[1.1.3] BDArmory FPS - A BDArmory Expansion - 0.4 (9-10-16)

V8jester

What If we made the SADM work like a ground anchor part. That may eliminate the explosion issue since it won't technically be dropped

Great Idea I'll try that right now

If you are looking for surface to air. The stinger is your best choice. For handheld surface to surface, I would recommend the FGM-148 Javalin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FGM-148_Javelin

That's actually on our wish list :)

Glad to hear it.

Of course one step at a time though.

Another interesting ideas are M82 Barrett .50 Cal Sniper, M16/M4 (I know you have the Ar-15 idea but the Ar-15 is really just a civilian semi-auto version of the M16/M4 platform), AK-47, M249 SAW, Land Mines (could be detonated by proximity)

Edited by War Eagle 1

Glad to hear it.

Of course one step at a time though.

Another interesting ideas are M82 Barrett .50 Cal Sniper, M16/M4 (I know you have the Ar-15 idea but the Ar-15 is really just a civilian semi-auto version of the M16/M4 platform), AK-47, M249 SAW, Land Mines (could be detonated by proximity)

All in time. LordPrometheus has been the primary modeler and I don't want to overload him with all the work he has been doing on PEW CAL and you know eating and sleeping ;)

All in time. LordPrometheus has been the primary modeler and I don't want to overload him with all the work he has been doing on PEW CAL and you know eating and sleeping ;)

I know. just one step at a time. Get the basics down before adding on to it.

Im just thinking long term, now that a short term goal has been "established"

This may be outside of the scope of what we are building. I don't know though it may be conceivable to build decoys? Like a Kerbal manikin? Make for great video's. Setup static decoys around a plane for a bombing run? Might cut down on lag.

We will at least keep it in mind.

The Davy

was no decoy, it was a human portable nuclear weapons system, probably the most awesome and kerbal weapon ever conceived. The device would be carried with a few warheads to the firing position by a three person team. Once set up it would fire off a round at the approaching forces with a maximum range of around four kilometers. The LD50 radius was around a kilometer in diameter and the warhead itself had a yield of around 20 tons of TNT equivalent. It would also be conceivable, in low gravity environments, to have your soldiers carry around nuclear weapons in single person portable rocket launcher systems.

Just an explanation since you seemed to think mannequin when I suggested the matter.

The Davy
was no decoy, it was a human portable nuclear weapons system, probably the most awesome and kerbal weapon ever conceived. The device would be carried with a few warheads to the firing position by a three person team. Once set up it would fire off a round at the approaching forces with a maximum range of around four kilometers. The LD50 radius was around a kilometer in diameter and the warhead itself had a yield of around 20 tons of TNT equivalent. It would also be conceivable, in low gravity environments, to have your soldiers carry around nuclear weapons in single person portable rocket launcher systems.

Just an explanation since you seemed to think mannequin when I suggested the matter.

Ah! I stand corrected I was really confused, I had never heard of such a thing before. I thought you wanted a big dude with a raccoon on his head ;)

Well I've been playing with the Backpack nuke for LP and it is looking like its going to have to wait a while,as using either KIS or BDArmory for the bomb just has a lot of pro's and con's do deal with.

I need to tweak the attachment nodes for all the guns so when they are placed on a craft either in the VAB or in flight they all point the same direction. I'm seeing some variance from model to model.

And I need to either tweak myself or have LP shorten the model for the AT-4 As it is now too long.

Eh today I'm just building stuff, had a long week. Working on Dextre from the ISS

Well I've been playing with the Backpack nuke for LP and it is looking like its going to have to wait a while,as using either KIS or BDArmory for the bomb just has a lot of pro's and con's do deal with.

I need to tweak the attachment nodes for all the guns so when they are placed on a craft either in the VAB or in flight they all point the same direction. I'm seeing some variance from model to model.

And I need to either tweak myself or have LP shorten the model for the AT-4 As it is now too long.

Eh today I'm just building stuff, had a long week. Working on Dextre from the ISS

Ok keep up the good work.

:) Very Cool. I still have some tinkering to do as far as guard mode. Haven't had very user friendly results. When using the Kerbal as a "ship" equipped with all the necessary equipment. Whether I add it to the respective gun or to a backpack. It won't work when first equipped. You need to switch to another Kerbal or vehicle, then back. And it also repeatedly will just lock up BDArmory in certain circumstances, leaving no access to the weapon manager. So far not enough good results to speak of with guard mode for Kerbals. Not ready to give up on the idea but, there are definitely a lot of issues when combining KIS with BDArmory that like to creep in. Needless to say I would welcome any help from those interested.

Also been super busy at work, I'm the lucky guy that goes around and changes the air filters in medical buildings among other maintenance issues. Spent the last two days up in a ceiling at a building that's a 120 mile round trip from home :P

:) Very Cool. I still have some tinkering to do as far as guard mode. Haven't had very user friendly results. When using the Kerbal as a "ship" equipped with all the necessary equipment. Whether I add it to the respective gun or to a backpack. It won't work when first equipped. You need to switch to another Kerbal or vehicle, then back. And it also repeatedly will just lock up BDArmory in certain circumstances, leaving no access to the weapon manager. So far not enough good results to speak of with guard mode for Kerbals. Not ready to give up on the idea but, there are definitely a lot of issues when combining KIS with BDArmory that like to creep in. Needless to say I would welcome any help from those interested.

Also been super busy at work, I'm the lucky guy that goes around and changes the air filters in medical buildings among other maintenance issues. Spent the last two days up in a ceiling at a building that's a 120 mile round trip from home :P

I noticed that you had to switch in the beta you sent. I think that is simply because it does not recognizes the weapon manager has been added yet. TBH i was ok with that. Distant future maybe but early mod build I'm ok with it.

I noticed that you had to switch in the beta you sent. I think that is simply because it does not recognizes the weapon manager has been added yet. TBH i was ok with that. Distant future maybe but early mod build I'm ok with it.

Exactly. I was entertaining the idea of adding it directly to the Kerbal but... I don't know how. And I'm unsure if that will fix the issue as the guns are still being equipped and un equipped. These may just be another one of the limitations with combining other guys great work into a hodgepodge. (A really cool hodgepodge but I digress) We'll see maybe some one will toss the answer out there. Until then I may end up leaving guard mode out for now, but make the info available to add it on your own.

Exactly. I was entertaining the idea of adding it directly to the Kerbal but... I don't know how.*snip*

I noticed Antenna Ranges had an EVA_MODULE thing in its MM config.

So I made a new config with just this:

EVA_MODULE

{
name = MissileFire
}

The result was Bill trying to shoot down Jeb.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

It was a bit fiddly because Bill was not only slowly spinning in place, but the recoil would spin him around. Had the Aeris actually been equipped with weaponry, it would've tried to perforate Bill on autopilot.

Anywho, putting the Weapons manager into kerbals is possible, and putting the ammo straight into EVA kerbals also looks to be possible with EVA_RESOURCE.

I even landed the Aeris and had Jeb run around Bill a little bit on foot. Bill shot Jeb with no mercy.

I noticed Antenna Ranges had an EVA_MODULE thing in its MM config.

So I made a new config with just this:

EVA_MODULE

{
name = MissileFire
}

The result was Bill trying to shoot down Jeb.

http://imgur.com/a/kAzli

It was a bit fiddly because Bill was not only slowly spinning in place, but the recoil would spin him around. Had the Aeris actually been equipped with weaponry, it would've tried to perforate Bill on autopilot.

Anywho, putting the Weapons manager into kerbals is possible, and putting the ammo straight into EVA kerbals also looks to be possible with EVA_RESOURCE.

I even landed the Aeris and had Jeb run around Bill a little bit on foot. Bill shot Jeb with no mercy.

Ooooo! Nice job FungusForge. So just adding "EVA_MODULE" to a MM cfg is all it needs? Did that work as soon as you equipped the gun? Or did you need to fast switch as mentioned before?

Does that mean we could offset the ammo to the Kerbal when a weapon is equipped as well? That should remove the uncontrolled rotating in place issue. I had messed around with that once before. And by removing the ammo from the weapon and equipping a backpack the Kerbal remained still. I think it has something to do with having to spawn the weapons as "Physic" plus the mass of the ammo. Where we can spawn a backpack as "part" The Kerbal's seem to reacts differently to the two modes.

And as far as recoil, we could try messing around with the weapon cfg's to reduce / eliminate recoil? I will try playing with this tonight. Thanks for the pointer.

The weapon manager did list the gun in the weapons tab as soon as I equipped it. I'll do some more testing.

EDIT:

So putting ammo into the kerbals does indeed stop the spinning.

EDIT2:

When you have a group of 2 dozen kerbals they actually pose a decent threat for armored vehicles. They can also still do the guard mode stuff after being run over. Repeatedly.

Edited by FungusForge

The weapon manager did list the gun in the weapons tab as soon as I equipped it. I'll do some more testing.

EDIT:

So putting ammo into the kerbals does indeed stop the spinning.

EDIT2:

When you have a group of 2 dozen kerbals they actually pose a decent threat for armored vehicles. They can also still do the guard mode stuff after being run over. Repeatedly.

Outstanding! Thanks man, I'll be jumping in here in about an hour or so. Thanks for the help.

Ok so that works great! The only downside is I would need to bug Toadicus about using his plugin..... But it does work great! The other issue is to require ammo backpacks / boxes for ammo. But that would eliminate the uncontrolled turning... This looks promising.

Ha that's kinda funny :) Glad your enjoying FPS.

Todicus has graciously allowed us to use his plugin! That will allow everything to integrate much smoother. I'd like to get with LordPrometheus before the next update as there are a couple things to Iron out but we are very close to a 0.2 release.

Edited by V8jester

That's a good idea! Then you can have armed patrols. The only thing I can see being unsightly is you will need to disable RCS, straightening out the Kerbals arm to allow them to move more freely. This means you will have a gun floating out in front of them while they're walking around. Won't be great for Youtube videos just yet but, It's starting to come together.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.