[1.3.x] CONTARES 1.8.9 closed

hraban

On 06/04/2017 at 0:54 PM, hraban said:

From the sketchboard:

Parts for the construction of 90 ton space station modules inspired by various pictures of different origins.

mir2-90t1,medium_large.1491479329.png

mir2-90t2,medium_large.1491479333.png

On 06/04/2017 at 5:01 PM, CobaltWolf said:

What pictures?

EDIT: NVM just saw that Beale linked them above...

EDIT2: Wait no that's just Polyus stuff.

I'm curious too. Are there any reference pics?

19 minutes ago, Beale said:

I'm curious too. Are there any reference pics?

The whole was probably a shot in the oven. The alleged project drawings turned out to be fancy products of a mod for the Orbiter simulator from the year 2008. This comes from when one is not united with english in peace :)
Basically, the idea is not bad but pure fiction.

The drawings and models are stored in the warehouse of the 111 still planned and perhaps prosecuted projects.

Here you find the cause of the confusion: http://www.kulch.spb.ru/Eng/mir2_project.html

Edited by hraban

The last days were spent a lot of time on the Techtree. Hopefully this is something to be appreciated by the "career" players. Furthermore clearing work was carried out which should increase the overview in the mod directory. After the interest in POLJUS is nearly null, the project falls out and will not find any entry into the upcoming update.

HIGGS 5m Class Launcher is making progress:

front-HIGGS-1-1,medium_large.1492359975.pngfront-HIGGS-1-2,medium_large.1492360030.pngfront-Untitled-Space-Craft-37,medium_large.1492360000.png

The fine work on C-MiR (station parts), C-TKS (spaceship and station parts) and UNION (Soyuz spaceship) have been completed.

In three to four weeks probably the next update can take place.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I mean, I thought Poljus was awesome...

Two or three reports on the subject of POLYUS are not enough to carry on the controversial project. The alternative possibilities of use are too limited and a weapon-technical use is not a question for Contares.

Proposals for the alternative use of POLJUS in the sense of peaceful use are welcome.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

make it into an Orion style nuclear pulse engine. Didn't it have nuclear mine laying equipment?

Contares rejected the use of nuclear drives, warheads and reactors. Only the use of radioactive material in small quantities are necessarily tolerated.

The first HIGGS verification flight fulfilled all expectations. The payload capacity for the first 2 stages is exactly 90t. This payload can be transported into a 120km LKO and there is enough fuel to deorbitize the second stage with a second ignition.

front-HIGGS-3-4,large.1492423044.pngfront-HIGGS-3-5,large.1492423046.png

It is not possible to subsequently add parts (for example, with KAS) to animated objects. In addition, the construction of space stations, in particular the transport of long and unwieldy structural parts, has always caused problems. After careful consideration and analysis of the parts delivered by Sqad, the idea came up to modify the system of the extendable docking port.
Although it is not possible to add parts to the truss structure itself, this can be done without difficulty on a further, significantly shorter, docked part.

In the sample picture is a approximately 15m long carrier to see which at the upper end has a docking port.

docking-truss,medium_large.1492531579.PNG

If the idea had already been taken elsewhere, I would be grateful for an appropriate note.

Truss left side deployed

screenshot239,medium_large.1492549156.png

Truss right side deployed

screenshot240,medium_large.1492549149.png

TKS on approach

screenshot242,medium_large.1492549172.png

docked!

screenshot243,medium_large.1492549166.png

As long as an object is docked, the structure can not be retracted. It should be exactly like this.

Edited by hraban

On 4/16/2017 at 5:42 PM, hraban said:

After the interest in POLJUS is nearly null, the project falls out and will not find any entry into the upcoming update.

14 hours ago, hraban said:

screenshot243,medium_large.1492549166.png

As long as an object is docked, the structure can not be retracted. It should be exactly like this.

I think it's one of your best looking parts ever, the Polyus, given some functionality it would be a really cool craft. I am planning to implement my own version when I finally get over the mountain of MIR / TKS parts.

The extend-o-truss is very cool! I would like to imagine it could be made to retract while docked and "pull" things in, but that will probably cause the physics system to catch fire.

Edited by Beale

2 hours ago, Beale said:

I think it's one of your best looking parts ever, the Polyus, given some functionality it would be a really cool craft.

The extend-o-truss is very cool! I would like to imagine it could be made to retract while docked and "pull" things in, but that will probably cause the physics system to catch fire.

For POLJUS, several applications could be considered:
1. as a conventional space station
2. In conjunction with LaserDist (https://www.spacedock.info/mod/765/LaserDist) for the distance measurement of various objects.
3. As a reconnaissance and surveying station, the lateral pods for test bodies are replaced by two SAR antenna complexes.

extend-o-truss: For this reason, the animation is switched off in the docked state :). Your wish is more likely to be realized with Infernal Robotics.

Edited by hraban

35 minutes ago, akron said:

Your textures on the newer parts is looking top notch. Specially C-POLJUS

Sometimes less is more. There is nothing special about the textures, no special shader, no "ferry" textures. Everything is simply hand-painted. The only special is the relatively dark base color, which should not be any darker than RGB 60/60/60.

screenshot249,medium_large.1492623709.png

Edited by hraban

19 minutes ago, hraban said:

Sometimes less is more. There is nothing special about the textures, no special shader, no "ferry" textures. Everything is simply hand-painted. The only special is the relatively dark base color, which should not be any darker than RGB 60/60/60.

screenshot249,medium_large.1492623709.png

There is definitely improvement. HIGGS is looking good as well

<Insert picture of Fry from Futurama holding a bunch of cash with the the caption "Shut up and take my compliment">  :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.