[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Getting some work done on the fairing. Texture is mostly done, then need to finish the fuel tanks and the vernier, then it should be a straight shot to cleaning everything up for release!

http://i.imgur.com/zU0sOhI.png

EDIT: Some more work on the fuel tanks.

http://i.imgur.com/3Cx9jO7.png

It's really pretty!

Can I ask what kind of texel density you use on tanks of that size? It has always been a thing I find tricky.

(Weird question, I apologize).

Edited by Beale

It's really pretty!

Can I ask what kind of texel density you use on tanks of that size? It has always been a thing I find tricky.

I'm sorry to say but I don't think I have ever actually paid attention to texel density haha. I've started to rough in the textures as I UV unwrap so I always know things will be at an acceptable level. Unfortunately that has led to me having... uh, some leftover space. The tanks are only about halfway unwrapped but you can see my predicament. I couldn't fit both the fairing (which needs a large, unique texture) and all the tanks in one 512... but now I'm thinking I should have tried.

EDIT: Thinking about it... to be quite honest, I feel like I perceive horrifically compressed textures as being part of the KSP aesthetic, but that's probably because I never play above minimum settings. My parts probably look awful in game next to others.

cbfnPM1.jpg

pajcxYR.png

8tNqdKi.jpg

Nkwhohp.jpg

Edited by CobaltWolf

I'm sorry to say but I don't think I have ever actually paid attention to texel density haha. I've started to rough in the textures as I UV unwrap so I always know things will be at an acceptable level. Unfortunately that has led to me having... uh, some leftover space. The tanks are only about halfway unwrapped but you can see my predicament. I couldn't fit both the fairing (which needs a large, unique texture) and all the tanks in one 512... but now I'm thinking I should have tried.

EDIT: Thinking about it... to be quite honest, I feel like I perceive horrifically compressed textures as being part of the KSP aesthetic, but that's probably because I never play above minimum settings. My parts probably look awful in game next to others.

http://i.imgur.com/cbfnPM1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pajcxYR.png

http://i.imgur.com/8tNqdKi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Nkwhohp.jpg

I absolutely love your style! It's stockalike but almost futuristic? Idk it's like parts from 20 years in the future of the KSP universe. They are beautiful and fit in with people who want stock installs with some added flair and utility. Looking forward to everything that you make.

I absolutely love your style! It's stockalike but almost futuristic? Idk it's like parts from 20 years in the future of the KSP universe. They are beautiful and fit in with people who want stock installs with some added flair and utility. Looking forward to everything that you make.

Twenty years in the future, but they're all modeled after older spacecrafts!

CyrdFaE.png

"But Cobalt, isn't that the same as last time?"

Quiet you. I had too much space left so now the main tank has a bespoke fully unwrapped texture, no overlap. So now I have a bit more flexibility + can paint in some AO. The other three tanks stay the same.

http://i.imgur.com/cbfnPM1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/pajcxYR.png

http://i.imgur.com/8tNqdKi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Nkwhohp.jpg

Thanks for the info!

I think we have very much the same approach :wink: I notice on the UV map pics, you have enough space to possible put more things on that sheet in the future.

For the 512x512 they look really amazing!

The new unwrap also very good, AO is always so much of an improvement.

Thanks for the info!

I think we have very much the same approach :wink: I notice on the UV map pics, you have enough space to possible put more things on that sheet in the future.

For the 512x512 they look really amazing!

The new unwrap also very good, AO is always so much of an improvement.

I hate 512x512... it's bigger than I need for a lot of stuff but a 256 is often too small. It's like I'll need 512x256 for the major components of a texture sheet (in this case the main tank unwrap) and then another 256x256 quadrant for all the smaller pieces (rims, etc)... leaving another 256x256 of the texture sheet wasted. I want to go back and add more to them. For example, the Atlas engine sheet, in addition to the LR105, LR89 and LR101, will also likely get the Agena engine I modeled a while back but haven't had time to unwrap. But I feel like that could quickly get disorganized, using all these random textures. I liked your monopropellant box part so I'll probably just have to wait for something appropriate I can squeeze in.

Probably the most sloppy thing I've ever thrown together, but with the current dev release parts- Have an Atlas 2.

http://imgur.com/a/5jVWP

The possibilities are endless, so long as you only have a need for early Atlas rockets! :P

What did you use for the verniers? 0.o

EDIT: For anyone who hasn't gathered, I'll be putting up a stream tomorrow night while I try to pound out the rest of the art for the update. I'll post a link once I have the stream up. Feel free to stop in, say hello, keep me company haha. In theory I could put out a dev release afterwards, but I'm going to try and get the full release out the next morning. Hopefully that gives time for any critical bugs to be found + fixed before hiatus.

Edited by CobaltWolf

What did you use for the verniers? 0.o

EDIT: For anyone who hasn't gathered, I'll be putting up a stream tomorrow night while I try to pound out the rest of the art for the update. I'll post a link once I have the stream up. Feel free to stop in, say hello, keep me company haha.

The verniers are the standard stock "Twitch" engines offset to ~45 degrees. :P

Ah. So twice as powerful but half the gimbal of mine.

I guess, but it works well. As you and I have talked about a few times, I like to play with rescales(That current install is Harder Solar System 3x because I'm cool) so it can't quite make it into orbit without an upper stage(Talking about the Atlas 1 of course... Atlas 2 has an upper stage; Centaur) but it all works like a charm.

I guess, but it works well. As you and I have talked about a few times, I like to play with rescales(That current install is Harder Solar System 3x because I'm cool) so it can't quite make it into orbit without an upper stage(Talking about the Atlas 1 of course... Atlas 2 has an upper stage; Centaur) but it all works like a charm.

Well, I am a tweakscale... uh, man of the night, so all the Atlas / Centaur stuff will support tweakscale on release.

So excited. :D

I started recently playing with rescales (K-365) and I'm hooked. So gorgeous and makes me appreciate the majesty of space. :D

It requires editing ISP but it works. (Astronautix has good references)

Anyways I can't wait to get my hands on the Atlas and I hope you still have plans for the Mercury (Mk1 capsule). :D

So excited. :D

I started recently playing with rescales (K-365) and I'm hooked. So gorgeous and makes me appreciate the majesty of space. :D

It requires editing ISP but it works. (Astronautix has good references)

Anyways I can't wait to get my hands on the Atlas and I hope you still have plans for the Mercury (Mk1 capsule). :D

I do still have plans but they won't be in this update. I think I want to do vega with a tiny MOL type thing for early game science lab stuff.

atlasveg.gif

I guess I'll deflate the hype, I may have shot myself in the foot but saying something about a surprise or whatever. PassingLurker gave me the files for his Bloeting Corp mod and those parts are going to be integrated into my Mercury stuff, and will be expanded with an early small LES and maybe more. So a nice treat for people like me that really liked those parts. They'll probably get their own bespoke textures though.

Honestly, all you need is a maneuvering system, LES, and a retro package.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Will the MOL have an IVA eventually?

There is already RCS and retro packs included in the Bloeting parts. I pretty much just need to add an LES... I'm tentative on including the capsule. Not sure I see a point in adding it if you can just use the Mk1.

For IVA, I'm going to say no. I've heard too many nightmares about IVAs. Personally? I don't ever use them when I play. I know they're nice and all but it seems like more work than its worth. I already feel like I don't have enough time to implement everything I want with this mod.

On the topic of the future, some ideas I've been tossing around:

-Finish Atlas V (this is happening at some point no matter what)

-Agena style upper stage parts (also pretty much guaranteed)

-Vanguard (starting tech, .9375m first stage and .625m second stage)

-Redstone-Sparta (finish the Redstone with it's own tank, add some upper stage solids)

-Titan? Maybe. I almost feel like I'd rather push people towards using the CONTARES one. :)

-ALSEP mod - ground science that requires kerbals! Would probably be a separate mod if it happens, since it'd need more dependencies.

-Rosetta/Philae. I emailed dtobi about adopting the Philly probe claw from his Asteroid Cities mod but he hasn't replied, so I'd have to make the baby claw myself. Also would include some new probe science (the Philae drill is interesting and would make a good robotic surface sample experiment)

-General early game probe expansion, including parts from the Explorer, Ranger, and Pioneer series, as well as some Russian inspired stuff.

It's all stuff I'd like to do at some point, I'm just a bit unsure of the order. :)

EDIT: To be clear, the only thing happening in the near future is Atlas release. Next update probably wouldn't be until December except maybe small bugfixes.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Agena, Titan and mercury external parts. Yes I'd love to see that.

I like Contares, but I'd like to see something more stockalike.

I don't think a capsule is necessary. Mk1 is good enough.

Atlas V, I'd say include AJ (aerojet) SRBs and boom! Your done.

Probes YES! I'd say Ranger, Pioneer, and maybe some of the Surveyor parts.

Edited by davidy12

Agena, Titan and mercury external parts. Yes I'd love to see that.

I like Contares, but I'd like to see something more stockalike.

I don't think a capsule is necessary. Mk1 is good enough.

Atlas V, I'd say include AJ (aerojet) SRBs and boom! Your done.

Probes YES! I'd say Ranger, Pioneer, and maybe some of the Surveyor parts.

The Atlas V needs an art pass and another segment of the CCB tank (longer than a Jumbo, somewhat plain). So a bit more than just SRBs, but it's mostly there. I probably *won't* make the boosters look like the Aerojets... I'm not a huge fan of how they work.

I guess for Titan my point is that it's somewhat down on my priorities.

Oh, you mean how they're asymmetrical?

Yeah I know what you mean. However, although it looks weird, I tried it in my stock and FAR install and amazingly, it worked.

So apparently those rocket scientists at ULA must've known what they were doing! :sticktongue:

Also, I just thought of another LV that's never even got a proper RO/RSS incarnation let alone Stock (to my knowledge). What about a thor-able rocket?