PS4 Announcement Discussion

DuoDex

This is the Inc-red-ible thing how is this incredible? It's terrible news. And will only negatively affect PC players.

Oh man that's it then. How the hell are they going to find time to work on both fixing the PC version AND porting it to PS4?

You may want to check the rest of this thread and others. They'r farming the port out to a totally-not-shady third party http://www.ftmobile.com/default.aspx

Edited by Red Iron Crown
Edited quote to reflect Majorjim's self censoring.

Squad has partnered with Flying Tiger Entertainment to port KSP on to the PS4, so not all dev time is lost ;)

It will slow development of the PC version anyway you look at it. It has to. You think this other company will just be able to jump right in and port it? No way man.

Squad will be heavily consulting them. Throughout development.

It will slow development of the PC version anyway you look at it. It has to. You think this other company will just be able to jump right in and port it? No way man.

If they can even do the port, somebody posted a screenshot of FT's website a few pages back, looks like they've done crummy mobile games almost entirely.

What I giggle about is how on one they're saying it's super easy to get on PS4 because Unity 4 has PS4 support, and in the same breath talking about moving to Unity 5.

Pc going to 5 while Console staying on 4?

Haven't read this entire thread, don't plan to. Squad is a business. Making money (which is their entire purpose, BTW) means they can do more of what we want them to do. If it pays their bills, buys news shoes for their kids, etc, I'm all for it. Heck, maybe they will hire someone to deal with the console issues. Anyway, I'll not jump to conclusions about how this will affect the computer version.

if they can even do the port, somebody posted a screenshot of ft's website a few pages back, looks like they've done crummy mobile games almost entirely.

s i g h.

I b o r e e v e n m y s e l f

Edited by Majorjim

Haven't read this entire thread, don't plan to. Squad is a business. Making money (which is their entire purpose, BTW) means they can do more of what we want them to do. If it pays their bills, buys news shoes for their kids, etc, I'm all for it. Heck, maybe they will hire someone to deal with the console issues. Anyway, I'll not jump to conclusions about how this will affect the computer version.

They hired a mobile game developer to port to the console, I foresee a mobile port in KSP's future as well. KSP is taking the exit for Minecraft Road apparently.

Most everyone here has gotten vastly more out of KSP than they paid for already. I'm happy for whatever other ways to monetize their time the dev can figure out, this isn't a hobby for them, it's their livelihood.

They hired a mobile game developer to port to the console, I foresee a mobile port in KSP's future as well. KSP is taking the exit for Minecraft Road apparently.

Why is this a bad thing? As posted earlier there have been something like 8+ patches to the PC client of minecraft since the mobile and Xbox release, adding all kinda of features.

And whats wrong with exposing all these new people to the science and enjoyment of KSP...not everyone has a PC, or is interested on playing games on PC. I have several friends who ONLY game on consoles, and i would love to expose them to KSP

You see people all the time asking for more stuff for KSP, more features, more RL merchandise, etc etc.. This doesnt happen without widening the audience base, and bringing in more money.

Most everyone here has gotten vastly more out of KSP than they paid for already. I'm happy for whatever other ways to monetize their time the dev can figure out, this isn't a hobby for them, it's their livelihood.

Thank you :) thats forgotten alot ... with 1200 something hours in game, ive gotten MORE than my monies worth.

Edited by rabidninjawombat

why is this a bad thing? As posted earlier there have been something like 8+ patches to the pc client of minecraft since the mobile and xbox release, adding all kinda of features. And whats wrong with exposing all these new people to the science and enjoyment of ksp. You see people want more stuff for ksp, more features, more rl merchandise, etc etc.. This doesnt happen without widening the audience base, and bringing in more money.

s i g h.

Edited by Majorjim

Why is this a bad thing? As posted earlier there have been something like 8+ patches to the PC client of minecraft since the mobile and Xbox release, adding all kinda of features. And whats wrong with exposing all these new people to the science and enjoyment of KSP. You see people want more stuff for KSP, more features, more RL merchandise, etc etc.. This doesnt happen without widening the audience base, and bringing in more money.

I wasn't saying it was a bad thing, I was just commenting that that seems to be where KSP is headed. Just about everyone is for widening the audience base, it's the quality over quantity issue that most of us are worried about IMO.

The port will fail. Anyone with a tiny bit of foresight will say the same. This is serious, a big failure on consoles will kill the game stone cold dead. This isn't a AAA action title that console kids enjoy. It's deep, thoughtful and requires finesse, patients and dedication.

This will fail, i would bet real money on it. I think I'm done now. This is so tiring Squad.

Console Kids? really? Most of the people i know personally who only play on consoles are between 30-40. There are absolute TONS of deep and thoughtfull games on on consoles if you just take one look past the shootings games.

And how exactly would a failed port affect everyone here playing on PC? Its not even affecting squads bottom line (I'd take a guess that the company developing the port is doing so for a cut of the sales, not for a set amount of money) I trust Squad enough to have over site on the project and ensure its a decent port. (Max has said that FlyingTiger already has a working version up that he has played and its pretty smooth)

And I would be very happy to pay $200 for the KSP of my dreams.

But with such announcements, I'm becoming more confident than ever that my dreams are just dreams.

There i also another big issue... What will they do if this porting team is slower than squad when it comes to implementing updates/patches??

Is squad going to delay the pc version, so that the updates are released at same time? Because if so then that will also slow down progress and delay updates to the pc.

If they are not doing this, then we will have alot of ps4 users whining about how the PC got a update before them, so I really fear they will make it so that both versions release at around the same time.

I'm going to quote my post in the Devnote Tuesday thread here, because it applies as well.

Hey everyone, I understand that this news is looked at a bit critically in a community that mainly consists of PC players, but I think we (as a community) are losing ourselves a bit here. KSP is coming to PS4, and that in my honest opinion is great news: it means more people get to enjoy Kerbal Space Program and discover how to rocket science. There are many great things to come to KSP both in the near future and further down the line, and it's sad to see people speculate or even state for fact otherwise when they have absolutely nothing to base this on; the same goes for the alleged "dumbing down" of the game. As Max said, partnering up with another studio even provides certain advantages for the PC version, such as the quick port to Unity 5.

Generalisations such as "console plebs" and "PC master race" really have no place in a level headed discussion. Any group of people is extremely diverse and setting a whole group aside as inferior is just silly and quite honestly degrading. They will not be condoned from here on out.

And finally, please be more respectful towards Squad. Constructive criticism, questions and even some scepticism are all fine, but in the end you're a guest on our forums and we do expect you to behave as guests.

I am afraid that Squad spread their development capabilities too thin, leaving PC development in a less than ideal state.

And finally, please be more respectful towards Squad. Constructive criticism, questions and even some scepticism are all fine, but in the end you're a guest on our forums and we do expect you to behave as guests.

I am not a guest, I am a customer.

all i'm getting from this "pc masterace blah blah blah"

console kids? Really? Most of the people i know personally who only play on consoles are between 30-40. There are absolute tons of deep and thoughtfull games on on consoles if you just take one look past the shootings games.

And how exactly would a failed port affect everyone here playing on pc? Its not even affecting squads bottom line (i'd take a guess that the company developing the port is doing so for a cut of the sales, not for a set amount of money) i trust squad enough to have over site on the project and ensure its a decent port. (max has said that flyingtiger already has a working version up that he has played and its pretty smooth)

s i g h.

Edited by Majorjim

And the somewhat recent rash of developers leaving makes sudden sense... though I do hold out hope it's not actually related.

Dont tell me that more developers are leaving squad again.. I am getting tired of how they hire some modder to develop features, then before they are even finished they let them go...

There i also another big issue... What will they do if this porting team is slower than squad when it comes to implementing updates/patches??

Is squad going to delay the pc version, so that the updates are released at same time? Because if so then that will also slow down progress and delay updates to the pc.

If they are not doing this, then we will have alot of ps4 users whining about how the PC got a update before them, so I really fear they will make it so that both versions release at around the same time.

I am afraid that Squad spread their development capabilities too thin, leaving PC development in a less than ideal state.

Thanks KasperVLD for the post.

Guys if you read some of Max's orginal post, this is not going to delay future patches. A seperate team is working on it. Not to mention Maxmaps has said, that having this other team working on the console port has actually sped up the process of porting to unity 5.

From the front page news.

Will this have a negative effect on the development of the PC version?

Absolutely not. If anything, working in collaboration with Flying Tiger has helped us speed up processes like the Unity 5 upgrade, but in general the two will remain separate versions of the game, much like the educational version TeacherGaming works on!

Thanks KasperVLD for the post.

Guys if you read some of Max's orginal post, this is not going to delay future patches. A seperate team is working on it. Not to mention Maxmaps has said, that having this other team working on the console port has actually sped up the process of porting to unity 5.

From the front page news.

What original post? Where on the official forum is this post?

Also, probably the worst thing that could happen because of PS4 is this:

Invent%255B1%255D.png

This. Please Squad, give the PC players a stable Unity 5 version before you ruin the game...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.