[PART, 1.0.2] Anatid Robotics / MuMech - MechJeb - Autopilot - Historical thread

r4m0n

Walsht9 : well it works fine here. Without more useful info, a save game or at least some screenshot those report are not really useful.

K3|Chris : I lowered the distance it aims for before stopping, and the AP does not have the time to deactivate itself now. It's the same bug that plagued the version I released in September just before going on a trip.

I have to think of a proper way do manage this...

Hello Sarbian and all. I have noticed that when using the Landing Guidance mod, after you have selected whichever target (KSC, VAB or your own coordinates), the unit immediately slews to correct orientation (for time of burn) and if you do NOT use autoWarp this is fine. However, if you have selected autoWarp, the craft warps (holding last orientation) and warps to the time of needed burn, comes out of warp and then starts burn(s) as craft is slewing to needed position.

It looks to me, in humble opinion, that the warp needs to shut down sooner so that craft can get into correct position after being stuck in warp position.

It would also be nice if it was possible to create a node to be used for landing at a point that would 'adjust' to take into account the orbit of the body and the vessel. Landing guidance does this automatically (somehow) and is great. it would be real helpful to be able to create a node that was 'locked' somehow to SoI reference and took rotation into account.

MJ is my most used mod. It allows me to pursue the aspects of KSP that I enjoy without having to worry about eye / hand coordination for flight, docking and landing. It makes the game a lot more enjoyable for ME....

Many, MANY thanks to Sarbian and all who do and have worked on it.

Hello all.

Have a strange issue.

Starting a sandbox the mechjeb loads on a ship; if i start a new carreer or load one i will have the item but it is unusable in the list, like pressed.

I see it but can't use.

using last version of the game and the latest patch available of the lab.

Any suggestion?

I don't think that's the problem. Any parts added after a node has been researched will not be available until it is researched individually. Fortunately, it's free. Find the flight control node in the research centre. If the AR202 part isn't greyed out, click it. Hope this helps.

(cross-post from Procedural Fairings thread, as I suspect the problem lies with MechJeb)

Hey all! I've been having this bug with Procedural Fairings and MechJeb lately...

I carry out a lot of routine launches, so I often outsource the tedious work to MechJeb (running v2.1.1), but I ran into this problem recently, where MechJeb would stage (i.e. jettison) my payload fairing walls and decouple the built-in decoupler in the payload fairing base. To see exactly what I mean,

. Basically MechJeb will jettison/decouple all Procedural Fairings parts at some point during launch. In the video, I used a rocket with this staging:

• 0: Fairing walls (had them set up to jettison on Custom01, so I wanted to keep them out of reach of staging)
  • 1: Fairing base
  • 2: Orbital injection stage, main launch stage separation
  • 3: Main launch stage, 4x SRB separation
  • 4: Initial 4x SRB stage, to get us off the ground

Moments after decoupling stage 3 and activating the orbital injection engine, the fairing walls would pop off and the decoupler deactivate, thus leaving me with a freely floating payload post-injection burn.

I have never seen MechJeb interfere this way with any other parts, so it seems (AFAIK) to be MechJeb and Procedural Fairings somehow clashing.

Does anyone know of a fix? If you do, I beg you to post it here. I'm on the verge of desperation, as FAR dislikes my rockets unless I use fairings, and I can't use them under the current circumstances :(

Cheers, :D

- ThomsenX

EDIT: Was informed in referred thread to use Stop at stage #, but MechJeb's autostage function should stop at stage 2, yet it activates higher stages (0 and 1 simultaneously) while using stage 2.

Edited by ThomsenX

EDIT: Was informed in referred thread to use Stop at stage #, but MechJeb's autostage function should stop at stage 2, yet it activates higher stages (0 and 1 simultaneously) while using stage 2.

There is another location where you set staging. Perhaps that is getting priority. I think it's just "settings."

There is another location where you set staging. Perhaps that is getting priority. I think it's just "settings."

I realize now that my wording wasn't very clear :D I wasn't using Stop at stage # because I expected MechJeb to not trigger fairings prematurely (because a lower stage's engine was burning on autopilot at the time). Stop on stage # works like a charm, and I ended up using it in defeat, so finally my space station received its load of snacks and supplies.

My inquiry was more related to this question: why does MechJeb stage off the two upper stages (containing only fairing decouplers) when [1] there's already an active stage with an engine burning and [2] there are neither fuel tanks nor engines in any of the two stages above the active stage?

The staging config looks fine so it's indeed strange. Which part is the root part of the rocket ?

I use procedural fairing & MJ often, and I don't think I had this before (but I often set my fairing to eject when the orbital stage engine starts so ...)

Edited by sarbian

From my experience having your last engine bellow you fairings in the staging always makes MJ ditch the fairings right after firing that engine, even if you're a 20km alt or whatever, you have to use stop at # to not have it do that.

Would be nice if MJ only auto-staged to detach spent tanks instead.

The root part is the large stock radial probe (L01), attached in the orbital stage (which serves as a rendezvous tug too). Nothing too uncommon there, I guess.

EDIT: i wonder if an 'ignore tag' could potentially be applied to certain parts, which MechJeb would recognize and ignore? I know it'd take a few lines of code from the dev, but it would be incredibly useful.

Edited by ThomsenX

Why does the last version force you to back up to 50 meter from target port before docking?

I use mechjeb docking for docking huge ships and tend to go within 10 meter from target and lined up before activating it, as its now it easy eat 400 unit monoprop trying to dock.

The 1/17 version was better here, it however has an bug so it don't use torque on probes.

Why does the last version force you to back up to 50 meter from target port before docking?

I use mechjeb docking for docking huge ships and tend to go within 10 meter from target and lined up before activating it, as its now it easy eat 400 unit monoprop trying to dock.

The 1/17 version was better here, it however has an bug so it don't use torque on probes.

If you're 10m away and lined up you might aswell finish it yourself...

From my experience having your last engine bellow you fairings in the staging always makes MJ ditch the fairings right after firing that engine, even if you're a 20km alt or whatever, you have to use stop at # to not have it do that.

Would be nice if MJ only auto-staged to detach spent tanks instead.

There actually is a fix possible for that... there's a list of modules that MJ ignores when deciding whether or not it should stage. Adding the fairing modules (or fairing decoupler.... I forget which) fixes that.

I actually suggested that long ago but I think my timing was poor, development seemed to be slow but thread activity high so it probably got lost in the noise.

If Sarbian doesn't see this I'll dig up the necessary module names and poke him on IRC

The last docking I did, (don't recall which 18x build) it got down to a short distance then slowed to an extremely slow forward speed, constantly firing RCS back and forth but still making very slow forward progress. I finally shut the docking AP off and manually activated the jets to shove it home the last half meter or so due to the mono being close to depleted. (Two FL-R1 tanks.)

What would be very nice if it can be adjusted is increasing the range at which the docking ports can be targeted. With high part count ships and lag it gets to be a bit of a nail biter waiting for the range to close to where when switching ships the docking port right click menus will stay open on the other ship. It leaves a rather short time for the docking AP to get moved into alignment. If I can see the docking port on the other ship, it should be possible to target it, from at least 200 meters.

I do like the change in KSP .23 where the right click menus stay open when rotating the camera around to get the opposing ship into view from both ships. That makes docking a much easier process, with the open menus acting as 'flags' to locate the other ship. Docking on the dark side, without lights? Much easier in .23! (Still want a sunrise/sunset, midday/midnight option for rendezvous and launch/landing functions.)

Problem is ships with 500 part count and 2-500 ton making them very hard to controll with less than an meter accuracy but you can get within 10-20 meter pretty easy.

As the reminding distance is short the monoprop use is less important to and it look like it has gone up again in this version.

Here it look like its 41 meter, if you are to close it move you out and then inn again.

The good news is that it automatically reduces speed then getting close.

That's one I know off but I don't have a fix for yet. The stage stats can change while the drawing is done and you get that exception (it's a bit more complex but that the short version)

Hi all,

I've got the latest version of MJ and I completely removed any MJ files before I installed it....however, with almost all of my ships, large and small, many parts and few parts, I've been having an issue with MJ's Autopilot constantly rolling my ships left and right and MASSIVELY overcompensating when trying to point towards a node to the point I have to intervene and try and 'help' it aim at the node with the movement keys or even turning autopilot off and having to fly manually. It used to work fine on these same ships before....what happened? :(

Alright, I'm sure this has been fixed/answered but here it goes. Just installed 2.1.1. I've done everything I can imagine to attempt to get it to work in career mode, even followed people's advice on youtube/google. Can't get it to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.