science around the KSC:

TlAJruO.jpg

And did the experiments, but only one of the 4 completed, the other 3 didn't:

hYeaT0b.jpg

and as you can see, I did do the experiments. I have provided the output log, so you can look and see if you see where something might have broken, as far as I am aware, all the mods are up to date: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d76hk1k3vwb8bax/AACSDWOsM36v4J1EaIerd8c0a?dl=0

@vardicd - You've got it the wrong way around - they all completed except the R&D one.  The R&D one doesn't have an entry in your science stuff, so I assume you didn't get that.  I do remember that there might've been an issue with the R&D science where it didn't work on some building levels, but I'm not 100% sure.  Can you confirm what level your R&D building is?  When you drive out there, what does the science popup say the biome is?  I also know for some levels (probably level 3) the different buildings have their own biomes, so you may have to stand not directly by a building.

2 hours ago, nightingale said:

@vardicd - You've got it the wrong way around - they all completed except the R&D one.  The R&D one doesn't have an entry in your science stuff, so I assume you didn't get that.  I do remember that there might've been an issue with the R&D science where it didn't work on some building levels, but I'm not 100% sure.  Can you confirm what level your R&D building is?  When you drive out there, what does the science popup say the biome is?  I also know for some levels (probably level 3) the different buildings have their own biomes, so you may have to stand not directly by a building.

Heh, I was getting ready for bed last night when I edited the pictures and typed that, so typed it wrong. oops. It was a Level 1 R and D. {starting facility} I don't remember what the pop up said, and looking back over these pictures, I think I need to not make bug reports while tired, as the R + D one is not showing in the science archive picture, so I may have simply not been in the right spot and thought I was. Will need to double check when I have more time and not exhausted. Sorry for wasting your time with this. :( ;.;

3 hours ago, Corovaneer said:

XUoEsmY.png

Atmosphere analysis can't be run in water, I think.

Also, text does not specify that the contract is at three locations, not just water in general.

You've cut out the flavour text, which has important information - it would read something like this:

They say there isn't much land at @biome. We've mapped out a few locations where there might be some. Find a suitable spot and run some experiments.

So the waypoints are just suggestions, and you can definitely do an atmosphere analysis while landed - the trick is in finding land in the water biome. :)

Hey, thanks for the great contract pack.

Today I started a new save with it. Completed the "find water in the desert and do science" contract, got the reward and then it popped up again later. I really dont want to repeat contracts. Is there a way to prevent this? Like if I use Science Full Reward mod or something?

Cheers

5 hours ago, Divstar said:

Hey, thanks for the great contract pack.

Today I started a new save with it. Completed the "find water in the desert and do science" contract, got the reward and then it popped up again later. I really dont want to repeat contracts. Is there a way to prevent this? Like if I use Science Full Reward mod or something?

Cheers

On phone so can't check right now, but I'm 99% sure that you'll only get contracts for science that isn't depleted, so yes, if you do use science full reward that would solve your issue, but you may still get repeats if there is more science to be done there. (different experiments)

4 hours ago, severedsolo said:

On phone so can't check right now, but I'm 99% sure that you'll only get contracts for science that isn't depleted, so yes, if you do use science full reward that would solve your issue, but you may still get repeats if there is more science to be done there. (different experiments)

Correct!

• 1 month later...

@nightingale Hello, love the contract pack.

I wanted to ask if there's a way to make the pack not disable the stock "Collect Science" contracts like it normally does, maybe through a config file or something...
I like your contracts but I also want to get the normal ones.

By the way, I think it would be a good idea for a future version to have this option in some kind of settings menu.

1 hour ago, SuperPudding said:

@nightingale Hello, love the contract pack.

I wanted to ask if there's a way to make the pack not disable the stock "Collect Science" contracts like it normally does, maybe through a config file or something...
I like your contracts but I also want to get the normal ones.

By the way, I think it would be a good idea for a future version to have this option in some kind of settings menu.

You can use the Contract Configurator settings menu (in the space centre scene) to re-enable them. :) 

@nightingale

4 hours ago, nightingale said:

You can use the Contract Configurator settings menu (in the space centre scene) to re-enable them. :)

I tried doing that but I think that when they're both active I still don't get "Collect Science" contracts. Besides everytime I enable or disable "Field Research" it toggles "Collect Science" (sometimes I enable or disable specific contract types during gameplay to get the contracts I want, for example disabling part testing to have a higher chance of getting important contracts).

The problem is that if I accept a stock "Collect Science" contract while "Field Research" is disabled and then enable "Field Research" it deletes my existing contract (since it disables the stock "Collect Science"). Is there any way around this?

Edited by SuperPudding

20 minutes ago, SuperPudding said:

@nightingale

I tried doing that but I think that when they're both active I still don't get "Collect Science" contracts. Besides everytime I enable or disable "Field Research" it toggles "Collect Science" (sometimes I enable or disable specific contract types during gameplay to get the contracts I want, for example disabling part testing to have a higher chance of getting important contracts).

The problem is that if I accept a stock "Collect Science" contract while "Field Research" is disabled and then enable "Field Research" it deletes my existing contract (since it disables the stock "Collect Science"). Is there any way around this?

Not currently, but Contract Configurator 1.15.x will be out on Friday with some significant changes that should make it so you never need to disable Field Research again (because doing so won't affect the stock generation at all).

• 3 weeks later...

There may be a problem with the KSC Science contract if it happens to pick the Dmagic Seismic Hammer as the hammer does not detect KSC biomes.

I do find the breifing a little confusing as it may say some like collect seismic data. The problem being that apart from stock I also have Dmagic and suface experiments that have seismic experiments so I was uncertain which one it wanted. I had to look into the persistence file to find out.

• 2 months later...

First of all a big thumb up for you great work on this series of mods!

Two days ago I took the challange to accept a rare science contract. Splash down at the Polar Ice Caps,  write a crew report, go on EVA and do a temperature reading. Didn't sound that hard. I managed to splash down close enough to the icy coast several times. But it did never fulfilled the contract. After a couple of failures I edited the craft exactly to the waypoints recomended. Nothing. By chance I recognized, the the biomes were no longer called Polar Caps but Northern or Southern Ice Shelves. Might that be an issue or am I just to dumb to hit the spot propperly?

Has anyone else expererienced a phenomenon like that?  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.