[1.8.1] ETT - Engineering Tech Tree - May 4, 2020

Probus

On 1/21/2016 at 2:40 PM, tees said:

Hi 

Its is chaka mod compatible ??

Chaka said he is going to try working on it.  He likes ETT.

On 1/23/2016 at 11:43 AM, Veeltch said:

That's a very nice mod you got there!

However, I would like to play it Stock + KIS + KAS + USI-LS. The problem is with this mod configuration there are many tree nodes that are empty, but still cost science points. Is there any way to remove or skip them without cheating the extra science in? Or maybe there's some other tech tree modyfing mod that I could use?

Think of the empty nodes as research towards a goal that has not produced a working prototype yet.  To remove the nodes would unbalance the tech tree research, I believe.

On 1/23/2016 at 11:52 AM, Workable Goblin said:

What kind of getting along problems are you having? I rely on Github and Ubuntu for work, but I haven't had any trouble shunting code back and forth between them (I use git directly).

I happen to like building airplanes and like the idea of this pack, but had some frustrations the last time I used it. From what I recall, there's really a very large jump in science points between the first node with practically any airplane parts and the next node, which includes a number of parts that I liked and/or used in early-tech designs in the stock game. It might be worth looking at that some, particularly for people without Firespitter, KAX, etc.

I switched to using git directly and it started working properly.

The aircraft side of the tech tree REALLY needs some love.  I have started a spaceplane campaign to see if I can clean it up a bit.  I think several people have ideas on how it should progress.  I always like suggestions.

On 1/24/2016 at 9:25 AM, legoclone09 said:

@Probus The almighty Nertea has made a new mod, Kerbal Atomics. It adds some LH2 engines that look rewly nice. I can make cfg files if you tell me the names of the nodes the nuclear engines are in.

I have split out the nuclear engines from the nuclear reactors and RTGs.  

nuclearPropulsion - 1000 RP (Simple nuclear engines)

improvedNuclearPropulsion - 3000 RP (Improved nuclear engines)

advNuclearPropulsion - 4000 RP  (This node starts fusion based nuclear engines)

fusionRockets - 5500 RP (Everything else that is nuclear based propulsion goes in here)

Remember, exotic engines such as Ion or Hall have their own branch.

Thanks @legoclone09

On 1/25/2016 at 6:55 AM, Mastro said:

@Probus

Hi,

i was really excited about your mod, because vanilla tech tree has no sense, making it boring and annoying.

I agree.

I installed ETT, but with only vanilla parts feels so empty, so i added SXT and NearFuture for parts and Dmagic for Science to already installed MJ and RemoteTech.

Yes, I would definitely recommend a few part packs.

Intially was really fun, thanks to the combination of the freedom to decide what is a priority for you (like unmanned first, wheels and stairs before atomic power -_-) with a progression well balanced that challenge you without frustration (or grinding).

The big "but" is that just after the first part of the tree, the parts are placed in nodes without following a logic in term of progression or cost, like having the vanilla tree with also some "bugged" placing.

The problem is that this mod tries to support all the mod, delegating too much to the modders. That doesn't work. Really, it's not the right path to follow. There is not an official and reliable "stardard" to follow. And this mod needs someone that has "the big picture" in his mind, assuring it is respected. And it can only be you.

I think you should use your experience to decide how the game should be (in terms of tech tree) and, based on that, pick few mods u consider should be in the game (or just a partial of the mod) e stick with just those. No less, no more. Your work will be a lot less (especially the maintenance) and the result a lot better. U can also tweak and Whitelisting parts beacause their number (now limited) now permits this. And u can now really work on balancing and progression (one time job).

As modder u should know u can't make everyone happy and if u try so, u end to make everyone unhappy ;) (u included)

Luca

I hear where you are coming from.  I built the tree just for my use initially.  Just including the part packs I play with regularly.  

Supporting every popular part mod is close to impossible for me, BUT developers are starting to release mods to the ETT that put their parts in the tree. For example:

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/1434/ETT%20+%20WBI%20mods%20compatibility%20patch

That is REALLY helpful.

Let's say that I had a part pack that was not tested yet (can't think of one off the top of my head), what potential results could I expect?  Would it just be that some parts do not show up in tech nodes or is it that they would not perfectly fit the progression of the branch?

I hope this question is not too broad.

4 hours ago, Cornholio said:

Let's say that I had a part pack that was not tested yet (can't think of one off the top of my head), what potential results could I expect?  Would it just be that some parts do not show up in tech nodes or is it that they would not perfectly fit the progression of the branch?

I hope this question is not too broad.

The parts would mostly line up but there would be some that are out of wack.  

ETT uses all of the stock tech nodes plus most of the CTT nodes.

@Probus I found the tech tree editor, here is the forum thread link: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/89213-win-ted-ksp-tech-tree-editor-v024-alpha-early-testing/

I also think someone made a 1.0 patch for it but haven't tried it, so not sure if it works.

Edited by legoclone09

I have ETT tried yesterday, and first thing is a very big THANK YOU for that stuff! :)

Generally my probem with vanilla tech tree is it cannot reflect my R&D progress - you just need to unlock everything, science first, cheap nods then, and powerful stuff last. Now it's solved, feels much better to have plans.
The other thing is about planes. I just hated not to be able to avoid plane development - now I can play my VonBraun-style rocketman style I always wanted.
(OK, I had only the first two launch tests, so it's rather a hope, but hey - keep positive!) 

I use ScanSat and KER only above the stock game, they fit well to ETT.
Can U suggest any parts mod I should use, if I want to stay close to the vanilla feeling?

-SiL-

15 hours ago, Probus said:

The parts would mostly line up but there would be some that are out of wack.  

ETT uses all of the stock tech nodes plus most of the CTT nodes.

So if my current parts show up in the stock tree I should not worry that they would not show up in this one?  If so, I'm downloading this when I get home.

Edited by Cornholio

22 minutes ago, Cornholio said:

So if my current parts show up in the stock tree I should not worry that they would not show up in this one?  If so, I'm downloading this when I get home.

Pretty much like that. You might encounter minor problems if you already started  career with stock tech tree, unlocked some nodes and then switched to ETT.
It will not be as game breaking, only some previously unlocked parts might not be available if those are on nodes higher on ETT tech tree.

10 hours ago, Nightside said:

Thanks for the mod Probus, I'm having fun navigating my way through it all.

Is it supposed to be installed on along with CTT? If so do parts with CTT configs find their way to the corresponding ETT node?

It doesn't matter if CTT is there or not.  You are correct, they find their way.

9 hours ago, silencer said:

I have ETT tried yesterday, and first thing is a very big THANK YOU for that stuff! :)

I use ScanSat and KER only above the stock game, they fit well to ETT.
Can U suggest any parts mod I should use, if I want to stay close to the vanilla feeling?

Thank yoiu SiL.  That means a lot to me.

I would suggest DMagic's Science pack.  Near future mods tend to flesh out the tree.  I also like to play with one of the supported part packs (stockalike packs such as Tanares LV).

Really, it depends on your objectives for that particular career game.  Propulsion: Chemical, Atomic, Exotic; Rocket and/or Spaceplane; Robotics; Mining; Spacestations or Land Based Habs.  The combinations are endless.

2 hours ago, Cornholio said:

HOLD YOUR HORSES Cornholio!!!  You should only use this tree if you are starting a NEW campaign game.  Otherwise things get a little bit... odd (summon the Kraken)

And what @kcs123 said. :)

27 minutes ago, Probus said:

snip

HOLD YOUR HORSES Cornholio!!!  You should only use this tree if you are starting a NEW campaign game.  Otherwise things get a little bit... odd (summon the Kraken)

And what @kcs123 said. :)

Then I'll make this a feature of my 1.1 save if/when that patch ever comes out.

After using YongeTech's Tech Tree Editor and Converter this weekend I have decided to convert the ETT to the Yonge model.  This will greatly improve maintenance and addition of part packs while reducing errors and oversights.  

Way to go @yongedevil!

Edited by Probus

Hello, what do you think of HGR (and HGR redux) support?

Amd seems there's no support for whole SXT, right?

Also, would be cool to include USI exploration pack as well.

If you're considering suggestions...

Edited by evileye.x

@Probus

I have the following aircraft part recommendations:

Move the following from Manned Space Exploration to Rockets and Beepy Things (starting tech):

• Command Seat

Move the following from Aviation to Subsonic Flight:

• Mk 1 liquid fuseloge
  • Mk 1 Crew Cabin
  • Mk1 Inline Cockpit

Move the following from Aviation to Aerospace Tech:

• Small Circular Intake
  • J-20 Juno Basic Jet Engine

Move the following from Aviation to Jet Aircraft:

• Circular Intake
  • J33 Weesley Turbofan Engine

Move from Aerospace Tech to Subsonic Flight:

• KAX D-25 Radial Engine

Move from High Altitude Flight to Aerospace Tech:

• KAX PT100 Turboprop

Doing the above should balance out the aviation parts for both stock and KAX players.

Looking at the aircraft side of the tree closer and gave it some luv.:wub:

I may have Advanced Intakes and Hyper-sonic Flight in the wrong order.  I noticed you get the shock cone before several less advanced intakes.  Any opinions?

I've also updated the research costs for the flight branch to fall inline with the rocket side of the tree.  Some were way overpriced and not balanced in my opinion.

Moved some of @Porkjet's new Mk3 part's to the correct nodes in the tree along with some other misplaced parts.

Added @Badsector's DarkSideTechnology's centrifuge.

On 1.2.2016 at 5:34 PM, Probus said:

After using YongeTech's Tech Tree Editor and Converter this weekend I have decided to convert the ETT to the Yonge model.  This will greatly improve maintenance and addition of part packs while reducing errors and oversights.  

Way to go @yongedevil!

You are aware that it doesn't seem to be actively maintained? The author of the plugin hasn't posted since last July and not even logged in to the forums in the last 3 months. So, be prepared to have to solve problems with it yourself; if something breaks in future KSP updates, for example. (Well, at least it should be trivial to convert it back to MM patches if all else fails.)

16 minutes ago, SpaceNomad said:

You are aware that it doesn't seem to be actively maintained? The author of the plugin hasn't posted since last July and not even logged in to the forums in the last 3 months. So, be prepared to have to solve problems with it yourself; if something breaks in future KSP updates, for example. (Well, at least it should be trivial to convert it back to MM patches if all else fails.)

Yes, that is a major concern.  But it is soooo much easier to maintain it might be worth the eventual conversion back to MM like you say.

Haven't really looked at the code, but it might be worthwhile to change it, so it can write MM-compatible configs and read it back (not general MM patches but just the ones it writes). This way, the user has only a dependency on ModuleManager, which you pretty much need for any mod anyway ;)

Have you had a look at the TechTree editor included in KSP? I haven't used it, so can't really vouch for it, but might be worth a try. It's accessible when opening the debug screen (Mod+F12) while being in the R&D building.

14 hours ago, Probus said:

Looking at the aircraft side of the tree closer and gave it some luv.:wub:

I may have Advanced Intakes and Hyper-sonic Flight in the wrong order.  I noticed you get the shock cone before several less advanced intakes.  Any opinions?

I've also updated the research costs for the flight branch to fall inline with the rocket side of the tree.  Some were way overpriced and not balanced in my opinion.

Moved some of @Porkjet's new Mk3 part's to the correct nodes in the tree along with some other misplaced parts.

Added @Badsector's DarkSideTechnology's centrifuge.

I'm doing a career playthrough with ETT and GAP. I will be posting a second set of aircraft, construction, and wheel part recommendations after testing some manual changes myself. The current order is certainly an improvement, but its only a start. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.