[1.1.3] BDArmory FPS - A BDArmory Expansion - 0.4 (9-10-16)

V8jester

1 minute ago, V8jester said:

Ok I have a new issues that cropped up. The EVA Manager is no longer working for some reason..... Meaning guard mode is FUBAR'd. I'm working on tracking down the issue, and will do my best to keep guard mode a thing..

Good news I may have an answer to the ammo situation. As FPS currently copies ammo backpacks to the KIS, BD and Fuel tabs. How would everyone feel about all FPS weapons simply using "FPS Ammo" Which would be a magic resource that feeds all FPS weapons. With this we could have a single backpack that would be universal to all guns. Not realistic but far cleaner and would allow for this new resource to be ultra light weight and allow us to add ammo directly to the gun cfg's. Removing the need for a backpack unless you want MOAR ammo.

This fixes an issue that cropped up in the initial release of dropping guns as well as uncontrolled turning if we used full weight ammo resources such as the ammo resources of BD Armory or LP's Ammo pack.

So "Magic Ammo" Yes / No?

You could also use FSfuelSwitch from Firespitter

like so: https://github.com/Shuudoushi/BlackRibbon/blob/master/GameData/BlackRibbon/Parts/ammoFuselageMk1/ammoFuselageMk1.cfg#L41-L48

1 minute ago, Shuudoushi said:

But I don't think this would work for a part placed in the KIS inventory as you wouldn't be able to change the "fuel" before placing it into the inventory. So what it is when stored is what you get when you equip it.

It's a great idea but I don't think it would work for this application.

Just now, Shuudoushi said:

If the part could be placed into the editor, the contents can be changed there then dragged into the inventory. (I found this out quite by mistake, but happy I did)

Hmmm. It would be a little more complicated for the end user. It's an interesting idea though.

I dunno I'll think on this one and I'll wait to get some feedback from the guys

2 hours ago, V8jester said:

Ok I have a new issues that cropped up. The EVA Manager is no longer working for some reason..... Meaning guard mode is FUBAR'd. I'm working on tracking down the issue, and will do my best to keep guard mode a thing..

Good news I may have an answer to the ammo situation. As FPS currently copies ammo backpacks to the KIS, BD and Fuel tabs. How would everyone feel about all FPS weapons simply using "FPS Ammo" Which would be a magic resource that feeds all FPS weapons. With this we could have a single backpack that would be universal to all guns. Not realistic but far cleaner and would allow for this new resource to be ultra light weight and allow us to add ammo directly to the gun cfg's. Removing the need for a backpack unless you want MOAR ammo.

This fixes an issue that cropped up in the initial release of dropping guns as well as uncontrolled turning if we used full weight ammo resources such as the ammo resources of BD Armory or LP's Ammo pack.

So "Magic Ammo" Yes / No?

Was this not what i suggested earlier?

10 hours ago, War Eagle 1 said:

Was this not what i suggested earlier?

It is. I was just trying really hard not to use "Magic Ammo"

But I must admit your idea had merit. And while it's not the best scenario. It does fix multiple issues. Like, overweight ammo causing rotation of the Kerbals, messy parts lists in the SPH / VAB due to duplicating ammo parts, and just general confusion for some newer players like "which ammo goes where" I was also trying to find a way to use LordPrometheus's ammo pack as he had helped out quite a bit in the earlier stages of FPS and requested using that to keep up mod compatibility. But due to further mod dependency, messy parts lists with duplicating any ammo box for FPS it would just become far too complicated and part heavy.

With Spanner's additions we're going to get away from duplicating BD Armory parts. And FPS will be a bit more freestanding this time around, aside from the obvious plugin dependencies of course. The idea is lots of guns not so much ammo to keep track of, as long as everybody (Me, Spanner, LordPrometheus, you) agree.

Edited by V8jester

36 minutes ago, V8jester said:

It is. I was just trying really hard not to use "Magic Ammo"

Hi, no great fan of universal  magic ammo, but it does simplify things  a lot, as we are piggy backing off other resources anyway some compromises have already been made , don't think one more will hurt too much. Although the realism fetishists will not like magic ammo.  (whats realistic about 80cm green guys with big guns anyway) the benefits at this point seem to be stacked slightly higher than the detriments

We have to decide on a standard for this universal ammo though, so i can develop the weapons and manipulate the numbers to suit.

The grenade launchers however should be kept as they are, unless there is a very good reason not to use the  BD provided cannon shells with shell mass tweaked to suit

7 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, no great fan of universal  magic ammo, but it does simplify things  a lot, as we are piggy backing off other resources anyway some compromises have already been made , don't think one more will hurt too much. Although the realism fetishists will not like magic ammo.  (whats realistic about 80cm green guys with big guns anyway) the benefits at this point seem to be stacked slightly higher than the detriments

We have to decide on a standard for this universal ammo though, so i can develop the weapons and manipulate the numbers to suit.

The grenade launchers however should be kept as they are, unless there is a very good reason not to use the  BD provided cannon shells with shell mass tweaked to suit

I was wondering about that. The cannon shells def I tweaked inside the Milkor (it's the one I sent you) worked great, no butterfingers. Does the def inside the cfg take precedence over the BD armory cannonshell ammo resource on a given weapon? Or is it just luck of the draw on which cfg is loaded first that determines the mass everything is set to? I didn't check to see if the mass of the BD Armory cannonshells was changing, with the changes I was making to the Milkor.

I was also noticing some slight movement even after changing that last mass to 10. We might want to try lowering it to 100 And we could just call the new resource "FPS Ammo" if that works for everybody. I can make the necessary cfg changes, You've already done so much. It's time for me to earn my keep around here :)

Erm it seems as if the cfg rules all, in this case at least, but then again isn't that how MM works, by inserting values into cfg's and overriding standard or stock behaviours

Some other items I'm developing have had some silly values attached and had the desired results, have a couple of turrets firing 37mm cannon shells that technically exist nowhere other than in the cfg definitions for shell mass and behavior

6 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

So is 0.3 going to be called the "NRA SPOKESMAN" update?

The funny thing is, as a Brit I've never seen many of these in real life , in fact apart from a few dozen shotgun shells and one mag from an ancient SLR L1A1 I've had very little interaction with firearms

Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

The funny thing is, as a Brit I've never seen many of these in real life , in fact apart from a few dozen shotgun shells and one mag from an ancient SLR L1A1 I've had very little interaction with firearms

Well i guess thats just another reason I'm here lol. Heck if you ever come to Alabama USA i ll take you out and learn ya a thing or two (yes the southern drawn was necessary) 

3 minutes ago, War Eagle 1 said:

Well i guess thats just another reason I'm here lol. Heck if you ever come to Alabama USA i ll take you out and learn ya a thing or two (yes the southern drawn was necessary) 

Ha! That's funny!

Yeah I'm a 1911 AR10 kinda guy myself. And once the wife shot mine she had to have one. And Kimbers aren't exactly cheap :P so $1,500 later we had another gun nut in the universe. Well the more people that like'em the fewer there are to try and take them away right.

Just now, V8jester said:

Ha! That's funny!

Yeah I'm a 1911 AR10 kinda guy myself. And once the wife shot mine she had to have one. And Kimbers aren't exactly cheap :P so $1,500 later we had another gun nut in the universe. Well the more people that like'em the fewer there are to try and take them away right.

Me and my brother last summer saved up and got my dad an Ar-15 similar to the M4 he used in Iraq. Now every chance he gets he makes sure to include that we got it for him when he talks about it. 

20 minutes ago, KSP Bros said:

Could you plz add a weapon manager for kerbals so that they can guard something, or at least add something with guard mode for kerbals. That would be awesome.

#KerbalsTryingToShootPlanes

We can neither confirm nor deny the existence of such ability at this time. But don't let your guard down

2 hours ago, KSP Bros said:

Could you plz add a weapon manager for kerbals so that they can guard something, or at least add something with guard mode for kerbals. That would be awesome.

#KerbalsTryingToShootPlanes

It's looking good, need to do some more testing to be sure but thanks to War Eagle 1 the weapon manager should be working just fine in the next update.

#KerbalsWillShootDownPlanes

5 minutes ago, V8jester said:

It's looking good, need to do some more testing to be sure but thanks to War Eagle 1 the weapon manager should be working just fine in the next update.

#KerbalsWillShootDownPlanes

Great part is i don't even know what I did. I just slapped things together and it worked. Isn't science great

8 hours ago, War Eagle 1 said:

YES YES YES
Which shotgun is that?

Its the one you haven't got yet :P

But seriously I can't tell you which one it is, due to the handicap previously mentioned :D , just a generic pump action thingy.

Probably for the next update though as it's so close to kick out time for v3,

Mind you with the right folder structure,a later download could be just merged into the main with no real issues

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.