[1.1.3] MKS Lite - A lighter, friendlier colonization mod from USI [0.4.4]

RoverDude

Rover,

Haven't seen anything about it here and as I'm just now trying MKS Lite, not sure if it was a previous issue. I have a Kerbal with several items in their inventory. I have them enter the Hab module. Then have them EVA and all their inventory is gone and doesn't seem to exist anywhere in the structure. Is it being transitioned somewhere or has the Great Krakken gotten hungry for a snack?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, jmbailey2000 said:

Rover,

Haven't seen anything about it here and as I'm just now trying MKS Lite, not sure if it was a previous issue. I have a Kerbal with several items in their inventory. I have them enter the Hab module. Then have them EVA and all their inventory is gone and doesn't seem to exist anywhere in the structure. Is it being transitioned somewhere or has the Great Krakken gotten hungry for a snack?

Thanks!

Known issue with KIS and inflatable parts.  Stow your tools before entering the bouncy castles, they can't hold them.  ;)

49 minutes ago, DStaal said:

Known issue with KIS and inflatable parts.  Stow your tools before entering the bouncy castles, they can't hold them.  ;)

I mean everything in the Kerbal's inventory screen disappears, not just the tool they are currently equipped with. I don't have this issue when testing the Pathfinder mod, just MKS Lite.

7 hours ago, jmbailey2000 said:

I mean everything in the Kerbal's inventory screen disappears, not just the tool they are currently equipped with. I don't have this issue when testing the Pathfinder mod, just MKS Lite.

Right.  It is still a KIS issue whenever  you traverse a module that has no seat inventory.  It also has the issue if you put items in a seat inventory that has no kerbal sitting in.

Only safest method is to put your kerbals inventory into a normal KIS inventory before going back inside.

Still have no idea how to put a kerbal in there. I'm playing in Science Mode (not career). KSP 1.05, these addons are installed: 

Spoiler

{
    "kind": "metapackage",
    "abstract": "A list of modules installed on the default KSP instance",
    "name": "installed-default",
    "license": "unknown",
    "version": "2016.03.07.06.24.36",
    "identifier": "installed-default",
    "spec_version": "v1.6",
    "depends": [
        {
            "name": "GravityTurn",
            "version": "1.3.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "EditorExtensions",
            "version": "2.12"
        },
        {
            "name": "USITools",
            "version": "0.6.3.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "RandSCapsuledyne",
            "version": "1:1.5.3"
        },
        {
            "name": "BDAnimationModules",
            "version": "v0.6.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalAlarmClock",
            "version": "v3.5.0.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "NavHud",
            "version": "1.2.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "ModuleManager",
            "version": "2.6.20"
        },
        {
            "name": "TarsierSpaceTechnologyWithGalaxies",
            "version": "1:5.8"
        },
        {
            "name": "KerbalEngineerRedux",
            "version": "1.0.19.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "SpacetuxSA",
            "version": "0.3.9.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityResourcePack",
            "version": "0.4.9.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "TacFuelBalancer",
            "version": "v2.5.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "SpaceY-Lifters",
            "version": "1.11"
        },
        {
            "name": "PreciseNode",
            "version": "1.2.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "StockFuelSwitch",
            "version": "1.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "SCANsat",
            "version": "v14.8"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureConstruction",
            "version": "0.5.5"
        },
        {
            "name": "B9AerospaceProceduralParts",
            "version": "0.40"
        },
        {
            "name": "KSPInterstellarExtended",
            "version": "1.6.9"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureSpacecraft",
            "version": "0.4.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureProps",
            "version": "0.4.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureElectrical-Core",
            "version": "0.6.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "TweakScale",
            "version": "v2.2.6"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFuturePropulsion",
            "version": "0.6.1"
        },
        {
            "name": "ThrottleControlledAvionics",
            "version": "2.3.0.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "CrossFeedEnabler",
            "version": "v3.3"
        },
        {
            "name": "CommunityTechTree",
            "version": "2.3"
        },
        {
            "name": "FirespitterCore",
            "version": "v7.1.5"
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureSolar",
        },
        {
            "name": "NearFutureElectrical",
            "version": "0.6.2"
        },
        {
            "name": "InterstellarFuelSwitch-Core",
            "version": "1.18"
        },
        {
            "name": "WaypointManager",
            "version": "2.4.5"
        },
        {
            "name": "FilterExtensions",
            "version": "2.4.1.3"
        },
        {
            "name": "Toolbar",
            "version": "1.7.10"
        },
        {
            "name": "InterstellarFuelSwitch",
            "version": "1.18"
        },
        {
            "name": "Trajectories",
            "version": "v1.4.5"
        },
        {
            "name": "xScience",
            "version": "4.14"
        },
        {
            "name": "InfernalRobotics",
            "version": "v0.21.4"
        },
        {
            "name": "USI-Core",
            "version": "0.1.8.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "USI-LS",
            "version": "0.3.15.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "USI-UKS-Shared",
            "version": "0.1.10.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "USI-MKSLite",
            "version": "0.3.3.0"
        },
        {
            "name": "KAS",
        }
    ]
}

Tried to install KIS as well, doesnt change anything.

Now i tried a clean install with only MKS-Lite and USI Lifesuppport. Started new in sandbox. Still doesnt work. I'm able to transfer crew into Habitation Module, but not into Agricultural.

Ship Manifest doesnt work either. It does even less than default transfer - doesnt recognize Habitat as a target.

I'm out of ideas. Maybe its a bug and i'm not supposed to do a kerbal in there????

Edited by Tahib

41 minutes ago, Tahib said:

Now i tried a clean install with only MKS-Lite and USI Lifesuppport. Started new in sandbox. Still doesnt work. I'm able to transfer crew into Habitation Module, but not into Agricultural.

Ship Manifest doesnt work either. It does even less than default transfer - doesnt recognize Habitat as a target.

I'm out of ideas. Maybe its a bug and i'm not supposed to do a kerbal in there????

Or it could be a bug.

When comparing the two parts, The Habitation has the following:

MODULE
    {
        name = USIAnimation
        animationName = Deploy
        inflatable = true
        InflatedResourceThreshold = 100
        CrewCapacity = 4
    }

For the Ag module it has:

MODULE
    {
        name = USIAnimation
        animationName = Deploy
    }

I don't know what the values should be but when I add the lines from the hab module to the Ag module I can then transfer a kerbal to the ag module.

[Edit]

When looking at the same part for MKS (I don't typically use MKS-L) the ag module there has the following settings.  I would imagine they should be the same for both mods.

MODULE
    {
        name = USIAnimation
        animationName = Deploy
        inflatable = true
        CrewCapacity = 2
    }

Edited by goldenpsp

MKS Lite newbie here, with a few questions...

Can I get an explanation of ModuleResourceDistributor, ModulePowerDistributor, ModulePowerCoupler, and ModuleLogisticsConsumer? I'm thinking that they have something to do with how resources and power are shared among nearby ships/bases, and that a part of each ship/base has to have these in order to partake or share those... But I'm not sure.

It looks like some parts (the Hab and Agriculture module) use up Replacement Parts. This doesn't seem to jive well with USI Life Support, which (a) doesn't use Replacement Parts right now and (b) plans to use them for maintenance purposes rather than directly in running equipment. At least as far as I understand. Is there any reason for this discrepancy? In any case, it makes me feel unbalanced since the MKS Lite Recyclers need these Replacement Parts while the USI-LS parts (or modified stock parts) don't. Any recommendations on balancing this out?

And if I am going to make use of Replacement Parts, is there a way to produce them on site or do they have to be delivered?

Is there an explanation of the various windows that come with this mod? I noticed 3 new buttons on my toolbar and can't figure out what they do/show. Are they all relevant to MKS Lite, or are some of them carryovers from other USI stuff?

It seems like this mod comes packed with unnecessary extras from USI. Am I missing something and there's a reason for it all? The nuclear reactors particularly don't seem to have any place being packaged along, since I have no way of doing anything with the resources. Do you guys pack these up and use them until the fuel dies or just ignore them?

First off, Roverdude, i love your mod(s)! I have MKS lite and USI-LS installed. First wanted to get my feet wet with lite, then move over to full pull!

I am playing career. I installed the mods recently and have been playing for quite some time without em, i did not start over, i am using an exsisting save.

I am about to build my first base on minmus and really looking forward to it. I wanted to do some kerbol SC testing before i launch to be sure everything is working correctly... and i am glad i did... coz it seems we have a problem. Or i do something wrong. I have a command pod with lander module attached, expanded hab module, working sifter and expanded arphonics bay. Have enough power. Life support is activated, also tried lights on and of. Dust and ore drilling is working. 

I am trying to make the workflow as stated here under point 6 https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS-LITE/wiki/Base-Building-Parts but am unable to. I cannot get the mulch to turn into fertilizer. The arphonics bay keeps saying that it needs fertilizer. Problem 2: the arphonics bay keeps saying it has not enough crew (0/1). I cannot add crew to it. Tried pilot, engineer and scientist. Also moved all of em outside, into the command module and into the hab. No difference.

Am i doing something wrong?

Edited by TiBERiUM

9 hours ago, TiBERiUM said:

Problem 2: the [agroponics] bay keeps saying it has not enough crew (0/1). I cannot add crew to it.

I just noticed this to. It looks like the part config doesn't specify a CrewCapacity. (it does for the Recycler module, but not for the part itself)

TiBERiUM, you can fix this yourself in the meantime if you like. Find this file and open it in Notepad or some other text editor program: \KSP\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\MKS-LITE\Parts\MKSL_AgModule.cfg. Add "CrewCapacity = 1" on its own line, just below where you see "name = USIAnimation". You could change that 1 to something higher if you want it to hold more, but since we don't know what it's supposed to be I'd go with just 1 for now. Save the file and open the game. You should be able to put crew in the Agroponics Module now just like you'd put them into any other part. I don't think the part has an exterior hatch, so you might have to transfer them from the inside. I don't think the Kerbal's skill (pilot/engineer/scientist) matters for this part.

Edit: creating an issue on GitHub for this

Edited by jofwu

Dear RoverDude,

The new updates seem to have caused an issue with MKS Lite. I don't see why planetary warehousing is spilling over into MKS Lite, it seems not to be a helpful feature here. But that aside, even with warehousing turned off Kontainers are stuck at half full on Minimus. Resource transfers between docked units are impossible. The issue is causing me all kinds of grief. I've logged it in full in github under/together with another issue which at least to me seemed related, together with steps to reproduce the issue (apologies for the longish post and 2 edits that only then finally get to the point, took me a while to understand what the issue actually was) : https://github.com/BobPalmer/UmbraSpaceIndustries/issues/44#issuecomment-193889331

Edited by liTWave

7 hours ago, jofwu said:

I just noticed this to. It looks like the part config doesn't specify a CrewCapacity. (it does for the Recycler module, but not for the part itself)

TiBERiUM, you can fix this yourself in the meantime if you like. Find this file and open it in Notepad or some other text editor program: \KSP\GameData\UmbraSpaceIndustries\MKS-LITE\Parts\MKSL_AgModule.cfg. Add "CrewCapacity = 1" on its own line, just above where you see "TechRequired = advConstruction". You could change that 1 to something higher if you want it to hold more, but since we don't know what it's supposed to be I'd go with just 1 for now. Save the file and open the game. You should be able to put crew in the Agroponics Module now just like you'd put them into any other part. I don't think the part has an exterior hatch, so you might have to transfer them from the inside. I don't think the Kerbal's skill (pilot/engineer/scientist) matters for this part.

Edit: creating an issue on GitHub for this

my outstanding pull request on github fixes this, and other unrelated (TAC-based) stuff.

@speedwaystar, that looks great.

While looking through the MKSL_AgModule.cfg I was wondering... any clue why there's the ModuleCommand with minimumCrew=1? I don't see that it does anything. Seems to me like it should be removed.

I also think the part should hold 2 Kerbals rather than just 1. Seems big enough to imagine two of them working in there at the same time. But that's just my two cents.

1 hour ago, jofwu said:

I also think the part should hold 2 Kerbals rather than just 1. Seems big enough to imagine two of them working in there at the same time. But that's just my two cents.

i was wondering that myself, but left it at 1, which RoverDude can change if/when he merges the pull request. i guess he's quite busy with KSP 1.1 atm, which is in crunch mode.

Thanks guys, and jofwu in particular for the clear instuction. (and goldenpsp for the analisys) Problem 2 is now solved, i am able to get the AG bay working by letting kerbals enter. It requires as input both mulch AND fertilizer though... makes me wonder: is my first problem (unable to create fertilizer from mulch in hab) really a problem? Or is it design? There is also a part (not included in hab, its separate) that converts dirt into fertilizer... Maybe my assumption that mulch is supposed to be converted to fertilizer is incorrect? That assumption came from the instruction on the wiki though. That would also mean that the link i posted earlier has an outdated workflow.

Edited by TiBERiUM

4 hours ago, TiBERiUM said:

It requires as input both mulch AND fertilizer though... makes me wonder: is my first problem (unable to create fertilizer from mulch in hab) really a problem? Or is it design? There is also a part (not included in hab, its separate) that converts dirt into fertilizer... Maybe my assumption that mulch is supposed to be converted to fertilizer is incorrect? That assumption came from the instruction on the wiki though. That would also mean that the link i posted earlier has an outdated workflow.

The Wiki is indeed out of date. This isn't how the Hab or Ag modules work anymore. I'm just getting familiar with this mod myself, but I went through the Wiki and tried to correct as much information as I could that is outdated. You question actually concerns USI Life Support more than it concerns MKS Lite. Have a look at the Resources page on the USI-LS wiki.

The quick answer is that there are two important kinds of life support modules: Recyclers and Converters. A Recycler reduces the rate which your Kerbals use Supplies. If you open the USI-LS mod window in game (green cube) it displays the overall consumption rate of your ship (Supplies per day). If you turn on a Recycler you should see this number reduced. A Converter turns Mulch + Fertilizer + ElectricCharge into Supplies. In "plain" USI-LS you have to bring Fertilizer along in order to use a Converter. Doing so will extend the life of your Supplies, because you can get a lot of Supplies with a small amount of Fertilizer (along with EC, that can be generated, and Mulch, which is virtually in infinite supply unless you're dumping it). But what you're looking for is the Portable Extractor. It will convert Dirt to Fertilizer. So as long as you're digging up dirt and holding on to ElectricCharge you can constantly feed your Ag Module with Fertilizer to keep your Supplies coming.

The Hab is only a Recycler. The Ag module is both a Recycler and a Converter, though it's recycling capabilities aren't nearly as good as the Hab's.

• 2 weeks later...

what's the best way to merge these two scout modules? if i link them with a FlexOTube (which i forgot to bring with me... oops!) will KSP treat them as one structure which can share resources?

ByudZ6m.png

i thought it best to ask before i send another mission on its way. :)

Edited by speedwaystar

1.1 Pre-Release is up!

0.4.0 - 2016.03.29
---------------
Compatibility with KSP 1.1
Dependency Updates
With the advent of part search, moved all USI parts back to standard categories
Planetary Storage and Warehouse Distribution now respect disabled warehouses
Warehouses are disabled by default
LightGlobe is now a logistics consumer
Dirt auto-jettison is now based on a positive Periapsis
Added ReplacementParts recipe for EL
Fixed an issue where overflow was not properly transfering into planetary logistics during long catch-up mechanics

Download from GitHub:   https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS-LITE/releases