[Min KSP: 1.12.2] Pathfinder - Space Camping & Geoscience

Angelo Kerman

19 minutes ago, MoonstreamInSpace said:

Does this mod include 3d printing in 1.12? Does it need OSE (OSE is currently 1.10)?

Pathfinder was originally built around KIS, KAS, and OSE Workshop. There is some support for stock EVA Construction as well, but the mod would need a redesign to fully support it (attachment nodes and such need to be redone). Pathfinder doesn't come with 3D printing; Sandcastle can print Pathfinder parts with some success but there are issues.

18 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Pathfinder was originally built around KIS, KAS, and OSE Workshop. There is some support for stock EVA Construction as well, but the mod would need a redesign to fully support it (attachment nodes and such need to be redone). Pathfinder doesn't come with 3D printing; Sandcastle can print Pathfinder parts with some success but there are issues.

Thanks for letting me know! Are there any plans to modify the play modes and parts to work with Sandcastle?

9 hours ago, MoonstreamInSpace said:

Thanks for letting me know! Are there any plans to modify the play modes and parts to work with Sandcastle?

It's been awhile since I last checked, but I think I already added stock inventory storage capability to all the parts. Sandcastle should be able to print them, but I'm noticing that the flat-packed parts and boxed parts are reporting a negative mass:

AWFhYvj.png

Once I get that sorted, Sandcastle will be able to print the parts.

I also did a quick test with stock EVA Construction by surface attaching the Casa to the ship and having Bill go out and node-attach it:

KhfhAgQ.png

It looks like you'll be able to attach the parts and assemble them once I get the mass issue fixed. Pathfinder was built back in 2015, well before Sandcastle and EVA Construction, so there might be additional problems to solve. Barring an insurmountable problem, I should have a fix in the next few days.

And to lug around the parts, I highly recommend KHSK:

I'm slowly getting things sorted out. Here you can see that the Pathfinder parts now have stock inventory storage, something they've been lacking for awhile now. Additionally, when Sandcastle is installed, there will be a Sandcastle template for the Casa, and a Sand Works template for the Hacienda.

9Fxpt2N.png

All these parts were 3D printed. There are some caveats though. There appears to be an issue where the expanding mesh animations disable the part's attachment nodes, and this happens even with the stock animation module. Also, as mentioned, the mod was setup for KIS since stock EVA Construction didn't exist until recently (again, the mod was made in 2015). You can get around the problem by radially attaching the parts as seen in the above pic. As long as you keep that in mind, Pathfinder is soon to be usable with Sandcastle and stock EVA Construction.

Greetings Angel. Man you are awesome, I really like your work and ever since I discovered pathfinder, there is no mks or something for me anymore :kiss:

Now that I realised the existence of sandcastle, well ose workshop is gone too.

So if you manage to get a replacement for extraplanetary launchpads, man you will fit all the base building needs one could have.

Thanks for your work so far, and I'm looking forward for the things that will come. :science:

Edited by Revilo2601

3 hours ago, Revilo2601 said:

Greetings Angel. Man you are awesome, I really like your work and ever since I discovered pathfinder, there is no mks or something for me anymore :kiss:

Now that I realised the existence of sandcastle, well ose workshop is gone too.

So if you manage to get a replacement for extraplanetary launchpads, man you will fit all the base building needs one could have.

Thanks for your work so far, and I'm looking forward for the things that will come. :science:

Thanks for the kind words. :) I created Sandcastle after I saw OSE Workshop not getting updated for stock EVA Construction for some time (I think it does now support EVA Construction) and to have the possibility of requiring other parts and special conditions as components to the construction. Sandcastle is also built around Extraplanetary Launchpads- specifically, its plugin- to handle the heavy lifting of creating whole vessels. This isn't a simple thing to do, and @taniwha has done an outstanding job of maintaining and improving the EL code. Heck, Pathfinder has had EL support for years, and I used it last night in my own save:

OZ63YkZ.png

That big shield was built via Sandcastle's Konstruction Manipulator (which needs an update to fix a misaligned spawn transform) and EL's plugin.

That's a long-winded way of saying that I don't see replacing Extraplanetary Launchpads in the future. It works very wellIf anything, I'd setup my Visual Studio to compile EL so that if I run into a bug, I can help fix it. :)

In the meantime, I'm still sorting through the issues with Sandcastle printing parts with Pathfinder. It's definitely an integration issue in both mods; both Sandcastle and Pathfinder will need an update- Wild Blue Tools too, and Snacks, if you use Snacks.

Okay so now I'm curious, because the bug you mentioned in EL thread about that null reference, I'm encountering the exact same error, which totally disables EL on my mun base.  Don't know if a new vessel would have the same issue though. That's why I thought an EL substitute from your hands might handle it, sandcastle and pathfinder + buffalo altogether better.

And because you just can't print inflatable pathfinder parts in OSE workshop, I was happy to hear about sandcastle ^^

Or maybe it's just me, but ponderosa, casa, hacienda etc. have negative material consumption AND negative building time in my setup. Obviously they get constructed 10 days before I ordered it.

There are just 2 castillo parts which I can print, but all other inflatables don't work.

Either way: please continue your work :kiss:

2 hours ago, Revilo2601 said:

Okay so now I'm curious, because the bug you mentioned in EL thread about that null reference, I'm encountering the exact same error, which totally disables EL on my mun base.  Don't know if a new vessel would have the same issue though. That's why I thought an EL substitute from your hands might handle it, sandcastle and pathfinder + buffalo altogether better.

And because you just can't print inflatable pathfinder parts in OSE workshop, I was happy to hear about sandcastle ^^

Or maybe it's just me, but ponderosa, casa, hacienda etc. have negative material consumption AND negative building time in my setup. Obviously they get constructed 10 days before I ordered it.

There are just 2 castillo parts which I can print, but all other inflatables don't work.

Either way: please continue your work :kiss:

Yup, that negative mass issue is the same one that I'm encountering and working on a fix for. Until then, feed them into your warp engines. ;) For EL, I encountered the null reference with the disposable construction pad (which also needs a fix, sigh). The problem is that 3D printing it is for some reason creating the null reference, but launching one from KSC works just fine.

Actually I wouldn't bet my life on the fact it's because it was printed, because I have send a survey station too, which doesn't work either, or some stacks. That is... maybe the error with the pad is crashing the whole mod, but I was able to print a disposable pad before and printed another thing on top and that worked as intended.

BTW somehow el has to know which part is going to be build, and how far the progress is, you don't know where that info is saved, do you? Because I would try to delete that part and would see if it works again.

Oh and one suggestion,  because I really do like the ponderosa and such, could you add a node so we can radially attach it to something else? Like on the "door" to match another airlock.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's not quite the right place, but I don't know where else to post.

I noticed that the omniconverter template for the nuclear reactor seems to have a mistake in flow mode. It says none, but how are you supposed to transfer the fuel to the reactor if no flow is allowed? And obviously the respective part has no resource space?

Or am I missing something?

P.S.: meanwhile I managed to get the reactor running, mini irsu and the nukeworks hacienda. When I mine uranite it goes into the hacienda and is processed as expected. The thing is I have some enriched uranium and some uranite already on board, yet the reactor is not working and I have no clue why.

Edited by Revilo2601

And I can confirm that all inflatable parts are printable as expected. :heart_eyes:

Angel your whole mod suit is just great.

Though I would have one question. The Castillo parts consume 15000ish concrete... how am I supposed to store this amount if a chuckwagen can store only about 5000. Am I really forced to build 3 temporarily just to build the castillo depot?

Edited by Revilo2601

4 hours ago, Revilo2601 said:

And I can confirm that all inflatable parts are printable as expected. :heart_eyes:

Angel your whole mod suit is just great.

Though I would have one question. The Castillo parts consume 15000ish concrete... how am I supposed to store this amount if a chuckwagen can store only about 5000. Am I really forced to build 3 temporarily just to build the castillo depot?

Yes, the idea is that you build temporary shelters to house the resources to build the permanent ones. Thing of Eagle Base from NASA’s Project Eagle.

4 minutes ago, MoonstreamInSpace said:

I can't find the 3d printer templates (Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? I would have expected at least one of them to be in the Hacienda.), are they in a different thing? I downloaded both Pathfinder and Sandcastle from CKAN.

Not sure what you are referring to, but you should find the parts listed in the Sandcastle Print Shop GUI.

5 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Not sure what you are referring to, but you should find the parts listed in the Sandcastle Print Shop GUI.

I was mostly unsure how to/if you can print things using the inflatable parts. I'll try and launch KSP again to see if I just missed something, as I'm really good at missing a bunch of hard-to-miss things.

Edited by MoonstreamInSpace

3 minutes ago, MoonstreamInSpace said:

I was mostly unsure how to/if you can print things using the inflatable parts. I'll try and launch KSP again to see if I just missed something, as I'm really good at missing a bunch of hard-to-miss things.

I think I know what you ate missing. Sandcastle offers some separate parts that can print the other parts for you (well obviously that is what the description says) there are 2 buttons on the printer, one for the printing itself, one for recycling. The first one ist what you are looking for.

BTW I really like the resolution of the parts in the printer Angel. Maybe you can offer that to the el author (if I could only write his/her name properly)

4 hours ago, Revilo2601 said:

I think I know what you ate missing. Sandcastle offers some separate parts that can print the other parts for you (well obviously that is what the description says) there are 2 buttons on the printer, one for the printing itself, one for recycling. The first one ist what you are looking for.

I knew about that. In the past, when OSE was around, the Hacienda and the Casa had configurations where they would act as part printers, and I was wondering if they hand Sandcastle configurations now.