[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

3 hours ago, Box of Stardust said:

Question: what does 'compatible with CTT' entail? How does it change the tree?

if i remember correctly it doesn't work "with it" CTT is just needed for some mods so ETT overwrites CTT if its installed.

On 2016-04-26 at 3:05 PM, joebopie said:

Sounds good to me the only thing I would suggest is make sure some control surfaces come with first lot of wings, as one without the other is pointless.

While I agree that both some wings and some control surfaces should be included in the same node (a Wing tech node would make more sense, having a few control surfaces included), I don't think there is a need for "lot of wings", as long as there is at least some form of wing and some form of control surface in the same node.

For the earliest nodes it would make more sense, based on the goal of ETT, to have only the most basic parts included. You can make a perfectly flyable aircraft with (forgive my description for lack of the names) the first small rectangular wing connector, the first small triangular wing connector, and the smallest control surface (elevon 4?) as the wing assembly. As long as we get those in the first Wing tech node he could leave the rest of the wings and control surfaces for the following tiers, lest he run out parts before he runs out of nodes.

Long-winded? It's a bad habit, sorry. At least I made a point, right?

OK Guys, I've completely re-mapped the aviation branch. :) Now you will be able to research Aviation, which is enough to make a jet similar to the ME-262.

Then the following aerospace independently: 

• Jet Engines
  • Intakes
  • Wings
  • Control Surfaces/Stability (may split these)
  • Mk1 -->
    • Mk2
    • Mk3
    • MkX
  • Mk0 (0.625)
  • <bonus> Prop Engines
  • <bonus> Helicopters/VSTOL

Each branch of the tree should have about 3 nodes, an increase of 13 nodes!  But this should satisfy you aviation nuts! You know who you are! :confused:

Hopefully I will have a new release by this weekend.  Maybe a graphic of the tree a little earlier.

Nice timing @RocketRyleigh :)

Edited by Probus

3 minutes ago, Probus said:

OK Guys, I've completely re-mapped the aviation branch. :) Now you will be able to research Aviation, which is enough to make a jet similar to the ME-262.

• Jet Engines
  • Intakes
  • Wings
  • Mk1 -->
    • Mk2
    • Mk3
    • MkX
  • Mk0 (0.625)
  • <bonus> Prop Engines

Each branch of the tree should have about 3 nodes, an increase of 13 nodes!  But this should satisfy you aviation nuts! You know who you are! :confused:

Hopefully I will have a new release by this weekend.  Maybe a graphic of the tree a little earlier.

What can I say @Probus, I'm waiting on baited breath :P.

I'm definitely looking forward to the release, it looks like you've put a lot of work into the balancing with promising results!

I'll speak for the aviation nuts and say thank you for listening and putting in the time for us :P, and generally just staying committed to this mod.

Can't wait to check out the release, and maybe finally get my 1.1 career going, with your fantastic tech tree!

9 hours ago, Probus said:

• Jet Engines
  • Intakes
  • Wings
  • Mk1 -->
    • Mk2
    • Mk3
    • MkX
  • Mk0 (0.625)
  • <bonus> Prop Engines

Sounds awesome, I just begun a new campaign and I'm on;y a few nodes in, how bad is it to upgrade to a new tree?

21 hours ago, Noobton said:

Sounds awesome, I just begun a new campaign and I'm on;y a few nodes in, how bad is it to upgrade to a new tree?

Today, I've added all the nodes into the tech tree and re-arranged the nodes in the format above.  Hopefully, this evening I will be able to put all the stock parts in this new branch of the tree, then I will let you guys have at it and spread out the firespitter, B9, SXT, Mk2 and ...

jsmUw9C.png

http://imgur.com/jsmUw9C

Just a heads up, you will need to make a module manager patch file to tell me where you want the parts.  I can import that in and distribute them using the Yonge Tech Tree Editor.  First come, first served.  I'll break ties (and provide guidance).

Edited by Probus

Yes,yes all the yes!

Now it seems a good thing I have been fidgeting with my installation and had no chance to really start the career yet.
I'll jump on it as soon as you release it into the wilds.

Edit:

Also, now we just need a practical boat parts mod.
Maybe a floaters node/branch one that becomes more prevalent? SXT deleted his so Firespitter's the only working one right now, isnt it?

Edit2:

So, how does one make patches for the tree? I'm trying to add parts from the Kerbonov and Rovers and Roadsters to be more in-line with the mod. ':NEEDS[EngTechTree]' doesn't seem to do it.

Edited by Artfact

If you can share the documentation for how to format the modulemanager files (and do you have notes on your design decisions for guidance?) I can try to add UKS to the mod. Tantares also seems to be missing.

I'm really liking the look of the new setup; good idea branching control surfaces off on their own since they're used for rockets as well. Definitely a far more coherent and balanced progression.

10 hours ago, Artfact said:

Yes,yes all the yes!

Now it seems a good thing I have been fidgeting with my installation and had no chance to really start the career yet.
I'll jump on it as soon as you release it into the wilds.

I know exactly how you feel :P, puttering around uninstalling and reinstalling mods, waiting for DangIt! and TACLS to come out of hiding in my case lol.

20 minutes ago, larkvi said:

If you can share the documentation for how to format the modulemanager files (and do you have notes on your design decisions for guidance?) I can try to add UKS to the mod. Tantares also seems to be missing.

Thanks guys!  Let me put together the documentation and a chart.  

Wow!  I'm excited.  I will start with the aviation branch and then try to get the new hab & station part branch also. 

Edited by Probus
If I can avoid the tornadoes...

rbsMtCE.png

http://imgur.com/rbsMtCE

Above are all the nodeNames for the Aviation branch.

Here is an example of a Module Manager code I can use:

@PART[mk3FuselageLFO_50]:NEEDS[zETT]:FINAL
{
	@TechRequired = advAerodynamics
}

This would insert mk3FuselageLFO_50 into tech node advAerodynamics

Edited by Probus

So I'm mucking around with my personal ETT configs and can't seem to read right now [Wink-Wink]

Clarify, will the new ETT update still be usable with my MM patches or not?

Sometimes I don't agree with where part pack modders put the parts, let alone where they might show up in ETT.

Awesome, thanks! I'll have a go at it during the weekend. 

Also, looking for the KOS parts, is it correct that the Kos command parts are only in the last nodes of Cumputer Science? I suppose it's the idea that up to that point we have to do our pre-programing with the Smart Parts?

I have a nagging question and was wanting to get some feedback on how to handle this.  It deals with the RAPIER/SABRE type hybrid engines.  Any ideas on how to make it both Jet and rocket branch required?

4 hours ago, Artfact said:

Awesome, thanks! I'll have a go at it during the weekend. 

Also, looking for the KOS parts, is it correct that the Kos command parts are only in the last nodes of Cumputer Science? I suppose it's the idea that up to that point we have to do our pre-programing with the Smart Parts?

I think the KOS parts should start at the first node of computer science.  What do you think @Artfact?

1 hour ago, Probus said:

I think the KOS parts should start at the first node of computer science.  What do you think @Artfact?

Most definitely from the start.:) I actually thought ETT already addressed KOS, hence my confusion. 

While I'm at it I might as well set-up a MM-patch for KOS.

Edit:

2 hours ago, Probus said:

I have a nagging question and was wanting to get some feedback on how to handle this.  It deals with the RAPIER/SABRE type hybrid engines.  Any ideas on how to make it both Jet and rocket branch required?

Isn't the Hybrid Engines node already High Altitude and 2.5 Rocket Engine dependant? Change the High Altitude into Jet Engines 4 dependency?
Ah..but that allows you to get to Hybrid Engines by completing either of those lines..

Edited by Artfact

3 hours ago, Artfact said:

Isn't the Hybrid Engines node already High Altitude and 2.5 Rocket Engine dependant? Change the High Altitude into Jet Engines 4 dependency?
Ah..but that allows you to get to Hybrid Engines by completing either of those lines..

@Artfact, you can set it so that you need both instead of either.  Also I'm moving it from 2.5 Engines to the last node of 1.25 engines and jetEngine3 instead of jetEngine4. jetEngine4 I see as being for really large jetEngines. Seems more appropriate.

Really my problem is the tech tree line that has to stretch from one side of the screen to the other.

Edited by Probus

Hm, well it does kind of nicely represent the bridge between both worlds, but I can see how it would mess up your groove.;)

Anyway, I've got a large part of the Roovers and Roadsters parts covered, all of the Kerbonov parts and started on the SXT parts. The changes, however, are not taking affect.
What am I doing wrong? (I've tried with and without the :FINAL and with and without the :AFTER)

// Engines and Pods
@PART[kapcubecab1]:AFTER[zETT]:NEEDS[zETT]
{
    @TechRequired = experimentalMotors
}
@PART[kapcubecab2]:AFTER[zETT]:NEEDS[zETT]
{
}
@PART[kap1x05runabout]:AFTER[zETT]:NEEDS[zETT]
{
    @entryCost = 4000
}
@PART[kap1x05truckcab]:AFTER[zETT]:NEEDS[zETT]
{
    @TechRequired = advancedMotors
    @entryCost = 2600
}
@PART[kap1x05truckcab2]:AFTER[zETT]:NEEDS[zETT]
{
    @TechRequired = advancedMotors
    @entryCost = 2800
}
@PART[kapvancabv2]:AFTER[zETT]:NEEDS[zETT]
{
    @TechRequired = fieldScience
    @entryCost = 2200
}

where can I get the new format of the ETT with the added aviation branch? the github says its an old version and im bouncing in my seat wanting to get many parts nicely organised. I know that i could start without it but im unsure if im doing it correctly without being able to test it :(

Edit: also, what do you think about the engine pre-coolers, do you think they should be in the jet engines line, aerodynamics line or maybe even the thermal tech side?

Edited by joebopie

4 minutes ago, Artfact said:

Yeah, would love to have the aviation lines available. Would also go a long way to patching the SXT parts.

And I really like that idea of pre-coolers in thermodynamics! :)

Here is a link to what I have so far.  At least it has the nodes mostly sorted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tntzfxhux2t66p/ETT-Aviation-Pre.zip?dl=0

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.