Depreciated SVE -Do Not Enter-

Nhawks17

Just an update, I have Laythe almost done.. At least as done as I can right now, once I figure out whats causing the atmosphere visual glitch on the ground I'll update it but I'm going to release it anyways. It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do the bio-fluorescent clouds because of the switch to a 0-255 system instead of a 0-1 which seemed to let you go over 1 but with the 255 system it doesn't so I don't think I can achieve the same effect Astronomer was able to do.

On another note, do you guys want the clouds of Jool to look like Jupiter, so there'd be the great green spot :P , or do you want a different looking cloud layer?

Just an update, I have Laythe almost done.. At least as done as I can right now, once I figure out whats causing the atmosphere visual glitch on the ground I'll update it but I'm going to release it anyways. It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do the bio-fluorescent clouds because of the switch to a 0-255 system instead of a 0-1 which seemed to let you go over 1 but with the 255 system it doesn't so I don't think I can achieve the same effect Astronomer was able to do.

On another note, do you guys want the clouds of Jool to look like Jupiter, so there'd be the great green spot :P , or do you want a different looking cloud layer?

Maybe try something new with jool? :3

Iirc I heard Pingopete mention recently that with the current EVE you can only have either the orbital ground texture or the surface texture. And seeing is how 99% of time is not spent on the ground the orbital texture gets priority until Rbray works something out with EVE to allow both consecutively.

Iirc I heard Pingopete mention recently that with the current EVE you can only have either the orbital ground texture or the surface texture. And seeing is how 99% of time is not spent on the ground the orbital texture gets priority until Rbray works something out with EVE to allow both consecutively.

IMO ground is the priority. Orbital looks more or less good, and is partially covered by scatterer atmosphere and clouds. Ground, on the other side, is ugly.

Plus like I said earlier I'm going to finish the atmospheric effects of all the planets and moons before I even look into custom terrain stuff. The only reason Kerbin has it is because pingopete already had them available for Kerbin.

Yea here from the RVE thread.

The ground textures are working it's just I can only use the orbital scaled textures or ground textures (either or) at the moment. I chose the orbital ones because like you say most people spend there time in orbit. Hopefully we'll get some fixes from rbray and I can include both orbit and low level ground textures at the same time.

Everything there looks as it should be for the time being :)

@Sashan - I would have to disagree. Maybe for the stock game you spend more time on the ground, but RVE was initially built for RSS. And in RSS 99% of the time your not on the ground. And when you are you don't spend much time there. Rovers really aren't practical in RSS other then recreating certain missions. The distances are too large in the real world.

But seeing is how you have to chose one or the other for SVE here id say the orbital texture gets priority.

Edited by Motokid600

But seeing is how you have to chose one or the other for SVE here id say the orbital texture gets priority.

Pity. I spend lots of time building bases or making extended-stay missions on planets. Let's take typical Duna mission - are you going to wait 200 days or so until the launch window in space? Of course you'd like to do something on surface. Especially if you have kis/kas. And ground draws up much more attention when you are on the planet than planet surface when you are in space. Also, airplanes - I see there are lots of people who stay on Kerbin. I do it often, like one month of aeronautics, one month of astronautics.

RVE - yes, for RSS. But we are talking about SVE here.

Please make ground textures a priority at least for atmospheric planets. They are so plain and ugly up close... Even Mun is better.

Also, have you considered trying to use cloud layer for ground texture? AFAIK it can be make to show up only from certain altitude...

If you are going to make orbital textures I suggest aiming for this high contrast bumpy look:

208698main_merc_horizon.jpg

Pity. I spend lots of time building bases or making extended-stay missions on planets. Let's take typical Duna mission - are you going to wait 200 days or so until the launch window in space? Of course you'd like to do something on surface. Especially if you have kis/kas. And ground draws up much more attention when you are on the planet than planet surface when you are in space. Also, airplanes - I see there are lots of people who stay on Kerbin. I do it often, like one month of aeronautics, one month of astronautics.

RVE - yes, for RSS. But we are talking about SVE here.

Please make ground textures a priority at least for atmospheric planets. They are so plain and ugly up close... Even Mun is better.

Also, have you considered trying to use cloud layer for ground texture? AFAIK it can be make to show up only from certain altitude...

If you are going to make orbital textures I suggest aiming for this high contrast bumpy look:

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/208698main_merc_horizon.jpg

Yea here from the RVE thread.

@Sashan - I would have to disagree. Maybe for the stock game you spend more time on the ground, but RVE was initially built for RSS. And in RSS 99% of the time your not on the ground. And when you are you don't spend much time there. Rovers really aren't practical in RSS other then recreating certain missions. The distances are too large in the real world.

Well hopefully by the time I actually do get around to doing it, rbray will have implemented a way to use both. I haven't even looked into how the terrain system works yet, what you see now on Kerbin is what was in RVE and it just so happened to work on stock without me needing to alter it. As for which one I'd use (i.e. Orbital or Ground) I'd more than likely follow pingopete's decision to do orbital ones, and that's all depending on if this is still an issue by the time I work on it.

And sashan, regarding your cloud layer for texture usage suggestion. The way the cloud layer works is that it's view-able from anywhere, you can't tell it at which altitude to come into play or out of play. I think you 'might' be able to do that with Texture Replacer but I'm not going for a pack like Proot has done and change everything. The most I'll go outside of EVE is for whatever mod will add rings.

All in all, I think custom textures are a ways off so we don't need to be worrying about this right now :P

SVE v0.3.0 is out!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SVE v0.3.0

- Laythe Clouds Finished

- Laythe Atmosphere Finished

- Laythe Aurora Finished

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Laythe longs for your approval, go forth and approve

Javascript is disabled. View full album

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why the imgur album won't update in the post but if you go to the album on the actual imgur website the updated photos show up...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and it seems you guys only want rings on Jool so thats that poll :) Red Iron Crown could you delete it for me? :D

SVE v0.3.0 is out!

SVE v0.3.0

- Laythe Clouds Finished

- Laythe Atmosphere Finished

- Laythe Aurora Finished

Laythe longs for your approval, go forth and approve

http://imgur.com/a/Jt8EY

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know why the imgur album won't update in the post but if you go to the album on the actual imgur website the updated photos show up...

- - - Updated - - -

Gratz on the release! Also what if you do something like neptune to jool? Idk just a idea

neptune-possible-comet-impact-100722-02.jpg?1292270952

Guys whatever you do don't update to the latest EVE-Overhaul release, rbray changed how some things worked and Proot just posted that there might be a bug where things are showing up pink. I'm going to test it now but wait until I give it the OK to update.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so it seems the latest Overhaul version is borked. I believe under rbray's license use of MIT that I can distribute the EnvriomentalVisualEnhancements folder so I'm going to update the download with the version that works. If you already have the old download you don't need to update to this version, its only for people downloading the mod for the first time.

- - - Updated - - -

SVE v0.3.1 is out!

SVE v0.3.1

- EnvriomentalVisualEnhacements folder added

This folder is licensed under MIT. All credit for this work goes to rbray

Only newbs need this download, Ha Ha!

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/commits/Overhaul/x86-Release.zip

I'm excited that rbray is coding again, and that you are already making some awesome effects with the new stuff!

Anecdotal but maybe it will help isolate: I'm using SVE 0.3.0 with EVE-WIP from Oct 29th drop (the beta prep one) without issues (my gut says the cloud separation that rbray started 2 days ago might be a source of pink effects).

https://github.com/rbray89/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/commits/Overhaul/x86-Release.zip

I'm excited that rbray is coding again, and that you are already making some awesome effects with the new stuff!

Anecdotal but maybe it will help isolate: I'm using SVE 0.3.0 with EVE-WIP from Oct 29th drop (the beta prep one) without issues (my gut says the cloud separation that rbray started 2 days ago might be a source of pink effects).

Yeah it was the most recent version at the time of my posting. He seems to have updated it again but I'll have to poke that tomorrow.

I have some progress on Jool, sorry its taken me so long. I haven't been able to make anything I really liked. This is the first thing I've gotten to look decent. It's based off of Jupiter minus the big red spot. Let me know what you guys think. Please keep in mind that the atmospheric effects still aren't in place nor the rings so this isn't what it would look like in the end.

BwC3kZs.png