[1.3.x] CONTARES 1.8.9 closed

hraban

5 hours ago, Captain Planet said:

Hraban, any chance you could add a suspension module/animation to the U_BTG_LEG (aka the USLG-7 retractable leg)? It would be really cool to have the leg contract when under a lot of weight, like the stock landing legs do.

Uh ... the landing legs should not really be included in the Mod!
Sorry but the landing legs are not really usable. The wheel collider is missing thereby objects sticking on the ground as soon as the landing legs are extended.

Following the project "REX free flyer" a few impressions of a supplementary small project. The image sequence shows the first, something simple prototype and fairly accurate replica of the REX, of course with artistic freedoms.

What is REX?

A spacecraft that carrying unmanned small loads to space stations but more importantly, to bring Scientific experiments with low G-load back to the planet. REX use planar heat shield tiles served which cheaper to manufacture and require less variation.

First impressions of the REX Free Flyer:

The model is scale with 2.8m length and a maximum width of 1.66m. The model is optimized for KSP Stock physics. Landings are possible manually from an orbit of up to 150 km. In a continuous AoA of 15-20°, the surface reaches a maximum of 2000°K. The parachute is triggered at a height of 500-1000m and a speed of 60 m/s. The structural stresses on complete recovery procedure is a maximum of 2 G.

Edited by hraban

23 minutes ago, hraban said:

Maybe at the weekend ...

... but settings and adjustments for 6.4k and FAR I do not do!

No worries I am not afraid of getting in the configs myself. Great mod!

31 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Something about the Zenit rocket in this pack seems horribly over powered... Just the first two stages has over 9000 delta-v with a pretty hefty payload!

Considering the scale and size of Kerbin the first stage is about 10% too strong. Please remember that the main engines of ZENIT be throttled by about 1/3 of the burn time to 75% of maximum power. The ZENIT has no potential for lighter payloads. Under 12 tons, the rocket is not much good for LKO. In the illustration, the first stage consists of 1x CST-87 8m and 1x CST-87 4m (total 12m) tank. The second stage fueltank consists of 1x CST-87 2m and 1x CST-87 1m (total 3m) fueltank. With a payload of 13 tons, the results with the third stage DM-SKB I is a Total dV 4176 m/s.

The use as launcher strikes me more as a stopgap after the main engine was no longer needed as a booster for the Energia.

In principle, the engines of my Mod are significantly closer to the necessities of the Stock KSP as of Tantares which are powerd partly more than 30%.

Edited by hraban

1 minute ago, hraban said:

What should be strange to REX? Your statement irritates me. Is it a little more detail.
Here you get a little bit about REX Free Flyer and the results of preliminary investigations.

Oh, I don't question its performance. It just looks very different. It's almost like a sci-fi craft from the 70's

21 minutes ago, akron said:

Oh, I don't question its performance. It just looks very different. It's almost like a sci-fi craft from the 70's

20 minutes ago, trooperMNG said:

kinda looks like a paper plane :P

Yes, it looks weird and like a simple paper model. Nevertheless, it is a relatively modern concept which could significantly reduce production costs of heat protection tiles.

Precisely for this reason absolutely right for KSP! :cool:

Edited by hraban

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.