Master of Orion gets a remake

Awaras

Typical trailer. Tells you absolutely nothing about actual gameplay. However, the maneuvering might hint that it's some dumbed-down, action-oriented travesty. I'm not feeling terribly optimistic.

• 3 months later...
Now that we have a new gameplay trailer - and it caused some negative feedback from old fans (so I heard, did not have an opportunity to watch it myself), what are your thoughts?

The combat screen shown in the trailer was disappointing. Hopefully that's just the auto-resolve display or something.

Reading up on the 4X genre ... Stardrive 2 might be a good replacement?
If the unfinished mess that is Stardrive 1 is anything to go by, I doubt it. Extremely disappointed with the way that game turned out, the website still boasts promised features never implemented, and it appears that no attempt whatsoever was made to finish the story.

Abandoned to the winds (and mods) as far as I can tell, I gave up on it ever being fixed some time ago. A real shame too, it had much promise.

Felt very much screwed over, as I bought this before release only to see it abandoned in favour of v.2.

Will not buy anything from this dev again.

As for the MOO remake... Keen, but not getting hopes up yet.

Kinda surprised that Wargaming picked this up....
the maneuvering might hint that it's some dumbed-down, action-oriented travesty. I'm not feeling terribly optimistic.

Let's just hope they don't make is a World of Tanks in Space arcade crap.

I discovered MOO 1 & 2 sometimes in 1996, and have been hooked on ever since (personally prefer 2, but both are good).

Ever since some time in 2005 I have been trying to find a game that comes adequately close to the ideals set by the second game.

Many have tried, all have failed.

With Orion 3 being the dissapointment it is, I am not terribly optimistic, yet have a grain of hope yet inside me. Every other 4X space game I have tried just doesn't have "it" to bring me back for more.

I still play Orion 1 & 2 occasionally... and a friend of mine is still absolutely hooked on Orion 1.

We hope, and dream, and wait.

here is a gameplay trailer, although it doesn't show much from gameplay it seems like the devs have copied many gameplay mechanics from MOOII. Only time will tell if this MOO is worthy of the original legacy

Also some of the devs are the ones the made MOOI

Changes I picked up from the German (so linking would be useless, no?) Gamestar magazine:

Updated
I have been following quill18 and his Early Access series on Master of Orion.
My post will mostly be about the differences to MOO2.

- fixed research tree for everyone, no creative/uncreative/pick-one anymore, some fields require the player to select of one of two/three technologies

- fixed starlanes/wormholes, no hyperjumps from anywhere to everywhere - I assume it is easier to create an AI for this than for a free movement system, developers also claim that players disliked the possibility of random attacks by the AI opponents

- unsure if turn-based tactical space combat will happen, combat is to be "quick" according to developers, as of now space combat is real time, but can be paused and ships can be ordered freely to move or attack specific targets, some special abilities/equipment are seemingly manual and have a cooldown

- planetary invasions are simulated and numerical in presentation only (no small soldiers running towards each other like in MOO2)

- ships can be designed as in MOO2, two alternate models per ship class, equipment limited by available size, pretty much like MOO2, smaller ships seem to be way more viable than in MOO2, Doom Star class is limited to one ship of this size class per empire

- Space Pirates, bases produce raiders until destroyed

- non-aligned worlds, similar to Civ5 city states (not in yet)

- maximum number of turns (1000)

- races in the game: Humans, Alkari, Sakkra, Psilons, Darlok, Klackons, Silicoid, Mrrshan, Meklars, Bulrathi (called the original ten races of MOO - so MOO2 races are seemingly deemed non-original?)
probably not: Elerians, Gnolams, Trilarians
Collectors Edition: Terran Khanate

- custom races are still in development, so no info on MOO2's race perks, but differences as of now are quite minimal/limited to one trait

- no leaders for colonies/ships as known from MOO2

- no Transport Ship Pool
population can be shipped to other colonies by building a transport ship that takes 1 pop-unit and is disassambled upon unloading
food is seemingly shared systemwide only
production can be cumulated systemwide by building a system unique building on one planet in a system and setting production of the other planets to "export"

- no annihilation of conquered population *cough*

- no cutscene for the Stellar Converter (yet?), but blowing up planets is still a thing, as is creating planets from gas giants or asteroid belts

- Orion planet with guardian and salvaged techs upon defeating it

- upgrading ships via credits in a single turn, not via planets production queue (automatic upgrading ship designs after new tech discoveries is weird and best done manually (for now))

- space factories, ships that build outposts and military installations at the end of starlanes

- morale system changed to population going on strike when low rather than offering a bonus when high

- tax rate directly affects empirewide morale

- pollution system changed, no production malus but accumulating pollution that will eventually lead to downgrading the planets biome class (some planets are uneffected, presumably toxic ones), has to be removed via a production project, creation can be reduced by certain buildings

- almost every building from MOO2 is back, some have slightly different effects though

11059776_1118452614833097_3570211803552239676_o.jpg

Edited by KerbMav
Updated information

• 4 months later...

from the videos i saw i made the conclusion it still is at an early alpha stage. for the price they are asking i'll wait for the full release after a big discount at steam. I am disappointed from all these remakes, they try to capture the essence of the original games but when released they are full of bugs and/or missing features.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.