[1.3/1.2/1.1] [Kopernicus] Other_Worlds star/planet pack - v1.0.2

Pkmniako

Just something I grudgingly found out after building mods 3 times at 6 hours per attempt, if you put "OtherWorlds" folder into GameData it will not work (at least with GalacticNeighborhodd). You have to put the inner folder, "CecariSystem", into gamedata. Sorry if I just didn't read the readme and it said so in there, but felt like a public service announcement was in order in case anyone else did it.

Not as bad as Kronkus, which despite also being completely functional and a really nice mod, was packed Kronkus>Kronkus>Gamedata>Kronkus(Kopernicus,ModuleManager)>Kronkus which was really unbelievable as if you merge gamedatas like all mods ask you to do you actually install it incorrectly and I informed them at their modpage too, so I figured I'd let both you know. Thank you for your understanding.

• 2 weeks later...

This mod is absolutely great. The trailer, the planets, their stock-alikness, everything! :D

One idea I thought of, looking through the planets...

Crons' info bit Mentions it once being a double planet system, until it was separated by Sienna, right?

How about making a planet on a highly eccentric orbit that is the second planet of that old system!

Wow.

I was actually expecting another well below average solar system mod... but man, was I wrong. This probably has to be the best solar system mod out there... absolutely no joke. This is Ay-mazing. One thing I was really happy about is that it still works with my other planet mods like OPM and Trans-Kuptunian. A lot of solar system mods make it so those planets orbit somewhere else... but this works like a dream. Anyway, I go an inspect the planets and boy-o, they're absolutely great! You did a terrific job modeling them, as well as texturing them. I did notice a few problems (like Crons's seam line) but other than that, they're great. The fact that you went into such depth to create realistic water (or lava) flow or chipping due to tidal forces is absolutely stunning.

Here's a picture of the system and the difference between (my modded) Kerbol System and Cercani's.

fDMhw9O.png

LarrEA6.png

I especially love the Vassa, half ocean and half not. I think a small moon around Vassa would due justice. It would fit into the lore (after all, an asteroid/comet did crash into it). Would be nice to see some sort of weirdly shaped moon for it Maybe like a large chunk of rock. I think the only thing that I have a problem with would probably be Pequar's rings. They're way too bright and too wide. Maybe they're suppose to be like that, but it looks too... well, in-you-face. Especially for such a small planet. The planet wouldn't be able to hold such a well formulated ring system; especially with a mass of only 9.83E12m^2. Maybe the rings can be a bit spread out from each other... like Jupiter's.

If I could make a suggestion for a planet or two for the Cercani System (besides a moon for Vassa): I would really like to see a planet super close to the sun. Half of it super smooth and burned off; almost magma. Landing there would be super hard, especially with the new heat involved.

For your other systems (n2 and n3), I think a Hot Jupiter would be absolutely amazing to see. And if you feel ballsy, have a moon of that Hot Jupiter in a geosynchronized orbit so it's always hiding behind the planet, thus not getting burned to the touch from the sun. I'd also love to see an entire planet covered in water, except the water is about a foot deep... kind of like the scene in Interstellar with mountains.

As someone who hates interstellar mods, this is gonna be fun for me to travel there using nothing but Stock! Yay my masochist self!

Other than that, I can't wait to see what you'll have next!

Edited by alaskafish
Pictures

Hey, do you mind telling me some of the mods that you used with your trailer? I saw the alcubierre drive mod. But I saw some parts from a few I don't recognize. Looking good as usual!

Thanks! -Garbonzo

In the video description there are the links to all mods used!

No, don't! I can't loose another mod to the grasp of CKAN, which my computer doesn't like, and I can't find out why!

Don't worry. :) CKAN can use Kerbalstuff, so the mod would be both in CKAN and for direct download.

This mod is absolutely great. The trailer, the planets, their stock-alikness, everything! :D

One idea I thought of, looking through the planets...

Crons' info bit Mentions it once being a double planet system, until it was separated by Sienna, right?

How about making a planet on a highly eccentric orbit that is the second planet of that old system!

It's a secret to everybody.

Wow.

I was actually expecting another well below average solar system mod... [...]

If I could make a suggestion for a planet or two for the Cercani System (besides a moon for Vassa): I would really like to see a planet super close to the sun. Half of it super smooth and burned off; almost magma. Landing there would be super hard, especially with the new heat involved.

For your other systems (n2 and n3), I think a Hot Jupiter would be absolutely amazing to see. And if you feel ballsy, have a moon of that Hot Jupiter in a geosynchronized orbit so it's always hiding behind the planet, thus not getting burned to the touch from the sun. I'd also love to see an entire planet covered in water, except the water is about a foot deep... kind of like the scene in Interstellar with mountains.

As someone who hates interstellar mods, this is gonna be fun for me to travel there using nothing but Stock! Yay my masochist self!

Other than that, I can't wait to see what you'll have next!

Try the 1.0.1 patch. It makes Vassa satellite visible (Below download, it's a link)

With Cercani, I've no plan in adding more bodies to it. n2 and n3 are already planned and making progress. Too little because I have almost no time. But your ideas like the geosync satellite and 1 foot deep oceania are good, I'll keep them in mind! :D

• 2 weeks later...

It's time for a image of some of the planets I'm working on!

4MYv7Xk.png

Information:

• The star is the bigger companion of a double star system, being this star showed a white main-sequence star.
  • 1st planet is a desert.
  • 2nd planet is a almost pure-carbon planet.
  • 3rd planet is just a ice/gas giant. Rings not included in the image.
  • 4th planet (Called Natit) is a frozen titan with gold-like seas.

• The next star could be a White dwarf or a Neutron star
  • This one will contain a terra orbiting a yellow gas giant at far distances from the host star, only heated by tidal forces.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

So, uh. I think someone needs to explain to Gene Kerman at Mission Control exactly how far away Cercani is from Kerbin(*). I keep getting offered missions to explore various bodies in the Cercani system when, in this career save, I've only just returned from my first chemically-fueled Duna mission. I don't have enough tech to get to Jool, Gene; interstellar travel is not going to happen yet!

(*) I changed the Kopernicus config to put Cercani at 0.15 light years from Kerbol, so in my case it's extra far away. Not happening until I research fusion or warp technology.

hey pkmniako,

a guy just posted this on the GN thread

On a side-note, C2-1 on Vassa is orbiting inside it's parent body... Particularly funny as its description mentions how closely its composition resembles that of its parent planet :D but that looks like just a missing zero in semi-major axis config.

http://imgur.com/a/OyqIS

I don't touch vassa or C2-1 so it may be an issue of otherworlds... if it's not, I'll see what's going on :D

hey pkmniako,

a guy just posted this on the GN thread

I don't touch vassa or C2-1 so it may be an issue of otherworlds... if it's not, I'll see what's going on :D

Indeed is inside. I posted a patch fixing that. I don't have time (and internet connection) to compile it with the full mod and upload it to KerbalStuff do.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='eataTREE'](*) I changed the Kopernicus config to put Cercani at 0.15 light years from Kerbol, so in my case it's [B]extra[/B] far away. Not happening until I research fusion or warp technology.[/QUOTE]

Or RoverDude's Nuclear Engines mod, or the various versions of Nyrath's Orion. Orion is great for getting to Cercani if you don't mind the multi-year travel time. With RoverDude's Orion, with a long enough burn you can make it in a year and a half - still in the process of trying it. Just don't use Dang-It unless you bring a lot of spares. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Updated the mod to 1.0.2:

• Patch 1.0.1 implemented in Kerbal Stuff download (C2-1 orbit and Kervari's temperatures)
  • C2-1 Sphere of Influence Raised
  • Cercani's orange light color updated to work with Kopernicus 0.5.X
Edited by Pkmniako

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Garbonzo said:

hey, how did you make your textures? What program did you use?

SpaceEngine custom planets combined with some photoshop editing.

16 hours ago, Jodo42 said:

Will Other Worlds work with a 6.4x stock system? A Cercani 64k config would be great, too.

IIf you place Other_Worlds with the 6.4x stock system, the orbit and sizes of the cercani system won't change. I also don't have plans of doing that, as Sigma is doing a plugin just for that.

On 13/12/2015 at 3:42 PM, ProtoJeb21 said:

Why is N2-P2 so dark?

It's a carbon planet. I need to change the color to brown, but still dark so it's really dificult to land there.

4 hours ago, Pkmniako said:

IIf you place Other_Worlds with the 6.4x stock system, the orbit and sizes of the cercani system won't change. I also don't have plans of doing that, as Sigma is doing a plugin just for that.

Hah! I just got introduced to Dimensions yesterday. Looks like it has incredible promise. Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

This does seem very, very interesting. The planets are beautiful!

Three questions:

-Since this uses Kopernicus, if I go around multiplying diameters and orbital radii manually, how messed up would the textures and heightmaps be?

-Does this use the amazing memory savings of Outer Planets Mod's Load On Demand textures?

-What is the astoundingly beatiful mod you used for the glow in the video around the 1min30 mark?

One suggestion:

-A pure carbon planet would likely contain some oxygen. They'd appear as bright patches of solid carbon dioxide on the surface. Might be useful if you don't want a pitch-black planet.

Edited by MatterBeam

I've a new body for the new system done.

TcbOLjE.png

And this actually has a detalied surface not like the ones from the Cercani system.

On 24/1/2016 at 10:27 PM, MatterBeam said:

-Since this uses Kopernicus, if I go around multiplying diameters and orbital radii manually, how messed up would the textures and heightmaps be?

-Does this use the amazing memory savings of Outer Planets Mod's Load On Demand textures?

-What is the astoundingly beatiful mod you used for the glow in the video around the 1min30 mark?

One suggestion:

-A pure carbon planet would likely contain some oxygen. They'd appear as bright patches of solid carbon dioxide on the surface. Might be useful if you don't want a pitch-black planet.

- Textures and heightmaps shouldn't be messed up, but be carefull with ocean planets (aka Vassa)

- On Demand is a feature of Kopernicus, so yes.

- GemFX injector. It's used in the whole video.

- It's in the plans, but for know I'm working on the other bodies.

Edited by Pkmniako
The image didn't load

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.