Depreciated SVE -Do Not Enter-

Nhawks17

1 hour ago, Akira_R said:

@Nhawks17 are you aware that there is a spot at the equator with a very noticable seam? If not I can get some screen shots posted as soon as I get home (in like 7 hours)

Yes I'm aware. It'll be fixed before the release version 

The cubemaps he's working on are supposed to fix that. Let us all give praise to the Blue Text, and hope that it soon sends it's blue-y goodness to grace us again with it's wonderful presence.

tried the eve u posted last page to fix the error when looking at mountains and now the clouds are big greyis blocky blocks:0.0:

ima just stick with what u put oout for now as that error from looking at mountains isnt constant and is only at space center anyway. now off to finishh buiilding my mods i want to usse to play with

2 hours ago, Akira_R said:

@Calvin_Maclure do you have Kopernicus installed? This definitely happens in my install and im pretty sure it started happening after installing kopernicus and 64k, and with the most recent updates to 64k and SVE I actually have no clouds at the main menu, but they work fine in game so meh, doesnt really matter

EDIT: @Nhawks17 are you aware that there is a spot at the equator with a very noticable seam? If not I can get some screen shots posted as soon as I get home (in like 7 hours)

I actually did not have Kopernicus in 1.0.5, but I did have EVE and did get that split thingy. Now, in order to have OPM, I have Kopernicus (up to date version) along with OPM, EVE and SVE and Scatterer. So, still getting the same issue with that in 1.1 as I did in 1.0.5, Kopernicus or not. 

Cheers, 

CM

2 hours ago, NoobSauce said:

Eyeball approves http://imgur.com/a/LjVHH

:wink:

Thank you.

So what ended up being the issue? Glad you were able to get it fixed! Looks good!

CM

1 hour ago, Calvin_Maclure said:

So what ended up being the issue? Glad you were able to get it fixed! Looks good!

CM

He had a file in his data folder that shouldn't have been there :wink: 

EDIT: Disregard, im an idiot.

I dont quite have the time to read through all the posts, so im not sure if this has already been asked, sorry if it has.

Let me start by saying im very satisfied by the mod so far, but I have one thing i would like to say. When in flight, the clouds from above look really low resolution, and i was wondering if there might be (in the future) a high resolution version of the textures for computers that can handle it? This issue is the one problem i have, and while it may not seem like a big deal, its almost a deal breaker for me, as the idea of this type of mod is to make the atmosphere and environment look much better.

I believe the in-flight cloud textures are like this in stock EVE, so i completely understand, seeing as SVE is in early development. But i would just like to bring it to your attention, in case you have time to change it i would be very grateful and i imagine others would also be.

Regardless, i appreciate your work.

Edit: this is when in upper atmosphere or low orbit, im sure they look great from a distance.

Edited by kerbalresearch

32 minutes ago, kerbalresearch said:

I dont quite have the time to read through all the posts, so im not sure if this has already been asked, sorry if it has.

Let me start by saying im very satisfied by the mod so far, but I have one thing i would like to say. When in flight, the clouds from above look really low resolution, and i was wondering if there might be (in the future) a high resolution version of the textures for computers that can handle it? This issue is the one problem i have, and while it may not seem like a big deal, its almost a deal breaker for me, as the idea of this type of mod is to make the atmosphere and environment look much better.

I believe the in-flight cloud textures are like this in stock EVE, so i completely understand, seeing as SVE is in early development. But i would just like to bring it to your attention, in case you have time to change it i would be very grateful and i imagine others would also be.

Regardless, i appreciate your work.

Edit: this is when in upper atmosphere or low orbit, im sure they look great from a distance.

go to the github for versions up to ultra resolution. next make sure u didnt install eve seprate use the one that comes with sve

Edited by sidfu

34 minutes ago, kerbalresearch said:

Starting off your post like this really doesn't make it seem like its worth giving my time to help you

4 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Starting off your post like this really doesn't make it seem like its worth giving my time to help you

Well its not quite possible in the time-frame i have to read 60 pages of comments.

Regardless someone else helped me out so nevermind.

Also, just for the layman, it might help to say in the OP that there are different versions on github for higher visual quality. This was the source of my confusion. Apologies.

Edited by kerbalresearch

I've just encountered a problem - after maximally zooming out textures for citylights seem to be doubled, when scrolling (zooming) these textures seem to be flickering

http://imgur.com/LPDnO7d

http://pastebin.com/rm9qBWqM

Mods:SVE Ultra +

Scatterer

Distant object enh

Texture replacer

PBS and hooligan labs

I'm checking this on lower resolutions

EDIT: update: lower resolutions look exactly the same, checked just on SVE + scatterer

Edited by quarrion
typo

15 minutes ago, Zefnoly said:

@Nhawks17 I got a question. I remember a year back EVE or some else cloud pack used to have a shadow layer for the clouds and it made it looks really realistic from low orbit. Could it be possible you add that in the future? I bet it might would look cool in low orbit, especially with your high ress pack. I understand if it would cause issues.

Shadows should be built-in to EVE already.

2 minutes ago, Zefnoly said:

Possible to get it with SVE? If not i'm fine without if he is not going to add it. Love how the city lights looks like in SVE i can even see the cities at daytime as tiny gray roads and buildings. And i'm fan of using ultra resolution after 1.1.2 (which doesn't lag for me anymore).

The cloud shadows are there?

speaking about city, night & lights here some good source to get inspire from our great planet

What are original came from:

Cheers!

Edited by Blacks

What you see there is a short video montage made up from recorded video provide by ISS station HDD experiment:

"The High Definition Earth Viewing (HDEV) experiment aboard the ISS was activated April 30, 2014. It is mounted on the External Payload Facility of the European Space Agency’s Columbus module. This experiment includes several commercial HD video cameras aimed at the earth which are enclosed in a pressurized and temperature controlled housing. Video from these cameras is transmitted back to earth and also streamed live on this channel. While the experiment is operational, views will typically sequence though the different cameras. Between camera switches, a gray and then black color slate will briefly appear. Since the ISS is in darkness during part of each orbit, the images will be dark at those times. During periods of loss of signal with the ground or when HDEV is not operating, a gray color slate or previously recorded video may be seen."

Live real time traking ISS station + live video stream:
http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/International_Space_Station/Where_is_the_International_Space_Station

live video stream & recorded video
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/iss-hdev-payload

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/917.html

enjoy it :wink:

Edited by Blacks

3 hours ago, Blacks said:

What you see there is a short video montage made up from recorded video provide by ISS station HDD experiment:

"The High Definition Earth Viewing (HDEV) experiment aboard the ISS was activated April 30, 2014. It is mounted on the External Payload Facility of the European Space Agency’s Columbus module. This experiment includes several commercial HD video cameras aimed at the earth which are enclosed in a pressurized and temperature controlled housing. Video from these cameras is transmitted back to earth and also streamed live on this channel. While the experiment is operational, views will typically sequence though the different cameras. Between camera switches, a gray and then black color slate will briefly appear. Since the ISS is in darkness during part of each orbit, the images will be dark at those times. During periods of loss of signal with the ground or when HDEV is not operating, a gray color slate or previously recorded video may be seen."

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/International_Space_Station/Where_is_the_International_Space_Station

Know about this already, but still thanks for providing information and further sources. :) 

EDIT: @Nhawks17 Your work is jut to beautiful. Had to post pictures again: Jeb having the world at his feet....

Edited by DasBananenbrot

6 hours ago, Blacks said:

Spoiler

Wow!  Very cool!  And that shot at the start of the video, where we saw only part of an arm (part of the MSS, maybe the Canadarm 2, I think), it reminded me of the first scene in Earth orbit in "2001", where the orbital nuclear weapon platform goes by.

18 hours ago, Blacks said:

Spoiler

The edited video is quite possibly one of the most beautiful things I've seen. :) 

Edited by algeo
Formatting gone wrong

OK so just downloaded the 6.4UR and well i have no clouds, city lights were working but there were 0 clouds unzipped it, and copied both folders (EVE and SVE) into gamedata folder.  Not sure how i possibly screwed this up unless its an issue w/ 1.1.2 

Edit:  Remembered seeing something about kopernicus, which i had insalled for extra solar system, uninstalled and now let there be clouds, so problem semi fixed, hopefully modder (which btw thank you for all you hard work really is appreciated) can possibly figure out what causes conflict and solve it.

Edited by ironhawx

1 hour ago, ironhawx said:

OK so just downloaded the 6.4UR and well i have no clouds, city lights were working but there were 0 clouds unzipped it, and copied both folders (EVE and SVE) into gamedata folder.  Not sure how i possibly screwed this up unless its an issue w/ 1.1.2 

Edit:  Remembered seeing something about kopernicus, which i had insalled for extra solar system, uninstalled and now let there be clouds, so problem semi fixed, hopefully modder (which btw thank you for all you hard work really is appreciated) can possibly figure out what causes conflict and solve it.

You have the last Kopernicus update 1.03?

I have problems with clouds in menu options when dont load sometimes, but after load game the clouds is there! I think kopernicus there any problem.

First off, this mod is great!  I've really missed clouds, city lights, etc. since upgrading to 1.1.x, and haven't managed to figure out enough of the new EVE config format yet to port my old setup to the new KSP.

I present a few suggestions / ideas for your consideration.  If they don't make it into your next version, I'd be delighted if you could pass along any pointers for tackling these tweaks myself.

1) Is it possible to thin out the clouds?  While they're the best looking clouds I've ever seen, they do make it difficult to see the terrain underneath when trying to land in a particular biome, etc.

Spoiler

Something between your current cloud coverage and the density of the default EVE 1.1 clouds would be great.  Also from past posts, I assume you're already working on the seam visible in the first pic.

fHcL8S2.png

2) Can the Kerbin pole auroras be diffused somewhat?  I know there's a balance between trying to make them look realistic from orbit while still making them vibrant and fun to fly through with an aircraft in the atmosphere.  I think injecting a bit of purple into them as well (especially the Antarctic one) would look great (or maybe on other planets, if people complain that this would be too unrealistic on Kerbin).

Spoiler

The second pic below shows the setup I had on KSP 1.0.5 using the Auroras from AVP-V2 with some adjustments; although others might call mine a bit *too* subtle.  Again, IMHO something in between would rock.

cu7A7wF.png

pDKMGd4.png

3) You've got some of the best city lights I've seen (first photo), and I love the way you erased areas of EVE's textures to make the cities more sparse.  But from high altitudes I still like the look of these better (second / third photo).  It's a texture from KSPRC Renaissance Compilation v-0.2 that I manually thinned out (see main.png in my pack).  They're a little less splotchy, a slightly warmer orange color, and have a magic twinkle when you orbit around Kerbin.  Tried to integrate it into your mod pack but sadly my kung fu is not strong enough.

Spoiler

5saANR5.png

(a4qoThZ.png
(click above to zoom in; you can't really see them otherwise)

6n39cPZ.png

4) Any chance getting lightning back?  The old AVP out-of-box lightning was messed up, but did look wonderful if the configs were manually tweaked to tone down the alpha values (which made the frequency of appearance of strikes more realistic).

I realize visuals is a really subjective territory and some of the raw screenshots I used above to help convey my ideas don't look as good as your out-of-box ones.  But hopefully it gets across what I mean, and maybe gives you some ideas to chew on.

Edited by Fwiffo
Added zoom note

14 minutes ago, Fwiffo said:

First off, this mod is great!  I've really missed clouds, city lights, etc. since upgrading to 1.1.x, and haven't managed to figure out enough of the new EVE config format yet to port my old setup to the new KSP.

I present a few suggestions / ideas for your consideration.  If they don't make it into your next version, I'd be delighted if you could pass along any pointers for tackling these tweaks myself.

1) Is it possible to thin out the clouds?  While they're the best looking clouds I've ever seen, they do make it difficult to see the terrain underneath when trying to land in a particular biome, etc.

Reveal hidden contents

Something between your current cloud coverage and the density of the default EVE 1.1 clouds would be great.  Also from past posts, I assume you're already working on the seam visible in the first pic.

fHcL8S2.png

2) Can the Kerbin pole auroras be diffused somewhat?  I know there's a balance between trying to make them look realistic from orbit while still making them vibrant and fun to fly through with an aircraft in the atmosphere.  I think injecting a bit of purple into them as well (especially the Antarctic one) would look great (or maybe on other planets, if people complain that this would be too unrealistic on Kerbin).

Reveal hidden contents

The second pic below shows the setup I had on KSP 1.0.5 using the Auroras from AVP-V2 with some adjustments; although others might call mine a bit *too* subtle.  Again, IMHO something in between would rock.

cu7A7wF.png

pDKMGd4.png

3) You've got some of the best city lights I've seen (first photo), and I love the way you erased areas of EVE's textures to make the cities more sparse.  But from high altitudes I still like the look of these better (second / third photo).  It's a texture from KSPRC Renaissance Compilation v-0.2 that I manually thinned out (see main.png in my pack).  They're a little less splotchy, a slightly warmer orange color, and have a magic twinkle when you orbit around Kerbin.  Tried to integrate it into your mod pack but sadly my kung fu is not strong enough.

Reveal hidden contents

5saANR5.png

(a4qoThZ.png
(click above to zoom in; you can't really see them otherwise)

6n39cPZ.png

4) Any chance getting lightning back?  The old AVP out-of-box lightning was messed up, but did look wonderful if the configs were manually tweaked to tone down the alpha values (which made the frequency of appearance of strikes more realistic).

I realize visuals is a really subjective territory and some of the raw screenshots I used above to help convey my ideas don't look as good as your out-of-box ones.  But hopefully it gets across what I mean, and maybe gives you some ideas to chew on.

1) You can try removing the cirrus layer from Kerbin and see if that's good for you. I won't be changing the density in the release version because I like the way it looks as is :wink: 

2) The auroras are an area that I think most people claim needs work on. While I would agree, that is very low on the priority list for SVE and would likely not come until a couple of versions after the release.

3) It's funny that people actually like them when I absolutely hate them :P I plan on revisiting the city lights after the release version is out and completely revamp them.

4) Lightning is currently not possible in the new version of EVE.

Don't take my responses as me not taking your suggestions to heart. I really do, every suggestion you guys tell me helps me develop this further.

Edited by Nhawks17

@Nhawks17 wow that was a quick reply!

14 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Lightning is currently not possible in the new version of EVE

Oh, bugger.  I thought in the old version it was just two textures that rotated around the planet in opposite directions (or different speeds).  One was a sparse pattern of lightning strikes, the other was a mask that would make most of the first texture transparent except for a few random holes that would occasionally line up with the strikes in the first to create "flashes of light".  Or something like that.

14 minutes ago, Nhawks17 said:

Don't take my responses as me not taking your suggestions to heart. I really do, every suggestion you guys tell me helps me develop this further.

No worries - I'd never try to impose my views on 'ya, just bringing up ideas / feedback.

btw Just tried your mod plus scatterer, it does seem to make the city lights look better (at the cost of worsening #1).  Can't wait to see what your revamp will bring.

Since I forgot to say so before, thanks a ton for all your hard work on this mod.

Edited by Fwiffo