[1.10.1+] Contract Pack: Field Research [v1.2.2] [2020-09-20]

nightingale

Also is it possible to generate waypoints relatively close to each other? Because when playing on enlarged Kerbin scale it became too painful to collect science after 10,000-100,000 km voyage...

Personally, I find going to waypoints on Kerbin painful on the normal scale. There's isn't much I can do in the contract pack itself, as the contracts with waypoints only have one waypoint (otherwise I would group them better). A few ideas:

1. Install a mod that give multiple launch sites:

1. Kerbin-Side - This one actually adds quite a bit (different structures, etc), so if you're near the memory cap it could be an issue.
    2. KSC Switcher - The config file that it comes with is intended for RSS, but you can grab 5thHorseman's modified version here that removes the ones that end up in the ocean for Kerbin.

3. Chain the contracts with other stuff that you're doing in orbit, and then just land at/near the waypoint. Much easier than trying to fly there. This is really the way they were intended to be used, because flying long distances in stock is BORING.
    4. Make big suborbital jumps to the waypoint. Variation on the one above.

DMagic is another one where there are contracts that are part of the pack and therefore might be worth excluding.

DMagic is fine as far as I can tell. They're pretty lightweight and are often requested in stock satellite and survey contracts. There's also the Universal Storage solution for those who don't like balancing them manually :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am not sure if it is a bug or I am just doing it wrong. I tried to do the mission "Launch a new weather satellite" I set the weather core to the right module and frequency, and got the Satellite up to the correct geostationary orbit and got a green check on everything except having a line of sight to the weather station. But the weather station was nearly directly below me( I check to make sure it was not on the opposite side of the planet). What did I do wrong?

I am not sure if it is a bug or I am just doing it wrong. I tried to do the mission "Launch a new weather satellite" I set the weather core to the right module and frequency, and got the Satellite up to the correct geostationary orbit and got a green check on everything except having a line of sight to the weather station. But the weather station was nearly directly below me( I check to make sure it was not on the opposite side of the planet). What did I do wrong?

What you did wrong was playing with a different mod. I'm not familiar with that contract, but it's definitely not from Field Research! :)

What you did wrong was playing with a different mod. I'm not familiar with that contract, but it's definitely not from Field Research! :)

Hmm... A. Feel like an ass, sorry. B. if it is not your MOD I actually don't know which one it is since the only contract packs I have installed are Tourist pack, Space Station Pack and Field research pack. C. It is currently totally irrelevant since reverting my flight and relaunching on a slightly different trajectory fixed the problem. D. Still don't know what I did wrong the first time. E. Which brings me back to B. Since I don't know who to ask if I need help again. F. C'est la vie.

Edit: you should really include your round 8 mission pack in your signature. I know it was for fun and to save the round 8 but it is part of KSP history and YOU MADE it happen.

Edited by mcirish3

Hmm... A. Feel like an ass, sorry. B. if it is not your MOD I actually don't know which one it is since the only contract packs I have installed are Tourist pack, Space Station Pack and Field research pack. C. It is currently totally irrelevant since reverting my flight and relaunching on a slightly different trajectory fixed the problem. D. Still don't know what I did wrong the first time. E. Which brings me back to B. Since I don't know who to ask if I need help again. F. C'est la vie.

Edit: you should really include your round 8 mission pack in your signature. I know it was for fun and to save the round 8 but it is part of KSP history and YOU MADE it happen.

I thought Mission Controller 2 might've had something like that - but could be wrong.

Hehe, the signature is rather full, when I release my next thing (slowly making progress), I'm going to have to rework it anyway. ;)

Good guess - glad we got it narrowed down. :)

The reason I missed having it installed is it is not listed as a mod in the mod tracker I have installed.( I have no idea what the mod tracker is called) That and I have not played KSP for a few months so forgot how I had this install setup. Thanks for the help :).

Thanks for all these great contract packs. I have just a small question: In one of my "running experiments around KSC" type contracts I'm asked to also get a "core sample" from launch pad. I was doing fine till seeing this core sample experiment. What is that? Taking normal surface sample on launch pad didn't work. Thanks.

Edit: Finally I've found the gold-digger-drill (or something like that). I didn't see it, because it was in the utilities section instead of science section.

Edited by FX3
problem is solved, informing others

• 4 weeks later...
I found an issue with this mod, and RoverDude's mod, Sounding Rockets: [url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/102502[/url] The specific issue is, Sounding rockets adds a number of early game science 'packages' Field science detects these experiments, and asks for science recovery from an area around KSC, easily done, but if the experiment has already been run, and the science return is zero, the contract won't complete. I've had this pop up twice now, and had to cheat the contract into completion both times. I've double checked to be sure that I'm using the right experiment too, as the names can be confusing compared to the stop science modules, at least for me, and the in flight contract checker shows the results with a green checkmark, showing that it's right, but on recovery, the contract doesn't complete. I can provide pics, and logs if need be.

[quote name='vardicd']I found an issue with this mod, and RoverDude's mod, Sounding Rockets: [URL]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/102502[/URL] The specific issue is, Sounding rockets adds a number of early game science 'packages' Field science detects these experiments, and asks for science recovery from an area around KSC, easily done, but if the experiment has already been run, and the science return is zero, the contract won't complete. I've had this pop up twice now, and had to cheat the contract into completion both times. I've double checked to be sure that I'm using the right experiment too, as the names can be confusing compared to the stop science modules, at least for me, and the in flight contract checker shows the results with a green checkmark, showing that it's right, but on recovery, the contract doesn't complete. I can provide pics, and logs if need be.[/QUOTE]

Raised [[URL="https://github.com/jrossignol/ContractConfigurator/issues/361"]#361[/URL]]. Shouldn't need anything else, I just never specifically added support for the experiments in the sounding rockets mod. I'll take a look and figure out the best way to handle it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an issue with this which is causing me all sorts of headaches.

Most (if not all) of the missions want you to be in a specific biome.  Yet there isn't a mission to discover the biomes first.  I'm not sure if that is even possible.  I know about the cheat to show the biomes on the map, but shouldn't there be some sort of mission to discover them?   Also, showing the biomes on the map, doesn't show a key, so you have no idea what the colors really mean.

Edited by linuxgurugamer

47 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I have an issue with this which is causing me all sorts of headaches.

Most (if not all) of the missions want you to be in a specific biome.  Yet there isn't a mission to discover the biomes first.  I'm not sure if that is even possible.  I know about the cheat to show the biomes on the map, but shouldn't there be some sort of mission to discover them?   Also, showing the biomes on the map, doesn't show a key, so you have no idea what the colors really mean.

The problem is that biome discovery isn't really a thing in stock.  About the best I could do is not offer a biome they haven't already done science at, but if they've already been to a biome then there's probably not much science left.

The best modded solution is SCANsat.  It provides better maps (with a biome tooltip) and makes you work to get them by setting up scanning satellites.

2 hours ago, nightingale said:

The problem is that biome discovery isn't really a thing in stock.  About the best I could do is not offer a biome they haven't already done science at, but if they've already been to a biome then there's probably not much science left.

The best modded solution is SCANsat.  It provides better maps (with a biome tooltip) and makes you work to get them by setting up scanning satellites.

ok, but apparently the contract pack for SCANsat is not compatible yet with 1.0.5

11 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

ok, but apparently the contract pack for SCANsat is not compatible yet with 1.0.5

The contract pack for SCANsat will never be updated. DMagic incorporated my SCANSat Lite pack into SCANSat directly, so it's built in.

NIghtingale, perhaps an optional requirement for having done a Biome Scan on bodies other than Kerbin? (Kerbins biomes are quite easy to find even without ScanSat).

I forked Field Research to try and do this, it seems to me the simplest place to insert it is validBodies (because that already excludes Kerbin) but I can't find a ScanSatCoverage() method (or similar).

Edited by severedsolo

7 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

The contract pack for SCANsat will never be updated. DMagic incorporated my SCANSat Lite pack into SCANSat directly, so it's built in.

NIghtingale, perhaps an optional requirement for having done a Biome Scan on bodies other than Kerbin? (Kerbins biomes are quite easy to find even without ScanSat).

I forked Field Research to try and do this, it seems to me the simplest place to insert it is validBodies (because that already excludes Kerbin) but I can't find a ScanSatCoverage() method (or similar).

Oh, great!

Thanks for the info

8 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Looks like there isn't one.  Raised [#389].  If once that's done you're willing to do it and send me a pull request I'd be very pleased. :)

1 minute ago, nightingale said:

Looks like there isn't one.  Raised [#389].  If once that's done you're willing to do it and send me a pull request I'd be very pleased. :)

Yup no problem. Just give me a nudge when it's done (but I'll probably remember when I read the changelog for CC)

• 2 weeks later...

Am I supposed to get an identical contract available while I have the exact same one already active? I had the same thing with DMagics SCANsat, but he hasn't responded to my post yet. I'm using the latest version of this contract pack and contract configurator.

NVM, it's not EXACTLY the same, just a lot of overlap, though the SCANsat one was, aside from payout.

NeuCareer_screenshot_2015-12-21--20-18-2

NeuCareer_screenshot_2015-12-21--20-18-3

Edited by smjjames

2 hours ago, smjjames said:

Am I supposed to get an identical contract available while I have the exact same one already active? I had the same thing with DMagics SCANsat, but he hasn't responded to my post yet. I'm using the latest version of this contract pack and contract configurator.

NVM, it's not EXACTLY the same, just a lot of overlap, though the SCANsat one was, aside from payout.

<snip>

It's an easy fix to prevent those similar contracts, raised [#14].

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.